MarSciGuy
Topic Author

New Used Car!

Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:49 am

Hi all,

I've been very absent from the forums for quite some time, but figured I'd stop by and ask this question.

I just bought a 2010 Honda Fit (base) as a replacement for my leased '12 Hyundai Elantra Touring and am loving it so far. I'm still getting used to the car and its controls and was wondering if anyone with experience has any tips that would help me out? I'm in NH and will be getting snow tires as soon as we can afford them...

I am seriously hoping that this car lives up to what I think it can as the Elantra Touring was OK in some areas but totally sucked in others. For example, the transmission went at about 28k miles and I had to buy 6 new tres over the 3 years I had it...
"There weren't a ton of gnats there where a ton of gnats and their families as well!"

IMissPiedmont

RE: New Used Car!

Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:28 am

Six tires and one transmission in three years? Might I suggest driving lessons?

The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

Ken777

Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:54 am

My wife has a Hyundai Sonata (unfortunately) and I rate it at a 5. Doesn't matter if "1" is best or "10" is, it's a 5 - max. Sadly we bought it instead of leasing it, but I'm looking for a replacement.

vikkyvik

Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:09 am

What sort of tips are you after?

Never driven a Fit, but had a 2002 Civic for a few years (and it was originally my dad's, so we had it in the family for 8 years or so). Nothing much to it - it got me around just fine, didn't have any serious issues outside of standard maintenance and replacements, and since it was a stick shift, it wasn't a complete bore to drive. Not much power, mediocre-but-acceptable handling, not particularly insulated against noise, but hey, if I wanted those I would have bought something else.

Growing up in Massachusetts, we never - I mean literally never - switched to snow tires in the winter. Decent all-seasons will get the job done just fine, provided you don't drive like an idiot in the winter. Of course, if I were driving in the mountains a lot, I may reconsider that, but even then I would think chains would do the trick. Decrease your speed, increase your following distance (by a significant amount, not just an extra car length), drive in low gear if necessary, and you ought to be fine.

When it got totaled in 2010, it had ~114,000 miles on it, was still on the 1st clutch and engine, and still held a fair amount of value, which was great. So take care of the car, and hopefully when you're done with it, you'll still get a decent amount of money.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

MarSciGuy
Topic Author

Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:00 am

I was mainly wondering if anyone had any tips or things to watch out for driving a Fit. - I love it so far though I have only had it for a week or so to this point!

I have driven a Honda before ( I had a '98 Civic from when it had 104k miles on it until I traded it in for the Elantra Touring that just got returned at the end of its lease...
"There weren't a ton of gnats there where a ton of gnats and their families as well!"

Bongodog1964

Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:41 pm

6 tyres doesn't sound too bad, I don't seem to get much more than 20000 miles from fronts.