jeffh747
Topic Author

Cruise Ship Thread

Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:37 pm

Hey guys,
this summer, part of my travel itinerary took me on a 7 Night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Oasis of the Seas, and sure enough, I got bit by the cruise ship bug. I know there's a few other a.netters here who are also interested in aviation, as well as ships, so that's why I have started this thread where we can discuss news as well as ask questions and discuss.

To kickstart the conversation, I'll ask this: What's the best cruise trip you've ever taken?
A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B

DocLightning

RE: Cruise Ship Thread

Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:10 pm

Recently we've done two cruises. One was on Carnival Miracle and the other was Celebrity Equinox. Both cruises were charters by Atlantis Events, a company that organizes gay travel charters for cruises and resorts (like Club Med).

The Carnival ship was definitely inferior, but it was a more fun cruise just because the cruise was mostly a party cruise with only two ports of call in Mexico. The Celebrity was far superior in terms of service, onboard appearance, and food, but it was a very crowded itinerary around the Mediterranean in the height of August, so it was really hot. I didn't have as much fun on that cruise.

This winter, we'll be taking Celebrity Silhouette for their Atlantis cruise to the Caribbean. One of our stops will be SXM. I'm really excited because it should be a fun (not hectic) cruise on a nice ship.

I'm fascinated by large machines that move people, so cruise ships are very interesting to me. On Equinox I got to take their ship tour to the bridge, engine control, galleys, etc. It was really amazing. I even got to see (on a monitor) what the inside of an Azipod looks like.

I would really love to sail on Oaisis or Allure but as a gay couple, I always worry about being on a regular cruise, especially in the Caribbean. I don't need my vacation ruined with dirty looks from other passengers because we're holding hands on deck and I wouldn't even want to get off at many of the ports because my very existence is illegal there. Also, the Atlantis cruises have great parties and entertainment that regular cruises don't have. We even had Pam Ann on our cruise in Europe and I got to meet her in person!
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

OA260

Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:14 pm

Hi yes a few of us here. About to book another one TATL on the QM2 which is a ship I love.

Quoting jeffh747 (Thread starter):
What's the best cruise trip you've ever taken?

Well I would break it down by a few categories.

Best small luxury experience was for me Silversea. Worth a mention are Azamara Journey and Quest which are country club at sea style. Also I was recently onboard Oceania Marina they had decent food and lovely interiors. Also Illy frozen coffee ice cream which is way too addictive !

Best mid size 4* was the Celebrity Century on a cruise to the Norwegian Fjords. I actually don't like the way RCI/CEL are going these days. I prefer a more traditional cruise holiday.

Best 4* ''Informal/relaxed'' large ship would go to NCL Jade. I just love that ship.

Best 4* large luxury goes hands down to the Cunard QM2 followed by Queen Victoria and then Queen Elizabeth.

Other ships worth a mention are Princess cruises Royal Princess. Lovely ship and food was amazing.

3* Ships anything from Costa cruises and MSC cruises. Ideal for your first cruise and cheap and cheerful.

As you can tell I like the higher grade lines. Having travelled all around the world and done many of the luxury land based beach resorts and All Inclusive's I really do like the cruise ships these days. Recently most have been with Cunard and I like them because I feel so comfortable when I step onboard. The product meets all my requirements and I know many of the crew who always make an effort to welcome me back. It does make me more loyal. Plus of course they run a loyalty program which gets nice little perks similar to airline FF programs.

My first cruise was on the Majesty of the Seas on a 4 nighter from Miami to the Bahamas nearly 20 years ago.I was one of the youngest onboard as cruise holidays back then did not attract the young crowd it does these days ,I have been hooked ever since. I went on many of the RCI fleet and became Diamond level on their loyalty program but then they changed lots of things and it was not for me anymore. Likewise more recently with Celebrity. I did the Millennium a few times and the newer Solstice class but I feel its not for me.

Kiwirob

Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:47 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 1):
I don't need my vacation ruined with dirty looks from other passengers because we're holding hands on deck

How hard is it to not hold hands for a while? You're limiting your activities by being paranoid, you have a room you can do whatever in there.

flynhi808

Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:09 am

Greetings from hawaii!!

Let's just say, Regent!!!

They have some great itineraries. They have three ships, the voyager, mariner, and the navigator. The voyager and mariner cater to only 700 guests and the navigator to 450(I think). The staff actually get to know you personally and make you feel right at home. All of their ships are six out of six stars. The prices are a little high, but everything is included (shore excursions, alcohol, tips, and much more). Check them out at www.rssc.com

Fly HI,

flynhi808

[Edited 2014-10-27 01:11:28]

[Edited 2014-10-27 01:12:09]
fly-n-HI-808

OA260

Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:57 am

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 3):
How hard is it to not hold hands for a while? You're limiting your activities by being paranoid, you have a room you can do whatever in there.

These style of cruises have never appealed to me personally but they do to a lot of the Gay community. A friend of mine who worked on Celebrity for 5 years told me she had worked on two of them. The crew actually like them as its a more relaxed informal cruise for the crew. They are allowed to do things that they wouldnt be allowed to on a regular cruise.
( Make of that what you will ) ! She did say that it was a mad week with anything goes and cabin swapping. Im sure plenty of Gay couples go and are not interested in or don't see that side.

Personally I like to go on a regular cruise where I meet people from all walks of life and nationalities,genders. I don't need to hold my partners hand in public or kiss in public. For me that is a private matter and I don't like seeing a hetro couple eating each others face off in public either!

For the record Cunard does attract a sizeable Gay following and I have seen guys holding hands walking on deck and no one has even battered an eyelid.

Quoting flynhi808 (Reply 4):
Let's just say, Regent

Certainly one on my to do list. They seem quite good and according to friends who have sailed with them they are on par with Oceania and Silversea. Maybe even better.

einsteinboricua

Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:56 am

The three times I've been on a cruise, they've been aboard the same itinerary on the same ship: Adventure of the Seas

Good for a first time cruise and has everything a family needs: from kids to teens to adults. But after a while, taking the same cruise ship over and over again gets tiresome.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

DocLightning

Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:22 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 2):

Hi yes a few of us here. About to book another one TATL on the QM2 which is a ship I love.

That's a trip I'd really enjoy taking. I'm an ocean liner geek and to sail on the world's only operational ocean liner would be quite a thing. My husband, on the other hand, is less enthusiastic about this idea.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 2):

Best mid size 4* was the Celebrity Century on a cruise to the Norwegian Fjords. I actually don't like the way RCI/CEL are going these days. I prefer a more traditional cruise holiday.

In what way?

Quoting OA260 (Reply 2):
My first cruise was on the Majesty of the Seas on a 4 nighter from Miami to the Bahamas nearly 20 years ago.I was one of the youngest onboard as cruise holidays back then did not attract the young crowd it does these days ,I have been hooked ever since.

My first two cruises were at age 19 and age 23. At age 19, we took RCCL's Legend of the Seas from San Juan, through the Panama Canal to Acapulco. The passage through the Canal was pretty remarkable. I had a great time on that cruise. My second was aboard Celebrity Galaxy around the North Sea with my parents. On that ship, I was in an odd age group. All the other passengers were either teenagers with their parents or adults over 40. There were very few young adults my age and the few there were were from Mexico. I happen to be fully English/Spanish bilingual, so that helped, but still, there was a culture gap. I had also just graduated from grad school in a place where I was very happy and was about to start medical school in a place I really didn't want to be (but it was that or don't be a doctor), so that cast a pall over the trip, too. Interestingly, on the RCCL trip at age 19, I was totally allowed to drink (although alcohol has never really appealed to me, even at that age). The rules seem to be different now on most cruise lines.

Ships built before the turn of the century were constructed a bit differently. In older ships, there were some decks of cabins, then the public spaces were put on the middle decks, and then there were a few decks of higher-end cabins, most of which had balconies up top, topped off with a lido/pool deck. The standard has changed so that now the public spaces are on the bottom two passenger decks, then there is an uninterrupted run of floors with staterooms, allowing most of them to have balconies, and then the top two or three decks are public space (lido, buffet, pool).

Then as now I'm fascinated by the machinery. I watch every arrival and departure (if I'm awake) and I love watching the operations that go on around harbors. Much as airliners fascinate me with their technical wizardry, modern passenger ships also amaze me. In many ways, modern passenger liners provide many of the services that were provided by ships like SS Normandie and RMS Queen Mary. There is refrigeration, climate control (although the old ocean liners didn't feature air conditioning; they didn't have to), provision for vast quantities of food, hot and cold water, electricity and lighting, elevators, sewage management, and propulsion. But what's changed is the way in which these things are done. Instead of a steam loop down in the engine room powering all the machinery, modern cruise ships are all-electric in architecture. All services are provided by electricity

How hard is it to not hold hands for a while?

We're on vacation. YOU go on vacation without holding hands with your wife.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 5):

For the record Cunard does attract a sizeable Gay following and I have seen guys holding hands walking on deck and no one has even battered an eyelid.

Cunard's cilentele tend to be of a socioeducational background that would be less hostile.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Ken777

Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:50 pm

would really love to sail on Oaisis or Allure but as a gay couple, I always worry about being on a regular cruise, especially in the Caribbean.

We just finished a Caribbean cruise 2 weeks ago and there were gay couples on board. Didn't see any thrown overboard by the bigots and they seemed to be having a good time. Like straight couples, they weren't making out in public areas.

Go ahead and take a cruise on the Oaisis or Allure and have a great time.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 2):
I went on many of the RCI fleet and became Diamond level on their loyalty program but then they changed lots of things and it was not for me anymore.

Interesting comment for me as, while we enjoyed our cruise in the Caribbean 2 weeks ago we found that the food was not as good as the RCCL cruises we have take in the Med. I must admit that we are retired and look at price before picking a cruise - the last one was $394 pp (before "fees") for 7 days. That tends to get our attention.

What were the main changes that turned you off the line?

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 7):
YOU go on vacation without holding hands with your wife.

My wife doesn't spend too much time holding my hand on a cruise - she's too busy shopping. But then we've been married for 45 years and you are still a newly wed.

(although the old ocean liners didn't feature air conditioning; they didn't have to)

I was in the Navy serving on the USS Long Beach when the Queen Mary sailed into Long Beach on her last voyage. The one big complaint of passengers who had paid out a lot of money to sail on her one last time was that she was totally inadequate at keeping her guests comfortable when in hot climates. Some pretty rough comments there. We were the official welcoming ship for the last few miles - along with a thousand or two private boats of all sizes. You would have enjoyed that sight. The old gal is still in Long Beach as a hotel and, I believe, you could get a tour of parts of the ship if you and hubby stayed there.

IH8BY

Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:07 pm

I just came back from my first ever cruise just over a week ago. Going on a cruise as a 28 year old single man I genuinely didn't know what to expect, but had a fantastic time. In spite of dear old Hurricane Gonzalo changing the itinerary from Eastern to Western Caribbean (no SXM! next time...) it was a great experience. I was on Caribbean Princess, just went for an inside cabin and opted for traditional dining, which worked out great for me. I opted for the 'soda and more' package, but I hadn't reckoned on it being so sociable, and ended up spending quite a lot of money on drinks. Ah well, it was fun and worth it. I'd definitely do it again, though I may request that the ship get a better DJ - one who actually pays attention to what's happening on the dance floor.

I'm fascinated by large machines that move people, so cruise ships are very interesting to me. On Equinox I got to take their ship tour to the bridge, engine control, galleys, etc. It was really amazing. I even got to see (on a monitor) what the inside of an Azipod looks like.

Also fascinated by this sort of thing - I'd love to do that kind of tour so I will be doing that if I can next time.

I would really love to sail on Oaisis or Allure but as a gay couple, I always worry about being on a regular cruise, especially in the Caribbean. I don't need my vacation ruined with dirty looks from other passengers because we're holding hands on deck and I wouldn't even want to get off at many of the ports because my very existence is illegal there.

Difficult to say how it would be perceived. I was aware that were a few gay couples on my ship, but I didn't see anyone holding hands. The new itinerary included Jamaica, which holds its own challenges.

Except that you're on vacation, and you want to do what you want. It's a shame to have to go to the extent of going on an all-gay cruise just because you would like to walk down the promenade deck holding hands.
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

garnetpalmetto

Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:17 pm

I would really love to sail on Oaisis or Allure but as a gay couple, I always worry about being on a regular cruise, especially in the Caribbean. I don't need my vacation ruined with dirty looks from other passengers because we're holding hands on deck and I wouldn't even want to get off at many of the ports because my very existence is illegal there. Also, the Atlantis cruises have great parties and entertainment that regular cruises don't have. We even had Pam Ann on our cruise in Europe and I got to meet her in person!

I've been on 4 cruises on RCI now to the Caribbean Doc, on Grandeur of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Serenade of the Seas, and last week, Majesty of the Seas. You and your hubby would be perfectly fine. On each ship we've seen gay and lesbian couples and they've not gotten a second look. Heck, one of the most fun guys on Freedom was a flamingly fabulous guy (I mean a 6-alarm fire worth of flames) and he was the toast of the party when we went to one of the nightclubs onboard with our tablemates. Beyond that, if you go, look for Friends of Dorothy meetings - you'll hardly be the only LGBT cruisers on that ship   If you want to do Oasis or Allure though, do them soon - Oasis is switching over to RCI's new Dynamic Dining sometime soon and I wouldn't be surprised if Allure did the same and if the third and fourth units of the class had it straight away.

Ships built before the turn of the century were constructed a bit differently. In older ships, there were some decks of cabins, then the public spaces were put on the middle decks, and then there were a few decks of higher-end cabins, most of which had balconies up top, topped off with a lido/pool deck. The standard has changed so that now the public spaces are on the bottom two passenger decks, then there is an uninterrupted run of floors with staterooms, allowing most of them to have balconies, and then the top two or three decks are public space (lido, buffet, pool).

I've enjoyed looking at the transition in the last 20 years alone. In many ways, Majesty and Grandeur were that old-style ship while Freedom was the new style. We're going on Oasis next year with my wife's best friend and her b/f and looking at the deck plans I was a little surprised to see just how low in the ship the first level of the Main Dining Room was!
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

Kiwirob

Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:34 pm

We're on vacation. YOU go on vacation without holding hands with your wife.

I'm spend more time looking out for my kids than worrying about holding my wifes hand.

Besides who cares about holding hands, I love her, she loves me, holding or not holding hands isn't going to change that; it just sounds like an excuse to me.

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 8):
My wife doesn't spend too much time holding my hand on a cruise - she's too busy shopping.

We've only been on one cruise, she had morning sickness, I spent more time holding her hair than her hand, the rest of the time she was holding my wallet.

DocLightning

Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:41 pm

We just finished a Caribbean cruise 2 weeks ago and there were gay couples on board. Didn't see any thrown overboard by the bigots and they seemed to be having a good time. Like straight couples, they weren't making out in public areas.

I may reconsider, but there are countries where I would not feel safe going ashore, like Jamaica.

We're doing the Atlantis Caribbean cruise aboard Celebrity Silhouette in February, and they choose ports were merely existing isn't a crime.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Kiwirob

Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:12 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 12):
and they choose ports were merely existing isn't a crime.

So these countries actively seek out and prosecute gay men, is it one of the questions authourities ask when you leave the ship? maybe you should just man up and get over it! A gay guy I've known since high school went to Cuba on his honeymoon, loved the place and has been back many times. He hasn't been locked up, beaten up or even given a hard time for being gay.

Ken777

Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:58 pm

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 11):
she had morning sickness,

That does save you some money, unless there is a happy reason for he morning sickness. In that case it's going to cost you a lot before too long.   

I may reconsider, but there are countries where I would not feel safe going ashore, like Jamaica.

We went to Falmouth, Jamaica, on the last cruise and took a tour to a plantation. Interesting and all interaction was with some very nice staff. Other than that we stayed in the small shopping area. got some Blue Mountain coffee (which is served on Air Force 1) and some 12 year old rum for the son-in-law. We did have to go through some slum areas on the tour bus but otherwise it was fine. I don't believe that cruise companies would take the hundreds of thousands of pax to a place where some could be arrested because of who they are. Economically suicide.

OA260

Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:35 pm

My husband, on the other hand, is less enthusiastic about this idea.

Once you get him on he will love it.

In what way?

I do prefer smaller ships and a more conservative,traditional experience. The way RCI are going its like floating housing projects and theme parks. Its just not my thing. I think there is a market for it as they are attracting loads of young couples and Families but its just not my style. They are also nickel and diming as you like to call it over there. RCI are not that cheap on many of their cruises either.

Don't get me wrong I never had a bad RCI cruise I did a lovely TATL from Barcelona to Miami on the Voyager many years ago and it was amazing. I also have been on Independence and Liberty of the seas. I was invited to a launch event for the Quantum next weekend in Southampton but it clashed so I not going. I was on Brilliance,Majesty,Sovereign too.

The passage through the Canal was pretty remarkable

I would love to do that. I also want to take a cruise along the coast of South America.

Cunard's cilentele tend to be of a socioeducational background that would be less hostile.

True. I have met so many interesting and educated people on my Cunard trips. I also love to attend the talks by various guest speakers. On my QM2 trip Rolf Harris was on entertaining us but sadly recent revelations have soured that experience. They were actually reading his home when he was onboard with us. On my cruise on Queen Victoria last year a former BA Concorde pilot was speaking over a series of days and it was as you can imagine wonderful to meet and listen to him.

What were the main changes that turned you off the line?

As above and also they totally devalued the Crown and Anchor Club so that after all my voyages and being Diamond it was worthless. On Celebrity they did the same and started closing off places I once enjoyed to allow only Zenith members in and shut the Elites out. I just don't need that on vacations.

My wife doesn't spend too much time holding my hand on a cruise - she's too busy shopping. But then we've been married for 45 years and you are still a newly wed.

I often see couples who have been married for 40 years plus holding hands,dancing in the ballroom and I think its so nice.

Quoting IH8BY (Reply 9):
Caribbean Princess,

Ahhh I love that ship ! The International cafe with all the desserts  http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae40/PhilipOA260/caribpr1_zpsb7a027ff.jpg

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae40/PhilipOA260/caribpr2_zpsc9a3bfa9.jpg

And the weird travelator to the nightclub .

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae40/PhilipOA260/caribpr3_zpsf0731926.jpg

like Jamaica.

+1 A place where I never want to set foot in ever again. Sorry if it causes offence to anyone as its not meant to be but I really didn't feel welcome for safe there and it is the most homophobic of the Caribbean Islands.

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 13):
Cuba

Ive been to Cuba 4 times and its totally different than the likes of Jamaica.

garnetpalmetto

Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:50 pm

Again, Doc, I think you'd be fine on the itinerary we're doing next October - 7 night on Oasis going to Nassau (where we likely will stay on the ship and enjoy it while all those other suckers are in port!), St. Thomas, and St. Maarten. The only other thing(s) that would make that cruise the best ever would be a day at Coco Cay and a day at Key West.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

Fly787s

Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:40 pm

Hi all. Trent from Birmingham, AL here. I use to have a membership to these forums, but was never an active contributor. I've decided to change that.

I, too, am an avid enthusiast of cruise ships/ocean liners. Currently, I've been on eight cruises, with the most recent being in September aboard the Carnival Breeze on an 8-day itinerary to the southern Caribbean. Other lines I have sailed include Royal Caribbean, Princess, Celebrity, and NCL.

I have enjoyed every cruise I've ever taken; however, two stand out as being my favorites.

NCL Epic
Epic was my second cruise with NCL, the first being aboard Jewel. I enjoyed the "Free Style" concept of NCL and the energetic atmosphere aboard the Jewel. A year after my cruise aboard the Jewel, I decided to book Epic. Epic won me over with the new addition of the Studios - cabins for the solo traveler with private access to the Studio Lounge and cruise concierge. Even though I traveled solo, I met many people from the studios - many of which I keep in touch with to this day. Just like my previous cruise with NCL, there was an energetic attitude and the staff were very personable. The only negative aspect is the exterior of the ship from an aesthetic standpoint is down right hideous.

Crown Princess
From a design standpoint, Crown Princess is my favorite. I actually enjoyed the fact that there are no slides, water parks, zip-lines, etc. onboard this ship. To me, I felt like I was on an actual ship. I found the subdued, yet elegant decor to be very tasteful and appealing. While there were 3,000 other guests aboard, there wasn't ever any crowding, especially on sea days since the ship has four pools.

My least favorite ship was RCCL's Sovereign of the Seas. I took this cruise in 2007 and found the ship to be dated and bland.

I would really love to sail on Oaisis or Allure but as a gay couple, I always worry about being on a regular cruise, especially in the Caribbean. I don't need my vacation ruined with dirty looks from other passengers because we're holding hands on deck and I wouldn't even want to get off at many of the ports because my very existence is illegal there.

I'm gay also and have only sailed on regular cruises. I can tell you from my experiences, I have never came across any negativity from other guests. I usually cruise with my travel companion, who is also gay and assumed by others to be my boyfriend, and we've never came across any rude behavior. We also make it a point to attend the "Friends of Dorothy" meetings and come across many other gay travelers. I'm also active on Cruise Critic and attend the meet and greets aboard ship. I've met nothing but pleasant and welcoming people in those groups.

I would definitely recommend trying a regular cruise with your husband. I think you will find the less stimulation a nice and welcoming component of the cruise. If you're worried about gay friendliness of the islands, I suggest booking a southern Caribbean itinerary that includes ports-of-call to Curacao and Aruba. They're Dutch possessions and tend to be more open-minded and gay friendly than islands that are part of the British Commonwealth. I've visited both island twice and enjoyed myself.

jetwet1

Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:11 am

I am going to date myself here, first cruise was on the QE2, next was on the Cunard Countess, you can throw in a mix of older NCL ships as well, the Norway and Skyward, my father worked for Cunard then RCCL.

We could cruise for free on RCCL, but every time we did my father would get pulled into something and he quickly learned to hate working on his family vacations, so we ended up on NCL where if my memory serves me correctly, we paid $25 for a 1 week cruise, and though it was not my fathers line the crew on the NCL ships would make sure he was happy.

During my teen years we would fly out to Miami on the Saturday after school was done with, we would then spend the whole school holiday on board one of the RCCL ships, I personally loved the Song of Norway, just something about her that I loved, I can't tell you what it was.

The wife and I used to cruise a couple of times a year, once with friends for a "party" cruise, normally on Carnival, then a second cruise for a more relaxed "us" cruise, normally on Princess or HAL, though once in a while I would open the purse strings and go nuts, which brings us to.

Best small ship:

Seadream, it's not even close, while OA260 may have a thing for Silversea, and I can understand that, the level of service on Seadream is a notch higher, though with only 100 pax and for the price you pay it should be.

Best midsize 4*, Zuiderdam, though, you do need to book one of the top suites to get the full experience. I would also throw the Sea Princess in there as well, but that's only because of the Lasagna they have on baord.

Best Large: I will have to defer to others on this one.

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 13):
So these countries actively seek out and prosecute gay men, is it one of the questions authourities ask when you leave the ship?

Sadly yes, there are a few islands that have a bad history when it comes to gay men, though I will say, having traveled to these islands with friends who are gay I didn't see any issues.

As I noted in other Cruise Ship threads, I really want to try the QM 2, in a cabin on the starboard side. As a kid the house I lived in looked on to Southampton water, the Echo would post the sailing times of the liners, I would watch them sail by, it would be interesting to get the other perspective. For those that have sailed out on Southampton Water, the house was pretty much parallel with end of the Esso jetty on the Calshot side.

Kiwirob

Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:18 pm

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 18):
Sadly yes, there are a few islands that have a bad history when it comes to gay men, though I will say, having traveled to these islands with friends who are gay I didn't see any issues.

The locals are only going to know Docs gay if he draws attention to himself, if Doc doesn't he should be fine.

OA260

Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:13 pm

The next new ships to launch :

Royal Caribbean Quantum of the Seas

Princess cruises Regal Princess

Costa cruises Diadema

DocLightning

Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:48 pm

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 19):
The locals are only going to know Docs gay if he draws attention to himself, if Doc doesn't he should be fine.

"Should be." What makes you think that I want to go ashore and contribute to the local economy in a place where...if anyone does figure it out...I risk arrest?

Anyway, I have a question about propulsion systems.

On modern cruise ships, all of them are diesel-electric. Now, some have fixed screws and some have azimuthing thrusters (ABB "Azipod" or RR "Mermaid"). Now, for the azimuthing thrusters, it's obvious why diesel-electric propulsion is necessary, but for ships with fixed screws, why not just have dedicated propulsion engines that are directly geared? Wouldn't this be more efficient? Large cargo ships use direct-drive screws, so why not passenger ships?

[Edited 2014-10-28 11:57:39]
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Kiwirob

Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:06 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 21):
"Should be." What makes you think that I want to go ashore and contribute to the local economy in a place where...if anyone does figure it out...I risk arrest?

Wow Doc I never though you would be the kind of guy that would use his sexuality as an excuse. I couldn't imagine someone like Mariner being afraid.

Based on these laws they would have to catch you in the act of buggery to get into trouble, if you can keep it in your pants you would be fine.

Quote:

Section 76. Unnatural crime. Whosoever shall be convicted of the abominable crime of buggery ... shall be liable to be imprisoned and kept to hard labour for a term not exceeding ten years.

Section 77. Attempt. Whosoever shall attempt to commit the said abominable crime, or shall be guilty of any assault with intent to commit the same, or of any indecent assault upon any male person, shall be guilty of a misdemeanour, and being convicted thereof, shall be liable to be imprisoned for a term not exceeding seven years, with or without hard labour.

Section 79. Outrages on decency. Any male person who, in public or private, commits, or is a party to the commission of, or procures or attempts to procure the commission by any male person of, any act of gross indecency with another male person, shall be guilty of a misdemeanour, and being convicted thereof shall be liable at the discretion of the court to be imprisoned for a term not exceeding two years, with or without hard labour.
Anyway, I have a question about propulsion systems.

My guess is that it's more efficient to use electricity to power the props, they can also place the engines in the optimal location, most cruise vessels place them in the middle of the vessel rather than the stern, so no requirement to run a long shaft. Container ships only have a single engine so direct drive is uncomplicated, they also don't have to worry about vibrations unsettling customers. With a cruiseship you need redundancy, so if any engine fails the others can pick up the load quickly. Cruiseships also generate large amounts of electricity for the hotel load, might as well use if for propulsion as well.

this should also interest you

http://www.dnv.com/binaries/ship%20machinery_cossmos_tcm4-528552.pdf

Kiwirob

Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:09 pm

DocLightning

Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:54 pm

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 22):

Wow Doc I never though you would be the kind of guy that would use his sexuality as an excuse.

Uh, a country with laws like this is not a country that is going to get my support. I won't spend my money there.

As for propulsion, my guess is that D-E propulsion is common, based on the documents provided, for cruise ships because they have a large variation in power requirement (they cruise at all sorts of different speeds from day to day) and they're constantly in and out of port, so they need the ability to reverse and go forward quickly and in rapid alternation.

A large freighter, on the other hand, spends most of its time cruising at a set cruising speed from one port to the next, with several days or even weeks between ports of call, so for that reason a direct drive makes more sense.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

compliancecheck

Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:58 pm

My partner and I cruise exclusively on Celebrity. I have never felt judged by the staff or other Customers. We have actually met many friends we still cruise with and keep in touch with on these cruises who are also gay (partnered and single). We are sailing next on Celebrity Summit this coming January out of SJU. It is the opposite itinerary to the one we did this past January.

As far as the ports in the Caribbean, we have never had an issue being gay, but also don't flaunt our sexuality or enjoy PDA's in public in these places. It has never bothered us.

DocLightning

Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:36 am

The old gal is still in Long Beach as a hotel and, I believe, you could get a tour of parts of the ship if you and hubby stayed there.

Oh, I missed this.

RMS Queen Mary's engine room is one of my favorite places on the planet. I literally choke up when I go down there. To think that all that was built without computers is a testament to human ingenuity.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

garnetpalmetto

Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:46 am

all of them are diesel-electric.

One correction here, Doc. Most, but not all are D-E. RCI's Radiance-class ships (Radiance, Brilliance, Serenade, and Jewel), for example, are powered by GE LM2500+ gas turbines.

TheSonntag

Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:00 am

Living in Hamburg, Germany, we just saw the Quantum of the Seas being serviced at Blohm + Voss shipworks. The ship was just completed in Emden, Germany and was now getting the last repairs required before getting ready for service.

Quite an impressive ship, although I personally think the Cunard ships like the Queen Mary are more elegant, since they are in line of a huge old tradition of trans atlantic ships like Titanic. The Quantom of the Seas looked more like a huge hotel on the water.

Still wanna take a cruise tripe once, however.

einsteinboricua

Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:33 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 24):
Uh, a country with laws like this is not a country that is going to get my support. I won't spend my money there.

You don't have to go ashore if you don't want to. Granted, it's no fun to be stuck on a ship all day when you can go out and about, but no one is forcing you to go ashore. And while you're officially married, can't you fake it for a few hours? How many people really spend the entire 8-10 hours ashore? When I went to the islands, we'd disembark at about 10am and be back by 2pm, even though the ship arrived at 8am and left at 5pm.

On the other hand, while everyone is exploring the port of call, the ship's amenities are yours.

Dano1977

Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:35 pm

I've just come back from the worst cruise ship holiday I have ever experienced.

My partner and I are limited to when we can take holidays, due to our daughter with severe learning difficulties, and we can only get 7 nights continuous respite care at certain times of year.

So our choice of cruise holiday was limited. We could of gone on Norwegian Epic, but the prices be quoted for that were in the silly category. Everything else was booked up solid or not the dates we could do. But up popped a Thomson Cruise holiday 7 days around the med. Seemed a perfect fit. Yep the ship was on the old side, but in the pictures it looked clean, and Thomson marketed this as a platinum cruise.

So we booked up, we got an outside premium cabin and all inclusive upgrade for £1900 total (This included return flights).

The ship was clean, and tidy and the crew were super friendly, no complaints there what so ever.

We found out that all inclusive didn't mean all inclusive. If I ordered a Vodka Lemonade from the bar, the vodka was poured in the glass and I was given a can of Sprite. This was all included. But If i went to the bar and just ordered a Sprite, I was given the can, but this was classed a premium drink and charged £1.20. We found out lots of stuff was classed as premium drinks and not included.

The food was so salty, it left your mouth feeling pretty horrible and the lips feeling "wrinkled"

At the captains welcome dinner, we were served a 7 course "fine dining" menu, in 1hr 10mins, My beef wellington was over cooked, and I told the head waiter, to which he sniffed my plate, said it didn't smell burnt and walked off.

The Vegetables were not fresh and frozen.

The cakes and deserts were all packet mix or frozen.

Our cabin flooded due to the toilet not stopping filling up and being flushed - The problem was sorted quickly but we were left with a soggy carpet, which we complained about numerous times before being sorted.

After 2 days, I wanted to leave at Villefranche Sur Mer, catch a taxi to Nice and get on the first flight back to the U.K.

The highlight of the trip, on the flight out, we flew on a Scimitar winglett equipped B738.
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.

Ken777

Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:38 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 24):
Uh, a country with laws like this is not a country that is going to get my support

There is a difference between your understandable preference not to spend money in countries where your life is against the law and being personally afraid to step foot on land in these countries. The first I believe is most reasonable. The second issue I believe is unnecessary - simply because the economic impact of cruise ship visits provides a lot of protection for the gay & lesbian passengers. Jamaica doesn't want to be taken off the list of ports visited - there is simply too much money involved.

OA260

Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:51 pm

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 28):
Living in Hamburg, Germany

It must be nice. Do you go to Hafencity to see the Cunard ships in dock? Some nice views there.

I personally think the Cunard ships like the Queen Mary are more elegant,

+1

Still wanna take a cruise tripe once, however.

Id like to do a mini cruise of 2 nights on it just to see it but no more than that.

Quoting Dano1977 (Reply 30):
Thomson Cruise holiday 7 days around the med. Seemed a perfect fit. Yep the ship was on the old side, but in the pictures it looked clean, and Thomson marketed this as a platinum cruise.

Oh when I saw Thomson I knew immediately. They really don't perform well in terms of food and as you found out the so called AI ! Its a shame because they have some interesting itineraries. They have been selling them here in Ireland for around EUR899 AI a neighbour of mine asked me about them.

Sorry you didn't have a good time and due to your circumstances I can only imagine it was really important to get that break. The one thing that usually gets good feedback is their entertainment , did you feel that was the case?

-----

BTW for anyone that might be interested I have some TRs of some of the ships I have been on. Maybe if someone wants to use them to see what the ships are like if planning and wanting to see some pics it might come in useful :

British Airways Club And Cunard's Queen Mary 2 TA (by OA260 Feb 26 2013 in Trip Reports)

Cunard Queen Victoria Cruise + British Airways DM. (by OA260 Dec 29 2013 in Trip Reports)

Cunard Queen Elizabeth+New British Airways Airbus‏ (by OA260 May 19 2014 in Trip Reports)

British Airways Club Europe/NCL Cruise Ship+Photos (by OA260 Aug 12 2008 in Trip Reports)

Holland America's New Cruise Ship/BE BHD-SOU Pics+ (by OA260 Jun 29 2008 in Trip Reports)

BMI J Class/Royal Caribbean New Ship/Vids+Pics (by OA260 Apr 29 2008 in Trip Reports)

FlyBe To See The Worlds Largest Cruise Liner! (by OA260 Apr 24 2007 in Trip Reports)

NCL Cruise Ship ''Breakaway'' Inaugural+Aer Lingus (by OA260 May 2 2013 in Trip Reports)

Celebrity Equinox Cruise Ship Launch+E195 Pics (by OA260 Jul 31 2009 in Trip Reports)

Silversea Expedition Pa2 Cruise+Aer Lingus+Pics (by OA260 Jun 6 2009 in Trip Reports)

Norwegian Cruise Lines + Aer Lingus +EI GC Lounge. (by OA260 May 8 2012 in Trip Reports)
RE: Holland America's New Cruise Ship/BE BHD-SOU Pics+ (by ClassicLover Jun 29 2008 in Trip Reports)

Ryanair/DUB-ORK/Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship/W Pics (by OA260 Jun 23 2007 in Trip Reports)

DUB-AMS EI/New NCL Cruise Ship/LHR-DUB BD Pics+Vid (by OA260 Oct 7 2007 in Trip Reports)

NCL Jade-Aviation Museum-Spotting TFN/ACE+Madeira. (by OA260 May 17 2012 in Trip Reports)

A Very Royal Princess Cruises Inaugural+Aer Lingus (by OA260 Jun 13 2013 in Trip Reports)

[Edited 2014-10-29 11:22:49]

[Edited 2014-10-29 11:24:15]

Dano1977

Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:13 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 32):
Sorry you didn't have a good time and due to your circumstances I can only imagine it was really important to get that break. The one thing that usually gets good feedback is their entertainment , did you feel that was the case?

The entertainment was good. The performers were excellent and did a wide variety of music. The only let down was the "Big UK Comedy Act".

I'd never heard of him nor my partner. Apparently he is big in Blackpool, but doesn't fill a jockstrap anywhere else. Also some of the jokes were older than the comedian himself, and he was in his mid 60's.

The Itinerary we had was...

Palma
Day at Sea
VilleFranche Sur Mer (Nice + Monaco)
Livorno (Pisa and Florence)
Rapello (Cancelled due to rough sea conditions - Docked in Genoa)
Toulon
Barcelona
Palma

If this was our first cruise, then it would of put us off for life, but thankfully, we have been lucky to travel with other cruise companies, so we know that better is out there.

Their were winners from Gala Bingo who won a "A trip of a lifetime". They were loud, Obnoxious and sat in the bar from 10am to 2am just getting quickly plastered. When they were drunk, the language coming from their mouths would put a Quintin Tarrantino film to shame.

The ship wasn't big enough to hide from them or get away.
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.

garnetpalmetto

Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:36 pm

Quoting Dano1977 (Reply 33):

Their were winners from Gala Bingo who won a "A trip of a lifetime". They were loud, Obnoxious and sat in the bar from 10am to 2am just getting quickly plastered. When they were drunk, the language coming from their mouths would put a Quintin Tarrantino film to shame.

I know the feeling - our last cruise on Majesty of the Seas we had a rather loud gentleman at the table next to us in the Main Dining Room. One of our tablemates, a surgeon, was pondering excuses to perform an emergency tracheotomy on him...

OA260

Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:34 pm

The entertainment was good. The performers were excellent and did a wide variety of music.

Yes at least they have that. Everyone says its very much tailored to the Brits.

Also some of the jokes were older than the comedian himself, and he was in his mid 60's.

LOL.... I can picture it. Seen a few of those before.

If this was our first cruise, then it would of put us off for life, but thankfully, we have been lucky to travel with other cruise companies, so we know that better is out there.

For sure I took my Mum on her first cruise last year and she was not fussed at first but I kept on at her to set a time to go as I knew once she got on she would love it. Thats why I paid a bit more and took her on the Queen Victoria. I knew if I didn't get it right then I would never get her on one again. So all went well and she loved it. I asked her if she wanted to go on one this year but she declined. Maybe next year she said. For her the food was impressive. We celebrated my birthday onboard and dined at the speciality French restaurant which was amazing.

Their were winners from Gala Bingo who won a "A trip of a lifetime". They were loud,

Say no more ! Thank god I have been lucky. These days Im usually with a friend or my partner so go for a table for 2. When I was sailing solo I went for a table for 8 so at least you would find a few people you clicked with. I remember being docked in Tenerife when a Thomson ship came in next to us. We were on MSC which had its flaws ( entertainment being one ) but were glad we were not on the Thomson one as it was like benefit Britain on tour !

What I would suggest is maybe the mini cruises from Southampton. They are great for 2-3 nights especially if thats all you can easily do. They are great to sample a luxury weekend to try the product. Cunard do them throughout the year and they start off around £200pp so no more than a luxury weekend break in a hotel.

DocLightning

Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:54 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 31):
There is a difference between your understandable preference not to spend money in countries where your life is against the law and being personally afraid to step foot on land in these countries.

I don't expect you to understand if you haven't had to live with this kind of homophobia. But trust me: it's frightening, even in the US.

Extralegal violence against members of the LGBT community is common in places like Jamaica. They don't need to catch you "doing anything" to attack, they just need to think that you're gay. And in a situation like that, the police are unikely to do much to help.

On our cruise aboard Carnival Miracle there was another passenger who I named "El Sarpullido." That's Spanish for "The Rash." We couldn't get rid of him. To make things worse, he took a liking to both my husband and me. He would get stupid drunk and try to grope us. There was just no escape. To make things worse, the man was actually a fellow physician. A psychiatrist, of all things.

Fortunately, there wasn't anyone like that on our Med cruise.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Ken777

Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:32 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 36):
Extralegal violence against members of the LGBT community is common in places like Jamaica.

The only violence I can recall was one very good friend having his throat cut in a gay bar. Fortunately he came through that physically, but had a certain level of nervousness after that. This was in Oklahoma, BTW, A backward state for sure when it comes to tolerance, but this one caught me by surprise.

As for Jamaica, we spent our time on a bus, on the plantation we were visiting, and in the tightly controlled shopping area by the pier. There was no desire to walk around outside those controlled areas as those other areas were slums where we would have the same risks as you.

In reality places like Jamaica aren't that great a port stop when compared to the Med. If I was on another ship that went to Jamaica in the future I might get off the ship if the son-in-law wanted more of the 12 year old rum, or the Blue Mountain coffee. Otherwise the place just ain't interesting enough for multiple visits.

TheSonntag

Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:56 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 32):
It must be nice. Do you go to Hafencity to see the Cunard ships in dock? Some nice views there.

Sometimes. 2 years ago the QM2 was inside Dock 17 for maintenance. You could see the ship from the Reeperbahn. Very impressive. We usually see the ship from the Altonaer Balkon, however. Personally I hate the Hafencity. A good example on how not to build a new city quarter, but that is probably off-topic.

Dano1977

Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:36 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 35):
Thomson one as it was like benefit Britain on tour !

That's exactly how I would describe it, along with a splattering of Jeremy Kyle contestants/victims

I've written a letter to Thomson, expressing our total dissatisfaction, and to be honest, I'm not expecting a response.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 36):
On our cruise aboard Carnival Miracle there was another passenger who I named "El Sarpullido." That's Spanish for "The Rash." We couldn't get rid of him. To make things worse, he took a liking to both my husband and me. He would get stupid drunk and try to grope us. There was just no escape. To make things worse, the man was actually a fellow physician. A psychiatrist, of all things.

Fortunately, there wasn't anyone like that on our Med cruise.

There was a gentleman, like you describe who was always wearing a replica soccer shirt... He was drunk by 10:30am and obnoxious. I was personally hoping that one of the ex Ghurka Regiment security guards on board, was going to show him the error of his ways in the way Ghurkas know how.

OA260

Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:50 am

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 38):
Personally I hate the Hafencity. A good example on how not to build a new city quarter, but that is probably off-topic.

Really? As a tourist I found Hafencity so user friendly and the train link right across from the terminal was brilliant. So many ports in Europe have bad train connections. We got to the airport in no time at all and for around EUR3-4.

Quoting Dano1977 (Reply 39):
I've written a letter to Thomson, expressing our total dissatisfaction, and to be honest, I'm not expecting a response.

Considering the flooding issue alone you have a case for compensation / future travel voucher. I would not let this go and don't accept any ''thanks for sailing with us and we hope you do again soon'' reply. I would also call them as a letter is sometimes easy for them to brush off. These things do happen but they need to do service recovery.

Dano1977

Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:25 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 40):
future travel voucher.

Which will be politely declined   

I wrote a letter, sent it by Fedex next day delivery, as you only have 28 days to complain about the holiday under their terms and conditions.

But also under their terms and conditions, they also have 28 days to write a response.

If I haven't heard anything by 20 days, then I will be giving them a call. Just to make sure they have received my letter and it's being investigated.

TheSonntag

Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:35 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 40):
Really? As a tourist I found Hafencity so user friendly and the train link right across from the terminal was brilliant.

To be fair with the HC, it is not yet finished. Yet there is no urban life whatsoever, no mix of different social classes from the population, almost no restaurants and bars (compared to Ottensen/Altona or Sternschanze quarters, which show how it coud be). Just boring cubic flats.

OA260

Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:36 pm

Quoting Dano1977 (Reply 41):
Which will be politely declined   

I presume it could be used within the Thomson group i.e.: land based LOL...

Quoting Dano1977 (Reply 41):
If I haven't heard anything by 20 days, then I will be giving them a call. Just to make sure they have received my letter and it's being investigated.

I always find a companies FB page highlighting what happened has a good reach and usually results in swift replies or a PM as thousands can see it. Most don't like the bad PR.  

OA260

Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:19 pm

This day in 1968 Queen Elizabeth set sail from New York for the last time .

OA260

Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:06 am

QOTS arriving into Southampton.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae40/PhilipOA260/qntm_zpsa0a8ecfd.jpg

Dano1977

Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:55 pm

Has anybody on here been with Seabourn

Quoting OA260 (Reply 49):

I thought it would look bigger...

einsteinboricua

Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:12 pm

Quoting Dano1977 (Reply 50):

The Quantum class is smaller than the Oasis class but bigger than the Freedom class.

What I don't understand is the "Quantum" name and how it relates to Anthem and Ovation.

The other classes have similar names: Freedom, Liberty, and Independence; Adventure, Explorer, Mariner, Navigator, and Voyager; Oasis and Allure...

garnetpalmetto

Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:12 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 48):

Interestingly, United States still holds the Blue Riband. The Hales Trophy, however, belongs to one of the fast cats. But the rules are different. The Riband winner had to be in passenger service. Hales just has to be a passenger ship.

Such a shame to see her rusting away tied up to the pier in Philly. I wish something had come of Norwegian's plans to press her back into service.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 49):
QOTS arriving into Southampton.

I have such mixed feelings about the Quantum-class. There are elements about it that really excite me, such as Two70 and the skydiving simulator. Then there are other things that really make me doubt the concept or think it may end up being a failed design, such as the lack of a Viking Crown Lounge and doing away with a traditional main dining room in favor of the new Dynamic Dining concept. My wife and I will probably try to take a cruise on Anthem or Ovation at some point and hopefully it'll allay our fears.

We'll get to try Dynamic Dining firsthand next year on Oasis and I dislike the notion. One thing we've loved about cruising with traditional main dining rooms is getting to sit with the same people over the course of the cruise and getting to know them and we've made some dear friends and had some interesting conversations that way. now it really seem like you just won't get that chance which is a shame.

Revelation

Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:55 pm

Quoting Dano1977 (Reply 50):

Words no men ever want to hear! 
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own