Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

GIANCAVIA

RE: Still Opening Doors For Women?

Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:28 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 49):

Me too. If you're right behind me, I'll hold the door for you. I don't care what's between your legs. It's a door.

Pretty much!

WarRI1

Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:23 am

Quoting aa757first (Reply 46):
One display of chivalry that must die is the "women out before men on an elevator" rule. It's absolutely ridiculous on a crowded elevator.

If I am first out, I hold the door for everyone. If I am not first, I will always let the women behind me exit before me. My wife taught me that a long time ago. If she is happy, of course so am I. In fact she taught me that also.   
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

fr8mech

Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:44 am

One display of chivalry that must die is the "women out before men on an elevator" rule. It's absolutely ridiculous on a crowded elevator.

Never heard of that one. Thinking about it, I'm rarely the first out of an elevator. I stand in the back and normally wave people out and follow. If I'm with the kids, I hold them back, let them out and follow.

That is, of course, in an elevator where I can work my way to the back without being a butt about it.

Me too. If you're right behind me, I'll hold the door for you. I don't care what's between your legs. It's a door.

When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Max Q

Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:49 am

Quoting andz (Reply 47):
I am a patch wearing member of a motorcycle club and if I am wearing my colours at a mall I go out of my way to be polite

Well, that says it all..
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

threeifbyair

Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:04 am

There is another school of thought on the elevator situation. Women might be uncomfortable with a strange man getting out of the elevator after them, especially in a place that is not crowded.

Parking garages and hotels especially. If it is me and a woman in the elevator, I'm 100% getting out first and walking purposefully towards my car/room. Don't want to scare someone.

Even in my apartment building, if it is late at night and we're going to the same floor, I try to make the first move off the elevator to prevent the "this creep is following me" from becoming an issue.

When there are other people around, I just try to get out when it makes sense.

sw733

Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:35 pm

I hold doors for everyone, regardless of gender. I do notice quite often that men thank me more than women do. Not sure if women view it as a given that I should hold it open for them versus men who truly appreciate it? That's my thought, correct or incorrect.

Beardown91737

Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:30 am

At my new work location, we have a young lady from Beijing who is insistent on being last through the door and that is against all my reflexes, but I try to respect the cultural differences. She went to college at Univ of Arkansas, so she has had some time to adjust to local customs.
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.

Boeing717200

Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:38 am

You show me a woman that doesn't like to have a door opened, doesn't like a man to stand when she sits at a table or doesn't like any other traditional social courtesies and I'll show you a beautiful but disgruntled 50 year old b***h that can't figure out why she's still single.

She's two doors down from my office at work.

[Edited 2014-10-03 19:19:37]
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

Scruffer

Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:44 am

Quoting sw733 (Reply 55):

I hold doors for everyone, regardless of gender. I do notice quite often that men thank me more than women do. Not sure if women view it as a given that I should hold it open for them versus men who truly appreciate it? That's my thought, correct or incorrect.

I do the same, or at least I attempt to whenever I notice another person coming through a door with me. I find it the polite thing to do.

PHX787

Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:10 am

A girl opened the door for ME yesterday, actually. Not sure what for. Japanese people-- in general -- dont do this much, but she literally walked in front of me and opened the door up. She didn't work at the store I was walking into either.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

Max Q

Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:15 am

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 57):
You show me a woman that doesn't like to have a door opened, doesn't like a man to stand when she sits at a table or doesn't like any other traditional social courtesies and I'll show you a beautiful but disgruntled 50 year old b***h that can't figure out why she's still single.

She's two doors down from my office at work.

I couldn't agree more.

But they do have plenty of cats...
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

comorin

Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:30 pm

Sir, I do not have a door between my legs.

PHX787

Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:40 pm

Quoting comorin (Reply 61):

Sir, I do not have a door between my legs.

You will when Doc's done with you   

comorin

Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:04 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 62):

Well played, Sir!   

Kiwirob

Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:53 am

I'll always open a door for a lady, here in Norway you'll often get some odd looks and the woman will know automatically you're not a Norwegian male, many don't even know what to do, it can be very funny, especially in remote parts of the country where the people hardly meet foreigners.

LH526

Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:37 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 59):

A girl opened the door for ME yesterday, actually. Not sure what for. Japanese people-- in general -- dont do this much, but she literally walked in front of me and opened the door up. She didn't work at the store I was walking into either.

Aren't the japanese one of the most courteous, friendly and kind people on the planet? I always liked their attitude!

I hold doors for people and don't care about their sex ... it's a courtesy to do, plus it adds Karma points  
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

PHX787

Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:50 pm

Quoting lh526 (Reply 65):
Aren't the japanese one of the most courteous, friendly and kind people on the planet? I always liked their attitude!

Well in bustling tokyo, nobody expects to open the door for anyone. Also more likely than no, the doors are automatic.

yyz717

Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:27 pm

I hold doors open for both women and men, but don't read anything into that.

However, depending on my mood, if they don't acknowledge, I sometimes say "your're welcome" loud enough for them to hear.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Aeroflot001

Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:54 pm

I open doors for everyone within proximity, I am surprised at how many people do it at FIU its quite nice.

When I'm in Argentina I also try to open and close elevator doors since many elevators in residential building continue to be the manual door type. It's common courtesy to close the doors as well if you are getting off at a different floor than someone else on the lift.

cgnnrw

Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:09 pm

I experienced this once while travelling on a train in Germany:

A young female, I'm guessing between 20-25 years old, with a HUGE camping backpack on her back enters the compartment I'm sitting in along with an older woman. The young woman manages to get the backpack off and after two or three attempts manages to get it up on the luggage rack. Afterwards the older woman says to the younger woman "there was once a time when a gentleman would have assisted a young lady with her luggage". The younger woman says "yeah I know". My response to both of them "there was once a time when women weren't allowed to vote, go to the university, have an abortion, open a bank account, hold public office or travel alone. Welcome to modern times"
A330 man.

IADCA

Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:36 pm

Quoting cgnnrw (Reply 69):
A young female, I'm guessing between 20-25 years old, with a HUGE camping backpack on her back enters the compartment I'm sitting in along with an older woman. The young woman manages to get the backpack off and after two or three attempts manages to get it up on the luggage rack. Afterwards the older woman says to the younger woman "there was once a time when a gentleman would have assisted a young lady with her luggage". The younger woman says "yeah I know". My response to both of them "there was once a time when women weren't allowed to vote, go to the university, have an abortion, open a bank account, hold public office or travel alone. Welcome to modern times"

There was once a time people didn't make up stories to post on the internet.

Or, alternatively, there was once a time people didn't butt into others' conversations solely to make unnecessary unfriendly comments. (Of course, butting into a conversation on the internet to make an unfriendly comment is totally kosher  Wink)

[Edited 2014-10-10 12:37:29]

cgnnrw

Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:00 pm

Quoting IADCA (Reply 70):
There was once a time people didn't make up stories to post on the internet.

Oh I'm sorry I don't recall seeing you in the compartment.......

Quoting IADCA (Reply 70):
Or, alternatively, there was once a time people didn't butt into others' conversations solely to make unnecessary unfriendly comments.

But when you are the topic of their conversation and making totally inappropriate comments its hardly butting in now is it?
A330 man.

IADCA

Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:46 pm

Quoting cgnnrw (Reply 71):
Oh I'm sorry I don't recall seeing you in the compartment.......

Maybe this actually happened, but I've never heard someone spew out a 32-word sentence as the first thing they say to (and lecture) a stranger. This reads like exactly the kind of crap people make up on the internet.

Quoting cgnnrw (Reply 71):
But when you are the topic of their conversation and making totally inappropriate comments its hardly butting in now is it?

I'm not sure the comment is remotely as inappropriate as your response. There's a bit of a difference between not helping someone with a bag and denying basic civil liberties. Two wrongs don't make a right.