Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Okie

RE: Ebola In The US

Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:14 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 149):
As has been repeatedly stressed, if the patient is asymptomatic, not at all.

I will have to go back and reread about the test. I thought the test was to indicate the virus was present from the RNA of the virus in the blood sample but not yet symptomatic.

Okie

DIRECTFLT

Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:35 am

Quoting alberchico (Reply 140):
So this woman tested negative yet she gets locked up for 21 days anyway ? I have a serious problem with this new quarantine rule...

Yet, for example, because a Dallas nurse that had treated Mr. Duncan came down with Ebola, some of those that had contact with the nurse were "effectively" quarantined from their workplace and/or schools when there was no scientific evidence that those people had been exposed to the nurse's bodily fluids when she was in a contagious state.

So, there is/was already crazy "quarantines" going on.... hundreds added to "watch" lists.... all because one nurse was not quarantined out of an abundance of caution.

So, where is balance??? One nurse... hundreds of others inconvenienced to one degree or another ? ? ? ? !

DocLightning

Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:34 pm

Also, the more I read about this case in New York, the more alarmed I am at the response.

Do you understand that anyone could be rounded up and "quarantined" without cause if there is no oversight? You know, political dissidents, etc. etc. etc.

Quoting okie (Reply 150):
I will have to go back and reread about the test. I thought the test was to indicate the virus was present from the RNA of the virus in the blood sample but not yet symptomatic.

I see what you're asking. If proper precautions are used, the risk should be very low unless the patient is floridly symptomatic. We're talking about very small blood samples here and most of the handling is automated. Presumably, any lab worker would be gowned, gloved, masked, and face-shielded. The only risk would really be if you dropped the sample while the tube was open. In a lab setting, there is no reason that your gloves or any part of your body would ever come in contact with the sample. This is different from dealing with a patient with EVD when you have to clean up their diarrhea and vomitus and blood. In those cases, the infectious fluid will contact your gloves and gown and etc. The risk then is that if you doff the PPE incorrectly, you will get some virus on your hand and then if you wipe your face... In the lab, the sample is in the tube. Unless it's dropped, there is no reason why anyone would be touching the actual fluid.

Once the first buffer has been added to the sample, it would immediately neutralize any virus because the very first reagent added would need to disrupt the viral structure to liberate the viral RNA.

DIRECTFLT

Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:32 am

A 3rd grade Connecticut girl, Ikeoluwa Opayemi, was told that she could not come back to school just because... she visited Nigeria. The quarantine from school was imposed by the Milford School District's Health Director, Dr. Dennis McBride, and *not* by the state.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/c...-sues-schools-ebola-fears-26525980

"Dr. McBride stated that although the risk of infection with Ikeoluwa might be minor, the primary reason for his decision that she be quarantined at home for 21 days was due to the rumors, panic and climate at Meadowside Elementary School."

A Federal lawsuit has been filed in U.S. District Court in New Haven. The suit is seeking damages under the Americans with Disabilities Act, asserting that Ikeoluwa is being discriminated against because of a "perceived impairment."

When the girl tried to return to the Meadowside Elementary School, she was told by Dr. McBride that she would have to stay home until Nov. 3 "due to concern from certain parents and teachers that she could transmit Ebola to other children," according to the lawsuit.

...........................And the Maine CDC Health worker was told she had to be quarantined, just because.... she treated Ebola victims in West Africa.

Do you see the difference here..... I DO..