Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AeroWesty
Topic Author

Are You A Sucker For A Deal?

Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:56 pm

Okay, so I was in WallyWorld and found this mini-backpack in basic black that would be perfect for storing misc. items in the trunk of the car. The price sticker said $3.96, but it rang up for just $1. I went back in and cleared them out of the remaining 4 they had mixed in with the rest of their backpack selection. I can always find a use for a good quality backpack for a buck.

Then I found a pair of Dockers at another store marked down from $58 to $11.99 on clearance. I checked a few of this chain's other nearby branches and picked up a couple of more pairs in other colors. Hey, can't pass up name-brand khakis for 12 bucks, right?

Do you have the fortitude to resist a great deal, or do you give in when the price is too good to be true?
International Homo of Mystery

Osubuckeyes

RE: Are You A Sucker For A Deal?

Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:13 pm

Depends on what the product or service is. Some deals I've been offered, but I have no interest in that product despite how good a deal it was. Recently though I landed a $140 flight PHX-CLE r/t, which was too good to pass up! Also, I typically go clothes shopping at a second hand designer store, which landed me a $5k Italian suit for ~$300 and it just happened to be my size! Couldn't pass up that one either.

SaschaYHZ

Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:05 am

You bet! I got up early (4AM!) to get a door crasher deal on my external hard drive. A 1.5TB for $30!

TWA772LR

Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:34 am

You can always find good deals at TJ Max, Marshals or Ross! That's where I buy my belts and dress shirts!

Also, that deal that adamandeve.com has where you buy something and get free shipping, half off your order, 3 "movies", and a "mystery" item. (Come on, we've all seen that commercial on TV after midnight on Comedy Central   )
I don't care who you are, that sounds like an awesome deal in itself!
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Airstud

Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:58 am

I clip coupons from yon Sunday papers, following the rule that it must be for an product that I've either a)used regularly or 2)thought about recently (e.g. saw on store shelves and decided I want I should try it) BEFORE seeing the coupon. (If it's a product I'd have no desire buy beyond the desire to "score savings" with the coupon, then I'd be what I call a Coupon Victim. CVS prints register coupons that are brilliantly engineered to create Coupon Victims.)

I have a 3"x5" notecard file with alpha tabs. On Sundays, once I'm done clipping the viable coupons, I log them in a simple 3-column spreadsheet (Item/brand, value, expiration date). I go through the store flyers to see what's on sale and check my sheet to see if I have a coupon for it. Coupons for anything that's on sale that week are queued for use in my next shopping trip, as are any coupons set to expire in the coming week.

On the other hand, I am about to spend 80 blamed dollars on a messenger bag from L.L.Bean. (It's a nnnnnnice bag, and I've been having serious problems lately with disorganization, and I work hard at my job and I just got a 7.5% raise so thhbphtthbhthbphhhhhht.)

You heard me.
Pancakes are delicious.

AR385

Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:10 am

I really, really, really, try to only purchase things that I need when I need them. Even if they are at a deal, my thought is "Sure, I may get those XXXX for $1" But then I know I won´t find a use for them. So, even though it was just $3 more, it´s something that I´m wasting.

I might be wrong, but I believe that if you are disciplined with your money, deals are just there to increase sales for the store. Over the long run, spending averages the same.

The exception is if I know that within the next year or so I will need a new something, as in a computer, or TV, or suit, and I find there is a deal right now on such, I will get it.

But it´s hard. I´m a sucker for books, model airplanes and deli-food stores. It´s hard to resist a Parma ham at 50%/kg.

OA260

Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:55 am

I dont buy things I do not need but I love a bargain. I always wait until what I want is on offer for instance when the economic crisis came I got my 50" 3D TV with 60% off. So yes I love a deal but only if it is something I want/need.

bhill

Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:36 pm

No, it's called "hoarding".............................
Carpe Pices

photopilot

Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:17 am

Store "Deals" are a suckers game for those who yield to impulse buying for stuff they might want, but don't really NEED!!!

I never shop deals except when I have done all my research, planning etc and am simply waiting for the price to get to the price-point I have already decided to buy an item for.

The only other exception where I might likely buy on an impulse when it's a deal, is food shopping. If bacon, roast beef, or whatever is on at a great price, I'll stock up. But I only do that because I have a freezer and NOTHING ever goes to waste. Buying on a deal and ending up throwing out food isn't a deal at all. So you have to plan and cook and eat smart to maximize whatever is/was on a deal when you bought it. Naturally the better a cook you are gives you more latitude to quickly change your menu to take advantage of deals.

Aesma

Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:50 pm

I hate shopping so that helps. Using coupons and things like that, never, that would take a mental toll on me far bigger than the money saved. Now if I see my favorite coffee or water (San Pellegrino) with a deal, I fill my cart !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

RobertNL070

Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:18 pm

Oh yes. However only stuff I use, usually products on offer at the supermarket. For example at this moment I must have two years' supply of washing powder, one year's supply of shower gel (Nivea for men) and ditto deoderant. I am trying to cut down   
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

scbriml

Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:05 pm

Take my wife.

If I had a pound for every time she gets back from shopping and says "Oh, guess what? I just saved us £50! These shoes were reduced to £150!"

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

moo

Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:50 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Thread starter):
The price sticker said $3.96, but it rang up for just $1. I went back in and cleared them out of the remaining 4 they had mixed in with the rest of their backpack selection

Unfortunately, that is not a deal - and in many countries (UK also) you can be prosecuted for a variant of theft if you take advantage of a wrongly priced item that is obviously not intended to be sold so cheaply.

Then I found a pair of Dockers at another store marked down from $58 to $11.99 on clearance.

That's a legitimate deal.

jetmatt777

Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:40 pm

You aren't saving money, you are just spending less. Very important difference that retailers DO NOT want you to know.

This morning, I had a coupon for a free breakfast item at a fast food place, as long I purchased another combo meal. I spent $6.19 instead of $10.09 (the total before the coupon). I didn't save $4, I just spend $4 less than I would have. But I would have spent $0.00 without the coupon, as I do not particularly like the restaurant for breakfast items. I usually pack my breakfast, which I make at home with groceries from the store, which total about $1.25 a day. (2 biscuits, some bacon and eggs).

So, when all is said today I actually spent approximately $5 more than I would have. I did not save money at all, instead my breakfast spending was 5 times more than I normally spend for breakfast. But retailers and restaurants are drilling in to your head that you SAVED MONEY!! By their calculations, I saved $4 this morning, when in reality I lost $5 more than usual.

Airstud

Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:14 am

Quoting moo (Reply 12):
The price sticker said $3.96, but it rang up for just $1. I went back in and cleared them out of the remaining 4 they had mixed in with the rest of their backpack selection

Unfortunately, that is not a deal - and in many countries (UK also) you can be prosecuted for a variant of theft if you take advantage of a wrongly priced item that is obviously not intended to be sold so cheaply.

What's obvious about it? A markdown from $3.96 to $1 isn't obviously an error; it's a fairly common clearance practice at big-box retailers.

And even if the price discrepancy were obvious, the laws - in the U.S. anyway - are on the consumers' side. If the store's systems ring it up as $1.00 that's all the customer has to pay.

Quoting jetmatt777 (Reply 13):
I had a coupon for a free breakfast item

Mmmmm.... breakfast
Pancakes are delicious.

frostyj

Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:07 pm

Yes, I try to stay out of shops unless I intend to buy things. When I go to the mall I always end up spending more money than I intended to. It really is terrible.

The best for me is to just bring cash instead of the card.
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]