Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Airstud
Topic Author

Annoyingly Modern Names For Colors

Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:55 am

When I was a kid, living in the house that was always blanketed with my Mom's fashion catalogs, I was often miffed to see color names like "taupe," "mauve," or "teal," when the catalog folk could have just as easily gone with "tan," "pink," or "green."

Today, taupe and mauve and teal are probably found in 16-ct boxes of crayons, and when I go a-shopping for clothings, I find alleged "colors" mentioned, with names like "Natural" (you know exactly which color I'm talking about, right?) "Universe," "Breeze" and just now looking at fleeces on columbia.com, I learned about colors called "boulder," "tusk," and "deep backcountry."

Are the clothes people just on a mission to make their own catalogs and websites as inscrutable as possible as time marches on?
Pancakes are delicious.

PhilBy

RE: Annoyingly Modern Names For Colors

Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:15 am

It's easier for the public but less precise than if they just used 169,215,249 (sky blue) or 255,175,0 (a particularly vivid orange starfish).
Given the subtle differentiation of colours that the fashion industry thrives on they soon run out with grey, light grey, mid grey, mid-light grey, slightly bueish mid-light grey, somewhere between the last two, etc....
As with Intel's Pentium giving a specific name to a colour allows for trade-mark/copywrite protection and prevents a competitor using exactly the same colour for a nearly identical product.

scbriml

Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:07 pm

Don't get me started on paint colours - sunset blush, toasted wheat and, wait for it... Elephant's Breath. WTF? What colour is the breath of an elephant.   
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

photopilot

Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:44 pm

LOL, yup the marketers sure love their non-descriptive colour names.

Want to talk colour with me, there's only two real ways to do so. CMYK and Pantone!

Of course I could also ask the OP why he's upset about describing a colour when he can't even spell colour? LMAO

AeroWesty

Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:02 pm

Quoting Airstud (Thread starter):
Are the clothes people just on a mission to make their own catalogs and websites as inscrutable as possible as time marches on?

Of course.

Cerulean blue
International Homo of Mystery

mt99

Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:02 pm

When I was a kid,

Man - someone is getting old!

Those damn pot smoking kids ... lol

(PS i am getting old too, and find myself ranting about stuff like this as well )
Step into my office, baby

vikkyvik

Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:52 pm

I remember quite well some of the stranger colors included in a 64-crayon box from Crayola.

Pine Green versus Forest Green - seriously, I don't think anyone could tell the difference.

Chartreuse - this one has stuck in my head for years.

Salmon versus Peach - again, very close to each other.

There might have been Indigo and Midnight Blue as well, which were also very close to each other.

What else.....Fire Orange, Lemon Yellow, Cadet Blue, Sky Blue, Burnt Sienna, Lime Green....
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

zckls04

Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:59 pm

In the old days there were fewer paint colors I think. Now every range has four thousand different shades, and somebody has to think of names for them.

Some of them are a bit silly but it does make sense. Using numbers is bad because the brain finds those harder to remember ("darling, do you prefer 163,207,108 or 150,210,56" for this wall?). The labels don't have to describe the color really; they just need to be arbitrary labels that are fairly memorable.

When I see some of these names I do chuckle when I think about the people who have to come up with this crap. But it's a necessary thing and doesn't annoy me as such.
Four Granavox Turbines!

PhilBy

Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:20 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 4):
Cerulean blue

Listed in the dictionary as 'a deep blue colour, azure'

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 6):
Fire Orange, Lemon Yellow, Cadet Blue, Sky Blue, Burnt Sienna, Lime Green

All valid descriptive colours (although cadet blue is particular to the country of origin)

Sienne - a natural earth containing ferric oxide used as a yellowish-brown pigment when untreated (raw sienna) or a reddish-brown pigment when roasted (burnt sienna)

But I've still never seen a breeze or elephants breath

Aeri28

Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:29 am

Mauve is not pink. The fashionistas must not be awake yet to have corrected that one.

DocLightning

Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:34 am

When I was a kid, living in the house that was always blanketed with my Mom's fashion catalogs, I was often miffed to see color names like "taupe," "mauve," or "teal," when the catalog folk could have just as easily gone with "tan," "pink," or "green."

It took me the longest time to figure out what "mauve" was. People (and by "people" I mean "women") would point to two different shades of what I thought was the same color and say "It's kinda between those two colors, but not quite."

For some reason, hospitals love mauve. Even those plastic kidney basins are mauve.

-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

scbriml

Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:14 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 10):
Even those plastic kidney basins are mauve.

No, no, no, no. That's "Blow-up doll pink".   
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Airstud
Topic Author

Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:20 am

Aren't those technically called "emesis basins?"

(aka puke pots)
Pancakes are delicious.

Revelation

Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:58 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 2):
Don't get me started on paint colours - sunset blush, toasted wheat and, wait for it... Elephant's Breath. WTF? What colour is the breath of an elephant.
Quoting mt99 (Reply 5):
Those damn pot smoking kids ... lol

Speaking of which, I was watching some of those 'medical marijuana' shows on cable and was thinking, boy have they come up with annoyingly modern names for pot since I was in school decades ago. Back then it was just home grown, Mexican, Colombian, Panama Red or Hawaiian. Who knew from Kush? Leave it to stoners to come up with a rich vocabulary...

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 6):
Salmon versus Peach - again, very close to each other.

Funny you should mention it. As per the link below I struggled with this when looking to replace a toilet seat. I ordered Peach Bisque. I was wrong. I sent it back I should have ordered Bermuda Coral instead but haven't gotten around to it. I'm hoping the vendor will send me a printed chart.

Ref: Friday Stupid Thread: Pink Toilet Seat (by Revelation Jun 5 2014 in Non Aviation)

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 7):
Now every range has four thousand different shades, and somebody has to think of names for them.

The problem was well understood even in the 80s where our computers only could do 8 bit color (i.e. 255x255x255) and I don't think it's gotten much better with time.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

scbriml

Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:02 pm

I casually mentioned this thread to my wife this morning as we made our way to the Farrow & Ball paint shop (even the name of the company is pretentious). I made the mistake of dissing said "Elephant's Breath" when she informed me that's the colour she used in our hall!

Oh, you mean that beige colour?   

DocLightning

Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:53 pm

Quoting Airstud (Reply 12):
Aren't those technically called "emesis basins?"

Kidney basins or emesis basins. Either one. Technically, a kidney basin is a kidney-shaped emesis basin, like the one I showed. The curve makes it more convenient to put in front of the patient's face when they start to vomit.

I mean, someone at the manufacturer had to pick that color. It was probably decided on in some committee meeting. I do wonder why.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Viscount724

Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:55 am

It took me the longest time to figure out what "mauve" was. People (and by "people" I mean "women") would point to two different shades of what I thought was the same color and say "It's kinda between those two colors, but not quite

I wouldn't consider tan/pink/green to be synonyms for taupe/mauve/teal. I've always considered them quite different. Taupe is more neutral, like gray mixed with a little beige. Mauve is a light shade of purple, not pink. And teal is sort of half way between blue and green.

bunumuring

Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:33 am

I actually love the names that colours have these days!
And yes, that 'colours' with a 'u' not 'colors' without... Lol.
Like others, I have ogives that clothing in particular seems to have way out names for the colours. I bought a pair of 'BBQ Black' shorts a few weeks ago. The other pair of black shorts in the range were called 'Vintage Black' and had a tinge of grey in them. I actually wanted a pair in 'Black Hole Black' but they didnt have any, lol!
I recently worked on an art project daily for about three weeks which involved using block ink and acrylic paint, with a bit of metallic paint thrown in. We had a ball mixing colours and inventing names for them... We mostly used alliteration however, such as 'Oxley Orange' and 'Brumby Beaut Blue' ...
I was even more thrilled when the artworks sold in a professional art show! Art is not my career, nor will it ever be, buti worked on this for charity as a 'hobby'!
cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

PhilBy

Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:46 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 16):
I wouldn't consider tan/pink/green to be synonyms for taupe/mauve/teal.

Some of these names represent natural items which have that colour and these certainly aren't modern names for colours. It's the new colours where the name bears no relation to the colour itself but tries to link an unrelated abstract to the product.
Taupe is French for mole and certainly isn't tan, mauve is shortened from the french guimauve (the 'marsh mallow' flower in English) and a teal is a small blue-green duck. I have yet to see a green or a pink walking around the countryside.

1337Delta764

Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:19 am

Now real men don't call pink salmon, that is for sure.

fraspotter

Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:15 pm

I drive a Honda Civic and the color that Honda gives it is "urban metallic"... Um ok. It gives off hints of gray and brown depending on how the light hits it. Made it a bit tricky when it came time to register it. So according to the state of Texas my car is brown.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

bjorn14

Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:19 pm

My favorite is Sea Foam (light greenish)
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

MD11Engineer

Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:31 pm

It took me the longest time to figure out what "mauve" was. People (and by "people" I mean "women") would point to two different shades of what I thought was the same color and say "It's kinda between those two colors, but not quite."

I read somewhere on the BBC website (but can't be @rrsed now to go looking for it again), that recent research found that a big minority of women (since the gene for is is hidden in the x-chromosome and they have two of them) have a fourth type of optical sensor cells, which allows them to distinguish more subtile differences of colours.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

SaschaYHZ

Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:30 am

And tell those kids to pull up their pants!!   

RyanairGuru

Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:06 am

Quoting Fraspotter (Reply 20):
Honda gives it is "urban metallic"

I was about to say that car companies are the absolute worse for this!

For the purposes of research for this thread I went to the Ford website (no particular reason, first one that came to mind and discovered):

You can have your Fiesta in "Winning Blue" (you know exactly which shade of blue is "winning", don't you?), "Brisbane Brown" (brown is the absolute last colour I would associate with the city of Brisbane), "Midnight Sky" (which appears more grey than black), "Frozen White", "Mars Red" which is not to be confused with "Candy Red". If the Fiesta is too small and you wanted to move up to the Falcon then take your pick from "Winter White" (which is no doubt a radically different shade of white to "Frozen White"), "Archon Bronze" (what the [email protected] does "archon" mean?!?), "Vanish" (which you or I would less subtly refer to as "blue"), "Silhouette" (see the last comment, but substitute "black"), "Lightening Strike" (which inexplicably appears to mean silver), or "Smoke" (fair enough, it looks grey).

Personally, though, I think I'm going to opt for a "Dark Miscatone" Mondeo with an "Infinity" interior.

Quoting Fraspotter (Reply 20):
according to the state of Texas my car is brown.

Worked Hard, Flew Right

MD11Engineer

Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:17 am

Here is the story about the women with the additional optical sensor:
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2014...-the-women-with-super-human-vision

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Airstud
Topic Author

Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:57 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 24):
I was about to say that car companies are the absolute worst for this!

My Toyota is "Barcelona Red."  
Pancakes are delicious.

Viscount724

Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:53 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 24):
For the purposes of research for this thread I went to the Ford website (no particular reason, first one that came to mind and discovered):

You can have your Fiesta in "Winning Blue" (you know exactly which shade of blue is "winning", don't you?), "Brisbane Brown" (brown is the absolute last colour I would associate with the city of Brisbane), "Midnight Sky" (which appears more grey than black), "Frozen White", "Mars Red" which is not to be confused with "Candy Red". If the Fiesta is too small and you wanted to move up to the Falcon then take your pick from "Winter White" (which is no doubt a radically different shade of white to "Frozen White"), "Archon Bronze" (what the [email protected] does "archon" mean?!?), "Vanish" (which you or I would less subtly refer to as "blue"), "Silhouette" (see the last comment, but substitute "black"), "Lightening Strike" (which inexplicably appears to mean silver), or "Smoke" (fair enough, it looks grey).

Available Fiesta colours in Switzerland are: Blazer Blue, Race Red, Frozen White, Panther Black, Midnight Sky, Moondust Silver, Mustard Olive, Fashionista, Copper Pulse, Deep Impact Blue, Blue Candy, Hot Magenta.

And on the sportier Fiesta ST, 3 of the above (Race Red, Frozen White, Panther Black) plus Performance Blue and Molten Orange.

Airstud
Topic Author

Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:25 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 27):
Mustard Olive

Mmmmmmmm, olives...
Pancakes are delicious.

aerorobnz

Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:28 am

Just a few alternative "natural" names...
Pearl White "Whale Jizz"
Sea Foam "Discharge Green"
Grape "Haemorrhoid Purple"
Chocolate "Fecal Brown"
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.