Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

blueflyer
Topic Author

Ebola In The US

Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:16 pm

The first confirmed diagnosis of Ebola in the US comes from Dallas.
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metro...by-cdc-first-diagnosis-in-u.s..ece

einsteinboricua

RE: Ebola In The US

Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:14 pm

I'm just waiting to see how Fox will somehow blame Obama for this, even though Republicans were outraged that resources were spent trying to combat the virus and not ISIS in the Middle East.

If more cases are reported, I'd be worried. Ebola is not an easy virus to catch unless you're in contact with the bodily fluids of the person. It's not airborne so it won't spread as fast as flu.

Take a chill pill everyone and just stay put.

DocLightning

Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:21 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 1):
If more cases are reported, I'd be worried. Ebola is not an easy virus to catch unless you're in contact with the bodily fluids of the person. It's not airborne so it won't spread as fast as flu.

AND... It's curable. Admittedly with an expensive experimental medication, but it's curable.

And there is a vaccine. It's not approved for use in humans and is also experimental, but if there is a true outbreak, the vaccine will be fast-tracked into production.

As "The Onion" Reported (and it's amazing how often they are a better news source than the MSM), Ebola is "50 White People Away From a Vaccine." If/when Americans start getting infected, the vaccine will be made. As long as it's poor Black people in Africa, the drug companies have absolutely no reason to spend all that money on approval and manufacture.

seb146

Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:03 am

Ebola is not an easy virus to catch unless you're in contact with the bodily fluids of the person.

I am not really amazed at the sheer number of people all over freaking out about this. I live in California. I don't know anyone who has been to west Africa in the past 20 years. I don't know anyone who knows someone who has been to west Africa in the past 20 years. I have better things to concern myself with than a non-event. Yes, it is tragic and yes, it is treatable and yes, we should be treating it. Keeping all that in mind *yawn* I have stuff to do...

IAHflyer97

Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:00 am

I'm not scared by this, but I am concerned. With how close it is to my home (and many others), all it takes is one mutation to become a real problem. More than it already is. As of right now, I'm not gonna stress over it, but I'm not going to ignore it either.

TWA772LR

Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:53 am

Ebola is a disease, and all diseases should be treated with caution.

That said, don't get peed on by anyone or drink anyones blood and you should fair pretty well.

But to be on the safe side, since I work for an international airline that has a lot of pax fly to and from west Africa, I will be keeping a pair of latex gloves in my jacket pocket at all times and a small thing of hand sanitizer.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 2):
AND... It's curable. Admittedly with an expensive experimental medication, but it's curable.

That's what insurance and Obamacare is for.  

Just wash your hands whenever you get the chance and you'll be fine.  

moo

Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:25 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 5):
That said, don't get peed on by anyone or drink anyones blood and you should fair pretty well.

Or coughed on. Or sneezed on. Or eat food prepared by someone infected. Or handle money that was handled by someone infected.

S75752

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:19 am

Quoting moo (Reply 6):
Or eat food prepared by someone infected. Or handle money that was handled by someone infected.

Isn't it only contagious when it starts showing symptoms, by which someone probably would not be doing those things? And on that note, isn't the virus supposed to survive for not long at all outside of bodily fluids?

Nasty nasty virus, but avoidable and preventable especially in the USA. It seems like the main reason it's spread so crazily in those parts of Africa may be tied to a lot of ignorance about steering clear of those infected, and infected bodies, as well as maybe a lack of proper hygienic practices.

moo

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:31 am

Quoting S75752 (Reply 7):
Isn't it only contagious when it starts showing symptoms, by which someone probably would not be doing those things? And on that note, isn't the virus supposed to survive for not long at all outside of bodily fluids?

You can't trust either of those things, as ebola is also rapidly mutating as it spreads - what may have been short lived yesterday might be living longer today...

(As an aside, we just came back last week from Uganda where my wife was a visiting doctor in a government hospital, so we have both done the update course on handling ebola).

einsteinboricua

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:31 pm

Quoting moo (Reply 6):
Or handle money that was handled by someone infected.

Unless that money was in direct contact with bodily fluids, I doubt the virus will be present. Kinda similar to HIV: the virus doesn't survive long outside the body so unless someone sneezed on a bill and then gave it to you, the risk of infection from handling money should be negligible.

Ebola is "50 White People Away From a Vaccine."

Kinda sad that a nation that leads in so many advances has to suffer the disease before it becomes a priority. It starts wars to prevent them from reaching our shores, yet when diseases strike, it first has to go through a pandemic before it goes into action.

PHX787

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:33 pm

Who was this person? Were they treating one of the two doctors who caught it in Africa?

Good thing that medication is working. Thank you, Big Pharma    
I'm just waiting to see how Fox will somehow blame Obama for this, even though Republicans were outraged that resources were spent trying to combat the virus and not ISIS in the Middle East.

txjim

Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:01 pm

It was just reported on local Dallas media that a family member of the infected person has Ebola symptoms. No link yet.

einsteinboricua

Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:05 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 10):
Who was this person?

This person was, apparently, a person doing who knows what over there, boarded a plane before showing symptoms, and oops. He got it.

Were they treating one of the two doctors who caught it in Africa?

The doctors being treated were purposely brought in and interned in BSL-4 areas (meaning we all knew they had contracted the disease).

You can't deny that Fox News will bring in Republicans who will spew on how this is Obama's fault. Give it a day or so.

Remember, these are politicians who complained how "more troops were sent to fight Ebola rather than ISIS" (even though Politifact said that's a lie)

Proof

VC10BOAC

Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:57 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 3):
I am not really amazed at the sheer number of people all over freaking out about this. I live in California. I don't know anyone who has been to west Africa in the past 20 years. I don't know anyone who knows someone who has been to west Africa in the past 20 years

Well, there actually are. For one, I was in West Africa this past March. Also there are huge clusters of Sierra Leoneans and Liberians living in Maryland/DC/VA, Houston, NY/NJ and Southern California. I personally know several that have travelled there within the past year. It was just a matter of time before the virus found its way here, and there will likely be more .

DIRECTFLT

Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:59 pm

Yesterday, it was announced that the first case of the Ebola virus was discovered in the US, with a patient in a Dallas Hospital.

The timeline given says the man travelled from Liberia on Sept. 19th, and arrived in Dallas on Sept. 20th, to visit family.

The airline was not mentioned. That said, as of Sept. 19th, what likely routes/airlines could the man have taken to get to Dallas on Sept. 20th?

"CDC Director Tom Frieden said on Tuesday that the patient flew from Liberia to Texas on September 19."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lagued-Ebola-HAS-deadly-virus.html

And............................

It seems to me that the Govt. is assuming that the guy --must-- have gotten infected in Liberia.

But, what if he got infected by someone on the airplane flying over?? If so, where and who is that person, and who have they had contact with since flying over???

Yes, the authorities check for fever before they leave Liberia, but, on the way over, someone on the plane could have reached enough of a "fever" stage, enough to be contagious.

How could that happen??? On a long flight, you could be tired enough to fall in a deep sleep. The person next to you might sneeze in your direction enough to get some "spray" on your face. You wake up and rub your face/eyes, and BOOM - YOU'RE INFECTED.

Slcpilot

Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:47 pm

Curiously, threads related to Ebola are being removed from the main civil aviation forum.

einsteinboricua

Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:33 pm

Quoting SLCPilot (Reply 15):
Curiously, threads related to Ebola are being removed from the main civil aviation forum.

Unless they discuss the direct impact to the industry (like route cancelations or lost revenue) I can see why it doesn't belong there.

Quoting DIRECTFLT (Reply 14):
How could that happen??? On a long flight, you could be tired enough to fall in a deep sleep. The person next to you might sneeze in your direction enough to get some "spray" on your face. You wake up and rub your face/eyes, and BOOM - YOU'RE INFECTED.

Someone needs to take a chill pill or two. With Ebola you're not contagious until you start showing symptoms and by then you would feel so ill that travel is the least of your concerns. Ebola is not a cold: you don't spread it while it's incubating.

Some reading helps

victrola

Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:08 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 9):
Unless that money was in direct contact with bodily fluids, I doubt the virus will be present. Kinda similar to HIV: the virus doesn't survive long outside the body so unless someone sneezed on a bill and then gave it to you, the risk of infection from handling money should be negligible.

I'm curious about its ability to live outside the body. Does anyone have some information on this?

zckls04

Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:25 pm

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 5):

Well, that's my weekend ruined.

VC10BOAC

Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:28 pm

Quoting victrola (Reply 17):
I'm curious about its ability to live outside the body. Does anyone have some information on this?

Google is your friend...
http://www.answers.com/Q/How_long_can_Ebola_live_outside_the_body

DocLightning

Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:15 pm

Quoting moo (Reply 8):
You can't trust either of those things, as ebola is also rapidly mutating as it spreads - what may have been short lived yesterday might be living longer today...

There has never, to my knowledge (and I'm and MD with a graduate degree in molecular biology, so I know a lot), been a mutation that allows a virus to completely change its mode of transmission. HIV mutates rapidly and yet it has never changed its mode of transmission (oh, some strains prefer vaginal intercourse while others prefer anal, but it's not as if it went feco-oral or contact). There are huge evolutionary "barriers" to that sort of change and it has never been reported in any virus of which I am aware.

Tugger

Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:18 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 9):
Kinda sad that a nation that leads in so many advances has to suffer the disease before it becomes a priority. It starts wars to prevent them from reaching our shores, yet when diseases strike, it first has to go through a pandemic before it goes into action.

Well it is the fact of medicine and capitalism (and not really a bad one), only when it starts to directly affect the people or countries involved to create an outcry and need for it, or there is money to be made (due a large population elsewhere needing it) do resources get assigned to address a disease. This applied even to the development of the Polio vaccine as well as many others. Yes I feel for the people involved and yes I think that many diseases should be attacked before the third or fourth iteration of a "erectile dysfunction" pill is developed but it is tough to pick a choose since it not my money to dictate what needs to be addressed (and if you do start that how do you do it, what is your priority criteria?).

How could that happen???

Also when the patient first wen to the hospital they didn't diagnose the Ebola and instead sent him away (i.e back out into to public) with just some meds ("Take two and call me in the morning", the hospital is understandably slightly defensive about this...). IT was only after he returned even worse that they made the connection and diagnosis. Due to this I do not think another episode will be missed.

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 18):
Well, that's my weekend ruined.

You are a bery bery bad man....

Tugg

DocLightning

Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:46 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 21):
Also when the patient first wen to the hospital they didn't diagnose the Ebola and instead sent him away (i.e back out into to public) with just some meds ("Take two and call me in the morning", the hospital is understandably slightly defensive about this...). IT was only after he returned even worse that they made the connection and diagnosis. Due to this I do not think another episode will be missed.

To be fair, none of those doctors have ever seen a case of ebola and it's not as if this is something that should have been on their mind. I'm impressed that they made the diagnosis as fast as they did.

That's something that I, as a physician, worry about. We are in the middle of a measles epidemic (and that's a virus that actually SHOULD be cause for concern because it is *highly* transmissible by the respiratory route) and I've never seen a case of measles. Nor have I ever seen polio, rubella, mumps, or diphtheria. I'm not sure I'd recognize a case if I saw any of these.

Alias1024

Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:17 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 22):
To be fair, none of those doctors have ever seen a case of ebola and it's not as if this is something that should have been on their mind. I'm impressed that they made the diagnosis as fast as they did.

I'd been wondering if doctors in the US would even recognize Ebola when they saw it since it's so rare. I know living in the desert there are some things like Lyme Disease that doctors here don't give too much thought to unless you mention a bullseye rash. Conversely, doctors in ABQ are well aware of the symptoms of the plague and hantavirus while on the east coast they're almost unheard of.

DocLightning

Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:55 pm

And, BTW, if you want to freak out about some viruses, I'll name two that actually ARE a threat in the US: Measles and influenza.

The irony is that there is a simple, low-risk, and effective step that can be taken to prevent outbreaks of both of these viruses and yet people steadfastly refuse for no logical reason.

blueflyer
Topic Author

Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:42 am

Panic? What panic? 5 children of various ages have been identified as having been in contact with the patient. As soon as the school district released the list of schools they attended, parents started pulling their kids out. The 5 children are being monitored and are asymptomatic so far. The school district is sending additional janitorial staff to the schools for a thorough cleanup.

The airline was not mentioned. That said, as of Sept. 19th, what likely routes/airlines could the man have taken to get to Dallas on Sept. 20th?

ROB-BRU on Brussels Airlines followed by BRU-IAD-DFW on United. Not what could, but what was.

It seems to me that the Govt. is assuming that the guy --must-- have gotten infected in Liberia.

He apparently was infected in Liberia while caring for a sick woman who later died.

Tugger

Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:45 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 22):

That's something that I, as a physician, worry about. We are in the middle of a measles epidemic (and that's a virus that actually SHOULD be cause for concern because it is *highly* transmissible by the respiratory route) and I've never seen a case of measles. Nor have I ever seen polio, rubella, mumps, or diphtheria. I'm not sure I'd recognize a case if I saw any of these.

Well supposedly the hospital had a protocol, and the ER nurse did ask the question of travel and it was not properly communicated. So I am not knocking the hospital or the staff/doctors as evil or stupid or bad or anything like that, it just made a mistake but one it should not have made based on their own standards. And as I said I think that every other hospital in the USA will be better prepared and understands this disease could actually walk through their doors. That is a good thing.

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 25):
Panic? What panic? 5 children of various ages have been identified as having been in contact with the patient. As soon as the school district released the list of schools they attended, parents started pulling their kids out. The 5 children are being monitored and are asymptomatic so far. The school district is sending additional janitorial staff to the schools for a thorough cleanup.

I am not seeing panic really, instead I see that there is great concern, huge even, and perhaps some of the parents directly potentially impacted are freaking out to the point of panic but I am not seeing a real "panic". People are not hiding or afraid of the doctors or treatment as has been the case in Africa and has caused the outbreak to be far worse. I am also seeing a systematic plan to attack the problem, to backtrack from the "patient zero" in this case and to assist, quarantine, and treat those affected.

Now we will see how things proceed from here. I think the one thing that has occurred is that people in the USA now realize this is global. (I also suspect that anyone that has been to Africa recently will probably find their friends and family suddenly having to do something else other than be with them for the next few weeks....    )

Tugg

DIRECTFLT

Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:31 pm

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 25):
He apparently was infected in Liberia while caring for a sick woman who later died.

Yes, and after his friend that also died that had been helping with the sick woman, the man then travelled to the US.

So, for the man to have been infected, he ***must*** have had contact with the sick woman's bodily fluids.
I wonder if the man would care to relate to the world, if he even is/was aware that he did have contact with her bodily fluids, and if so, what was the exact nature of the contact.
The medical world, and, people, in general, would really like to know exactly what kind of contact occurred, exactly.

PHX787

Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:46 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 12):
Remember, these are politicians who complained how "more troops were sent to fight Ebola rather than ISIS" (even though Politifact said that's a lie)

Then let's not stoop to their level and politicize this. Let idiots be idiots.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 24):
I'll name two that actually ARE a threat in the US: Measles and influenza.

Thanks to you dang californians not vaccinating   

DIRECTFLT

Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:27 pm

A NY Times article gives some detail about the Ebola virus spread to Mr. Duncan through friends.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/us...had-contact-with-patient.html?_r=0

The article just says that others were taking care of others, and those people got the virus and died.

But what the NY times article does not go into detail about, is just what constituted "taking care" of others.

Mr. Duncan wasn't himself taking care of someone, but rode in a taxi, and helped carry the victim. Apparently that is all it takes to "catch" the virus.

Lots of details to yet be explained, of exactly what does and what does not enable the transmission of the virus from a sick victim...

DocLightning

Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:13 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 28):

Don't blame me! I'm one of the loudest advocates of vaccination that there is. Believe me, when I diagnosed three cases of pertussis in one week this last May, it just drove the point home that much harder.

But I think that there does need to be accelerated testing and provisional approval of an ebola vaccine. Especially since the most advanced vaccine so far is a dsDNA vaccine. It is not a live attenuated virus, but rather a DNA segment that is expressed by mammalian expression systems in the patient to produce viral antigen on the cell surface. This leads to a cell-mediated immunity developing that provides protection from ebola. In animal trials it has been 100% safe and effective.

And, in fact, we may see this vaccine being put into use within the next 12 months. It won't be used in the US because we don't really need it here other than maybe some CDC and hospital workers. But in Africa, it can be a game changer. And, much like the flu vaccine, it should be easy to adapt to any new strains.

zckls04

Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:03 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 28):
http://www.cfr.org/interactives/GH_Vaccine_Map/#map

Don't think we're entirely at fault  

Well done Mississippi though for being at the top of something!

ALTF4

Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:17 pm

Quoting DIRECTFLT (Reply 27):
I wonder if the man would care to relate to the world, if he even is/was aware that he did have contact with her bodily fluids, and if so, what was the exact nature of the contact.
Quoting DIRECTFLT (Reply 27):
it takes to "catch" the virus.

...?? Are you suggesting the man did more than carry the woman? Your language and tone seems to be accusing the man of sleeping with her when she was unconscious or something of the sort.

Rode in a taxi and carried her; that's about all it would take, plus some vomiting from her at the right time, to catch it, based on my understanding. I don't know what there is for the man to say, if he "cares" to say it, as you put it.

dtw2hyd

Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:09 pm

Typical preparedness plan. Rock solid on paper, crumbles like a cookie at the first opportunity. At least they should stop bragging about preparedness until after first incident.

DocLightning

Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:22 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1.../obama-ebola-troops_n_5923078.html

There you go.

Quote:
"You also have to be concerned about 3,000 soldiers getting back on a ship," Paul said in a Wednesday interview with radio host Laura Ingraham. "Where is disease most transmittable? When you're in a very close confines on a ship -- we all know about cruises and how they get these diarrhea viruses that are transmitted very easily. Can you imagine if a whole ship full of our soldiers catch Ebola?"

seb146

Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:51 am

Quoting DIRECTFLT (Reply 29):
Mr. Duncan wasn't himself taking care of someone, but rode in a taxi, and helped carry the victim. Apparently that is all it takes to "catch" the virus.

Did he have an open cut on him? From what I read, this virus is exchanged through direct fluid contact. So, if he had an open cut or wound and the person he was carrying did to, that is all it would take. From what I understand.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 30):
we may see this vaccine being put into use within the next 12 months. It won't be used in the US because we don't really need it here other than maybe some CDC and hospital workers.

In other words: this is not fast tracked and there is no profit to be made, so why bother? It is only human life. You know: every sperm is sacred and all that? Unless they have no money.

DocLightning

Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:54 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 35):

In other words: this is not fast tracked and there is no profit to be made, so why bother? It is only human life. You know: every sperm is sacred and all that? Unless they have no money.

It is being fast-tracked. The typical approval process can take a decade. But you are correct, if not enough people who can pay for the vaccine are getting sick, there's no money to be made in making the vaccine.

Should the vaccine manufacturer provide the vaccine for free? How are they going to pay their bills?

DIRECTFLT

Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:16 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 35):
Did he have an open cut on him? From what I read, this virus is exchanged through direct fluid contact. So, if he had an open cut or wound and the person he was carrying did to, that is all it would take. From what I understand.

Exactly.... so did he have an open cut or wound? And if he did not, then how did he get the virus by just carrying her???

An American freelance cameraman for NBC in Liberia has contracted the virus. He will be flown back to the US. In what way did he come in contact with the bodily fluids??

Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 32):
Are you suggesting the man did more than carry the woman? Your language and tone seems to be accusing the man of sleeping with her when she was unconscious or something of the sort.

Rode in a taxi and carried her; that's about all it would take, plus some vomiting from her at the right time, to catch it, based on my understanding. I don't know what there is for the man to say, if he "cares" to say it, as you put it.

No, I was not trying to suggest that Mr. Duncan had sex with the woman before or after her demise. I would just like to hear his statement of what happened. I'm trying to learn about this like many others are. So, as far you know, if someone's vomit touches another person's skin, is that enough to transfer the virus??

Mr. Duncan vomited in the process of going from the apartment to the ambulance Sunday (some reports say), yet the officials overseeing this entire affair did not see fit to have the sidewalk around the apartment power-washed until Thursday. The CDC people have been inter-acting with the Texas and Dallas authorities, yet it really seems like the Keystone Cops at times...

They assure repeatedly that the virus can't be caught "this way", but can only caught "this other way", and so I do not know what to really believe. So, I want more information.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Saudi Arabia is already banning ANY Visas to enter their country from Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea. I wonder why???

I have a question, if not, then why not does the US consulate in Liberia have, as a condition to issuing a Visa to come to the US, a question on the Visa Application such as:

Have you had contact with anyone that has the Ebola virus, or has had symptoms of the Ebola virus?

seb146

Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:44 am

Quoting DIRECTFLT (Reply 37):
so did he have an open cut or wound? And if he did not, then how did he get the virus by just carrying her???

An American freelance cameraman for NBC in Liberia has contracted the virus. He will be flown back to the US. In what way did he come in contact with the bodily fluids??

FEAR!! BE SCARED!! FEAR!! IT IS ON YOUR DOORSTEP!! YOU ARE NEXT!! that's what I see when I read this...

We don't have all the facts, but let's just report parts of the story that will strike fear into people.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 36):
Should the vaccine manufacturer provide the vaccine for free? How are they going to pay their bills?

Not for free, of course, but not for thousands of dollars a pill. Or injection. I don't know how the treatment goes, but you understand what I am saying. They should make a profit but they should also show that curing disease will make people trust them more and gain them more share holders and clients. That is a win-win, as far as I am concerned.

AR385

Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:46 am

Quoting DIRECTFLT (Reply 37):
I have a question, if not, then why not does the US consulate in Liberia have, as a condition to issuing a Visa to come to the US, a question on the Visa Application such as:

Have you had contact with anyone that has the Ebola virus, or has had symptoms of the Ebola virus?

He probably had a VISA from years ago. I don´t think he got it for this particular trip. Wouldn´t have gotten it in two days. Now, considering the questions that actually ARE in the application, that one would be one of the least absurd ones.

Anyway, I doubt anyone wanting a VISA is going to answer "Yes, I have recently been in conctact with someone that has the Ebola virus." And I doubt that the American Consulates are currently giving any VISAS to people from that part of the world, although they are not going to publicly say that.

[Edited 2014-10-03 00:55:10]

EA CO AS

Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:27 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 38):
Quoting DocLightning (Reply 36):Should the vaccine manufacturer provide the vaccine for free? How are they going to pay their bills?

Not for free, of course, but not for thousands of dollars a pill. Or injection.

What if the second pill cost them just a few cents to make, but the first one cost $400 million? How do you propose they recoup their costs?

PHX787

Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:23 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 30):
Don't blame me! I'm one of the loudest advocates of vaccination that there is. Believe me, when I diagnosed three cases of pertussis in one week this last May, it just drove the point home that much harder.

I thnk you were talking about this on your wall earlier. It's just nuts lol

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 31):
Well done Mississippi though for being at the top of something!

Number one as well for the most poverty stricken state although that i believe is from the 2000 census

ImperialEagle

Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:59 pm

'm just waiting to see how Fox will somehow blame Obama for this, even though Republicans were outraged that resources were spent trying to combat the virus and not ISIS in the Middle East.
Ebola is "50 White People Away From a Vaccine." If/when Americans start getting infected, the vaccine will be made. As long as it's poor Black people in Africa, the drug companies have absolutely no reason to spend all that money on approval and manufacture.

Hmmm, I don't think trying to turn this into a political circus is doing much to get any of us prepared just in case this really turns-out badly.
Hence this op/ed in the American Thinker this morning:

http://www.americanthinker.com/2014/...rust_the_white_house_on_ebola.html

Food for thought. We already know the mainstream media sure isn't reliable.

An interesting op/ed from The New York Sun via The Weekly Standard suggests perhaps the next Government Official to step-down might be the Director of the CDC. Here's the link:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...d-cdc-director-go-next_808517.html

[Edited 2014-10-03 10:07:07]

ImperialEagle

Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:12 pm

This article in today's New York Post clearly points out that our Government is convinced that the outbreak is "under control" and that our health care officials will "be able to contain the problem".
Heres the link:

http://nypost.com/2014/10/03/armed-g...to-ebola-from-leaving-dallas-home/

I think these heath officials may be well meaning, but, I also think this could quickly get out of hand. And then what will they tell us?

An interesting article over on Newsmax points out why this can spread so easily:

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/clea...rtment-ebola/2014/10/03/id/598416/

What has already been flushed down the sink and toilet is already traveling through the sewer system.
As far as medical waste is concerned there are plenty of companies who will take the contaminated materials away for cremation. We have a service at our funeral home that picks up our contaminated waste twice a month and in a national emergency, if we lost our service, as long as the gas is still on we could throw it into our own crematory. The worst I can think of to dispose of properly is CJD contaminated articles/waste.

[Edited 2014-10-03 10:28:29]

PHX787

Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:14 am

I'm a right wing leaning libertarian....and for god's sakes, please stop blaming Obama on this. Seriously, fellow right wingers and republicans. It's completely idiotic. Obama does not issue travel warnings. Obama does not control the airports, the CBP, and Quarantine. Those are different branches of the government.

The only way one can contract Ebola as an American is being an idiot and going there in the first place. If you want to blame anyone, blame the idiots going to Africa for the sake of "journalism."

There's something called the "internet." let the doctors treating those patients report the news.

DIRECTFLT

Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:16 am

Top Ebola Virologist Heinz Feldmann: Liberia's Airport Checks 'Useless' and a 'Disaster'

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2...a-Disaster-Due-to-Lack-of-Training

From this article:

Quote:
"They are checking your temperature three times before you get into the airport, but if you look at the people that do this kind of work, they don't really know how to use the devices," Feldmann explains. "They are writing down temperatures of 32°C, which everybody should know is impossible for a living person." Feldmann calls for major overhauls in the system, as he asserts that the checks are "completely useless" and "just a disaster."

I don't blame Obama for the outbreak. But I would like Visa restrictions and mandatory quarantines for those coming from the infected areas.

seb146

Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:00 am

Quoting DIRECTFLT (Reply 45):
I would like Visa restrictions and mandatory quarantines for those coming from the infected areas.

IIRC, it was CBS Radio who reported there are at least 30 ports of entry that have health quarantine areas. I think they said Newark-Liberty and JFK. Search CBS Radio or maybe CDC for information?

Quoting ImperialEagle (Reply 43):
New York Post
Quoting ImperialEagle (Reply 43):
Newsmax
Quoting ImperialEagle (Reply 42):
op/ed in the American Thinker
The New York Sun via The Weekly Standard

Get back to us when you have real sources. BBC, NHK, Deutsce Welle, etc.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 40):
What if the second pill cost them just a few cents to make, but the first one cost $400 million? How do you propose they recoup their costs?

They amortize (?) the cost by year over decades. Look at HIV meds. They started off in the thousands of dollars for one treatment and are now $200 to $300 for a month's worth of meds. And, with the numbers of people infected and buying meds, they are making more money.

DocLightning

Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:07 pm

An interesting op/ed from The New York Sun via The Weekly Standard suggests perhaps the next Government Official to step-down might be the Director of the CDC. Here's the link:

Why? Thanks to our oh-so-wise congress, the CDC's budget has been slashed. Why? Because "Gubmint is bad, m'kay?"

That is not the fault of the director of the CDC.

What we have seen here is that a First-World healthcare infrastructure can make ebola outbreaks very unlikely and that a lack of government oversight and healthcare infrastructure is what allows these outbreaks to occur.

DIRECTFLT

Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:06 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 38):
FEAR!! BE SCARED!! FEAR!! AND Irtysh-Avia (Kazakhstan)">IT IS ON YOUR DOORSTEP!! YOU ARE NEXT!! that's what I see when I read this...

We don't have all the facts, but let's just report parts of the story that will strike fear into people.

Oh yes, I almost forgot the Prime Directive....

[Edited 2014-10-05 21:11:34]

einsteinboricua

Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:17 pm

Quoting DIRECTFLT (Reply 50):
Oh yes, I almost forgot the Prime Directive....

Way better than

That's how hysteria and civil unrest begins.