Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

slider

RE: Ebola In The US

Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:22 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 94):
That has nothing to do with Slider's argument that a freeloader would contract ebola to get free healthcare.

That was NOT my argument. No one would catch it intentionally. My point was that Mr. Duncan reasonably knew he had it, came to the US for medical treatment, got it (to the tune of almost $1M estimated now), and didn't have to shell out a red cent. That's BS.

AeroWesty

Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:12 pm

There's a lady two tables away from me at breakfast this morning who is telling her dining companion that Ebola is a government plot to control population. "AIDS and H1N1 were trial balloons. 'They' also encouraged that nurse to travel to see how many she could infect on a jet plane."

She's also convinced that plans are being readied to house Ebola victims in concentration camps (but doesn't explain why the government would want to ship the sick away, if her theory is for the sick to infect as many as possible).

She also doesn't get flu shots since that's how the gov't gets all sorts of "sick stuff" into your bloodstream.

I just checked, we're long past the full moon, and she doesn't look like a crazy person. Just your average American out for breakfast on a Saturday morning.

SMH

bmacleod

Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:43 pm

Paranoia seems to be mainstream regarding Ebola fears...the 1995 film "Outbreak" may take part of the blame.

Can you believe so many want to say Ebola's arrival in US is Obama's fault?

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/039...RIS6-01_2048x2048.png?v=1413330072

Exactly how?

[Edited 2014-10-18 10:45:13]

DocLightning

Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:50 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 100):

That was NOT my argument. No one would catch it intentionally. My point was that Mr. Duncan reasonably knew he had it, came to the US for medical treatment, got it (to the tune of almost $1M estimated now), and didn't have to shell out a red cent. That's BS.

And he died anyway. What's your solution then? Let him lie in the street spewing blood, diarrhea, and vomit for passers-by to contact? Works great in Liberia.

That million dollars or so (could have been more) is the reason why so far we have three EVD cases in the USA and not thousands like they do in Liberia. That directly benefits you and me.

So stop complaining.

[Edited 2014-10-18 11:03:05]

DIRECTFLT

Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:23 am

Texas woman spits on light rail platform. Station is closed for 2 hours, while has-mat crews decontaminate the station.

If only the Texas hospital had used that kind of over reaction towards Mr. Duncan.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/healt...tation-dallas-monitoring/17503345/

DocLightning

Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:49 am

My worst fears are coming true:

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014...-fears-because-she-visited-dallas/

Quote:
An elementary school teacher in Maine has been placed on leave for 21 days, the incubation period of Ebola, after she visited Dallas to attend an educational conference. The teacher did not come into contact with anybody who had tested positive for the virus, but did stay at a hotel “exactly 9.5 miles away from Texas Health Presbyterian,” where Ebola patients have been treated.

The article also describes how a Mississippi middle school was closed because the principal had visited Zambia, which is 3,000 miles away from Liberia.

This is getting more than a bit ridiculous. In 1992, I visited Morocco, which is also in Africa. I'd like 21 days of paid vacation, please.  

MD11Engineer

Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:19 am

Actually from a scientific point of view it is good to have Ebola patients be treated in Western industrial countries. There they are being treated in proper hospitals with laboratory facilities, which don't exits in many African countries. Since so little is known about this virus, this gives the virologists a chance to study the disease to develop vaccines and treatments.

Jan

aerorobnz

Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:11 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 105):

I was in Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia and South Africa (via Ethiopia) in August/September 2014 and Rwanda, Uganda,Kenya and Tanzania back in 2007. I hate to think what some of these idiots would make of my passport if they are still panicking next time I am up in US.

That story is so retarded. I am in utter disbelief. These knuckle draggers are going to drag humanity kicking and screaming back to tbeir caves and undo all of the last 5000 years of civilisation I swear... Don't worry about an Ebola vaccine, It's a pity there isn't a stupidity vaccine available.

DocLightning

Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:36 pm

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 107):

That story is so retarded. I am in utter disbelief. These knuckle draggers are going to drag humanity kicking and screaming back to tbeir caves and undo all of the last 5000 years of civilisation I swear... Don't worry about an Ebola vaccine, It's a pity there isn't a stupidity vaccine available.

My favorite bit is that a lot of the people freaking out about Ebola would refuse a vaccine even if there were an outbreak because vaccines are a Big Pharma/NWO/Illuminati/Obama/Muslim conspiracy to poison us with mercury and mind-control nanorobots.

No, I'm not exaggerating.

zanl188

Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:15 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 108):

I wish the forum had a like button Doc...A truer truth has not been spoken...

NBGSkyGod

Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:30 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 108):
My favorite bit is that a lot of the people freaking out about Ebola would refuse a vaccine even if there were an outbreak because vaccines are a Big Pharma/NWO/Illuminati/Obama/Muslim conspiracy to poison us with mercury and mind-control nanorobots.

No, I'm not exaggerating.

This may be my Illuminati Nanobots talking, but WTH!?

MD11Engineer

Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:28 am

It seems that a new therapy, using antibodies won from the blood of other recovered former Ebola patients, has helped the Spanish nurse, who got infected while treating two missionaries in Madrid:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29683616
A first test could not detect any Ebola virii anymore, but a second test is still necessary before she can be declared free of the disease.
I wonder if it would be possible to synthesize these anti-bodies or to produce them via bio technology. It seems that the solution in treating Ebola patients lies with Ebola survivors, who are now immune to this particular strain.

In the same news the WHO declared Nigeria free of Ebola. It seems that radical measures to isolate anybody, who had come into contact with the Ebola-infected traveler a few weeks ago have worked.

Jan

blueflyer
Topic Author

Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:09 am

Navarro College in Texas has rejected the application of two Nigerians because the school is "not accepting international students from countries with confirmed Ebola cases." Close call! Imagine if they had forgotten to include "international!" Anyone in Texas, or the US even, would have been excluded!

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 107):
I hate to think what some of these idiots would make of my passport if they are still panicking next time I am up in US.

That's 21 days of quarantine per country, right?

[Edited 2014-10-19 22:27:35]

Maverick623

Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:42 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 101):
and she doesn't look like a crazy person.

When you repeat a lie enough times, even normal, sane people start to believe it.

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 112):
Navarro College in Texas has rejected the application of two Nigerians because the school is "not accepting international students from countries with confirmed Ebola cases." Close call! Imagine if they had forgotten to include "international!" Anyone in Texas, or the US even, would have been excluded!

You should see airline Twitter feeds and Facebook pages.

"Ban all flights to countries infected with Ebola!" are pretty common. They are curiously silent when told that would mean shutting down air travel in the US (or just Texas).

DocLightning

Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:15 pm

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 112):

And Nigeria was formally declared Ebola-free by the WHO this morning.

The stupid...it burns!

Ken777

Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:11 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 71):
Given that all babies born in Mexico and points south get BCG, few are actually carrying transmissible disease

Sounds like Mexico is ahead of the US in some areas of medicine. Oooops!

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 71):
That's endemic to the US, not a Mexico thing

Must be difficult for those who believe that the US has the best medicine in the world. Oooops!

Quoting Slider (Reply 76):
We should protect our borders, keep our citizens safe from basic harm from diseases that are brought in unchecked.

The first step in protecting citizens would be a core level universal health care program that will catch problems already in the community before it gets bad.

Then we need to reverse the cuts to health care from sequestration. My wife's oncologist & her partners had to sell their private clinic to a local hospital because of those sequestration cuts. We see the ignorance of sequestration every day without knowing it. In medicine it can get pretty bad. Maybe we need to first spend more money in medical conditions that are killing more Americans than Ebola. There is a long list.

The risks of Ebola in the US is trivial when compared to the damage caused by drunk drivers. Want to protect the citizens? Start with laws both allowing and demanding random stops and breath tests. That can save more lives that Ebola will even begin to take.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 105):
This is getting more than a bit ridiculous.

Well, I just finished a cruise with She Who Must Be Obeyed. We drove through Dallas to get to the ship, and again while returning home. No telling how close we got to that hospital.   

And the Carnival ship involved in the "Mexican Rejection" was tied up right in front of our ship. Just a 2 minute walk away. We also saw the ship in Cozumel and it was tied up right in front of us (AGAIN!) when we returned. To make matters worse, we had a pax on board who required hospitalization so we had to kick up the speed from Jamaica to get back to Galveston ASAP. And we don't know what the medical problem was. Golly, gee, this is one dangerous world. Think I should be worried?

DIRECTFLT

Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:38 pm

Six Reasons to Panic

Quote:
As a rule, one should not panic at whatever crisis has momentarily fixed the attention of cable news producers. But the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, which has migrated to both Europe and America, may be the exception that proves the rule. There are at least six reasons that a controlled, informed panic might be in order.
http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/six-reasons-panic_816387.html

Ebola should only be treated at Govt. run facilities.

DIRECTFLT

Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:50 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 115):
The risks of Ebola in the US is trivial when compared to the damage caused by drunk drivers. Want to protect the citizens? Start with laws both allowing and demanding random stops and breath tests. That can save more lives that Ebola will even begin to take.

Or, you could simply make the consumption of alcohol in public places illegal. In other words, limit it to home consumption. And then prosecute the homeowners if their guests leave drunk AND kill or injure others with their vehicle.

You really do not have a constitutional right to consume alcohol in public. Govts. can prohibit all public consumption of alcohol.

But that's a real answer to drunk driving deaths (not supported by the alcohol industry, or the govts that collect tax dollars from alcohol related sales and licenses).

Make it illegal to tax alcohol, and see how fast govts. dump their protection and support of this industry!!

D L X

Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:51 pm

Quoting DIRECTFLT (Reply 116):
Ebola should only be treated at Govt. run facilities.

I thought conservatives didn't believe in government. Especially government-run anything.

Ken777

Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:05 pm

Quoting DIRECTFLT (Reply 117):
You really do not have a constitutional right to consume alcohol in public. Govts. can prohibit all public consumption of alcohol.

We tried that before and it rely didn't work that well. Actually, when we moved to Oklahoma in '58 Prohibition was still in place. As the movers were unloading household goods a couple of bootleggers dropped by to give the parents their business card. You had to buy 3 fifths at a time, but home delivery 24/7. Prices were better they they were when we finally got liquor stores.

DocLightning

Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:21 pm

Sounds like Mexico is ahead of the US in some areas of medicine. Oooops!

Not really. There are a number of factors that go into deciding whether a given country uses BCG or not. Most third-world countries use it. The UK uses it. Spain doesn't.

The risks of Ebola in the US is trivial when compared to the damage caused by drunk drivers.

Or flu. Last year about 53,000 people died of flu or complications thereof. Of those, 93% were unvaccinated.

To date, there have been three cases of EVD in the US. The family contacts of the deceased patient have finished their 21-day quarantine. Our death rate from Ebola has been 33%. Two vaccines are now in human trials. Hospitals around the nation are preparing for the next case. Right now, the big issue is a shortage of personal protective equipment suits. Our hospital has them on order.

FACT: More Americans have been married to Kim Kardashian than have died of EVD.
FACT: More Americans have been married to Liz Taylor than have had contracted EVD in the US.

D L X

Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:27 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 120):

OH MY GOD!!!!

I never knew the outbreak of Kardashian disease was so severe!!!!!!

DocLightning

Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:35 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 121):

OH MY GOD!!!!

I never knew the outbreak of Kardashian disease was so severe!!!!!!

It's really awful. And there's no vaccine.  Wow!AAAAAAND I just had my first "Ebola" visit. Mother of two healthy boys comes in wanting them checked for Ebola. No recent travel history or known sick contacts, but her in-laws are visiting from Jordan. And so "I spent 15 minutes face to face of which at least 50% was counseling and coordination of care" educating her about why it's shockingly unlikely that they have Ebola. But I did get her to vaccinate them both for flu.  

AR385

Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:44 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 119):
'58 Prohibition was still in place. As the movers were unloading household goods a couple of bootleggers dropped by to give the parents their business card. You had to buy 3 fifths at a time, but home delivery 24/7. Prices were better they they were when we finally got liquor stores.

When I was living in Charlottesville, there was this guy, Lewis, who could have come straight out of the TV series "The Beverlyhillbillies". He was a huge, blond guy with a mustache with farmer´s clothes that drove down from somewhere in Apalacchia to our apartment complex to sell moonshine to us, the foreigners. He was always drunk.You could disinfect anything with him just directing his breath there.

But the moonshine was good. I never tasted it, I was told. He also brought us wood in the winter at $25 a weekly stack. Very picturesque character.

Oh. Squirrel stew. One day he brought me squirrel stew his wife had prepared.

[Edited 2014-10-21 15:46:57]

Ken777

Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:12 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 123):
But the moonshine was good. I never tasted it, I was told. He also brought us wood in the winter at $25 a weekly stack. Very picturesque character.

Bootleggers were pretty colorful. I liked the idea that they would also stop by a grocery store if your party was running low on snacks as well as booze. Three was one story floating around that the hostess of one party ran out of munchies so they opened a can of dog food to put on crackers. Everyone at the party was sufficiently saturated that no one noticed. A bootlegger would have been better.

lewis

Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:58 am

Or, you could simply make the consumption of alcohol in public places illegal. In other words, limit it to home consumption. And then prosecute the homeowners if their guests leave drunk AND kill or injure others with their vehicle.

But that's a real answer to drunk driving deaths (not supported by the alcohol industry, or the govts that collect tax dollars from alcohol related sales and licenses).

That is not the answer at all. Drinking and socializing usually go together for people who drink. Those people will just go on and throw parties or have house guests that consume alcohol. You will be shuffling the venues at that point as well as killing a whole industry (bars/restaurants/clubs). A percentage of those guests will still go ahead and drive home from that house party under the influence.

[Edited 2014-10-21 19:58:39]

MD11Engineer

Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:02 am

Make it illegal to tax alcohol, and see how fast govts. dump their protection and support of this industry!!

A typical American, Puritan reaction to the "Devil" alcohol. Instead of going after those who break the law of not driving drunk, go after those who provide the drink. It is not the drunk driver, who is responsible, but the person who sells him the alcohol.

Jan

DIRECTFLT

Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:01 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 126):
Instead of going after those who break the law of not driving drunk, go after those who provide the drink. It is not the drunk driver, who is responsible, but the person who sells him the alcohol.

We don't go after the sellers of alcohol anymore than we go after the sellers of prescription medications. Big Pharma is even Bigger than Big Brewer.

DocLightning

Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:57 pm

Quoting DIRECTFLT (Reply 127):
We don't go after the sellers of alcohol anymore than we go after the sellers of prescription medications. Big Pharma is even Bigger than Big Brewer.

Is that why I just saw an ad by a law firm looking for patients who got melanoma after they took Viagra (a tenuous link at best)? I don't see lawsuits against Budweiser for causing cirrhosis.

Ken777

Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:16 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 126):
It is not the drunk driver, who is responsible, but the person who sells him the alcohol.

Actually there have been some legal action against bars who keep supplying drunks with drinks. It doesn't take too many bars getting in a world of hurt to clean up their act.

At the same time, there is no way a person who is drunk can be "excused" for driving drunk. We do have jail that can accommodate them for as long as a Judge decides.

AeroWesty

Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:40 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 128):
I don't see lawsuits against Budweiser for causing cirrhosis.

Try tobacco. We've seen billions and billions paid out by big tobacco to the states for health care and other costs, plus individual lawsuits won with punitive damages awarded.

In the big settlement, just Oregon alone got $2.1 billion plus gets $81 million per year in perpetuity. And that still hasn't stopped the individual cases that settlement was supposed to.

Philip Morris agrees to pay Oregon $56 million in punitive damages in Jesse Williams' Death

seb146

Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:23 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 120):
FACT: More Americans have been married to Liz Taylor than have had contracted EVD in the US.

It is a pandemic and we all need to live in fear and blame Obama and vote against Democrats in November.

St. Reagan let over 2000 Americans die before he even thought about doing anything when the AIDS epidemic struck.

That's not a double standard or anything.....

I live in a suburban area of a densely populated area of the United States. I am more fearful of being murdered or mugged than contracting Ebola. Even then, I know how to keep my guard up. People just like worrying about things too much in this country.

Ken777

Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:10 pm

The issue with tobacco funds going to the states is that a lot of people are standing in line for some of that cash. The first need should be to treat patients who have tobacco related medical conditions, including lung cancer. And first in line for treatment funds should be those without insurance. Then, if there is money left, spend it on public advertising.

Cadet985

Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:06 am

DIRECTFLT

Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:38 pm

The CDC Twitter Account has confirmed that the Dr. did go through enhanced screening upon his arrival at JFK.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014...leared-enhanced-airport-screening/

nwadeicer

Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:19 pm

Disregard, all is good with AT&T

[Edited 2014-10-24 07:36:07]

D L X

Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:07 pm

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 133):

BREAKING:

Ebola is in NYC.

And in 21 days, it won't be.

DocLightning

Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:02 pm

Quoting DIRECTFLT (Reply 134):
The CDC Twitter Account has confirmed that the Dr. did go through enhanced screening upon his arrival at JFK.

They need to start testing them via rt-PCR (which can pick up one copy of virus) and keeping them quarantined until the test is negative.

DIRECTFLT

Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:46 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 136):

That's correct.... especially since the Gov.s of both NY and NJ have come together to put in a mandatory quarantine for anyone coming to their airports from W. Africa that have had contact with Ebola patients.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSto...bola-case-nyc-quarantined-26416922

blueflyer
Topic Author

Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:57 am

Quoting DIRECTFLT (Reply 138):
That's correct.... especially since the Gov.s of both NY and NJ have come together to put in a mandatory quarantine

Can't wait for Pennsylvania to put anyone crossing the NJ state line in quarantine for 21 days...

alberchico

Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:18 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/25/health/us-ebola/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

So this woman tested negative yet she gets locked up for 21 days anyway ? I have a serious problem with this new quarantine rule...

AeroWesty

Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:35 pm

Quoting alberchico (Reply 140):
So this woman tested negative yet she gets locked up for 21 days anyway ? I have a serious problem with this new quarantine rule...

I don't, but I'm honestly open to having my opinion changed by a good argument. Quarantine to prevent infections/infestation is nothing new for the United States. Ellis Island is a historic example of such. Agricultural searches at state borders are another example.

ETA link: http://www.ellisisland.se/english/quarantine_islands_newyork.asp

[Edited 2014-10-25 11:48:46]

AR385

Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:14 pm

This may be interesting for some member who wanted to close all borders and considers that infectious diseases are invading the US:

http://www.cfr.org/interactives/GH_Vaccine_Map/#map

DocLightning

Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:40 pm

So this woman tested negative yet she gets locked up for 21 days anyway ?

It depends on the negative predictive value of the test. If the negative predictive value is high, then quarantine is pointless. If it's low, then there's a point.

DocLightning

Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:23 pm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/10/141010084047.htm

So it turns out that there is a fast, very sensitive, and very accurate test for Ebola virus.

My suggestion would be that returning healthcare workers should be screened for symptoms on arrival. If symptomatic, quarantine and admit. If asymptomatic, then perform the test every 48-72 hours and quarantine/admit if positive. No need to quarantine if asymptomatic and negative test.

The test, it seems, can test ebola virus 48-72 hours prior to the development of symptoms

Okie

Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:05 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 144):
So it turns out that there is a fast, very sensitive, and very accurate test for Ebola virus.

They seem to be rushing to get it to market as they have just completed development.
I wonder how long it will take to get the manufacturing process up and running to produce the product?

The next question would be how exposed will the medical workers and lab technicians be to the blood sample and RNA extraction process.

There seems to be much fear in the NYC case now with the hospital employee's taking sick days and missing work.

Okie

Ken777

Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:42 pm

That would probably depend on the test and the potential for detecting the virus within hours of a contact.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 137):
They need to start testing them via rt-PCR

And hopefully can get the health workers before they get on a plane - that might solve a lot of problems.

Quoting okie (Reply 145):
There seems to be much fear in the NYC case now with the hospital employee's taking sick days and missing work.

People all over are abnormally in fear of Ebola. Look at the Carnival cruise ship that was denied access to a port because a hospital employee was on the ship.

Mir

Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:11 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 141):
I don't, but I'm honestly open to having my opinion changed by a good argument. Quarantine to prevent infections/infestation is nothing new for the United States.

Do you want to quarantine anyone who has worked with an ebola patient for three weeks as well? How many good nurses and doctors will you be removing from the system unnecessarily? And how many nurses and doctors will decide that treating ebola patients isn't something they really want to get involved in because they're going to get shut down for three weeks? How many people aren't going to selflessly volunteer their time to go to Africa and try and stop the disease from spreading? You're creating a world of unintended consequences all because you fear that people could be contagious at a time when experience shows they're not contagious.

Quarantining medical people is silly - those are the people most likely to know exactly how the disease works, what to look out for, the protocols for effective self-monitoring, etc. And they're also the people most likely to really care about taking steps to make sure that they don't pass on the disease. If the quarantine were for non-medical people coming back from affected areas, then I might be able to understand it a bit more.

-Mir

D L X

Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:02 am

Quoting DIRECTFLT (Reply 138):

Quoting D L X (Reply 136):

That's correct.... especially since the Gov.s of both NY and NJ have come together to put in a mandatory quarantine for anyone coming to their airports from W. Africa that have had contact with Ebola patients.

As stupid as that is, exactly how does that new rule take the ebola patient in NY out of NY?

Quoting Mir (Reply 147):
Do you want to quarantine anyone who has worked with an ebola patient for three weeks as well? How many good nurses and doctors will you be removing from the system unnecessarily?

Quoting Mir (Reply 147):
And how many nurses and doctors will decide that treating ebola patients isn't something they really want to get involved in because they're going to get shut down for three weeks?

Quoting Mir (Reply 147):
How many people aren't going to selflessly volunteer their time to go to Africa and try and stop the disease from spreading?

Yep -- you're basically laying out all the biggest reasons why this new rule is shtooopid and counterproductive.

Quoting Mir (Reply 147):
You're creating a world of unintended consequences all because you fear that people could be contagious at a time when experience shows they're not contagious.

Indeed, this is the kind of crap that causes epidemics. Anything that pushes things underground is going to cause it to spread. Ebola is spreading in Africa because people that get sick are afraid of going to hospitals. You're asking for that here too when you start talking about mandatory quarantines. The Africa volunteer is going to say they weren't in Africa. The healthcare worker is going to say they're not going to help the ebola patient, or they're going to say that they haven't helped any ebola patients. They're going to become a bigger danger by obscuring facts when we need them to be open.

DocLightning

Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:42 am

Quoting okie (Reply 145):
The next question would be how exposed will the medical workers and lab technicians be to the blood sample and RNA extraction process.

As has been repeatedly stressed, if the patient is asymptomatic, not at all.