Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AR385
Topic Author

Trapped In Your Car In Your Garage?

Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:42 am

I read this and I have a hard time believing this could happen. How can it occur? They tried to break a window with a carjack and were unable to, so I gather they almost died of asphixia. Any car experts may explain to me how this can happen? How can you not break a window? Sure, I know it´s not like in the movies, but even with a jack?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...1&objectid=11376218&ref=NZH_FBpage

WestJet747

RE: Trapped In Your Car In Your Garage?

Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:55 am

A Darwin Award in the making if I've ever seen one...

Quoting AR385 (Thread starter):
Any car experts may explain to me how this can happen?

No car experts required. My mother has keyless SUV and it's absolutely foolproof. As hard as I try, I can't figure out what this couple didn't get.

This couple is just dim.
Flying refined.

Aesma

Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:56 am

Well they couldn't operate the door handles either so they can't be that bright.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

fr8mech

Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:34 am

I will not comment on the people involved.

Quoting AR385 (Thread starter):
? How can you not break a window? Sure, I know it´s not like in the movies, but even with a jack?

Tempered glass is an interesting animal. I suspect that they used the flat base of the jack to try and break the glass.
First, they probably couldn't get enough momentum to get an adequate swing.
Second, I expect they attempted to hit the glass in the middle. This provides the biggest "target" and also provides the area of the glass with the most "flex".
Third, the base provides a larger impact area. This spreads the force of the impact across a bigger portion of the glass; diluting the force expended.

Had they used a sharp point or corner on the jack, they probably would have succeeded in breaking the glass. Of course, they could have used the door handle, but I'll be nice.

Window punches are designed to impart a large amount of force to a small area. They shatter tempered glass very easily, especially when applied to a corner.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

AR385
Topic Author

Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:39 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 3):
Had they used a sharp point or corner on the jack, they probably would have succeeded in breaking the glass. Of course, they could have used the door handle, but I'll be nice.
Window punches are designed to impart a large amount of force to a small area. They shatter tempered glass very easily, especially when applied to a corner.

Very, very interesting. Thank you very much. I learned something new, and valuable in an emergency.

fr8mech

Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:26 am

I want to amplify on what I wrote: a window punch will easily break tempered glass in a vehicle...that does not include the windshield. The windshield is a different animal entirely.

As for tempered glass in a door or in a storefront, I've always found the point of a firefighter's pick-head axe forcefully swung into a lower corner quite adequate for taking out the glass.

Quoting AR385 (Reply 4):
I learned something new, and valuable in an emergency.

Though, I tend to be a minimalist when it comes to stuff I keep in my pocket, I do have something similar to this attached.

[Edited 2014-12-17 22:29:23]
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Kiwirob

Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:33 am

How could they not have just pulled the door handle? Idiots I'm ashamed that they come from NZ.

PanHAM

Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:51 am

There was another couple that was trapped on an escalator for 12 hours recently.

Now, before I die I rather put the gear in reverse, step on the Brakes and put down my foot on the gas, release the foot off brake.

Works even for automatic gear, although, such People are likely not used to employing bth feet when driving.....
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

gabrielchew

Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:13 pm

How could they die from lack of oxygen in a car? That'd have to be pretty air-tight!
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

Stealthz

Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:03 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 6):
How could they not have just pulled the door handle? Idiots
Quoting Aesma (Reply 2):
Well they couldn't operate the door handles either so they can't be that bright.

Don't be too harsh I work for Australia's largest Motoring Services organisation and we take thousands of calls a day from people, most of whom are quite rational despite being well outside their comfort zone.
Some however become stressed to the point of irrationality, it is our job to not only provide them the services they need but also do what we can to ensure that they are in the safest position possible.
We respond to emergencies such as babies and animals locked in cars.. even for non members*** ,our service providers will drop everything to attend such cases even leaving their equipment and tools at their current job.
A few of those many calls a month may involve adults, I myself have taken calls(one only yesterday) where a panicked adult could not open the doors from the inside. most times you can talk them thru the process, calming them and they then release them selves.. not always though.

**** If you are ever confronted by a child or animal locked in a motor vehicle.. call your local auto club or service organisation. If that fails call the Emergency services. Breaking a window is a last resort for many reasons and should be used only if the child or animal is in obvious medical distress.
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

larshjort

Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:15 am

Quoting stealthz (Reply 9):
I myself have taken calls(one only yesterday) where a panicked adult could not open the doors from the inside. most times you can talk them thru the process, calming them and they then release them selves.. not always though.

Just think of all the dead people locked in their cars we would have if the cell phone didn't exist.

Quoting gabrielchew (Reply 8):
How could they die from lack of oxygen in a car? That'd have to be pretty air-tight!

Here is a picture of the car. It was parked in their underwater garage.
139, 306, 319, 320, 321, 332, 34A, AN2, AT4, AT5, AT7, 733, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 146, AR1, BH2, CN1, CR2, DH1, DH3, DH4,

fxramper

Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:20 am

this thread deserves a darwin nomination.

opethfan

Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:56 am

Quoting stealthz (Reply 9):
**** If you are ever confronted by a child or animal locked in a motor vehicle.. call your local auto club or service organisation. If that fails call the Emergency services. Breaking a window is a last resort for many reasons and should be used only if the child or animal is in obvious medical distress.

Going beyond that, in many jurisdictions you are permitted to smash the window in order to save a child or animal locked in a hot car:

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/cops-give-ok-to...car-windows-to-save-kids-1.1356179