Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Airstud
Topic Author

Windshield Wiper Thread

Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:51 am

It might be time to replace my wiper blades, which have been in use since I picked up the car two years ago (and it was heavy, too. Ha!! ahem...)

I'm sure something the owner's manual says something like, "Make sure you use only genuine Toyota® windshield wiper blades..." or else the car will disintegrate. (The manual does say I have to "be sure" to use only genuine Toyota motor oil. Which threw me since I didn't know Toyota made motor oil. (Does Nissan? Does GM?    )

Though I am not cowed by Toyota's attempted brutality in this matter, I seem to recall discussions about wiper blades and how selecting the proper ones is a decision more fraught-with-peril than it probably ought to be.

So... anyone have anything super-compelling to say about buying new wiper blades for a 2012 Corolla LE?
Pancakes are delicious.

fr8mech

RE: Windshield Wiper Thread

Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:36 am

In the 28 years I've owned a vehicle I have used just about every manufacturer of wiper blades:

RainX
Duralast
Bosch
Trico
Off-Brand names

and have found that they all perform just about the same and last anywhere from 6 to 9 months. I am quite particular about being able to see out the windshield. As soon as the wiper starts to streak, and I can't clear it, I replace them as a pair.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

jetstar

Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:01 pm

I too change my blades every 9 months or so, and I use whatever blade is on sale, if not I go with the cheapest major brand. I have used the higher priced wiper blades like Bosch and found the higher priced wiper blades are not that much better then the lower priced wiper blades like RainX, but can cost twice as much.

Up to the last few years, you were able to buy just the rubber blade refills, then I used Bosch blades on my Volvos when it came time to change the wiper blades, now they make you buy the entire assembly at a higher price so I just downgraded to the cheaper major brands. I have looked around at the major auto supply stores and none of them sell just the refills anymore, more money to be made by forcing you to buy the whole assembly.

My major annoyance is the slapping sound the wiper blades make as they get older, I have found the lower profile blades make less of a slapping sound than the blades that have a higher profile.

Another trick is to keep the windshield clean using a good cleaner that removes the thin film that over a period of time accumulates on the windshield from pollution and oils that are on the highway and get sprayed up on the windshield when driving in the rain.

Every once in a while I clean my windshield first with road tar remover before washing the car with car soap, also it is a good idea to clean the edges of the blades as well, as they also pick a layer of film on them

JetStar

AeroWesty

Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:02 pm

Quoting Airstud (Thread starter):
So... anyone have anything super-compelling to say about buying new wiper blades for a 2012 Corolla LE?

Buy 'em somewhere with free installation if your car has the J-hook style of blade assembly attachment.
International Homo of Mystery

jetstar

Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:30 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 3):
Buy 'em somewhere with free installation if your car has the J-hook style of blade assembly attachment.

I agree, my Volvo XC-70 has the J-hook arm and sometimes it is a challenge to install the blade assembly correctly. If you are not mechanically talented, then I would let the sales people at the stores mount the blades

First figuring out which adapter to use and then getting in on in the right position so it locks on. Rarely, if I am feeling lazy I will let the sales persons at Advance Auto or Auto Zone mount them, but even then you have to make sure they mount it right, which sometimes they don’t. More than once they said it was on and when I pulled on the blade it came off the J-hook because they mounted the adapter backwards and it didn’t click in the locked position. If the blade assembly is not locked on, then it could come off in use and the J hook could scratch the windshield damaging it.

Lately I have been mounting them myself, at least I know it is on securely.

The Volvo service writers always try to convince me that their wiper blades are made specially for Volvos and are far superior than aftermarket blades, but at 3 times the price of an aftermarket blade there is no way I will pay that price.

JetStar

bohica

Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:32 pm

Super tech wiper blades. It's the Walmart house brand. $4.97 They work perfectly fine on my car. I bought mine ~ 8 months ago and they still work good with no streaks. I'm planning on replacing them in about a month and I will buy them again. If I buy anything else, I'm wasting my money.

StarAC17

Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:33 pm

I'm sure something the owner's manual says something like, "Make sure you use only genuine Toyota® windshield wiper blades..." or else the car will disintegrate. (The manual does say I have to "be sure" to use only genuine Toyota motor oil. Which threw me since I didn't know Toyota made motor oil. (Does Nissan? Does GM? )

I think most dealers have a blend of oil that they will use if you get an oil change at the dealership but it is likely bulk oil regardless of what they say.

As long as you are using the proper viscosity the car will be fine and may ofren run better if you buy sythetic or a high mileage blend. I wouldn't reccomend using 10w-40 if your car speicifies 5w-20.

Though I am not cowed by Toyota's attempted brutality in this matter, I seem to recall discussions about wiper blades and how selecting the proper ones is a decision more fraught-with-peril than it probably ought to be.

You will want to buy ones that are at least similar to the ones that Toyota install on that vehicle (ie the same length). I find with any auto parts store they have a catalog which says what blades are suggested for that car year and model. I would look that up and determine what blades you like the best.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 3):

Good point, installing them can be a pain in the butt.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

AeroWesty

Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:51 pm

Quoting bohica (Reply 5):
Super tech wiper blades. It's the Walmart house brand. $4.97

That's what I bought, too. They work perfectly fine, and after a frustrating attempt to install them myself (including watching three YouTube videos telling me how easy it was), I only learned that Walmart installs them for free when I took them back for a refund. It turned out that there are two J-hook lengths, and one of the packages was missing the size I needed (of course the one I opened first).

The Lube/Oil dept. has a drawerful of both hook sizes, and they simply had some kid go grab the correct hook, and voila, we were cookin' with gas within minutes.

My theory—buying cheap blades is more effective, since you'll feel there are fewer sunk costs in them, so you'll replace them more often, and as needed. With more expensive blades, you'll want to "get your money's worth" out of them, when all brands are basically just strips of rubber on a flimsy metal arm.

Quoting jetstar (Reply 2):
Every once in a while I clean my windshield first with road tar remover before washing the car with car soap, also it is a good idea to clean the edges of the blades as well, as they also pick a layer of film on them

Interesting advice. I should try that. I have noticed a very slight bit of a haze on my windshield that doesn't come clean with Windex, and wondered what it might be.

larshjort

Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:07 pm

When Bosch Aerotwin came out I only used those, they worked much better at higher speeds. But now they have changed the design so the top part is symmetrical and it doesn't Work as well.
Original
http://shop.mamasan.fi/static/media/images/ab/original/ab1358ef5931a5f839e29f308f60bb70.jpg
Current

Now I just use the cheapest I can find.
139, 306, 319, 320, 321, 332, 34A, AN2, AT4, AT5, AT7, 733, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 146, AR1, BH2, CN1, CR2, DH1, DH3, DH4,

Okie

Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:47 pm

It used to baffle me why the factory blades that came on a vehicle would last as much as 2-3yrs (mileage dependent of course)
I know the manufactures use the cheapest blade possible.
Then replacement blades would last about 1 year.

The windscreen gets thousands of small chips from sand, dirt and rocks from driving which wears the wiping edge of the blade.

The more miles and harsher driving conditions, especially where they salt/sand roads, just makes the windscreen wear the blade faster.

I just go with the cheapest "known" brand at replacement. Once you get to the time to replace the original blades you are pretty much into the once a year cycle at that point no matter the type/cost of blade.

Okie

JAGflyer

Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:04 pm

The biggest thing with me and wiper blades is the winter. If you drive in an area where there is snow/ice, make sure you have wipers with non-exposed metal framework. This prevents the framework from getting jammed with ice and causing parts of the blade to not hug the windshield. On the 2012 Corolla, I believe the OEM ones are already the frameless kind, in which case I'd just go to the dealer and buy the the refills ($5 a side tops). If you have the exposed metal variety, go and get yourself a set of hybrid style blades (which do not have exposed metal). I personally like the Michelin branded ones from Costco. They're cheap and are great for winter/year around. Personally, I use the OEM metal style ones in the spring/summer/fall then put the Michelins on for winter. Once they don't work well, I replace the rubber (OEM) or buy a new Michelin blade at Costco.

Frameless style: http://www.reton.com.au/Wiper-Related/Frameless-Wipers/Wiper2.aspx
Metal frame style: http://www.hondapartworld.com/honda-...-content/uploads/2012/01/wiper.jpg

[Edited 2014-11-27 15:05:28]

[Edited 2014-11-27 15:06:21]
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

sccutler

Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:45 am

I really like the new frameless blades available from Anco.

Best thing you can do is clean the windshield, and apply a good Rain-X treatment, on a regular basis. Wipers are needed less (you'll be amazed at how well the water rolls off of the windshield), and blades last a lot longer and work better in the process.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

Francoflier

Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:24 am

I'd avoid the absolute cheapest, basement bargain no-brands, as these tend to be absolute turds much better at making teeth shattering noise than displacing any water. But anything else is fine, including most store brands.

Wipers aren't something you'd want to spend a fortune on...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

mad99

Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:15 am

Quoting francoflier (Reply 12):
Wipers aren't something you'd want to spend a fortune on...

i replaced mine last year and for a bmw it was about 50 euro for the set!

They sell the complete assy and not just the rubber blades.

Francoflier

Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:56 am

Quoting mad99 (Reply 13):
i replaced mine last year and for a bmw it was about 50 euro for the set!

Let me rephrase that:

Wipers aren't something you'd want to spend a fortune on if you don't have to...

That's not to say that manufacturers will try to make non-standard and non-compatible systems to force to buy their overpriced replacement parts. Unfortunately.

I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Kiwirob

Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:25 am

The Bosch aerotwin are idential to the OEM ones on my previous countryman, current Audi A1 and wifes Touran. I also think they are the same as the ones my Volbo V70 had.

Cactus739

Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:31 pm

I've always been a big fan of Rain-X blades. The ones that contour to the windshield with no pressure points do great. But the past couple I've bought have been crap. One of the connectors broke, then the blade I replaced it with started to streak within a few weeks. I'll probably try Bosch or Michelin next.
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

jetstar

Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:27 pm

Lately on my Volvo XC-70 I have been using the Rain-X weatherbeaters, they are the old style with the pressure points, comparing them with the Bosch conforming blades I tried in the past I really do not find much of a difference and the price of the Rain-X is about half the price of the Bosch’s.

On my wife’s Volvo S-80, they do not use either the J hook or pin arm mounting, so I have been buying the blades for this car from Volvo, and of course paying a lot more than I think I should be paying.

Both our cars sit outside and are exposed to the weather, and I am sure this has some effect on the life of the blades.

Living in Southwestern Connecticut, we do not get much rain in the summer months, more or less quick passing thunderstorms, but not the 2 or 3 days of steady rain we get in the fall or spring, so I usually will replace the blades on both cars in the early fall, and after exposure to the sun during the summer months they are usually ready for replacing.

JetStar

JAGflyer

Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:16 am

Quoting francoflier (Reply 14):
That's not to say that manufacturers will try to make non-standard and non-compatible systems to force to buy their overpriced replacement parts. Unfortunately.
Quoting jetstar (Reply 17):
On my wife’s Volvo S-80, they do not use either the J hook or pin arm mounting, so I have been buying the blades for this car from Volvo, and of course paying a lot more than I think I should be paying.

I know for a fact that the Michelin ones from Costco (which are made by Pylon I think) come with about 4 different adapters which should be good for nearly all cars.
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

rwessel

Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:07 am

(The manual does say I have to "be sure" to use only genuine Toyota motor oil. Which threw me since I didn't know Toyota made motor oil. (Does Nissan? Does GM?    )

Any Nissan dealer, at least, will sell you a can* of motor oil that says "Nissan" on the label.

Almost certainly it's not actually manufactured *by* Nissan, rather they spec it out to a subcontractor in the motor oil industry.

*Yeah, yeah, it's not actually a can anymore...

Airstud
Topic Author

Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:46 am

What sort of price should I be expecting to pay for decent bladeage?

I have a coupon for $10 off a $20 purchase at my local NAPA store, but it expires 11/30.
Pancakes are delicious.

jetwet1

Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:55 pm

I just ordered a set of invisible glass wiper blades, I love their glass cleaner and living out here in Vegas blades take a beating from the sun, so when it does actually rain 9 times out of 10 the blades are baked, being a silicon based blade it should hold up better.

AeroWesty

Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:04 pm

Quoting Airstud (Reply 20):
I have a coupon for $10 off a $20 purchase at my local NAPA store, but it expires 11/30.

I'd get the Bosch Micro Edge. 26" Driver's side is $15.49, 16" Passenger's side is $7.29 at NAPA (priced online). After the coupon you'd be out $12.78 plus tax.

Airstud
Topic Author

Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:31 am

Just picked up a coupla RainX ones at Menard's in Eden Prairie. There was conflicting info on yon Web about whether the 2012 Corolla LE has a 9x3 or 9x4 J-hook but luckily the entire web agrees (yes I canvassed EVERY website in existence) that it's 16" pax side and 26" driver's.

Just now I got the pax one installed (had to use the 9x4 adapter, see) and I feel excellent about it, for it clicked into place. Followed the same procedure on the driver's side and there was no click. I slid the thing up under the J-hook as far as it could possibly go, but... no click. I mean like, nix on the clickage, is what I am talking about over here basically.

I don't know whether to make a thing out of it. I switched them on for a few minutes and they seemed ok; the driver's one was a little sputtery but you'd expect that of new rubber on smooth glass anyway.

Pancakes are delicious.

Okie

Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:02 pm

(The manual does say I have to "be sure" to use only genuine Toyota motor oil. Which threw me since I didn't know Toyota made motor oil. (Does Nissan? Does GM

The auto manufacturer's started developing their own specifications on oil instead of using standard API specs.
That is why the auto manufacturer's indicate you should use their "brand" of oil to maintain warranty even though other brands could meet the specification.

GM uses the Dexos1 for gasoline engines, the oil marketing companies have to pay a license fee and a percentage to GM to market oil that meets their specs to maintain warranty.

Okie

desertjets

Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:26 pm

I think most cars made within the last 20 years use the J hook style attachment. I did blades on both cars (5 total) and took me less than 10 minutes including refilling the washer fluid and checking under the hood on both cars. Just head to your local auto parts store and they'll have a good 20+ foot selection of wiper blades. Just check the catalog for the sizes that your Corolla needs and you are good to go. (My Mazda takes a 20" and a 19" and my partner's Nissan takes a 26" and a 13"! plus a 14D on the rear glass)

Personally I have been using Bosch Micro Edge Excels which are slightly below mid-priced at the auto parts store. While the frameless ones look nicer I am not sure if they perform any better.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

northstardc4m

Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:44 pm

Personally i swear by Rain-X wipers... and treatment... and washer fluid... works wonderfully. Windshield treatment twice a year, new blades every fall. Haven't had a problem in years with streaking.

I just ignore the owners manual when it says things like use only X manufacturer part... they tend to be hyperbole... especially for wipers, fluids and tires... there's no advantage to the brands the manufacturer uses.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

fr8mech

Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:06 pm

Just replaced the blades on my car with some RainX Latitudes. Replaced some Goodyear junk that only lasted a few months. Got the Goodyears at Costco. Oh well, you get what you pay for.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Airstud
Topic Author

Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:02 pm

Yep, I'm happy with my Rain-X® ones (not that I've had them on for 36 hours yet...) $8.19 each; plus I bought a fire extinguisher for my kitchen and a battery charger, bringing my total to just over $50 so my coupon kicked in  

Also, I fiddled with the clickless driver's-side J-hook yesterday morning and discovered if I pressed it super-hard, it slid into a more-secure-feeling-seated-type position, if without clicking. I have more confidence now that it's on secure-like.

(still just a liiiiiitle bit plagued by the thought of having to replace the windshield...    )
Pancakes are delicious.

garpd

Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:35 pm

Wow, people find J hooks a challenge? They are the simplest of the simplest ways to attach your wipers to their arms.

I swear by Bosch wiper blade. They last longer and don't smear even in dirty conditions.
Also, coat your wind shield is multiple layers of Rain-X. This stuff seriously works. If applied properly, the slightest bit of rain shoots off your screen without leaving a trace. You'll find you won't need to use your wipers over 30MPH in even the heaviest rain. And that helps increase the life of your blades too.
arpdesign.wordpress.com

Molykote

Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:33 pm

(The manual does say I have to "be sure" to use only genuine Toyota motor oil. Which threw me since I didn't know Toyota made motor oil. (Does Nissan? Does GM?    )

One of the big companies makes oil with the car OEM's name on it (Castrol in the case of BMW). I don't know which company(ies) make oil under the Toyota brand name.

I seem to recall discussions about wiper blades and how selecting the proper ones is a decision more fraught-with-peril than it probably ought to be.

There's no need to spend much money on wiper blades, but here's the advice I have:

You may need to experiment with different models to see which product works best with your car. Some blades will miss spots or apply uneven pressure depending on the windshield contour. Oddly (and in contrast to their marketing claims), I have found that the "beam" type (Bosch Icon) blades seem to be the worst offenders here.

I do use Bosch Icon blades in the winter on most of my vehicles. This is primarily due to the fact that it's very easy to break off any ice that forms on the blades (and the sealed beam construction eliminates the concern about ice accumulating in the pin/joint areas of a conventional blade).

For non-winter use I generally just get the OEM blade refills for my cars from the dealer (you slide the rubber element and a metal "spine" out of the blade and slide a replacement back in). For my BMW I think it was ~$10 for a set of replacement inserts. For my Honda I think they were ~$15. Arguably this isn't a great deal (especially when you look at the strips of rubber and metal that you're getting for your money). However, these seemed to offer the best functionality (in non-Winter conditions) for the money. I'd imagine you could buy the same for your Toyota, but I'm not sure of how the wiper blades are designed.
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

IMissPiedmont

Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:59 am

I replace mind every time it rains. About every 6 months or so.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

LFutia

Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:47 am

RainX washer fluid and the RainX Latitude wipers

Leo/ORD
Leo/ORD

WildcatYXU

Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:48 am

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 6):
I wouldn't reccomend using 10w-40 if your car speicifies 5w-20.

Why not? For the summer or in warmer climates without any problems and if you'd want to run your car hard in hot weather it would actually be a good idea. But it would mean slightly worse fuel efficiency.

Quoting rwessel (Reply 19):
Any Nissan dealer, at least, will sell you a can* of motor oil that says "Nissan" on the label.

Almost certainly it's not actually manufactured *by* Nissan, rather they spec it out to a subcontractor in the motor oil industry.

Mine only offers ester oils in Nissan branded packages. The regular stuff comes in barrels and if you want synthetic, it comes from a jug saying Mobil 1.

Quoting northstardc4m (Reply 26):
Personally i swear by Rain-X wipers... and treatment... and washer fluid... works wonderfully.

I don't know - I love the windshield treatment and the washer fluid, but the wipers somehow did not work for me. I just use Michelin blades from Costco.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40