Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Grisee08
Topic Author

Smith & Wesson MP-9 Shield?

Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:45 am

Does anyone own a Smith & Wesson MP-9 Shield 9mm Handgun? Or a Smith & Wesson handgun in general? What are your likes and dislikes? Are they good handguns? I would like something to keep in the house in case some jagoff decides he wants to break in and threaten my life, or my possessions. Please don't get political in this post. I am asking a legitimate question, and I know some of you may not approve of guns, but for those of you who do, I am asking for your opinions on whether you would own a Smith & Wesson, or would you go for Glock?

This is what I am considering.
http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...-Handgun&i=614497&r=view&from=grid
Alright Alright Alright!

fr8mech

RE: Smith & Wesson MP-9 Shield?

Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:07 am

I have a S&W M&P Shield in .40 and an S&W M&P Full Size in .40.

They are basically the same size as the 9mm.

I carry the Shield just about everywhere I go and the full size sits in a wall safe.

Both have well over 5000 rounds through them with no problems on the full size. The Shield has had some feed issues with all 3 magazines, but I suspect that issue has more to do with the lower cost ammo I use at the range than the firearm itself. In any case, I'd say the mis-feed rate was somewhere around 1 in 200.

As for Glock...I owned a Glock 23...that's the .40 mid-size. Glock always felt a little less solid than the XD or the MP's. The S&W's feel more solid than the Glocks. Note: that is just the feeling, I never had any real issue with the Glock or XD except for a couple of stove-pipes every now and again.

FYI, the Shield is the off-duty choice for 2 of my officer friends. Both carry in .40.

Personally, having owned, fired and carried the Shield, the XD sub-compact and the Glock 23, I'd go for the Shield, the XD and lastly, the Glock.

I can go into my reasons if you want me to.

[Edited 2014-11-06 22:34:40]
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

johns624

Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:52 pm

The Shield is a smaller gun, optimized for daily carry. If you just want a gun for around the house, buy a full size gun. It'll have less recoil, hold more rounds and be easier to shoot accurately. Any of the full size guns--Springfield XD, S&W M&P, Glock or Ruger SR would work. Pick the one that has the features that you want and fits your hand the best. I'd stick with a 9mm. Practice ammo is cheaper than other calibers and if you use a good hollowpoint and put it where it belongs, the felon won't know the difference between it or a 45. Just keep the gun clean and lubed, keep your wrist locked and reliability should be 99.9+% with any of them.

Grisee08
Topic Author

Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:41 pm

Thanks for the info.. Appreciate it. Looks like I may do some more shopping, because I had it narrowed it down to 2 options, but it looks like I need to look at a few more.
Alright Alright Alright!

fr8mech

Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:14 pm

Quoting Grisee08 (Reply 3):
Thanks for the info.. Appreciate it. Looks like I may do some more shopping, because I had it narrowed it down to 2 options, but it looks like I need to look at a few more.

There's a myriad of options out there.

If you plan on just keeping the firearm in the house, then I agree with johns624, look for a full size handgun. I would absolutely stick with the bigger manufacturers (S&W, Ruger, Springfield, Glock, etc.) What caliber you choose is largely dependent on personal choice, 9mm or .40 is where I would stay. .45 is a heavy round with all kinds of recoil.

I suspect you'll want a semi-auto, so that basically eliminates .357 magnum, &.38. Though revolvers do have a couple of advantages.

Go to a gun store and pick up the guns and feel them. Put them in your hand.

Go to a range that rents firearms. If the rent them, they will have Glock and S&W. They'll probably have a Springfield. They may have a Sig, who also makes a good gun, but can be pricey.

Again, there are some many variables, just ask and folks will help.

But, whatever you decide on, spend some time at the range. Get comfortable and competent.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray

KaiGywer

Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:32 am

At work I carry a full size M&P 40, and off duty I carry the M&P Shield 40. I agree with the above that if you don't plan on carrying it with you when you leave the house, then get a fullsize frame. Due to the larger size, they are more comfortable to shoot, and you will most likely be more accurate with it.

That being said, as mentioned earlier in the thread, many of the larger shooting ranges rent out guns. Go to one, try out a few and see which gun you like te best. What fits my hand may or may not fit your hand, thus making it a "bad" choice for you even if it is an excellent choice for me.

And as a side note...if the gun is strictly for home defense, there is definitely something to be said about a shotgun.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

fr8mech

Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:42 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 5):
there is definitely something to be said about a shotgun.

Agreed. A Remington 870 with a 16" & 18" barrel works fairly well in closed quarters and to use the cliche, the sound of a shell being racked into the chamber, can be a fairly powerful deterrant. Though, why someone would store a home defense shotgun without a chambered shell is beyond me.

There are almost as many modification options available for a tactical shotgun as there are for the AR platform. Though, I would keep it simple for a new shooter.

[Edited 2014-11-07 17:47:51]

FlightShadow

Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:07 am

Glock vs. S&W is a lot like Canon vs. Nikon or yoke vs. stick--everyone has their preferences but at the end of the day both are reliable and will get the job done.

Check out the Glock 27 while you're researching. It's a bit too compact for my genetics but when we get my wife a handgun, that's probably what we'll go with. Asking around at local gun stores can also be beneficial--some occasionally host weekend shooting events where you can pay a fee and then get to try several different handgun models and calibers.

I have lots of officer friends who are loyal to Glock for off-duty (the firearms guru at a department I used to work for carries a Glock 27 as his back-up/off-duty gun), but also plenty who lean towards Smith & Wesson. Personally I think overall the Smith & Wesson handguns I've used are a little bit more comfortable than the Glocks, but I started out with and did some specialized training on Glocks and so personally that's what I stick with. Not that S&W is bad, but I'd rather fly Cessna than Diamond. That sort of thing.

(The afformentioned firearms guru told me he once shot 2,000 rounds through one of his Glocks without cleaning it and never had a malfunction. I'm not sure if a S&W handgun could boast the same, perhaps it could--but there is something to be said for that kind of performance and reliability.)

And if you want to look gangsta you can always save a bunch of cash and go with a High Point 
(Kidding of course. Don't do that. No High Point.)

And as a side note...if the gun is strictly for home defense, there is definitely something to be said about a shotgun.

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 6):
A Remington 870 with a 16" & 18" barrel works fairly well in closed quarters and to use the cliche, the sound of a shell being racked into the chamber, can be a fairly powerful deterrant

There's a reason it's a cliche!

At work

Thanks for what you do. Your job is the most under-appreciated (and in my opinion, underpaid) of any professional position in the US. Stay safe out there.
"When the tide goes out, you can tell who was skinnydipping."

fr8mech

Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:30 am

Quoting FlightShadow (Reply 7):
Glock vs. S&W is a lot like Canon vs. Nikon or yoke vs. stick

Or, Boeing vs. Airbus, but I've never seen gun-owners get into gun fights over their choice of manufacturers.   

Quoting FlightShadow (Reply 7):
(The afformentioned firearms guru told me he once shot 2,000 rounds through one of his Glocks without cleaning it and never had a malfunction.

That is certainly one thing about the Glock, when you sqeeze the trigger, it will go "bang".

But, I've found that the Glock trigger doesn't "feel" as consistent as I know it is. It just feels like it breaks at different points in the pull. Both the MP's I own and the XD break and "feel" like the break atthe same exact point...every time.

I'm just not as comfortable with the Glock as I am with an MP or an XD.

Get thee to a range and try some guns out.

[Edited 2014-11-07 23:31:16]

[Edited 2014-11-07 23:37:29]