Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

iFlyLOTs
Topic Author

Looking For A New Phone

Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:44 pm

So my upgrade is about to come and I'm looking for a new phone. I currently have an iPhone 5, but I really want to get rid of it. After being treated like a first grader in the Apple store on multiple occasions I'm finally fed up with Apple.

I've been looking into a few phones, the Nokia Lumia Icon, the HTC One M8 and the Samsung Galaxy 5, and I can't really decide which one I want. I'm leaning towards the Icon because it runs WP and I have had issues in the past with my android devices. But that being said, I am still open to the idea of an android phone.

Any thoughts on phones would be helpful.

Thanks!

teme82

RE: Looking For A New Phone

Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:48 pm

I have Lumia 1020 the camera is awesome. You now have access to the full size RAW (DNG) so it's perfect your every day photos. Plus it has WP 8.1 with all the goods.

vishaljo

Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:07 am

There's nothing like a Nexus, a new one should arrive in another months time.
If you want to upgrade right away, there's always the

neutrino

Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:25 pm

I just got a Xiaomi Redmi Note. A amazing phone for its price. Might be an exaggeration but I feel that pound for pound its the greatest value smartphone on Earth. So much better than my immediate past Samsung Grand and at almost half the price. However, I don't think its available in the US yet. Still, it can be ordered on-line from quite a few sources.
http://www.cnet.com/products/xiaomi-redmi-note/
I paid US$159 for the higher 1.7GHZ 2GB RAM version.
For those who are wary of China phones, this is one of their few reputable and trusted makes.
A big bang for small bucks!

northstardc4m

Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:49 pm

If you like Windows phones, the Icon is a good choice IMHO.
The S5 and the M8 are both very very similar really... I'd go with Samsung due to HTC's recent woes with the loss of the Beats contract and supply problems.

[Edited 2014-09-12 10:52:32]

zckls04

Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:54 pm

I am also looking to upgrade. I currently have a Galaxy 3 which I've been very happy with. However my wife wants me to get an upgrade so she can have it   . If I'm happy with the Galaxy 3, should I just get a Galaxy 5? Or are there better alternatives now?

I'd ideally like to stick with Android but if a Windows phone was significantly better I'd switch. Only real requirement is removable storage.

northstardc4m

Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:23 pm

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 5):
I'd ideally like to stick with Android but if a Windows phone was significantly better I'd switch. Only real requirement is removable storage.

In that case... go with the Galaxy S5 or another Galaxy (like the soon to be released note 4 if you want a "phablet")... SD card storage is lacking from the best Nokia WM8.1 phones. Samsung is good about including good SD slots... the S5 can take up to 128GB cards.

iFlyLOTs
Topic Author

Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:30 pm

Quoting neutrino (Reply 3):
Might be an exaggeration but I feel that pound for pound its the greatest value smartphone on Earth.

I've actually heard the same from a friend who decided to import one for himself.

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 5):
I currently have a Galaxy 3 which I've been very happy with. However my wife wants me to get an upgrade so she can have it

That's one of the exact reasons my girlfriend wants me to upgrade!

Quoting northstardc4m (Reply 4):
If you like Windows phones, the Icon is a good choice IMHO.

I'm pretty sure that's the one I'm going to go with. I just want to get the developer preview with it so I can go to 8.1

teme82

Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:59 am

Quoting iFlyLOTs (Reply 7):
I'm pretty sure that's the one I'm going to go with. I just want to get the developer preview with it so I can go to 8.1

If you get WP 8.1 in that way you might have some issues when the customized version for Icon is released. Then you have to manually do a fresh installation via PC. MS Mobile has the proper software on the net for that. But that takes around 30 to 60 minutes depending your connection.

elbandgeek

Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:48 pm

If you're on Verizon as I assume you are given you mentioned the Icon, The HTC M8 now has both WP and Android versions and so far I've heard extremely good things about the WP version. I'd still probably lean towards the Icon just because of the support Nokia/Microsoft gives compared to other OEMs. Right now the only issue with it is Verizon is taking their sweet time approving the Cyan update and some people are wondering if it will be released at all or skipped over for Denim.