Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AeroWesty
Topic Author

Safari + DuckDuckGo

Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:33 pm

Just did the update to Safari 7.1 for Mac, and saw the option to use DuckDuckGo for web searches. I just did my first search using DDG vs Google for 'heart gallop', and have to say, I was impressed with the search results DDG presented vs. Google.

Has anyone been using DDG on a regular basis? What's your opinion of it?
International Homo of Mystery

Okie

RE: Safari + DuckDuckGo

Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:39 pm

I have used it quite a bit.
Had good results the main reason I use it is because it does not track you.

Google has just turned into a unmanageable commercial enterprise.

Look for a part for your gas grill, you will have hundreds of new gas grill advertisements for the next few weeks.

Even Chrome has become such a monster that friends at one time thought it was the cat's meow are abandoning it due the amount of memory usage.
Some IT folks come close to calling it malware.
I got rid of it because of the memory usage was astronomical and just continued to grow over time. I really just do not see the need for a Terabyte of RAM just to support Chrome (OK a bit of an exaggeration)

Okie

akiss20

Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:46 pm

Quoting okie (Reply 1):
I got rid of it because of the memory usage was astronomical and just continued to grow over time. I really just do not see the need for a Terabyte of RAM just to support Chrome (OK a bit of an exaggeration)

So what are you using? FF is even worse on memory usage, and IE is IE...

Is Opera or Netscape still around and/or relevant?
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are

Elite

Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:17 am

Quoting AKiss20 (Reply 2):
FF is even worse on memory usage

I don't think FF is worse on memory usage, though as I am not a techie, I don't have actual statistics to back this up - just my personal experience through using both.

FF is the best option here, kind of like DDG vs Google, except Firefox is much more established and battle-tested.

Braniff747SP

Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:54 am

Netscape

Blast from the past there--that hasn't been around for years.

Opera is around and is decent, but no browser (even with its... absurd memory usage) comes to being as powerful as Chrome.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

solarflyer22

Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:31 pm

It's not just a matter of memory usage and that's a very simplistic measure of efficiency or performance for a browser, AeroWesty. The traditional measure is to examine the core engine of the browser and its performance loading pages and running scripts. Memory usage is as much a function of user actions (i.e. how many plugins did you install) as the browser programming.

Safari uses the WebKit core engine which Apple themselves developed in a consortium. Its the fastest core for loading HTML 5 and is generally regarded as the best. It's used in both mobile and desktop versions of Safari.

FireFox uses Gecko which has gotten bloated and Chrome left Webkit when Google when into Chromebook development.
DDG doesn't store IP addresses so there is no way to know who searched for what.

AeroWesty
Topic Author

Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:45 pm

Interesting to see how different people value browsers/search engines and what's most important to them. To me, the resources a browser uses hasn't made that much of an impact over the years—I look at the bottom line of search results. How do I get from point A (the search term) to point B (the most relevant results) best.
International Homo of Mystery

elbandgeek

Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:14 pm

and IE is IE...

Sounds like someone who hasn't used IE in about 6 years.
I went back to it being my main browser as of v10 because it's performance has been going in the exact opposite direction of Chrome's (it really had nowhere to go but up)

As far as search engines goes, I haven't tried DDG but it sounds interesting so I'll have to check it out. I generally use Bing over Google because while it still tracks, Microsoft has made a point of not going off the deep end with it the way Google does and actually uses it to improve results. Once it "learns" your searching habits after awhile, you'd be hard pressed to say the results are in any way inferior to Google's. Plus the rewards are nice. They're not much but regular use will usually build up enough for 5 bucks from Starbucks every few weeks which is nothing to complain about.

Okie

Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:23 pm

Quoting solarflyer22 (Reply 5):
Memory usage is as much a function of user actions (i.e. how many plugins did you install) as the browser programming.

More like how many plugins and processes Chrome automatically installs. I sometimes would see 6 to 30 going on in the task manager eating up 3G of ram or more slowing down everything.

It was constantly grinding away to the point that when I unistalled Chorme I thought something was wrong with my computer because it became quiet instead of grinding away running processes.

Glad it is gone.

Okie

akiss20

Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:24 am

Quoting elbandgeek (Reply 7):

and IE is IE...

Sounds like someone who hasn't used IE in about 6 years.

I only use it on the rare occasions I am forced to use Windows for Windows only software on a Windows partition that hasn't gotten FF or Chrome on it. I use Mac OSX, Ubuntu, and CentOS otherwise. Our newest dual boot Ubuntu/Windows computers have V10 on them. Still not impressed.
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are