Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

fxramper
Topic Author

New Star Wars Trailer Released: Amazing.

Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:36 pm

Based on the brief vision of Disney and J.J. Abrams and being a child of the 80's I fully approve and look forward to seeing the new trilogy.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2488496/?ref_=hm_hp_cap_pri_1

ER757

RE: New Star Wars Trailer Released: Amazing.

Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:53 pm

I like the new light saber with the two little side lasers like the guards on a broadsword.
Can't tell much of anything about the story from the clip, but I guess that's the idea behind a teaser.

cjg225

Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:51 pm

I am withholding judgment. As a huge Star Wars fan (both of the movies and the EU), I am uneasy after seeing this trailer. It has some pieces that look good an some that look bad. I can't go either way yet.

It's going to be a really long year waiting for this.

[Edited 2014-11-28 14:52:19]
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

fxramper
Topic Author

Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:51 pm

Quoting ER757 (Reply 1):
I like the new light saber with the two little side lasers like the guards on a broadsword.

What i've read online that is a J.J. Abrams special, blessed by Lord Lucas.   

EA CO AS

Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:55 pm

Quoting cjg225 (Reply 2):
I am uneasy after seeing this trailer. It has some pieces that look good an some that look bad. I can't go either way yet.

Same here. There are some promising aspects, and some areas that definitely have me wary.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

fxramper
Topic Author

Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:07 pm

Quoting cjg225 (Reply 2):
I am withholding judgment. As a huge Star Wars fan (both of the movies and the EU), I am uneasy after seeing this trailer. It has some pieces that look good an some that look bad. I can't go either way yet.

It's an extended sneak peak. We saw like 3 scenes with limited shots. The first film is J.J. Abrams directed. I embrasse the new direction and am glad Disney stepped up and purchased the rotting Star Wars franchise.

Rara

Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:59 pm

I'm not huge on Star Wars so I'm leaning back here, but if I were you guys I wouldn't worry. I'm pretty sure it'll be good. "Messing stuff up" was a 90s / 2000s thing. Somehow they've got it figured out these days.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

cjg225

Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:30 am

Quoting fxramper (Reply 5):
It's an extended sneak peak. We saw like 3 scenes with limited shots. The first film is J.J. Abrams directed. I embrasse the new direction and am glad Disney stepped up and purchased the rotting Star Wars franchise.

It had a lot of lens flares.

That lets me know J.J. Abrams is still J.J. Abrams.

fxramper
Topic Author

Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:40 am

Quoting cjg225 (Reply 7):

As I stated, I'm not a huge fan. It's his style. Disney said 1 and done. All other films and spin offs will be directed by other people.

The trailer is still way better than anything we got from the last 3 films. Lucas was reaching hard on that trilogy. Glad Disney paid him and rebooted to continue the legacy.

vikkyvik

Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:11 am

When I first saw the trailer a few hours ago, I completely honestly thought it was a spoof trailer.

I was laughing, I thought it was hilarious.

I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

ouboy79

Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:09 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 9):
When I first saw the trailer a few hours ago, I completely honestly thought it was a spoof trailer.

I was laughing, I thought it was hilarious.

What an odd reaction. Like others, it has some good and concerning parts. I'm hopeful it remains true to the roots and the appearance seems to be aimed that way.

EA CO AS

Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:17 am

Which is why my initial thought was, "Oh God, he 'Transformerized' Star Wars!"

(That's not a good thing)
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

KarelXWB

Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:49 am

Looking good so far. The Millennium Falcon maneuver was pretty awesome.

http://oi57.tinypic.com/2555kqh.jpg
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

AirPacific747

Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:06 pm

Hmm I don't like it but that's not because of the trailer but the whole idea of reusing designs that looked futuristic in the 70s in a modern film.

Aaron747

Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:50 pm

Ambivalent, but ever hopeful. Abrams didn't completely ruin Star Trek...somehow, but still can' t really say I'm a fan of his.

Somebody give John Williams a lifetime achievement award already - cannot wait to hear the Star Wars theme through the title crawl on the big screen again.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

vikkyvik

Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:55 pm

Quoting ouboy79 (Reply 10):

What an odd reaction. Like others, it has some good and concerning parts. I'm hopeful it remains true to the roots and the appearance seems to be aimed that way.

I dunno. The trailer basically says nothing about the movie. It's just a collection of totally random and slightly odd scenes. I mean, a soccer ball droid rolling along for 5 seconds? What does that tell me, aside from make me laugh?
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Boeing717200

Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:39 pm

Lucas used plenty of lense flare in the flying scenes.

I'm good with Abrams. He can draw up a story in the way Lucas and Spielberg could in their hay day. He did a good job of ticking off a certain disturbing segment of the Star Trek fanbase that has an irrational view of Trek world (it's scifi people, not a religion and not a real world) in favor of two great flicks at this point. I'm good with him doing the same to a certain segment of the Star Wars fanbase that beleives they hold the keys to the Star Wars universe. One only has to visit a few threads on this teaser to see the anger by some already. It's freakin' hilarious to see the meltdowns over Tie Fighters flying around in atmosphere and a new sort of light saber being used.

[Edited 2014-11-29 08:43:28]
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

Rara

Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:43 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 13):
the whole idea of reusing designs that looked futuristic in the 70s in a modern film.

Didn't the designs have a worn / used / retro aspect even back then?
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

stlgph

Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:26 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 15):
What does that tell me, aside from make me laugh?

that we have another Jar Jar Binks character to laugh at  

i'm with you. i saw the trailer and went *meh*

and yet everyone else was rather excited about it and i'm scratching my head. the JC Penney Black Friday ad was more exciting.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

AeroWesty

Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:46 pm

I just hope we don't get inundated with sneak peeks. Standing in line for hours in the cold and fog outside of the Coronet Theater on Geary, to finally get to sit down and watch the first Star Wars flick evolve, still sticks with me.

When the starship came out of nowhere to fill that huge screen in the opening scene ... shivers.

http://youtu.be/z33-qOXOWS4
International Homo of Mystery

cjg225

Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:28 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 14):
Somebody give John Williams a lifetime achievement award already - cannot wait to hear the Star Wars theme through the title crawl on the big screen again.

As small as it may seem, I am really disappointed that we won't hear the 20th Century Fox fanfare before Star Wars ever again. That bit of music has become synonymous with Star Wars to me. Every Fox movie I watch makes me think of Star Wars.

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 16):
Lucas used plenty of lense flare in the flying scenes.

I'm good with Abrams. He can draw up a story in the way Lucas and Spielberg could in their hay day. He did a good job of ticking off a certain disturbing segment of the Star Trek fanbase that has an irrational view of Trek world (it's scifi people, not a religion and not a real world) in favor of two great flicks at this point. I'm good with him doing the same to a certain segment of the Star Wars fanbase that beleives they hold the keys to the Star Wars universe. One only has to visit a few threads on this teaser to see the anger by some already. It's freakin' hilarious to see the meltdowns over Tie Fighters flying around in atmosphere and a new sort of light saber being used.

He did, you're right.

I am one of those people to whom you're potentially referring. I am a huge EU fan and am very disappointed that the EU has been entirely wiped away... sort of. The EU has been a field from which Lucas and the creators of TCW/Rebels have picked consistently, but consistently poorly. They take great ideas and somehow ruin those great EU ideas fairly regularly, though now always.

Wiping away the EU is probably a good idea objectively, but it still hurts to see so many great works effectively denied by that one decision.

Boeing717200

Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:20 pm

Quoting cjg225 (Reply 20):

The moral of the story is "beware of false prophets" (people who make things up and declare them to be fact) even if it does not exist in a made up world. Especially when the guy that invented the universe in the first place regularly thumbs his nose at said ideas...  

[Edited 2014-11-29 12:22:19]

jetwet1

Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:44 am

Quoting fxramper (Reply 5):

I hate everything Disney has become, but yeah, for this they get a tiny break from me.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 11):

For me, it looks like Edge of Darkness, just with Star Wars characters.....I am not saying that is a bad thing, but having two of the biggest Sci Fi franchises look the same may not be the best thing in the world, however, it's a very small trailer, let's see how it comes together.

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 14):

Very true, the first 5 seconds tells all the world over 40 that a Star Wars movie is on.

Quoting stlgph (Reply 18):
that we have another Jar Jar Binks character to laugh at

You, yes you, go sit in a corner, face the wall, think about what you just said, and when you are ready to say sorry to the whole forum you can come back :-P

PlanesNTrains

Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:58 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 11):

It made me think of the new Star Trek flicks.

Hmm I don't like it but that's not because of the trailer but the whole idea of reusing designs that looked futuristic in the 70s in a modern film.

It's hard. You can't make it too "current" without disconnecting from the old movies. I struggled with I, II, and III because they looked more advanced than the originals, even though they technically came beforehand.

I mean, a soccer ball droid rolling along for 5 seconds? What does that tell me, aside from make me laugh?

It was pretty cool. Maybe they just wanted us to know that they are working on some different things? Sort of a duh moment, I guess, but at least it was something.  
Quoting Rara (Reply 17):
Didn't the designs have a worn / used / retro aspect even back then?

Pretty low budget IIRC. Or at least, struggled to come together successfully. And we're stuck with many of the designs to this day.

Quoting stlgph (Reply 18):
the JC Penney Black Friday ad was more exciting.

I think many people think that JC Penney even being in business still on Black Friday was exciting.  
I am a huge EU fan

What is "EU"?

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

Klaus

Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:31 am

Not too bad so far, but it's still just a teaser. Not even a trailer.

I'm good with Abrams. He can draw up a story in the way Lucas and Spielberg could in their hay day. He did a good job of ticking off a certain disturbing segment of the Star Trek fanbase that has an irrational view of Trek world

Lucas had managed to drag down Star Wars all by himself already – the best one was the one he was least involved in.

(it's scifi people, not a religion and not a real world)

You've actually managed to be wrong on all three counts:

a) It's not science fiction. It's fantasy with only some superficial elements borrowed from sci-fi.

b and c) It actually is a religion – in the real world!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jediism

Tells a lot about the human capacity of turning fiction into religion – not that that was any news!   

Nope. I've watched the first one back when it came out in the late 1970s, and even back then everything in it looked used and in many cases even worn out, just like much of the real world. There was very little visually "futuristic" in it, and that was the whole point!

Even with all the criticism of the prequels it can sort of make sense that those have a "newer" appearance while the original trilogy basically takes place in a universe that has experienced decades of military rule and civilian decay and neglect by then.

And the upcoming sequels appear to continue on that path.

ouboy79

Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:47 am

I dunno. The trailer basically says nothing about the movie. It's just a collection of totally random and slightly odd scenes. I mean, a soccer ball droid rolling along for 5 seconds? What does that tell me, aside from make me laugh?

It is a teaser...what more did you want it to say? We'll have to wait for next summer for the full trailer I would imagine.

vikkyvik

Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:50 am

Quoting ouboy79 (Reply 25):
It is a teaser...what more did you want it to say? We'll have to wait for next summer for the full trailer I would imagine.

I don't know, to be honest. I see absolutely no point to the teaser, though. I'd prefer if they hadn't released anything, or at least waited until they had a real trailer. Like I said, this just made me laugh, and not get into the Star Wars spirit at all.

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 23):
It was pretty cool. Maybe they just wanted us to know that they are working on some different things? Sort of a duh moment, I guess, but at least it was something

The Prequels were just a collection of "different things" loosely tied together by strained plot and terrible dialog.

afterburner

Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:35 am

What is "EU"?

Expanded Universe.

EA CO AS

Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:34 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 11):Which is why my initial thought was, "Oh God, he 'Transformerized' Star Wars!"
It made me think of the new Star Trek flicks.

And when I see those, I see "Transformers" influences in them often.

PlanesNTrains

Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:42 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 26):
The Prequels were just a collection of "different things" loosely tied together by strained plot and terrible dialog.

I'll give you that. What were they thinking with Hayden Christensen? I would have preferred the main character in the Blah Airlines expose'.  
Quoting afterburner (Reply 27):
Expanded Universe.

I'm not the brightest bulb, so unfortunately my next question is "...and what's that?".

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

Boeing717200

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:15 pm

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 29):

EU. A place where some fringe fans have created and entire universe and religion based on the Star Wars films. It's equivalent to a similar group that is based on Star Trek. Typically refered to as Trekkies. Both groups have fringe fans or fanatics. Both groups are known to have extreme reactions to either film series that does not follow the lines of the alternate universe they have created.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 24):

It's not a religion Klaus. It's a group of fringe fans of a movie.  

Tugger

Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:22 pm

But they were never supposed to be "futuristic", remember the whole story occurred "a long long time ago, in a galaxy far far away"! It was otherworldly, it was fantastic, it was different and new to us all. But it was old for itself.

That's what it is supposed to do, make you laugh because that was one of the magic things about Star Wars, it also made people laugh. that is really important to let people know (as long as they don't try to go as far as introducing a blubbering clown).

You mean like the fanaticism here on A.net? I mean you KNOW Boeing and a control yolk with feedback is better and safer than other options..... And the fact is that Airbus has taken the crown for the best and biggest aircraft flying today...    And... well Delta Airlines (yes I know what I did there), what else is there to say about the greatest airline flying today.....   

And yes I agree, gotta love those that dictate what reality MUST BE in a fantasy world.

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 30):

Well, we'll have wait a thousand years or so probably to know for sure. I mean look at what happened when a traveling showman and philosophizer traveled around the middle east two thousand years ago....   

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

AirPacific747

Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:37 pm

Futuristic looks or not - my point is still that you can se the vehicles and spaceships weren't designed during this decade and Star Wars fans will probably love exactly that due to nostalgia but I'm not interested.

PlanesNTrains

Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:20 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 31):
I mean look at what happened when a traveling showman and philosophizer traveled around the middle east two thousand years ago....   

You won't have to wait nearly 1000 years to see if that's true. It could be any time.

-Dave
-Dave

vikkyvik

Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:49 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 31):
That's what it is supposed to do, make you laugh because that was one of the magic things about Star Wars, it also made people laugh. that is really important to let people know (as long as they don't try to go as far as introducing a blubbering clown).

Yes, Star Wars certainly made people laugh in a good way. Not in a "wow, this seems like a spoof" way. We have Spaceballs and the Prequels for that.

Ultimately, I simply wish I hadn't watched the teaser. Too late.

For what it's worth, I am somewhat nervous about Abrams helming the movie. I really didn't particularly like his first Star Trek (never saw the 2nd one). And Lost was god-awful after the 3rd season.  

PlanesNTrains

Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 34):
I really didn't particularly like his first Star Trek

I enjoyed much of the first Star Trek but I'm not sure if it's the right "feel" for Star Wars.

-Dave
-Dave

Klaus

Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:16 am

From a neutral outside view the other religions aren't any less weird or sectarian either. Some of them are just larger, and they're all equally based on fiction.

PlanesNTrains

Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:37 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 36):
From a neutral outside view the other religions aren't any less weird or sectarian either. Some of them are just larger, and they're all equally based on fiction.

Way to take a light conversation and turn it into an insult to a good chunk of the forum members of faith. But hey, as long as it makes you feel warm and fuzzy.....  

-Dave
-Dave

afterburner

Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:31 am

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 29):
Quoting afterburner (Reply 27):
Expanded Universe.

I'm not the brightest bulb, so unfortunately my next question is "...and what's that?".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_expanded_universe

CXB77L

Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:14 pm

I'm probably one of those Star Trek fans that "had an irrational view of the Trek world" that you're referring to. I wasn't particularly fond of the first of his 'rebooted' Star Trek films, because it rewrote a lot of canon that has long since established in the original series back in the 1960s. While I admit that it was a good film, I wonder if it was good Star Trek.

As small as it may seem, I am really disappointed that we won't hear the 20th Century Fox fanfare before Star Wars ever again. That bit of music has become synonymous with Star Wars to me. Every Fox movie I watch makes me think of Star Wars.

Likewise.

I am one of those people to whom you're potentially referring. I am a huge EU fan and am very disappointed that the EU has been entirely wiped away... sort of. The EU has been a field from which Lucas and the creators of TCW/Rebels have picked consistently, but consistently poorly. They take great ideas and somehow ruin those great EU ideas fairly regularly, though now always.

I'm not as familiar with the Star Wars universe as I am with the Star Trek universe, but tell me: is EU considered to be 'canon'? I do know that Star Trek's equivalent is generally considered not to be canon, and I would actually prefer that films dispensed with what has been revealed in that universe in favour or what has been canonically established as a Star Trek "fact" (yes, I know I'm using that term loosely).

It's equivalent to a similar group that is based on Star Trek. Typically refered to as Trekkies. Both groups have fringe fans or fanatics. Both groups are known to have extreme reactions to either film series that does not follow the lines of the alternate universe they have created.

I think you'll find that Trekkies are more militant about canon than any alternate universe. At least, that has been my experience.

Having said all of that, I am looking forward to the new Star Wars film. I am not as much of a fan of the Star Wars universe as I am of Star Trek (hell, I even like the prequel trilogy, which sort of disqualifies me as a Star Wars fan, apparently), but based on what I understand, there are meant to be nine parts to the Star Wars saga, not three, and not six. I felt that The Return of the Jedi left a lot of questions unanswered, such as what becomes of the Jedi given that Luke Skywalker is apparently the only surviving Jedi knight where once they numbered in the hundreds.
Boeing 777 fanboy

bmacleod

Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:56 pm

As Luke said talking to his foster parents in Episode IV - A New Hope "...but is a whole another year".

Yes that's how long we have to wait for the big event. 1 year 18 days to be exact....

Have other movie trailers/previews come out an entire year before release?

[Edited 2014-12-01 07:58:33]
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

vikkyvik

Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:50 pm

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 37):
Quoting Klaus (Reply 36):

Way to take a light conversation and turn it into an insult to a good chunk of the forum members of faith. But hey, as long as it makes you feel warm and fuzzy.....

There's nothing insulting in Klaus's post. From a neutral outside view, as he stipulated, it makes perfect sense.

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 39):
While I admit that it was a good film, I wonder if it was good Star Trek.

It's very difficult to go into the theater and not expect to see Star Trek - that is, a movie with the feel of the series to which you're accustomed. That certainly clouded my judgment of it. Although, really, it just seemed like any old action movie, but set in space. There was nothing special about it.

I have that same difficulty when watching the Christopher Nolan Batman movies - they feel different than the Tim Burton ones. Though Nolan did much better, and those movies are pretty good (albeit far too long).

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 35):
I enjoyed much of the first Star Trek but I'm not sure if it's the right "feel" for Star Wars.

It wasn't even the right "feel" for Star Trek!

cjg225

Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:58 pm

EU. A place where some fringe fans have created and entire universe and religion based on the Star Wars films. It's equivalent to a similar group that is based on Star Trek. Typically refered to as Trekkies. Both groups have fringe fans or fanatics. Both groups are known to have extreme reactions to either film series that does not follow the lines of the alternate universe they have created.

Huh....?

What is "EU"?

The EU or "Expanded Universe" is all Star Wars media outside of the movies and the Clone Wars/Rebels TV series. So, all the books, video games, short stories, etc. It is massive amount of material followed by a massive amount of people. Certainly, there are far more people who know just the movies than know of the EU, but to call it "some fringe fans" as Boeing717200 does above is pretty ridiculous.

It's never been an alternate universe. Lucas and LFL have just always reserved the right to change it whenever they want, but it absolutely has been part of the main Star Wars universe unlike the situation with Star Trek where everything that is not a movie or TV series is an alternate universe.

I'm not as familiar with the Star Wars universe as I am with the Star Trek universe, but tell me: is EU considered to be 'canon'? I do know that Star Trek's equivalent is generally considered not to be canon, and I would actually prefer that films dispensed with what has been revealed in that universe in favour or what has been canonically established as a Star Trek "fact" (yes, I know I'm using that term loosely).

It is canon, yes, but considered "lesser" cannon.

Material from the movies (and, recently, material from the TCW and Rebels TV shows) are considered "G" Canon (where "G" stands for George Lucas). Until recently, the TV shows were considered "T" canon, where T is Television. Below that was "C" Canon, or Continuity Canon, which was mostly the books, games, comics, etc. The next level, "S" canon, or Secondary Canon, is stuff that is really old and was made when very little Star Wars information existed (basically, the Marvel comics from back in the late 70s that had some really off-the-wall ideas, like Leia dying and being resurrected), and then there is "N" canon, or Non-canon, which are any parodies/spoofs/etc. Each level of canon is progressively less important, so G canon overrides anything below it that conflicts with it. T overrides anything from C that conflicts, etc.

It's not a perfect system, but it was a good attempt to try to make each work a valuable part of the whole Star Wars universe and what, to me, really sets Star Wars apart from Star Trek and other fictional universes. Over the last 37 years a lot of people have put a lot of effort into developing one of the most complete and immersive fictional worlds ever.

Klaus

Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:22 pm

I'm probably one of those Star Trek fans that "had an irrational view of the Trek world" that you're referring to. I wasn't particularly fond of the first of his 'rebooted' Star Trek films, because it rewrote a lot of canon that has long since established in the original series back in the 1960s. While I admit that it was a good film, I wonder if it was good Star Trek.

Progressing History has already obsoleted some of Trek's canon anyway – Roddenberry certainly didn't anticipate then-canon story elements to actually matter when the designated dates would come along in real life, but Trek has turned out to be unexpectedly persistent, so we can actually have this discussion now.   

For me personally the reboot took the "proper" approach by justifying its (inevitable) canon-bending via the age-old "parallel universe" mechanism, which is okay in my book. I can't fault it for that decision.

It would have been pointless for them to precisely mimic the original series – some variation had to be taken, and they've done that pretty well (although I still somewhat begrudge the offhanded way they got rid of Vulcan).

It's a pretty solid action-oriented Trek movie, even if the whole Federation idea gets very short shrift and the villain is pretty much a stock character and not very interesting (revenge as main motivation, again? really?).

But the most important thing they got right: The original Star Trek was always carried by the interactions between the characters, and those were done pretty well in the reboot. (The horrible sequel is another matter, though.)

If Abrams manages to extract the real essentials from the original Star Wars movies and if he creates the new one(s) in their spirit (particularly that part of the old ones which actually worked well) with the right dose of expansion and updates, the new movies may actually turn out right. The teaser at least preserves my hope for that, even if we can't really know for another year.

fxramper
Topic Author

Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:14 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 43):
If Abrams manages to extract the real essentials from the original Star Wars movies and if he creates the new one(s) in their spirit (particularly that part of the old ones which actually worked well) with the right dose of expansion and updates, the new movies may actually turn out right. The teaser at least preserves my hope for that, even if we can't really know for another year.

& just as I was looking to SD your posts you chime in and say exactly what I was thinking. He did the same think for Star Trek and I'm not a J.J. Abrams fan. I loath that show he created about an island or whatever. Never watched an episode.

Klaus

Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:34 am

Quoting fxramper (Reply 44):
& just as I was looking to SD your posts you chime in and say exactly what I was thinking.

Ah, but that's just the old Jedi mind trick...!   

He did the same think for Star Trek and I'm not a J.J. Abrams fan. I loath that show he created about an island or whatever. Never watched an episode.

Yeah, Lost lost my interest very quickly, about one-and-a-half episodes in...   

ER757

Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:54 pm

I loath that show he created about an island or whatever. Never watched an episode.

Dumb question - how could you loathe the show if you never watched an episode?

I watched it and it most certainly "lost" steam as the seasons went on. Got pretty silly in the later years and they never explained a lot of stuff in the final season either - they let a lot of the earlier symbolism and plot lines just fade away.

Aeroflot777

Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:27 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 19):
I just hope we don't get inundated with sneak peeks. Standing in line for hours in the cold and fog outside of the Coronet Theater on Geary, to finally get to sit down and watch the first Star Wars flick evolve, still sticks with me.

Yes! I live next to that late theater. Lining up for the Star Wars movies in 1999 and 2002 was definitely a memorable experience. Awesome sense of community, miss those times.

fxramper
Topic Author

Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:30 pm

Quoting ER757 (Reply 46):

This was a dumb question.

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 47):
Yes! I live next to that late theater. Lining up for the Star Wars movies in 1999 and 2002 was definitely a memorable experience. Awesome sense of community, miss those times.

i recall being taken out of class early with my twin and 2 of our buddies and going to see Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace and half the line had people dressed in costumes.

vikkyvik

Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:55 pm

Quoting fxramper (Reply 48):
Quoting ER757 (Reply 46):

This was a dumb question.

Why? I was going to ask the same thing, but without the "Dumb question" preface.

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 47):
Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 19):

Indeed. Too bad it was such a letdown.