Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyguy89

12 Shot Dead In Paris Terrorist Attack - Part 1

Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:20 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 89):
Now that I'm home watching on big screens I'm realizing I misplaced the magazine address, it is (was) actually much closer than I thought to where I've lived in Paris as a student, it's all of 150 meters away !   

And I was in the exact street the other day looking for a parking spot. My uncle lives there.

Indeed, I was suprised to see this had happened right near where I used to live as well, I must have walked past their offices dozens of times. Just crazy. Paix à leurs âmes.

[Edited 2015-01-07 10:35:04]

mariner

Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:27 pm

Quoting giancavia (Reply 98):
Indeed Mariner, There has been a great reaction from cartoonist around the world standing in solidarity and drawins along the same lines. I am glad they didnt fall silent in fear.

As the editor said - I prefer to die on my feet than live on my knees.

mariner
aeternum nauta

casinterest

Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:28 pm

Pathetic and senseless tragedy.
My heart goes out to the family and friends of those affected.

The scary part is that they got away and they seem well equipped.
Where ever you go, there you are.

mercure1

Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:31 pm

Tragic event, but maybe not a real shock.
Charlie Hebdo has long been pushing boundaries of what some consider appropriate and clearly have made themselves targets. As media reports indicate there have been many threats for many years even including bombing of its offices prior in 2011.
mercure f-wtcc

Kiwirob

Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:41 pm

Quoting JJJ (Reply 87):

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest that the perpetrators are French-born and with a French passport.

It doesn't make them French and that's the problem. Same as the 7/7 bombers, born and educated in the UK but with no allegiance to where they come from, just their religion. That's what people fail to understand with these people they live with us but they are not part of us.

Quoting mercure1 (Reply 103):
Charlie Hebdo has long been pushing boundaries of what some consider appropriate and clearly have made themselves targets.

Yup but the Pope hasn't sent in the Swiss Guards to kill all the staff.

GIANCAVIA

Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:42 pm

They brought nothing on themselves. You have no right as a Human not to be offended. Time the sky fairy people accepted that.

bennett123

Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:43 pm

Clearly they have known the risks for years.

True courage is knowing the risks, and still telling the truth.

GIANCAVIA

Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:45 pm

http://mashable.com/2015/01/07/cartoonists-react-hebd-massacre/

Fantastic fight back by the artists, Never be silenced.

JJJ

Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:48 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 104):
That's what people fail to understand with these people they live with us but they are not part of us.

That's irrelevant to the issue of bringing justice on them.

MD11Engineer

Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:53 pm

Quoting JJJ (Reply 108):
Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 104):
That's what people fail to understand with these people they live with us but they are not part of us.

That's irrelevant to the issue of bringing justice on them.

That is the point. There exists only one law and one constitution. It is man-made and will not be superseeded by one based on invisible sky pixies.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

MD11Engineer

Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:58 pm

Tragic event, but maybe not a real shock.
Charlie Hebdo has long been pushing boundaries of what some consider appropriate and clearly have made themselves targets. As media reports indicate there have been many threats for many years even including bombing of its offices prior in 2011.

Just like thousands of others who died over centuries for the freedoms we take for granted.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a7/Eug%C3%A8ne_Delacroix_-_La_libert%C3%A9_guidant_le_peuple.jpg/757px-Eug%C3%A8ne_Delacroix_-_La_libert%C3%A9_guidant_le_peuple.jpg

Jan

Dreadnought

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:18 pm

Charlie Hebdo has long been pushing boundaries of what some consider appropriate and clearly have made themselves targets.

Charlie Hebdo is precisely the type of free speech that must be protected at all costs, and in fact is the sort of free speech that was specifically intended to be protected by the First Amendment in the US and various constitutions around the world in modern countries. Nothing, not politicians, religions or anything else should be considered "off-limits" for satire and criticism.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

GIANCAVIA

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:18 pm

Trafalgar square is absolutely jam packed with people holding je suis charlie signs.

flanker

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:19 pm

AHHHHHHHHHHHH... the religion of peace strikes again. Naturaly the apologists/appeasers are at it once again.

Aither

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:19 pm

All religions have radicals.

But only one make the headlines.
Never trust the obvious

LAXintl

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:24 pm

I don't know about France, but in the U.S, freedom of expression is not absolute including the media.

Speech, gestures, writing, displays or conduct that may incite violence, disparages, prejudice against a group can be determined to be what is considered "hate speech".

While media is free to do its business, there needs to be some form of self censorship to avoid situations that can be inflammatory.

From what the U.S. media is reporting, it seems Charlie Hebdo has long been on an anti-Islam crusade and purposely sought to create controversy and stoke fire.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

damirc

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:24 pm

I'm pretty much on the extreme left. Will tolerate and try to understand a lot. But here is where my understanding stops.

If it is okay to kill journalists in the countries of their origins that is fine with me - their castle, their rules. But they are living in our castle now - our rules apply. Don't like them? No problem. I am willing to chip in for one way tickets to their country of origins.

As far as today's shooters go - I can find only one word for them ... scum.

I am certain that the majority of Muslims in Europe are not of the same mindset. But at this point in time we need their help in weeding out those that have the same mindset.

What follows is the reaction of several French Twitter users that I presume would be better served by moving to their respective countries. As offered before - if they lack funds to do so - willing to help.

http://i.imgur.com/BLGuJuB.jpg

D.

MD11Engineer

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:27 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 115):

From what the U.S. media is reporting, it seems Charlie Hebdo has long been on an anti-Islam crusade and purposely sought to create controversy and stoke fire.

Charlie Hebdo takes the piss off everybody.

Jan

GIANCAVIA

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:27 pm

Sounds like you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. They mock everyone and everything like all good satirical publications. I would be ashamed to be associated with your comment.

AustrianZRH

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:33 pm

I personally - even as an atheist - think it is inappropriate to make fun of other people's beliefs, including those Mohammed caricatures. But the appropriate response to such publications is to yell/write/post that you think they are morons that should rot in hell. Not pulling out AK-47s and shoot them with a couple of cops on top. Nothing - NOTHING - can justify to kill over some sketches published in a stupid rag.
WARNING! The post above should be taken with a grain of salt! Furthermore, it may be slightly biased towards A.

mariner

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:34 pm

"Crusade"?

The only "crusade" at Charlie Hebdo is to poke fun at ALL authority - Muslims, yes, and Jews and the Pope and French politicians - anyone is grist to their mill.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/...oons_translated_and_explained.html

They are satirists and that's what satirists do. They even poked fun at themselves.

mariner
aeternum nauta

Maverick623

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:36 pm

Speech, gestures, writing, displays or conduct that may incite violence, disparages, prejudice against a group can be determined to be what is considered "hate speech".

Patently false. The only restriction on speech remotely close to what you claim is actually inciting violence.

there needs to be some form of self censorship to avoid situations that can be inflammatory.

Bullshit.

Ah, yes, blame the victim. You're disgusting.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

foxxray

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:37 pm

If it's what US media are reporting, then stop listening to them. It seems they don't know what they are talking about.

Quoting damirc (Reply 116):
What follows is the reaction of several French Twitter users that I presume would be better served by moving to their respective countries. As offered before - if they lack funds to do so - willing to help.

Shocking and i'm sure that those Twitter users are just the tip of the iceberg. Nothing else than violence.

Acheron

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:37 pm

This seems far more ofensive than any of Mohamed cartoons, yet no one went to shoot the place up...

http://imworld.aufeminin.com/story/20130224/charlie-hebdo-une-14309_w1000.jpg

lewis

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:39 pm

Quoting damirc (Reply 116):

Quoting AustrianZRH (Reply 119):
But the appropriate response to such publications is to yell/write/post that you think they are morons that should rot in hell

Or move to a country where freedom of speech is not a thing and where specific religious beliefs and behaviors are better catered to or even allowed.

mercure1

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:42 pm

Charlie Hebdo has long been on an anti-Islam crusade and purposely sought to create controversy and stoke fire.

Yes they seem to have made a point of digging in deeper and deeper into the topic. But I suppose they are looking for attention, so they more they get, more they push the envelope.

While media is free to do its business, there needs to be some form of self censorship to avoid situations that can be inflammatory.

Political correctness is not part of their modus operandi.

Quoting md11engineer (Reply 117):
Charlie Hebdo takes the piss off everybody.

Yes they do, and unfortunately their actions have reactions. Very terrible ones this time.
mercure f-wtcc

SoJo

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:46 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 85):
The way Saddam, the Aliyevs, and all the other dictators in Muslim countries do, fight them, capture them, kill them, kill there families, crush them until there are none left to cause problems.

Probably the best response so far. The UK is way to soft on these nutters. But, we are told, we need to take more. Hell has frozen over and the Devil has risen to new heights (and lows). Thank goodness I'm 67 and won't have to see the world fall into the hands of these t*ats.
RAF Abingdon 1967. I met Beverley from Blackburn. Fantastic!

bennett123

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:47 pm

I find the cartoon in reply 123pretty offensive.

Frankly, also hard to work out what point they are making.

No pun intended.

lewis

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:52 pm

Quoting mercure1 (Reply 125):
Yes they do, and unfortunately their actions have reactions.

Correct, actions have reactions. I am hoping to see a stronger "re-action" this time from the side of free western societies against the people who do not value and respect the freedoms and rights those societies offer. I hope they start showing them the door. Better late than never.

AirPacific747

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:52 pm

You're a Muslim with an American flag and your post shows as well. If you don't like our freedom of speech, go back to where you or your parents came from.

tommy1808

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:56 pm

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 127):
Frankly, also hard to work out what point they are making

They expend the gap marriage discussion by indicting that the holy spirit is in fact bisexual, and not heterosexual as the bible wants to make us believe. ..

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

MD11Engineer

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:57 pm

This article says it all:
http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/culture...ousedaily/2015/01/je-suis-charlie/

Btw., I get fed up of being considered a Nazi supporter if I critizise Islamist radicals and an apologist for Muslim radicals if It critizise Nazis.

Jan

11Bravo

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:58 pm

It is self evident that Muslims do not get the concepts of pluralism, openness, and tolerance. That is why the countries of the Middle East are so awful in the first place. It is long past due to stop all immigration from the Middle East to western Europe and North America. It's time to start sending these people back to their crappy dictatorships/monarchies.
WhaleJets Rule!

tommy1808

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:03 pm

Quoting lewis (Reply 128):
m the side of free western societies against the people who do not value and respect the freedoms and rights those societies offer. I hope they start showing them the door. Better late than never.

If memory serves we even tried full scale conventional warfare for quite a bit now and the only measurable response is a drastic increase in terrorists and terror strikes. .. so, what are you suggesting as a stronger reaction? Nukes?

And especially which response that is in line with our understanding of human rights and freedoms....

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

LAXintl

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:05 pm

Charlie Hebo was free to pursue its field. Obviously they chose one that was like playing with fire in today's world.
But hey, they stood by their sword accepted the good and bad that came with their work. In this case they tragically fell on their sword.

Quoting giancavia (Reply 118):
I would be ashamed to be associated with your comment.

Nothing to be ashamed of.

This is a discussion board where we can express various views no?

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 129):
You're a Muslim with an American flag and your post shows as well. If you don't like our freedom of speech, go back to where you or your parents came from.

wrong assumption.

Quoting foxxray (Reply 122):
If it's what US media are reporting, then stop listening to them. It seems they don't know what they are talking about.

OK how about British media? BBC says the magazine had a long history of controversy with Islamic community.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

SOBHI51

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:05 pm

I am angry, ashamed and sad. Only the weak use force to achieve there goals. I was also sad about the stupid depiction of the Prophet in Hebdo, felt it was in bad taste, but killing 12 people some of them have nothing to do with the drawings is a terrible crime. I am going to say in face of this criminal act, I AM Charlie.
May all the victims of this terrorist act RIP.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

mariner

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:06 pm

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 127):
I find the cartoon in reply 123pretty offensive.

It is anyone's absolute right to be offended.

It is not anyone's right to kill the cartoonists for causing that offence..

mariner
aeternum nauta

Aither

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:12 pm

How would you consider this picture showing the prophet sorry to be loved by integrists ? "it's tough to be loved by ass h*"
Is that insulting ?

http://p4.storage.canalblog.com/48/15/754885/69726704.jpg
Never trust the obvious

SoJo

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:13 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 135):
I am angry, ashamed and sad. Only the weak use force to achieve there goals. I was also sad about the stupid depiction of the Prophet in Hebdo, felt it was in bad taste, but killing 12 people some of them have nothing to do with the drawings is a terrible crime. I am going to say in face of this criminal act, I AM Charlie.
May all the victims of this terrorist act RIP.

You, as always, are the voice of reason. If only the fanatics had your sense of reasoning the world would be a much better place to live in.

A332DTW

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:14 pm

You know, I was always under the assumption that those with love for aviation would be more tolerant, open-minded and educated than most. After all this is an industry that connects so many people. I was very naive.

My condolences and sympathies go out to the victims and their families, and my condemnation of such a heinous attack.

slider

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:15 pm

My prayers to the victims and their families. This is just awful to see. And the stories of just outright executing a cop on the street who was injured and had his hands up is appalling. Today, I stand in support of good Frenchmen who condemn this and take a stand to fight for their homeland, their culture and their nation.

I hope we don't run the risk of anesthetizing ourselves to such barbaric acts of violence since they happen with such frequency.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 54):
France is one of the only western nations that doesn't mollycoddle and acquiesce to the desires of immigrants from Muslim countries. It's a shame more western nations don't embrace their approach.

Europe’s 50 countries have roughly 38M Muslims, 5% of total population. Germany has more than 4M Muslims, as many as North/South American combined (strangely, that means Germany has more Muslims than Lebanon does) and puts it in top 10 of nations with largest number of muslims living there as minorities. France has a slightly higher percentage of Muslims than Germany, but estimated slightly fewer Muslims overall, although the French data comes from general population surveys which aren’t always reliable.

France had higher birth rates than most of Europe, but has now fallen below the ‘replacement’ level of 2 children per. Muslim birth rates are much higher. This makes for a demographic timebomb.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 111):
Charlie Hebdo is precisely the type of free speech that must be protected at all costs, and in fact is the sort of free speech that was specifically intended to be protected by the First Amendment in the US and various constitutions around the world in modern countries. Nothing, not politicians, religions or anything else should be considered "off-limits" for satire and criticism.

YES!

Quoting giancavia (Reply 112):
Trafalgar square is absolutely jam packed with people holding je suis charlie signs.

I hope this shocks the UK into action as well. They're really hosed with islamic immigration.

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 132):
It is self evident that Muslims do not get the concepts of pluralism, openness, and tolerance.

BOOM. And that's the key--they NEVER have. Let me repeat that, they NEVER HAVE. In their entire radical existence since 632 A.D., they've contributed nothing, created nothing, destroyed almost everything they've touched, have a proven historical and factual track record of never being able to coexist in any other culture.

Total intolerance of any dissenting opinion or lifestyle, yet they demand conformance and accommodation to theirs.

I hope France uses this tragedy as a means to secure themselves against such terrorists.

GIANCAVIA

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:16 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 134):
Nothing to be ashamed of.

This is a discussion board where we can express various views no?

Sure thing, You share the view of Religious fanatics. Take a moment and have a look around you. Every news source, Every social media outlet where people can have a say. Overwhelmingly against the statement you have just backed. The only ones making your point are hate preachers. Congratulations. How embarrassing.

SoJo

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:18 pm

OK how about British media? BBC says the magazine had a long history of controversy with Islamic community.

Does that make the British media right? Usually they're not in a lot of cases. Do you believe all US media?

foxxray

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:19 pm

Yes they seem to have made a point of digging in deeper and deeper into the topic. But I suppose they are looking for attention, so they more they get, more they push the envelope.

Stop saying cr*p !!!! Did you ever read their magazine ?!!

Political correctness is not part of their modus operandi.

Definitely, you never read Charlie Hebdo.
And what the point of being a satirical magazine without being satirical ?!

Do you want the definition of a "satire" ?

Here we go : "Satire is a genre of literature, and sometimes graphic and performing arts, in which vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, corporations, government or society itself, into improvement. Although satire is usually meant to be humorous, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon and as a tool to draw attention to both particular and wider issues in society."

Yes they do, and unfortunately their actions have reactions. Very terrible ones this time.

You blame the victims ? Are you one of the Twitter users that damirc shows a few post above ?!
Shocking.

lewis

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:22 pm

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 133):
If memory serves we even tried full scale conventional warfare for quite a bit now and the only measurable response is a drastic increase in terrorists and terror strikes. .. so, what are you suggesting as a stronger reaction? Nukes?

And especially which response that is in line with our understanding of human rights and freedoms....

I am not talking about taking measures outside our countries. They can all blow each other to pieces in their countries and their Islamic domain for all I care. As soon as they step foot in a western democratic country and/or decide to become citizens they should forget all about what was acceptable and what was not in the countries or culture that they came from. Looking at some of the tweets of those "French" people a few posts up, I fail to see why they would be considered "French" at all. They are French by birth but have zero respect for anything that France and the republic stand for. They should be encouraged to move out and seek citizenship in a country that caters to their barbaric and undemocratic beliefs, not having a whole country bending backwards so that their whatever beliefs are not used in satire. There are many prosperous Muslim countries out there for them to go to.

As for my understanding of human rights and freedoms, I find it funny that people who have no respect for either want to be treated under their blanket.

lewis

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:25 pm

Yes because the Islamic community is the one who is always offended and screams threats all the time. Looking at their covers, I see various groups being used as subjects, yet only one is causing a "controversy". Ever crossed your mind that the issue lies with that specific group?

AirPacific747

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:26 pm

Nope, just a good memory from previous posts made by you  

SoJo

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:27 pm

One more thing to say:- Je suis Charlie.

mercure1

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:27 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 140):
In their entire radical existence since 632 A.D., they've contributed nothing, created nothing, destroyed almost everything they've touched, have a proven historical and factual track record of never being able to coexist in any other culture.

Talk about ignorance and intolerance.

Islamic world with ages of great civilizations has brought mankind many things from sciences to medicine, to arts, to food, engineering etc.
mercure f-wtcc

Azure

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:30 pm

Guys, if we follow your logics, then this will happen

This cartoon will appear in the New Yorker.

What is at stake here is the freedom of speech. And as matter of fact, the cartoons by Charlie Hebdo have shocked many more christians than muslims in France. I have never bought a single issue of this magazine and I am not a fan of their provocative stands but I am concerned that you somehow justify today's attacks.

French media report that the 3 terrorists have been identified. Aged between 18 and 34. The two older ones are brothers. Two apartments in the suburbs of Paris were searched this evening

Seems the police is on a lead already.

[Edited 2015-01-07 12:38:58]

[Edited 2015-01-07 12:39:32]