frostyj
Topic Author

Wrong Flag So Confused.

Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:33 pm

Why on earth do people on this forum have flags listed for countries that they don't live in?
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

AustrianZRH

RE: Wrong Flag So Confused.

Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:34 pm

Quoting frostyj (Thread starter):
Why on earth do people on this forum have flags listed for countries that they don't live in?

Because they choose to fly the flag of their citizenship? That may be one reason.
WARNING! The post above should be taken with a grain of salt! Furthermore, it may be slightly biased towards A.

Rara

Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:56 pm

Also, some for political reasons. Some rightwingers use Israel flags for example.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

flyingturtle

Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:58 pm

I chose the European flag once, but somehow it was reverted to the Swiss one.  
{rtf1ansiansicpg1252 {fonttblf0fswissfcharset0 Helvetica;} {colortbl;red255green255blue255;red0green0blue0

Hmm, your RTF does not parse well on a.nut.  

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

zckls04

Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:10 pm

Mostly because people move around from country to country (particularly aviation enthusiasts  )

Also though, because quite often we don't want to be defined by our nationalities in discussions.

It's an oft-used lazy way out of a debate- "well you would think that, you're an Uzbek".....etc.
Four Granavox Turbines!

Longhornmaniac

Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:33 pm

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 4):
"well you would think that, you're an Uzbek

What do you have against Uzbeks? You must be a filthy Kazakh!  

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

Tugger

Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:44 pm

I just like hiding behind the American flag. Everybody likes American's so I don't have to deal with people hatin' on me or making assumptions because of it....

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

scbriml

Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:47 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 6):
I just like hiding behind the American flag. Everybody likes American's so I don't have to deal with people hatin' on me or making assumptions because of it....

And they say Americans don't do irony. Well played, sir.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

flyingturtle

Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:51 pm

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 5):
What do you have against Uzbeks? You must be a filthy Kazakh!
Quoting Tugger (Reply 6):

Being reduced to a Swiss is really tiresome, especially as I'm not a patriot at all and I'm more in touch with those Germans.

David

frostyj
Topic Author

Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:53 pm

Well I just do the flag of my country where I currently live. If you are going to put up a fake flag then don't bother.
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

OA260

Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:02 pm

People put up different flags for different reasons and seeing as it is a democracy why not?

Personally my ethnic background I could put up to 3 flags but happen to choose the flag of the country I live in. I fully support the right of everyone to fly the flag they want to based on culture/where they live/ country they love etc...

Some also fly the flag of the country where they are at that time and change it each time. Back in 9/11 many flew the USA flag for a while to show sympathy to the victims/American people. So it is not always as clear cut.

Aesma

Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:19 pm

In France we used to have a number on car registration plates representing the "département" where we were living. Really annoying when you traveled by car as you were noticed by other drivers as a "foreigner", in my case a "Parigot" (slang for Parisian) even though I live in the suburbs and my département isn't actually Paris, but no matter, the whole region is Paris, for some.

Then the scheme changed and the series of letters/numbers are now national ones, so the département was going to disappear from cars. I was very happy. Then there were protests, and it was decided that the département would be back, with a smaller number, and the région would also get a mention, with a logo. Damn ! Some of those logos are really ugly, too.

However it's not part of the numbering scheme so you put what you want. Still, if you get your plates with the car they'll probably have the local département and logo.

So I bought plates on the internet and my car hails from Réunion Island, in the Indian ocean. I've never even been there, although I'd like to ! I've just put it in my profile to see the result.

New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Longhornmaniac

Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:40 pm

Quoting frostyj (Reply 9):
If you are going to put up a fake flag then don't bother.

Who are you to decide what is a "fake" flag and what is "real?"

I don't recall there being any code of conduct on a.net that stipulates how one has to use the flag. What if I'm an American living in England? Am I only allowed to put up an English flag since I'm currently living there? Is it "fake" for me to put up an American flag? Or is it "fake" to put up an English flag because I'm an American. If either of those are fine, why is it also not fine to put up a temporary flag indicating my current location, if I so chose?

My advice would be to worry about what you do, and not so much what others do...

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

frostyj
Topic Author

Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:43 pm

Well to me a flag means where you are currently living so again as I said before I think they should only put that flag up.

Americans clearly have a totally different view of nationality to us.

[Edited 2014-12-22 10:43:48]

frostyj
Topic Author

Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:44 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 11):

Thats unique, France treats its territories totally different to the UK where the likes of Bermuda and the British Virgin Islands may as well be separate countries, Reunion is actually part of France.

I don't agree with the way France includes those far away places in its population.

Tugger

Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:09 pm

Quoting frostyj (Reply 13):
Well to me a flag means where you are currently living so again as I said before I think they should only put that flag up.

Well I have thought that for A.net most people fly the flag that is their nationality/heritage or location. It was never a fixed or required thing.

With all the other things going on the world why bother to pick this fight/put down people for the flag they have on A.net? It seems ludicrous.

And I truly would not be surprised if the USA does overall have a "different view of nationality" due its nature as a very mixed society with people coming from many different backgrounds, heritage, and nationalities. But I don't think that is bad or wrong or should be disparaged (at least that is how your post reads, a bit disparaging of Americans. If I have misread it please accept my apologies and clarify if you can).

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

vikkyvik

Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:15 pm

Well I just do the flag of my country where I currently live. If you are going to put up a fake flag then don't bother.

Well I just let people put up whatever flags they want. If you are going to complain about fake flags then don't bother.

You just gave me a reason to change my flag! So I won't be thought of as an American, who has a totally different view of nationality to you, in your very generalizing view.

Speaking of which, to "us"? The rest of the world? Do you speak for everyone?

Hey, we all have our opinions, and if you think that everyone should use the flag of where they currently live, then that's nice, feel free to enjoy that opinion.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

zckls04

Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:20 pm

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 4):
Also though, because quite often we don't want to be defined by our nationalities in discussions.

It's an oft-used lazy way out of a debate- "well you would think that, you're an Uzbek".....etc.

Never has a point of mine been proven so perfectly by the one I was trying to make it to so quickly as this:

Four Granavox Turbines!

flyingturtle

Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:28 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 11):
So I bought plates on the internet and my car hails from Réunion Island, in the Indian ocean. I've never even been there, although I'd like to ! I've just put it in my profile to see the result.

So you can freely chose the right-hand side of your license plate? By the way, I like those "68" on the cars here in my region. Alsace for the win!

David

PlymSpotter

Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:11 pm

What does it matter?

If a users flag of choice affects how you think of them that significantly, then you need to consider how mature your views are. British, American, Chinese... whichever, judge individuals by their online actions, character and personality, not by generalising according to the flag they choose to show.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

WestJet747

Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:14 pm

You just proved a couple posters right with that comment. You've generalized individuals based on their nationality, which of course would lead to many flying a different flag.

I'm still not fully understanding the "fly the flag of where you live" notion. I lived in Australia for a bit - I wasn't a permanent residence, I didn't have Australia citizenship, and I have never once identified myself as an Australia or felt any close ties to the country...why would I fly that flag because of an address. I'm a Canadian and always will be no matter where I reside.
Flying refined.

Aesma

Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:37 pm

I fly the flag of my "main" nationality and where I reside, however if I'm saying something as a French in a thread, I'll always mention it on top of it, and won't assume someone flying the flag of a country is either from that country or living there.

Quoting frostyj (Reply 14):
Thats unique, France treats its territories totally different to the UK where the likes of Bermuda and the British Virgin Islands may as well be separate countries, Reunion is actually part of France.

I don't agree with the way France includes those far away places in its population.

Well, as long as the people living there agree, I guess it doesn't matter ! Those "far away" places are an integral part of France, people there have the exact same passport as people here, and all French citizens can live here and there if they wish to. Someone living in Bora Bora has one vote for the presidential election, just like me. Much nicer beaches, though.

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 18):
So you can freely chose the right-hand side of your license plate? By the way, I like those "68" on the cars here in my region. Alsace for the win!

Yes. I'm more partial to another number close to your choice... 
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Rara

Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:22 pm

Quoting frostyj (Reply 14):

That's not true in all cases. Réunion is pretty much part of France, but there are other French territories which have a much greater degree of autonomy, like Saint Martin or New Caledonia.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

Aaron747

Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:12 am

Not everyone - don't paint with such a broad brush, and your opinions will be taken better by others.

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 20):
I'm still not fully understanding the "fly the flag of where you live" notion. I lived in Australia for a bit - I wasn't a permanent residence, I didn't have Australia citizenship, and I have never once identified myself as an Australia or felt any close ties to the country...why would I fly that flag because of an address. I'm a Canadian and always will be no matter where I reside.

That one really could go either way. I don't identify myself as Japanese (which would be pointless over here), but this is the country where I've built my career, friendships, and family. I could return to the States anytime, but haven't. So it makes more sense to me to fly this flag. I changed the flag back to the US one for a brief period living in Hawaii.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

YVRLTN

Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:53 am

Im English but live in Canada and will for the foreseeable and am proud to do so, so its the maple leaf for me, so I guess I get the frosty seal of approval... but I will always be proudly English (apart from World Cup time).

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 19):

What does it matter?

Dammit, if only a.net had a Devonshire flag...  
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

FlyingSicilian

Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:12 am

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 24):
Dammit, if only a.net had a Devonshire flag

Haha. But why does a.net have sub-national flags for the UK but not for other locations?
The list of "territories" seems a bit random also thought it seems to have grown.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

Braniff747SP

Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:06 am

I change my flag based off where I am at the moment (which, generally, is in the US)--I see its only purpose as demonstrating where one hails from.

It's entirely meaningless in the greater scheme of things.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

aerorobnz

Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:33 am

Originally I rotated through my latest country that I visited but then I decided to stay in Rwanda. Where I reside is irrelevant as I'm a citizen of planet earth. We are all in this together until our inevitable extinction as a species. Im not a patriot.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Elite

Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:06 am

Not really, so many "loud and proud" Engishmen living abroad make it very well known they are English, particularly when alcohol or football/cricket/rugby is involved.

ALexeu

Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:09 am

Well the flag that you are using (Ulster Banner) is not an official flag at all! Except for some sports federation like the Northern Irish football team.

As for me, I had to change to Nauruan flag, because someone has (hopefully not on purpose!) removed the flag of my home country (Serbia). I raised the issue on site related forums, but nobody replied.

PlymSpotter

Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:23 am

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 24):
Dammit, if only a.net had a Devonshire flag...

So long as the Cornish weren't also allowed one that would be brilliant  

idealstandard

Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:36 am

Who cares what flag A.netters choose to use? Does it make their postings any less valid? I think it's a pretty narrow minded discussion, there are far more important things going on to get het up on something like this.

As for me, well I have English, Scottish, American and French blood equally. I've lived in all of those places. So whilst I currently don't reside in France, it doesn't mean that I am any less entitled to use this flag.......

offloaded

Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:47 pm

Because I'm not Portuguese.

Quoting FlyingSicilian (Reply 25):
Haha. But why does a.net have sub-national flags for the UK but not for other locations?

Once upon a time there was a Scottish Nationalist who insisted, and A.net at the time was Swedish owned, and the Swedes like to be accommodating. Or so I hear.
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

frostyj
Topic Author

Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:32 pm

Quoting FlyingSicilian (Reply 25):

Because they are countries not "regions".

frostyj
Topic Author

Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:07 pm

Quoting elite (Reply 28):

I'm not English.. I am not stupid there are SOME English people like this but i'd swear you'd think everyone was slumming it according to some Americans.

I was raised to be humble and not act like i'm better than people.

vikkyvik

Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:02 pm

Quoting frostyj (Reply 34):

Coulda fooled me:

If you are going to put up a fake flag then don't bother.
I think they should only put that flag up.
but i'd swear you'd think everyone was slumming it according to some Americans.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

yowza

Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:15 pm

Forget all of the gems you've sprinkled through this thread for a second I think your contribution of "I don't really trust east european countries" on another thread pretty much tells us all we need to know sunshine.

YOWza

blueflyer

Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:14 pm

After reading this thread, I have come to the only logical conclusion: this site needs a pirate flag!

(and I just got myself a new flag, for fun!)
All Hail King Donald

zckls04

Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:51 pm

I am not stupid there are SOME English people like this but i'd swear you'd think everyone was slumming it according to some Americans.

You are a one-man irony machine!
Four Granavox Turbines!

flyingturtle

Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:29 pm

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 37):
this site needs a pirate flag!

I wholeheartedly support that. It's not like we have air piracy only since yesterday.

There should also be a pirate aviation authority that hands out pilot's licenses for individually determined sums of $$$.

David

eicvd

Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:40 pm

I think we should all change our flag on here just for fun, see how much confusion it causes.....
COYBIB

larshjort

Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:04 pm

Quoting mham001 (Reply 44):
Brilliant. What this place needs is an Ignore button

And miss all the fun   
139, 306, 319, 320, 321, 332, 34A, AN2, AT4, AT5, AT7, 733, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 146, AR1, BH2, CN1, CR2, DH1, DH3, DH4,

PlymSpotter

Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:10 pm

Regarding the English, Northern Irish, Scottish and Welsh flags being available here, this is because they are constituent countries of the United Kingdom. For the same reason you also have Greenland and The Faroes Islands appearing in addition to Denmark.

So there is no special exception here for the UK, the rule was applied consistently to include (to the best of my knowledge) all constituent country flags. It is just that there are very few examples of this in the world.

Dan  

Tugger

Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:36 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 47):
Regarding the English, Northern Irish, Scottish and Welsh flags being available here, this is because they are constituent countries of the United Kingdom. For the same reason you also have Greenland and The Faroes Islands appearing in addition to Denmark.

So there is no special exception here for the UK, the rule was applied consistently to include (to the best of my knowledge) all constituent country flags. It is just that there are very few examples of this in the world.

Thanks for the explanation! I had thought that they were similar to the State flags here in the USA. Official banners of the regions (which had yes existed as separate countries at one time but were not separate anymore) but did not realize they are still considered separate countries within the UK. Learn something everyday!

(And I actually do know the difference between the United Kingdom, Great Britain, the Commonwealth, and the British Isles. My mum being a Scot helps there, and ever since my Grandma rang my ears with: "WE ARE NOT AND NEVER HAVE BEEN ENGLAND!!!! You just don't tell a Scot that - I was like 4 or 5 at the time and I still remember it.   )

Tugg

[Edited 2014-12-23 14:37:02]

frostyj
Topic Author

Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:45 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 41):

Hey, watch it. Northern Ireland is a country where I reside and that is the flag of Northern Ireland.

frostyj
Topic Author

Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:47 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 48):

You don't tell anyone that. I also get annoyed when Americans say the 'Queen of England', a no its the Queen of the Commonwealth etc.

I don't live in England and I am not English. How would they like to be called Canadian?

[Edited 2014-12-23 14:48:01]

frostyj
Topic Author

Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:55 pm

I am not a patriotic person - don't see why a fuss should be made about a piece of soil. I am a British citizen but according to English people I am Irish and live in Ireland, most of them do not recognise our country.

If you ever watch a British question show they only really know about the geography of England. Don't seem to care about anywhere else.

Tugger

Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:58 pm

Quoting frostyj (Reply 53):
If you ever watch a British question show they only really know about the geography of England. Don't seem to care about anywhere else.

Sounds like the English were the original Americans! Or something like that... Hmmm.... I may be onto to something there.... 

Tugg

opethfan

Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:21 am

Quoting frostyj (Reply 51):
its the Queen of the Commonwealth etc.

False. The Queen is head of state of various nations, and the Head of the Commonwealth, but she is not the Queen of all nations of the Commonwealth. India and Pakistan, for instance, are republics. Elizabeth is Queen of England in the same way that Barack Obama is President of North Carolina. It's not a strictly correct usage, but it's technically not wrong.

Quoting frostyj (Reply 53):
most of them do not recognise our country.

"So many of INSERT_GROUP_HERE paint INSERT_OTHER_GROUP_HERE with the same brush! How dreadful!"

YVRLTN

Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:11 am

Quoting frostyj (Reply 51):
How would they like to be called Canadian?

That would offend Canadians  

Unless you have to fly from BHD  Honestly, non-av is a lighter kind of place, you seem quite angry, just lighten up and have a little fun and learn to accept other peoples ideas and cultures that differ from your own  
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR