Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bunumuring
Topic Author

Your Favourite Music Of 2014?

Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:58 am

Hi all,
I was asked today by a mate what my favourite music of 2014 was... Half an hour later, he got the chance to speak, lol.
I am always interested in other people's opinions of music, and religiously read and pay attention to my favourite music journalist, Cameron Adams of The Herald-Sun and Daily Telegraph, and his views.
So what was your favourite music in 2014?

Mine was easy. My favourite album was 'A New House' by the Scottish band Deacon Blue. It's an album about the Scottish independence push, but oh so indirect and subversive, just like Bruce Springsteen's 'The Rising' was about September 11.

The music is outstanding, the lyrics are thoughtful and interesting, and the singing of Ricky Ross and Lorraine McIntosh is just brilliant. My favourite song on the album is the opener, 'Bethlehem Begins'. Simply superb... Even the video for the one track released as a single, 'A New House', is fantastic: check it out on YouTube!

I can't recommend this album highly enough. Do yourself a favor and check it out (with a tip of the hat to Molly)

I also really liked U2's 'Songs of Innocence' and the rerelease of Oasis' 'What's the Story Morning Glory' three-disc edition with all the bonus tracks, outtakes, b-sides, live tracks etc.

Of 'singles', I loved 'Geronimo' by Sheppard, 'You Ruin Me' by the Veronicas and the seemingly ubiquitous 'Happy' by Pharrell Williams. I also absolutely loved 'Out of the Woods' by Taylor Swift, which is the first song of hers to have pinged on my music radar: that song seemed to have been written about me and my last 6 months!

Music that came out in 2014 that I haven't caught up with yet include Annie Lennox's 'Nostalgia' album (which my parents bought for me as a Christmas present but I... Ummmm... Lost the cd somehow, and music from Kate Bush's 'Before the Dawn' concerts in London which will surely turn up on CD or DVD at some point soon.

So, over to you...

Cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

aerdingus

RE: Your Favourite Music Of 2014?

Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:19 pm

Lazaretto by Jack White!

Got the chance to come home and see him in Dublin as well with The Kills, what a gig (even though it pissed rain for hours).

A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

Braybuddy

Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:04 pm

Only Love Can Hurt Like This

Class, pure class.

Take Me To Church

Ditto. Technically the year before, but became a big hit internationally in 2014

Aesma

Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:09 pm

Sonic Highways by Foo Fighters

El Pintor by Interpol

Complètement fou by Yelle

Chaleur Humaine by Christine and the Queens

out in 2013 but discovered in 2014 and the album I listened to the most last year :

If You Wait by London Grammar
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

JAGflyer

Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:01 pm

SAGA released a new album "Sagacity" this year which I found to be great. It included a few live tracks from their 2013 performance at a German rock festival. I'm sure a lot of our European members will know of this band. Despite them being from Canada, their biggest following by far is in Germany.
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

29erUSA187

Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:46 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 2):
Take Me To Church

Definitely this one.

Second place is maybe "I Bet My Life" or "Guts over Fear" (Cant get much better than Eminem)

WestJet747

Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:34 am

I listen to electronic music almost exclusively, so my knowledge of non-electronic music is largely derived from what I hear on X Factor UK (my guilty pleasure). Since albums are fewer and farther between in the world of electronic music, I sadly have a smaller pool to choose from. With that said...

Albums

1. Porter Robinson - Worlds
2. Skrillex - Recess
3. deadmau5 - While (1 - 2)

Tracks

1. Au5 - Follow You (feat. Danyka Nadeau) (VIP Mix)
2. Rogue - Atlantic
3. Nom De Strip - Grandma

Plus countless others that I can think of off the top of my head. Juventa's Woolloomooloo would be on there, but according to the label the official release date is January 2015, despite the song being available online since early December 2014.

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 2):
Take Me To Church

Great tune. I recently saw his Victoria's Secret Fashion Show performance on TV and I actually liked that version better than the recorded one.

Another song I enjoyed this year that happened to make an appearance at said fashion show was Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran. That guy is such a class act.
Flying refined.

zippyjet

Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:17 am

My vote goes to Sharon Jones and The Dap Kings "Retreat." There's other stuff which I'll remember and share later. Happy New Year.  
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!