Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

seansasLCY
Topic Author

Looking For A New Car...

Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:58 am

So I past my driving test and now I want to buy a car.

I'm a confident and capable driver (so said the examiner   and currently driving a VW Up! (my fiance's car).

I'm interested in a larger car (I quite like executive saloon type cars and 4X4's). It will be mainly used for travelling from London down to the South Coast, so a lot of motorway driving but also city driving.

I will probably buy used (1 or 2 years old). So far I've looked at the BMW 5 Series, X1, X3 , Audi A6, Volvo S80 and S60, and Range Rover Evoque.

Any suggestions of other cars to look at? I'll make a decision in the new year most likely.

Thanks!

sccutler

RE: Looking For A New Car...

Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:48 pm

You're gonna go, go big!

http://www.cadillaceurope.com/en/escalade.php

You can thank me later...  

luckyone

Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:06 pm

Quoting seansasLCY (Thread starter):
Volvo S80 and S60,

I currently own an S80. I bought it as it was coming off a low-mileage, corporate lease. I absolutely love it. The thing eats road and has the most comfortable seats bar none. It's not as sporty as the BMW or Audi offerings (being front-wheel drive with a hefty 65% on the front wheels), but it also didn't COST nearly as much as those offerings either, and I personally found the electronic interface on the BMW iDrive exasperating. It's very intuitive on the Volvo. For a car that spends most of its life pointed straight ahead on the highway it ticked all my boxes, and didn't cost me anymore than a comparably equipped Ford Fusion (Mondeo on your side of the pond). The S60 is a bit sportier, but if you're tall like me it can leave you wanting a smidge more headroom.

X1

The X1 is basically a 3 series station wagon lifted an inch or two. It handles like a brick for a Bimmer. The X3, however, is a very nice machine.

Range Rover Evoque.

We tested one of those for my mother-in-law recently. You can't see a blessed thing out of it. I personally am wary of cars that REQUIRE the use of a camera to avoid running over anyone or anything when reversing.

A Jaguar XF is a really nice-looking machine. Drives very well on the road. A bit pricey, but you're looking at executive cars so hey...It too, is kinda tough on the tall ones.

seansasLCY
Topic Author

Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:50 pm

Thanks. I've thought the same on the S80. The price is a real winner for the kit you get.

I'm keen on the X3 but need to look more.  

The Escalade is a big no! If I was going that big it would be a Range Rover or an X5.

rabenschlag

Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:16 pm

May I suggest this one:

http://www.citroen.co.uk/new-cars-and-vans/car-range/citroen-c5-saloon

I own one (HDI200 saloon) for more than a year now and I could not be happier (well, maybe I could in a world where money and image do not matter. In such a world, I'd probably drive a Mercedes S Class or Rolls Royce Ghost). It is a comfortable car, rather muted, capable of wafting, but also capable of high speed motorway cruising. Just last Sunday, on empty German Autobahns, I travelled 550 kms in 3 h and 45 mins, and this was a rather relaxing drive. The hydropneumatic suspension adapts to the current conditions and gives you a very comfortable yet confident feeling. Citroen offers great discounts on new cars. The C5 is also relatively reliable.

jetmatt777

Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:38 pm

Quoting luckyone (Reply 2):
I currently own an S80. I bought it as it was coming off a low-mileage, corporate lease. I absolutely love it. The thing eats road and has the most comfortable seats bar none. It's not as sporty as the BMW or Audi offerings (being front-wheel drive with a hefty 65% on the front wheels), but it also didn't COST nearly as much as those offerings either, and I personally found the electronic interface on the BMW iDrive exasperating. It's very intuitive on the Volvo. For a car that spends most of its life pointed straight ahead on the highway it ticked all my boxes, and didn't cost me anymore than a comparably equipped Ford Fusion (Mondeo on your side of the pond). The S60 is a bit sportier, but if you're tall like me it can leave you wanting a smidge more headroom.

I have a Volvo S40, love the Volvos. Can't go wrong.

na

Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:57 pm

X1, no, its ugly (like a piece of melted butter so I think) and not as good as the other BMW cars on your list.
Personally I think SUVs are pointless if you´re not driving off-road regularly (uglier, pricier, thirstier than their standard car sisters,) And dont forget those huge tyre costs which can easily come close to Porsche 911 levels. My in-law owns the current X3 and says never again. Tyre costs are more than double than the A6 he had before!!!

I miss the Jag XF on your list which would be my pick if asked!

luckyone

Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:29 pm

Quoting seansasLCY (Reply 3):
The Escalade is a big no! If I was going that big it would be a Range Rover or an X5.

You could sublet the extra space in an Escalade. But I agree, the Rover or X5 are much classier, much more understated. Cadillac has always been big and loud, and the Escalade continues that tradition. I find it very jarring to look at all that bling, and for the same reasons I'm not overly fond of Mercedes-Benz products.

Quoting rabenschlag (Reply 4):
I own one (HDI200 saloon) for more than a year now and I could not be happier (well, maybe I could in a world where money and image do not matter. In such a world, I'd probably drive a Mercedes S Class or Rolls Royce Ghost). It is a comfortable car, rather muted, capable of wafting, but also capable of high speed motorway cruising. Just last Sunday, on empty German Autobahns, I travelled 550 kms in 3 h and 45 mins, and this was a rather relaxing drive. The hydropneumatic suspension adapts to the current conditions and gives you a very comfortable yet confident feeling. Citroen offers great discounts on new cars. The C5 is also relatively reliable.

During a trip to Europe a few years ago we had a C5 wagon. Like so many French cars it is everything but what you need it to be--kind of the antithesis of a Volkswagen, which is only what you need it to be!. My mother's old 1993 Ford Explorer was less ponderous and loping. It likes to go in one direction, and one direction only: straight ahead. But yes, on the motorway with gentle handling it does very well.

Quoting na (Reply 6):
Personally I think SUVs are pointless if you´re not driving off-road regularly (uglier, pricier, thirstier than their standard car sisters,) And dont forget those huge tyre costs which can easily come close to Porsche 911 levels.

I agree. A large SUV is not needed. Though I would say if one wanted an SUV a good balance is struck by the Volkswagen Tiguan. Being basically a tall Golf, it does remarkably well as a city-car, mileage is acceptable, plenty of power for highway cruising (at least our 2.0T American spec, I haven't driven a diesel version) but handles delightfully in town. High perched seats for those who like the vantage, but you can actually see around it if you get behind one. Space could be a bit better in the back, but ours has always hauled what we needed it to carry. And it comes with AWD, and does very well in the snow. If VW's aren't you thing there's also the Ford Escape (Kuga I believe in the European market), or Audi Q5, which has the same amount of space as the Tiguan for ten grand more.

rabenschlag

Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:42 pm

Quoting luckyone (Reply 7):
During a trip to Europe a few years ago we had a C5 wagon. Like so many French cars it is everything but what you need it to be--kind of the antithesis of a Volkswagen, which is only what you need it to be!. My mother's old 1993 Ford Explorer was less ponderous and loping. It likes to go in one direction, and one direction only: straight ahead. But yes, on the motorway with gentle handling it does very well.

Certainly a matter of preference. I want my car to be the antithesis of a Volkswagen, I want it to be fluffy and wafting. Unfortunately, there are not many car makers anymore that focus on a soft, supple ride instead of 'sporty' cornering capabilities at the cost of comfort. As far as sports is concerned, I'll ride my bike, lift some weights, or take an extended swim.

On a side note, Citroens hydropneumatic suspension actually allows high cornering speeds,aAnd look at what the suspension was capable of in the late 80'ies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZfB2sNEsU0

Cheers,

Rabenschlag

[Edited 2014-12-10 11:43:42]

[Edited 2014-12-10 11:44:05]

Kiwirob

Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:48 pm

has the most comfortable seats bar none

I second that.

but it also didn't COST nearly as much as those offerings either

Doesn't cost as much to buy but Volvo's are more expensive to service than the Germans.

Quoting na (Reply 6):
Personally I think SUVs are pointless if you´re not driving off-road regularly

Premium SUV's, especially those made by the Germans (except the G) are not in anyway built for driving offroad, they are road cars first and foremost. Now Landcruisers and Range Rover/Land Rovers are pretty good at both.

What the OP hasn't mentioned is his/her budget.

luckyone

Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:33 pm

Quoting rabenschlag (Reply 8):
Certainly a matter of preference. I want my car to be the antithesis of a Volkswagen, I want it to be fluffy and wafting. Unfortunately, there are not many car makers anymore that focus on a soft, supple ride instead of 'sporty' cornering capabilities at the cost of comfort. As far as sports is concerned, I'll ride my bike, lift some weights, or take an extended swim.

Oh indeed absolutely a matter of preference and I wasn't intending to take any of that away. I think some of it is also economics. Unibody cars tend to be firmer and handle better and they're cheaper to build. Body-on-frame cars could sit on large amounts of rubber and springs. And by everything but what you want it to be I was only referring to the historic quirkiness of French cars, particularly the more innovative Citroens. From a technical perspective it's a marvel. While I'm inching down the expressway all that stuff just gets in the way of a practical driving experience.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 9):

Doesn't cost as much to buy but Volvo's are more expensive to service than the Germans.

While that may be the case where you are, that is not the case in the States, so it's probably a good idea to compare those costs in the UK. Compared to the A6, on average the Volvo S80 has lower maintenance and repair costs over 5 years. Same with the BMW 5-series. The Volvo S60 also comes out cheaper in maintenance and repairs vs. its class competitors A4, and cheaper parts than the 3 series, though its maintenance is more expensive--and its sticker is considerably less, at least here in the States. The Volvo XC60 is cheaper on both counts than the BMW X3, a slightly smaller car, and has cheaper repairs (but just slightly more expensive average maintenance than the X5, a much larger car).

[Edited 2014-12-10 12:50:10]

[Edited 2014-12-10 13:23:38]

zippyjet

Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:11 pm

No matter what you do best of luck. Make sure it's an enjoyable process so you don't get cornered into a hasty deal. Test drive, test drive and did I say test drive. Take a friend or friends with you. Someone that is objective enough to keep you balanced. A lot of car sales people have the addage whether new or used: The feel of the wheel seals the deal. Or something like that. If you have a mechanic/engineer you trust take it to him or her and have them go over it with a fine tooth comb. It may cost you some money but even if the mechanic rejects or advises you against that car you'll be ahead in the game. Better to get something that has the potential for you to swear by it not at it. Also check the motoring magazines and Consumer Reports for averages in frequency of repair. Hopefully you will not be up against a time element. Meaning you need the car by... That besides raging I want it car hormones can be your enemy.

[Edited 2014-12-10 15:14:08]

ab486

Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:21 pm

I, too, owned an S80 until last year. Couldn't fault it. Very comfortable and reliable. It had done over 260,000 miles before I switched and it was still going strong, even when doing 100 miles a day, 5 days a week. Can definitely recommend them!

sccutler

Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:42 am

Does Mazda sell in the UK? Their SUVs, and cars, are really remarkably good, especially for the money.

nws2002

Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:38 am

Quoting sccutler (Reply 13):
Does Mazda sell in the UK? Their SUVs, and cars, are really remarkably good, especially for the money.

I was going to suggest Mazda as well. I purchased a 2014 Mazda 3 earlier this year and it is a very nice car. I think I took every model on the lot for a test drive including the 3, 6, CX-5, and CX-9. The CX-9 was way too big of a car for my needs but I really liked the CX-5 for a smaller CUV. I ended up purchasing the 3 because I also own a Jeep so having a second SUV seemed redundant. The 6 was very nice for a larger car, but once again was larger than what I wanted or needed.

The 3 looks great, handles amazingly well for the price, and with the 2.5 L engine at least has some umph to it.

Kiwirob

Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:33 am

Quoting luckyone (Reply 10):
While that may be the case where you are, that is not the case in the States, so it's probably a good idea to compare those costs in the UK.

It is in Norway and if you start reading the Volvo UK forums you'll find that servicing costs in the UK are also higher than the German brands. That said Volvo's are great cars, the V70 we owned is probably the best allround car we've ever owned.

JJJ

Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:44 am

Quoting rabenschlag (Reply 8):

On a side note, Citroens hydropneumatic suspension actually allows high cornering speeds,aAnd look at what the suspension was capable of in the late 80'ies:

The new C5 is miles ahead of the old series.

And PSA licenses that suspension for the S-Class, it's really something you can only get on a Citroen, and makes for a very smooth ride.

You almost glide over the road.

rabenschlag

Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:16 am

Quoting JJJ (Reply 16):
And PSA licenses that suspension for the S-Class, it's really something you can only get on a Citroen, and makes for a very smooth ride.

In all fairness, this licensing ended with the W126 in 1991. Since then, Daimler has pushed their own air suspension system (which does not involve the gas/oil combination as Citroens system), called airmatic. The latest incarnation of the S-Class, however, features the Magic Body Control system, which scans the street ahead for bumps and dents and immediately adjusts the dampening. It works with steel springs though, and electro-magnetically adjusted dampers.

garpd

Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:53 pm

If you are happy with buying second hand, I fully recommend a good low mileage Peugeot 407 Coupé.
There are some 2009/2010 examples to be had for not much money.

I have one, I got it for a snip at £2900 for a 2006 plate with just 27,500 miles on the clock, one previous owner. (Owner commuted 6 days out of 7 by train)
This thing wafts along and soaks up the bumps. It feels solid, is very well built and you get so many toys with it, the big boys that are on sale today will struggle to keep up and still be affordable.

What you get for your money:

Cruise Control/ Speed limiter
Built in sat nav
Bluetooth as of 2008 onward
CD Multi-Changer
Dual Aircon controls
Aux input
Large center dash screen that will play DVDs via the aux input.
All leather interior
Heated memory seats
automatic dipping rear view mirror
Bi-Xenon headlights
Variable power steering
Parking assistance front and rear
Built in telephone with full integrated hands free (people call and don't realise I'm in my car)
Front CD player supports MP3
JBL speakers all round (8 of them)
Built in JBL amp.
Front and Rear power sockets.
Room for 4 large adults and at least 4 suitcases.

Had mine up to 90mph (by accident!) and in felt and sounded like I was doing 30mph. You can whisper and your rear seat passengers can understand you.

It is a lot of car for the money. It was Peugeot's attempt to mix with the big guns in the luxury coupé market.
Comes with either 2.2lt Petrol engine (Mine), 3.0 Litre V6 Petrol, 2.2 Litre Diesel or 3.l V6 Diesel.
The gear box has 6 gears. Just the right amount.
Even comes as an automatic if you so wish.

Peugeot's engines are bullet proof. Keep the oil clean, look after the belts and it'll never fail on you.

This is my 3rd Peugeot. The previous to being a 406 Saloon that I sold with 198,000 miles on the clock, then a 406 Coupé which I sold with 190,000 miles on the clock. Both bought second hand and owned for 7 years. Never let me down.

B777LRF

Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:12 pm

There's only one advice one should give in cases such as this: Buy a Golf.

Having said that, my recommendation would be for a XF-S diesel. You should ideally get a 2011 model, which comes with a number of improvements. They can be had from around 25K EUR in Premium Luxury fit, in Germany.

One of the nicer cars I've driven, and I find it very aesthetically pleasing too - particularly the rear end. And, it's a Jag ...

PhilBy

Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:43 pm

Think about what you want to do with the car before selecting. Mine are alwys good for carrying kayaks and bikes and have good range.

Failing that always test drive - you may not like the driving position, instrument arrangement, acoustics etc.

RayChuang

Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:40 am

If I were to buy a new car in the UK, I'd get the Volkwagen Golf (Mk. VII model) with the 140 ps TDI engine. Not only does it have good acceleration, but if driven reasonably you should get close to 50 miles per Imperial gallon fuel efficiency.

garpd

Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:19 am

Only problem with VWs are, you get next to no equipment with them unless you pay over the odds.

jetwet1

Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:39 am

Volvo S80 and S60
Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 9):
I second that.

I third that, the wife had an S60R as her daily driver, that car ate the freeway miles, the seats were as comfortable as my old E500's. The rear seats are best left for young kids, or people with no legs, it has the turning circle of an oil tanker, but I still love and miss that car. She replaced it with a VW CC, another great car, the front seats are not as comfortable as the Volvo's, but it's close.

I test drove a S80, but ended up going for a very low mileage 2006 W12 VW Phaeton, I do not really recommend it for everyone, I found one at a stupidly low price 3 years ago and I was able to buy a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty for it. I love the car, but in the UK, the running costs would kill you. I ended up getting a VW Tiguan last year to use as my daily driver, mostly because we got a dog and there was no way he was getting into the Phaeton.

B777LRF

Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:56 am

Quoting garpd (Reply 22):
Only problem with VWs are, you get next to no equipment with them unless you pay over the odds.

That holds true for all German brands. And the reason is fairly simple: They don't have to offer a lot as standard fit in order to flog their cars, whereas the Frence, Japanese, Korean etc. competitors have to offer a lot of goodies to be competitive against the German offerings.

garpd

Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:43 pm

Quoting B777LRF (Reply 24):
whereas the Frence, Japanese, Korean etc. competitors have to offer a lot of goodies to be competitive against the German offerings.

Which isn't really the case any more. I see far more French, Japanese, Korean and British cars on our roads than VWs, Audis, etc. (talking about the UK here) People have woken up to the fact they're getting fleeced for the sake of a badge and the German brands or no more reliable these days than other European offerings. They're also for the most part far more expensive to maintain than other offerings.

Folks are voting with their wallets.

BMI727

Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:00 pm

Quoting seansasLCY (Reply 3):
The Escalade is a big no!

Escalades are overrated, especially as they aren't really any cheaper than a Cayenne or Range Rover.

For my money, the Suburban is where it's at. The interior is amply comfortable and trades excessive bling for understated presence. Few vehicles have the same quiet power as the Suburban, especially outside North America.

pvjin

Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:07 pm

Quoting garpd (Reply 25):

Yeah, at least around here the sales of VW's have been impacted by serious unreliability problems with VW's TSI engines and DSG automatic gearboxes.

Personally I choose Japanese or Korean any day over anything with VW, Skoda or Seat badge on it, especially anything that runs on petrol.

luckyone

Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:26 pm

Quoting garpd (Reply 22):

It's interesting how those things are so different. Here, VW does not command any sort of premium, and VW had to specialize two of its cars for the American market. Which is a shame because their offerings are great. The list of standards is quite extensive on American models, and really the only model they offer here that makes you look twice at the price is the Touareg.

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 23):
I third that, the wife had an S60R as her daily driver, that car ate the freeway miles, the seats were as comfortable as my old E500's. The rear seats are best left for young kids, or people with no legs, it has the turning circle of an oil tanker, but I still love and miss that car. She replaced it with a VW CC, another great car, the front seats are not as comfortable as the Volvo's, but it's close.

Yeah I wasn't crazy about the last gen S60. The S40 seemed to have more legroom. The new one is great though.