fxramper
Topic Author

What Is The Point Of The UK Royal Family?

Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:13 am

They are names and that is about. No real power. Why is the Queen still in reign? Why won't she abdicate and let Charles lead? I've been to the UK about a 100 times and it's not even worth seeing Buckingham Palace anymore. They have no real power. Is it still a tourist attraction? The Daily Mail agrees.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ls-tour-proves-dull-ve-become.html

Also, William needs some rogaine.   

aerorobnz

RE: What Is The Point Of The UK Royal Family?

Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:38 am

Yes the Monarchs don't rule with an iron fist any longer infavour of stability, popularity and longevity but I suspect they still possess a lot more power and influence than is suggested.

Legally she still possesses a fair bit of power over government, it's just that she chooses not to exert it unless necessary She has a lot of clout in the Commonwealth countries, where she features on plenty of currencies and is technically the Queen of New Zealand and many others besides. She has Governor Generals in thoose countries to make sure any laws passed are done in the best interest of the Queen and country.

Ask the UK Tourism board how much tourism related income they generate for the UK. It's a fair bit
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

TheCommodore

Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:02 am

Quoting fxramper (Thread starter):
They have no real power

Ummm.... Yes they do, and lots of it.

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 1):
Ask the UK Tourism board how much tourism related income they generate for the UK. It's a fair bit

Many other countries would kill to have a "Royal Family".... Just look at America, Americans wet themselves every time they see a Royal !!

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate...oyalty-started-with-princess-diana
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

LAX772LR

Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:13 am

I've been to the UK about a 100 times and it's not even worth seeing Buckingham Palace anymore

You might not, but it's more or less a must-see for someone else who's making their first trip to the UK.... and that means major money for them.

I mean, what the heck is really the draw to London for tourists, relative to Paris or Amsterdam, other than all the royalty nonsense.... the UK's awesome food?  

Legally she still possesses a fair bit of power over government, it's just that she chooses not to exert it unless necessary

'course, the first time she does in any disruptive way.... will likely be the day they move to dissolve the monarchy.

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 2):
Americans wet themselves every time they see a Royal !!

Bah. Personally, I've always felt that the two most idiotic aspects of human behavior are Organized Religion and Monarchy, the latter of which typically needed the former in order to sustain itself.

And anyway, these same people "wet themselves" every time they see Kim Kardashian or Justin Bieber too... so not exactly a great standard of comparison to the rest of us.

[Edited 2014-12-10 19:18:16]
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

TheCommodore

Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:39 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 3):
'course, the first time she does in any disruptive way.... will likely be the day they move to dissolve the monarchy.

Not true !....You'r better read up on some history if you think that's the case...

The "dismissal of Australian PM Cough Whitlam" by the HM Queen Elizabeth 11

She sacked him years ago, and she still enjoys stella's still here, alive and kicking and enjoying stella support by Australians in general.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Australian_constitutional_crisis
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

fr8mech

Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:41 am

Many other countries would kill to have a "Royal Family".... Just look at America, Americans wet themselves every time they see a Royal !!

My daughter was all googly about the young Prince George this passed summer while in line at Target...I told her, and I quote, "The American Revolution was fought over 200 years ago so that we can tell the Royal Family to ****-off". The cashier almost spit out her gum.

I really don't know whether the royals have power or not, but it seems that they form a rallying point for the subjects of the United Kingdom.

I sum it up like this: The Queen is the Head of State, while The Prime Minister is the Head of Government. The former is basically ceremonial while the latter holds the real power of government.

And anyway, these same people "wet themselves" every time they see Kim Kardashian or Justin Bieber too... so not exactly a great standard of comparison to the rest of us.

They are a loud and loathsome bunch, aren't they?
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Airstud

Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:59 am

Is it true that when they call an election in the UK that they officially need the Queen to give permission to go ahead with it? Does the Crown actually have that power?

(Also, I've read that investment returns on the royal family's £6 billion fortune are paid directly into the UK's public treasury, which if true doesn't seem like a bad deal for the UK public.)
Pancakes are delicious.

NAV30

Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:09 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 5):
I really don't know whether the royals have power or not
I sum it up like this: The Queen is the Head of State, while The Prime Minister is the Head of Government.

You've pretty well summed the situation up perfectly, fr8mech. Yes, the Prime Minister runs the government on a day-to-day basis - and has virtually total power, subject to parliament approving legislation, and the Queen giving it 'Royal Assent' (usually a mere formality).

But the Queen, as Head of State, can fire him (or her) any time she likes - provided that she has solid grounds. Only thing is, she would have immediately to appoint another prime minister, acceptable to parliament..............

Very few things in this world are 'perfect,' but I think the British (and Commonwealth) system comes close. If a given prime minister fails, the Queen can fire him/her - but is then bound immediately to appoint a (hopefully more competent) successor..........

PS - same applies to Commonwealth countries, including Australia - the Queen appoints a 'Governor-General' as Head of State..................and has the power to fire them as well, if necessary (as happened here, in 1975).........

[Edited 2014-12-10 20:26:35]

aerorobnz

Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:25 am

Quoting NAV30 (Reply 7):
Very few things in this world are 'perfect,' but I think the British (and Commonwealth) system comes close. If a given prime minister fails, the Queen can fire him/her - but is then bound immediately to appoint a (hopefully more competent) successor.

I wish she would hurry up and fire John Key for blatently lying to the NZ public.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

ElanusNotatus

Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:51 am

Quoting Airstud (Reply 6):

Yes it is within the Royal Prerogative to convene and dissolve Parliament, though this is usually done on the advice of the Prime Minister. The Prime Minister and Members of Cabinet are appointed by the Queen, though by modern convention the Prime Minister will the leader of the party that can command a majority in the House of Commons. The Queen may also dismiss a Prime Minister against or without the advice of the Prime Minister, as was shown in the Australian example of 1975.

Quoting NAV30 (Reply 7):

The Constitutional position in the United Kingdom is that while the Prime Minister must command a majority in House of Commons, the power of the Cabinet derives from the Royal Prerogative - hence the Ministers are Ministers of the Crown and not Ministers of Parliament. Secondly, despite being elected to Parliament, no Member may take up his/her seat without first swearing an Oath of Allegiance to Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors.

While many things can only be done following the passage of legislation, and agencies of the state are nominally accountable to Parliament, a lot can and does happen without effective Parliamentary oversight. The Queen may refuse consideration of bills impacting on the Royal Prerogative. HM and Wales can and do peruse bills and suggest amendments where those bills affect their personal domains and business interests.

Treaties and agreements between States are not made by Parliament but by the Crown. So Parliament can pass a resolution recommending recognition of a State but the Crown is not obliged to act. The Government may become involved in kidnapping people and sending them overseas to be tortured, despite it being contrary to other laws, yet no one is held accountable in Parliament or the Courts because the decision to agree to requests for rendition lies within the Royal Prerogative.

Now whether or not one thinks individual decisions are desirable, they do point to the very real power of the Crown in relation to Parliament. That is the real relevence: it is not how much power the Queen herself exercises but the powers that flow from the Crown. The Queen's own powers only exist to tne extent that she is the embodiment of the Crown but the Crown is a "Corporation". The Crown still exists even without the Queen.

[Edited 2014-12-10 20:56:34]
Crawl, walk, fly into the future

fr8mech

Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:52 am

I've been to the UK about a 100 times and it's not even worth seeing Buckingham Palace anymore.

And, I've been to Athens about 2 dozen times and I don't think the Acropolis is worth visiting anymore. Doesn't mean that someone else won't find it fascinating.

I'd love to visit London, its environs and all that it has to offer from a historical perspective. In fact, we are planning a family trip to Europe in 3 years. I want London on the itinerary, but the wife doesn't. Something to work out. I might let the little guy decide whether it's in or not...after I inundate him with tales of knights and wizards and swords and castles.

TheCommodore

Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:02 am

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 8):
I wish she would hurry up and fire John Key for blatently lying to the NZ publi

Yeah... and while your at it..... what about "The Abbott" !

My daughter was all googly about the young Prince George this passed summer while in line at Target...I told her, and I quote, "The American Revolution was fought over 200 years ago so that we can tell the Royal Family to ****-off". The cashier almost spit out her gum.

Great story fr8mech,  
I sum it up like this: The Queen is the Head of State, while The Prime Minister is the Head of Government. The former is basically ceremonial while the latter holds the real power of government.

Bingo. Sums it up very concisely, without going into too much gobble gook !

TWA772LR

Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:10 am

We do have a royal family. The Kardashians.   
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Kiwirob

Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:06 am

the UK's awesome food?

The UK does have awesome food, saying food in the UK is crap is like saying food in France or Spain is crap, the UK can be a foodies delight.

The UK has more Michellin stared resturants than the US.

I wish she would hurry up and fire John Key for blatently lying to the NZ public.

Who would replace him? Labour will never get back into power as long as they will need the Greens to get them there. The NZ Greens are a bunch of dangerous morons who would screw up NZ faster than they could be removed from power. I have to say Labour were smart picking Andrew Little, he's got some nouse.

Why won't she abdicate and let Charles lead?

Because of this

[quote]I declare before you all that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong.[quote]

She takes this declaration very seriously, she's lived her life by it.

wstakl

Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:15 am

Well said that man! It's incredible how many 'brain fades' our PM has had and then suddenly remembers again a few days later.

MD11Engineer

Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:25 am

Legally she still possesses a fair bit of power over government, it's just that she chooses not to exert it unless necessary

Actually she has quite a lot of backing in the British military (the soldier's oath is to her, not the parliament). Having read the opinions of many British soldiers, they seem to despise the British political class, with very few exeptions, as corrupt, selfserving and opportunistic. As shehas served in the ATS during WW2 and her husband in the Royal Navy during several battles, they are also seen as veterans.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

OA260

Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:20 am

Quoting Airstud (Reply 6):

Yes but a lot of these things are tradition and you are right about their value to British tourism and the economy they add a hell of a lot and I would never want to see them go. The British Royals have evolved and the younger generation of Royals have never been more popular. They are very much in touch with the people. Even the Queen has changed so much.

TheCommodore

Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:29 am

Quoting md11engineer (Reply 15):
Having read the opinions of many British soldiers, they seem to despise the British political class, with very few exeptions, as corrupt, selfserving and opportunistic.

Can I ask where you read that ?

Ive always understood that the Royals, especially HM Queen enjoyed a great deal of respect.

[Edited 2014-12-11 01:30:23]

[Edited 2014-12-11 01:40:01]

fr8mech

Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:50 am

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 17):
Ive always understood that the Royals, especially HM Queen enjoyed a great deal of respect.

I believe that's what MD is saying, as most folks probably don't regard the royals as political.

TheCommodore

Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:56 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 18):
I believe that's what MD is saying, as most folks probably don't regard the royals as political.

Ok then, I see.

Cheers

aerorobnz

Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:34 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 13):
Who would replace him?

the Queen in her power can appoint whoever she deems suitable. They don't have to be currently elected individuals- in fact she could just leave the Governor General in until after a reelection could occur I'd be even happier if she could turf each and every one of the 120 MPs of this country out on their asses...They are corrupt, immoral, self-serving a-holes who have no intention on doing anything they were actually elected to do if it doesn't personaly make them more money. at the expense of everyone else in this nation.

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 11):
Yeah... and while your at it..... what about "The Abbott" !

Yep, him too,

Bongodog1964

Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:54 pm

I mean, what the heck is really the draw to London for tourists, relative to Paris or Amsterdam, other than all the royalty nonsense.... the UK's awesome food?  

I'm willing to listen to food criticism from almost anyone apart from US citizens, main reason being that much of what is regarded as good food in the US comprises of ingredients or production methods banned in the EU for health reasons.

And anyway, these same people "wet themselves" every time they see Kim Kardashian or Justin Bieber too... so not exactly a great standard of comparison to the rest of us

One advantage of the Royal family is that they provide a very cost effective service for officiating at premieres, official openings etc, whereas the likes of Kardashian or Bieber would want a small fortune. The Royals often perform 3 or 4 such engagements each day (thats each member, not a collective total)

Many other countries would kill to have a "Royal Family"

Many others have killed in order to remove a Royal family, as indeed did the UK under Oliver Cromwell

frostyj

Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:33 pm

Its part of British heritage.
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

einsteinboricua

Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:58 pm

What's the point? It serves as the unifying point for the UK. They're relics of an institution that was once the dominant power and an empire which spanned all over the globe.

Why is the Queen still in reign?

If you were just months away from breaking your country's longest reigning time ever, would you give it up? I wouldn't. Besides, the Queen is still in good health.

The fact that her royal peers are doing so doesn't mean she has to hop on the wagon. Besides, I would assume that most would want William to be king rather than Charles.

Is it still a tourist attraction?

You'd be surprised how much revenue that brings to the country.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Kiwirob

Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:53 pm

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 20):
They are corrupt, immoral, self-serving a-holes who have no intention on doing anything they were actually elected to do if it doesn't personaly make them more money. at the expense of everyone else in this nation.

The would be politicians the world over, I personally think ours are probably better than most, just think about it, it could be worse we could have had some twit like GWB running NZ.

Dano1977

Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:33 pm

The Royal family doesn't cost a lot either.

At this present moment they cost £0.56 or $0.88 per year per person, which in the great scheme of things is peanuts.

It's the peers in the House of Lords that need removing. Especially after they rejected cost saving measures because they don't want to downgrade their champagne to sparkling wine.

As for the dig at British Food especially from a citizen of the country that the bread is so sweet it's horrible or dairy and meat products laced BHT etc.
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.

PhilBy

Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:55 pm

From interviews with past prime ministers we get the impression that the queen is a very valuable and party impartial advisor. Apparently she discusses policies in depth with the prime minister to present a view of what may be best for the country as a whole (fortunately the UK a sane and responsible monarch)

Quoting Dano1977 (Reply 25):
It's the peers in the House of Lords that need removing.

While I would admit that some of the peers are irrelevant, alongside the queen the peers help curb the effects of rampant party politics that render the versions of democracy practised in some countries such a farce.

Quoting Dano1977 (Reply 25):
Especially after they rejected cost saving measures because they don't want to downgrade their champagne to sparkling wine.

So they like a few drinks. I would be interested in knowing what the saving is as a percentage of the annual civil service budget.

bhill

Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:57 pm

Man...if only we had one of those....It would be sooooooo nice to have a Speak....appointed....
Carpe Pices

MD11Engineer

Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:37 pm

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 17):
Quoting md11engineer (Reply 15):
Having read the opinions of many British soldiers, they seem to despise the British political class, with very few exeptions, as corrupt, selfserving and opportunistic.

Can I ask where you read that ?

[Edited 2014-12-11 01:30:23]

[Edited 2014-12-11 01:40:01]
Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 19):
Quoting fr8mech (Reply 18):

Ok then, I see.

Cheers

Exactly. The professional political class (party politicians) are despised by many British soldiers, no matter what party the are coming from (with very few exceptions, mainly MPs, who have been in the military themselves and have seen action and risked their lives). They are seen as to easily risk the soldier's lives for some fast publicity effects to win them another election and personal income. Especially Tony Blair ("B.Liar") is despised as an opportunistic, greedy and corrupt example, with David Cameron ("Call Me Dave") not far behind him.
The Queen, Prince Philipp, as well as Harry and William are seen as veterans or fellow soldiers, who "have seen the elephant" and done their bit. Especially Harry's "scandals" are seen as something any squaddy would do, given the chance. (e.g. getting drunk and then nude at a party, especially with pretty, equally nude, females around). He is one of them, and, since his tours in Afghanistan, has also the reputation of being a capable army officer, who can lead men in combat.
My opions stem from having followed the discussions on the inofficial British Army forum since several years (where I originally ended up when researching some historical issues about the british Army, being a history nut).

Quoting bongodog1964 (Reply 21):

Many other countries would kill to have a "Royal Family"

Many others have killed in order to remove a Royal family, as indeed did the UK under Oliver Cromwell

Who then installed a religious fanatic, even by 17th century standards, military dictatorship.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

LAX772LR

Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:55 pm

Quoting bongodog1964 (Reply 21):
I'm willing to listen to food criticism from almost anyone apart from US citizens, main reason being that much of what is regarded as good food in the US comprises of ingredients or production methods banned in the EU for health reasons.

Which is of course, ridiculously presumptive on your part.  

Just because I currently choose to live in the USA does not mean that I'm 1) from here nor 2) have culinary experience that is limited to what this place considers "good" food.

....and yeah, traditional British food sucks. Horribly.

~signed,
Italy, France, Greece, Ethiopia, Lebanon, Iran, Thailand, Japan and other areas in the world with actually decent native foods.

Bongodog1964

Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:05 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 29):

~signed,
Italy, France, Greece, Ethiopia, Lebanon, Iran, Thailand, Japan and other areas in the world with actually decent native foods.

Please enlighten us as to what you consider to be traditional British food, you've already said

Pot, kettle and black springs to mind

LAX772LR

Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:56 pm

Quoting bongodog1964 (Reply 30):

Though, not quite sure why... what exactly am I assuming? Do share.

bgm

Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:05 am

the UK's awesome food?

Clearly you haven't been to the UK in the last 20 years.  
~signed,

Not seeing good old 'Murca on that list.   

Quoting bongodog1964 (Reply 30):

OK boomer.

Airstud

Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:15 am

I haven't been to England since 1985 but 'twas in that land that I had what counts even today as my best restaurant meal ever. It was at The Kiln, which is (was?) attached to the Hotel Dragonara in Bristol.  
Pancakes are delicious.

GDB

Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:51 am

The food? Yes, it sucks, in the same way that men in the UK all have bowler hats, or if not so well off dress like chimney sweeps and talk like Dick Van Dyke.............
Do try and keep up. And ignore the evidence which seems to stem from a period when there were over a million Americans in the UK at one time.
70 years ago, in WW2, when the privations of wartime, heavily rationed Britain (not having the luxury of both your enemies being 3000 miles either way separated by oceans), when yes, the food was not great.
Because that is where these stereotypes some in the US have about us seem to have come from, they started from that and have never quite gone away, unsurprising when the audience for them only have a minority who have passports and actually been abroad.

To the question, well it's an odd question in that it pointed just to the UK Monarchy, what about other first world Liberal Democracies (all rather more 'liberal' than the US in many aspects than the US), such as Sweden, Norway, The Netherlands, Denmark Belgium and Spain.
(The small number of Republicans in the UK who tend to frame the debate on this issue as showing the UK as old fashioned and out of place for having this institution don't like having this pointed out).

This series from 2011/12 might be useful to answer the question, three episodes an hour long each, fill your boots!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgweMOYZRZs&list=PL9D6D6DAB4D58C9AC

Dano1977

Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:08 am

Quoting PhilBy (Reply 26):
So they like a few drinks. I would be interested in knowing what the saving is as a percentage of the annual civil service budget.

Between 2010 and 2014, 17,424 bottles of champagne have been bought at the taxpayer's expense could give each peer 22 bottles of bubbly each.
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.

Airstud

Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:21 am

Quoting Dano1977 (Reply 35):
Between 2010 and 2014, 17,424 bottles of champagne have been bought at the taxpayer's expense could give each peer 22 bottles of bubbly each.

So that's 5½ bottles per year.

Doesn't seem like much.
Pancakes are delicious.

garpd

Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:03 am

Pot, kettle, black.
You have done nothing but insult the UK on this thread with unfounded, baseless and frankly naive drivel.
Are you perhaps one of those Americans that despises countries who actually have long established traditions or a history or even buildings older than your country? I've come across my fair share of those on the internet. Note that I am asking, I am not presuming that because I have encountered one or two like that, that all Americans are the same.

The Royal Family are a heritage, a traditional part of Great Britain. Their role can be traced back to long before white men stood on American soil. They are ingrained into the culture. They are ambassadors for Britain, for charities. Many of the Royal Family also work. Several are or were in the armed forces. They earned their keep.

You talk of native foods. When was the last time you had a native American Indian dish? How are the native american dishes rated, internationally?

99% of what you eat it is imported from one country or another. The USA came into being via the French, Spanish and British. Later, Chinese, Japanese, Irish etc all emigrated to the new land or opportunities and brought their cooking habits with them. African slaves brought with them their own style of cooking too.
So what you eat is based on what they all brought with them. In essence, the USA's cuisine is a mixture of that from many countries the world over.

This isn't a bad thing. It means when I go to Atlanta, Dallas, New York or even Anchorage, I can find something that fits my palette. And guess what... the same goes for the UK too. But our native dishes can be just as rich in flavour and variety as any from France, Italy, Germany, China, Japan, etc, countries who actually have native dishes!

So, next time you want to talk about bad foods and then try to claim one thing or another about native foods, check what you're eating first.

[Edited 2014-12-12 03:12:02]
arpdesign.wordpress.com

CPH-R

Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:59 pm

In the modern, post-WW1 era, there's only one royal house (that I can think of) that has had a tradition of monarchs abdicating, and that's the House of Orange (ie. the Dutch royal family). Of course, the Spanish king abdicated a little while ago, but that was pretty much down to public pressure rather than any form of tradition.

An Australian magazine ran a story a few months ago, claiming an inside source had told them that the Queen of Denmark would resign in favour of HRH the Crown Prince, thus making the Australian-born Crown Princess queen consort. They were roundly mocked over that, given that the last time a Danish monarch abdicated, it was owing to a civil war - in 1523!

PhilBy

Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Quoting Airstud (Reply 36):
So that's 5½ bottles per year.

It probably cost more to do the study to abolish the bubbly than the bubbly itself.

Personally, at 5 bottle per peer per year to keep a lid on party politics I say let them drink fizz.

traditional British food sucks.

Badly cooked English food sucks. Since I've been in France and memeber of a club that goes for canoeing weekends where the caneoing is secondary to the eating, I've frequently cooked for French natives. It seems that they really like well cooked traditional English dishes, most of which they've never heard of and involve combinations of ingrediant that they've never imagined.
Traditional English dishes normally fall between two extremes. What is traditional food because it's a recipe that has been passed down for over 500 years by peasants who only can only eat what is left behind by everyone richer or grows in a ditch and what has been developed more recently by those who can afford to buy their food. The trick is finding the dividing line between the two.
I must admit to never having cooked tripe or pigs knuckles.

And as the country that invented Vindalloo and Balti........

GDB

Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:07 pm

Quoting PhilBy (Reply 39):
I must admit to never having cooked tripe or pigs knuckles.

And I doubt many (certainly including myself) in the UK have either.
Less likely still if you are under under 60 years of age.

NoUFO

Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:22 pm

They are names and that is about. No real power. Why is the Queen still in reign?

Jobs.
Name one British newspaper that could survive without reporting on the bed-linen of the Royal Family.
I support the right to arm bears

Ken777

Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:47 am

Without a Queen (or King) what kind of government would the UK end up with? Bit scary IMO.

I've actually admired the Queen for many years. I believe that her 60 plus years have been a huge benefit to both the UK and the Commonwealth. The world has changed so much over her years and she has, IMO, been a factor in many of these changes - even if quietly from the back rooms.

I can also recall hearing one of the ex-PMs talking about their weekly meeting with the Queen to discuss how things were going and to answer her questions. Answering those questions was by far the most demanding part of the weekly meetings as the Queens was very well informed and had pretty intelligent questions of the PM. The level of those meetings with the PMs over the years can never really be know, but should not be underestimated.

While I was a bit pissed with Charles for a while I believe he is through his stupid years and will one day be a solid King. I'm just not in a rush for that change to happen.

William & Harry are also pretty impressive. I have a lot of respect for Harry pushing to serve in a combat zone and am glad he was able to. William pushed just as hard, but reality denied him the chance to serve in a war zone. I still give him credit for wanting to serve.

Overall I believe that the Royal Family more than pays for itself and will be more important in the future.

fr8mech

Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:43 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 42):
Without a Queen (or King) what kind of government would the UK end up with? Bit scary IMO

They'd end up with exactly what they have: a parliamentary system with an upper and lower house.

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 42):
. I believe that her 60 plus years have been a huge benefit to both the UK and the Commonwealth.

That kind of thing certainly does lend itself to some stability and consistency.

blueflyer

Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:03 am

Quoting garpd (Reply 37):
And guess what... the same goes for the UK too.

Chicken Tikka Masala is a great British dish!

I've been to the UK about a 100 times and it's not even worth seeing Buckingham Palace anymore.

What would be worrisome is if you had gone over 100 times and were still fascinated by Buckingham... For me, Las Vegas Blvd is just a traffic-jammed street I avoid like the plague, the Eiffel tower a useful landmark (when I can see it) to find my way around and New York a dirty, windy, noisy city. It doesn't mean these cities are unimportant or have lost their attractiveness as tourist magnets, does it?
All Hail King Donald

LAX772LR

Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:44 am

Are you perhaps one of those Americans

This is both amazing and amusing to me... I already ask why do you keep assuming I'm American, just based on the fact that I currently live there, and yet you keep going with on with statements like:
When was the last time you had a native American Indian dish?

March of this year, if you must know. Natchez powwpoww. Next question?

How are the native american dishes rated, internationally?

Don't know nor care, for that matter. I sure like 'em though. Well, most. Next question?

So, next time you want to talk about bad foods and then try to claim one thing or another about native foods, check what you're eating first.

Again with the blatant assumption. Droll.

GDB

Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:25 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 43):
They'd end up with exactly what they have: a parliamentary system with an upper and lower house.

You have to remember that the system in the UK has been built up, evolved, over many centuries, with it's own 'checks and balances'.
And yes, a Constitution too, though one that is not from one document at one period of history, rather it has emerged, evolved and changed with the times - eventually!

It is important that the Civil Service, Police, Armed Forces, work for The Crown - which the Monarch is the living symbol of, not to a Prime Minister at the time effectively meaning also his or her party.
This has made the UK an usually stable nation, certainly over the past few hundred years within Europe, the other historically more politically stable ones are generally the other constitutional monarchies.
Our nearest neighbour is on it's 5th Republic.

Losing the Monarch would create an void with great political ramifications, also there is a hesitation even with more reform minded governments about parity with the Lords (maybe changed to a Senate) and the Commons.
You only have to look across the Atlantic to see why - gridlock.

bgm

Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:52 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 45):
Again with the blatant assumption. Droll.

~signed,

Hello pot, meet kettle...
OK boomer.

fr8mech

Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:35 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 46):
Losing the Monarch would create an void with great political ramifications,

Of course it would, but the void, in my opinion, would not create some scary scenario that kicks the UK into some kind of spiral. The political "services" that The Crown provides would be absorbed by others in government or dissolved. Which is better I would leave up to those living in the UK.

LAX772LR

Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:50 pm

Quoting Bgm (Reply 47):
Hello pot, meet kettle...

Just so ya know, repeating it for the second time, doesn't 1) make it so nor 2) answer my question any more than the first time.