DIRECTFLT

RE: Your First Job? Would You Recommend It Today?

Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:24 am

Yes, my first job was throwing a local paper route in High School.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

compensateme

Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:29 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 48):
But I'm sure that's not the case for a factory worker or other manual job, or indeed a "sales assistant". Aside from that I don't think working more hours is such a great thing anyway, in Japan they work crazy hours and yet the only way they got out of 20 years of stagnation was by printing more money.

50-60 hour work weeks is common for many employees, regardless of profession. As you know, the USA does not have socialized medicine and has traditionally relied on employers providing health benefits to its employees. But the average cost of these benefits is close to $17,000/year. Therefore, most employers have responded by limiting the number of FT employees (in other words, most employees will be hired as PT) and expecting them to work long hours. Ultimately, it's cheaper to pay an employee OT than it is to pay another health benefits + retirement benefits + paid holidays + paid time off (things PT employees typically do not receive).

Many companies do offer PT employees paid time off & paid holidays after they've worked the job for a specific amount of time (generally one year), but the amount of time has gradually been reduced. For example, most PT employees may receive 20 hours of paid time off + 12 hours of paid holidays after a year, but that benefit rarely increases unless the employee stays 5 or more years. And many growing companies, such as Dollar Tree, do not offer PT associates ANY paid time off whatsoever, regardless of length of employment.

[Edited 2014-10-18 18:41:59]
We don’t care what your next flight is.

57AZ

Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:45 pm

My first job was working as a trainman in passenger train service for a local short line in Tennessee. Started when I turned 16 and worked there through high school and college. Got promoted to passenger train Conductor my first year. Hours were long and the work quite hard. However, the pay was $7.25 an hour (minimum wage was $4.25 then) and I got a lot of responsibility as the conductor is responsible for the management of the train. During the peak season, there would be two or three trains operating simultaneously, requiring full crews.

It was a good job in that we had good managers and every employee was provided with proper training and instruction that could be applied to other jobs (both within the company and otherwise). I got to build a lot of relationships with staff at other railways and got a lot of experience dealing with issues that developed (mechanical breakdowns, customer relations, emergencies). I spent some of my time as the crew scheduler, seeing that trainmen were assigned to the trains as necessary. The challenge was that not all trainmen were qualified for every position on every train, so that made days where three trains were operating challenging. There were plenty of times that I worked up to fifteen days without a day off (and these were 12+ hour days).
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."