Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Elite

RE: Wrong Flag So Confused.

Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:03 am

Quoting Tugger (Reply 15):
With all the other things going on the world why bother to pick this fight/put down people for the flag they have on A.net? It seems ludicrous.

This. Seriously. I can't think of a single problem that has arisen from the flag you choose to fly on A.net.

FlyingSicilian

Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:33 am

Quoting frostyj (Reply 33):
Because they are countries not "regions".

No they are not independent countries

None have separate UN membership, none have top level embassies or anything else.
You might call them a "country" (though Wales is a principality eh LOL) and get a separate world cup team but they are NOT separate countries.

That is like Bavaria still claiming to be a Free State or Texas a Republic- just names now.

Northern Ireland is not a separate independent country for purposes of discussion on an international level.

And as others have noted you are not even using an official flag in your postings. You are a citizen of the UK (of Great Britain and Northern Ireland-not just NI).
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

FlyingSicilian

Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:59 am

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 57):
Honestly, non-av is a lighter kind of place, you seem quite angry, just lighten up and have a little fun and learn to accept other peoples ideas and cultures that differ from your own

And the OP has still not fully defined, at least in some cogent way, what his point fully is.

He states the flags should be "for countries they live in". Well what does that mean? Some people live in more that one country. I have homes in three and I know people here that have homes in up to five.
Some people travel so much they are away from home more than they are there-should they fly a UN flag? LOL

Should people change the flag every time they travel?

Some on this board make blanket assumptions based on the flags as if they equal citizenship or knowledge when they do not even as they try to invalidate people's viewpoints that way.

Maybe getting rid of the flags and just having voluntary information in the member section will be easier for the OP....

They OP has every right to start the thread but the OP should not be surprised when others with different views post about.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

WestJet747

Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:34 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 23):
That one really could go either way. I don't identify myself as Japanese (which would be pointless over here), but this is the country where I've built my career, friendships, and family.

That's what I was referring to with the "close ties" comment - you clearly have a lot of positive things that would keep you in Japan. In my case, I was in another country for education, and as soon as that was done I was one a plane back to Canada.

Interestingly enough, in some ethnic neighbourhoods around where I live you'll find many individuals born and raised in Canada who would be hard-pressed to call themselves Canadian. That's their prerogative, but it's a bit confounding.

Quoting frostyj (Reply 50):
How would they like to be called Canadian?

They'd be so lucky  
Quoting frostyj (Reply 34):
I was raised to be humble and not act like i'm better than people.
Quoting frostyj (Reply 38):
Um?? I think we all know why not to trust Eastern European countries

Hmm...

Quoting elite (Reply 55):
I can't think of a single problem that has arisen from the flag you choose to fly on A.net.

Really? I can think of at least a couple American members who occasionally express great displeasure here that non-Americans would dare have an opinion on American issues.

I recall one instance where one of these members (who hasn't been active on A-net lately) went on a rant decrying another member's opinion on a particular American policy all because he was flying the flag of a European country, when in reality this member was indeed American. It was actually quite funny watching it unfold.
Flying refined.

zckls04

Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:55 pm

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 59):
Really? I can think of at least a couple American members who occasionally express great displeasure here that non-Americans would dare have an opinion on American issues.

That also happens frequently the other way around- "you Americans are all X' etc...

I don't think that's that much of a problem though. People who base their arguments on stuff like that can't really be taken seriously.
Four Granavox Turbines!

wingman

Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:39 pm

If the flag selection functionality here on A.net is confusing, and can make one so irritable, then I would say the OP has a very confusing and highly irritable life ahead of him.

So said the New Yorker living in California born in Trinidad raised in Spain and having lived in eight different countries thus far in his life, who feels some childish allegiance to Boeing but actually prefers to fly most Airbus planes. It's a real conundrum this thing called life.

Best of luck to you Mr. Frosty.

dc10bhx

Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:19 pm

Does it really matter which flag is shown. I personally could show the Irish Tricolour, the Stars and Stripes or the one shown. I think the OP needs to lighten up with regards to national identity concerning flags on this site. There are a lot more important things in the world to worry about.
I'm lucky my job is my hobby

mham001

Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:55 pm

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 53):

Of course we do, and a lot of it comes from people who incessantly wave maple leaves. Just as you would get tired of US criticizing everything in your country, if anybody cared what went on in Canada.

57AZ

Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:45 am

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 12):
In France we used to have a number on car registration plates representing the "département" where we were living. Really annoying when you traveled by car as you were noticed by other drivers as a "foreigner", in my case a "Parigot" (slang for Parisian) even though I live in the suburbs and my département isn't actually Paris, but no matter, the whole region is Paris, for some.

Some of the US states still require that the name of the county in which your automobile is registered appear on your license tag. Tennessee still applies that rule. Anyone who wasn't from Hamilton, Knox, Davidson or Shelby counties was considered to be from the stix (those counties were where the four largest cities in Tennessee were.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

frostyj
Topic Author

Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:54 am

Quoting FlyingSicilian (Reply 51):

Why is it that everytime I arrive at a mainland airport they send us through "belfast arrivals" then???
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

FlyingSicilian

Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:01 am

Quoting frostyj (Reply 59):
Why is it that everytime I arrive at a mainland airport they send us through "belfast arrivals" then???

Is that supposed to be humo(u)r or are you seriously asking that question. Do you really not know...?

frostyj
Topic Author

Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:16 am

?????? No I don't know
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

zkojq

Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:38 pm

If/when our Prime Minister gets his way and changes New Zealand's flag to the Silver Fern, I shall switch my airliners.net flag to the French tricolour.
First to fly the 787-9