Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UAEflyer
Topic Author

2 Weeks Visit To Japan (tourism)

Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:25 am

I'm planning a tourist visit to Japan for 2 weeks , starting in Osaka for 4 nights than Kyoto 3 nights, finally Tokyo for 7 nights, timing will be last 2 weeks of March
It is the first visit to Japan and I have no idea about ten country and the culture.

I have no idea where to stay, which hotels. I Would prefer a reasonable 5 star hotels, we are 2 adults and a 2 years old baby.

Your recommendations are appreciated

SOBHI51

RE: 2 Weeks Visit To Japan (tourism)

Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:45 pm

Quoting UAEflyer (Thread starter):

I only visited Tokyo, stayed at the Grand Hyatt and the Park Hyatt, beautiful hotels, but expensive.

Okura hotel is very good also and about half price than the Hyatt's

ANA hotels have rooms on the small side not advised with an infant

Have a nice trip
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

fallap

Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:02 pm

Seven nights seems a bit to much for Tokyo, what about Hiroshima just for the sake of history?  
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

DocLightning

Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:23 pm

We stayed at the Cerulean in Shibuya, which is a nice hotel and also is right near a major train and subway station. Amazing (if expensive) breakfast buffet.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Aaron747

Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:13 pm

If you're not sure what you want to see, you'll want to be staying in areas that make getting around easiest.

How will you be traveling between cities, by the way?

In these areas that would be:

starting in Osaka for 4 nights

Look for hotels in the Umeda (Osaka station) or Namba / Shinsaibashi area. There are recently some new hotels near the Tennoji station, which is also very accessible to the rest of town.

Some tourists also enjoy staying in the Osaka Castle Park area.

Kyoto 3 nights

In Kyoto it will be essential to have subway access otherwise you will be taking buses and cabs all over the place.

Therefore it is best if you are staying at Kyoto station, Karasuma, or Sanjo. There is also the Westin Miyako hotel, but that is near Keage station on the eastern edge of the main tourist area.

Tokyo for 7 nights

Look for hotels near the major stations of the JR Yamanote line - these will be accessible to anywhere in the city and will also have access to multiple subway lines.

Basically: Shinjuku, Shibuya, Ebisu, Shinagawa, Shimbashi, Yurakucho, Ueno

reasonable 5 star hotels

What is reasonable to you? Actual 5-star hotels here will run $350-$450/night.

Basically there are a lot of hotels here that have largish rooms (for Japan) and good amenities that run between $150-$200/night.

These are some Japanese booking sites that have service in English and may have different stock than you can find in the usual websites:

http://www.jalan.net/en/japan_hotels_ryokan/?cc=eng_banner

http://travel.rakuten.com/

[Edited 2015-01-17 15:16:10]
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Severnaya

Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:35 pm

I'm planning a tourist visit to Japan for 2 weeks , starting in Osaka for 4 nights than Kyoto 3 nights, finally Tokyo for 7 nights, timing will be last 2 weeks of March

Nice, however 7 nights in TYO is too much in my opinion, we stayed in total for 4 nights in Tokyo last year (3 and later 1 night) and had the feeling we've visited the top spots. How about a day or two to Nikko or somewhere in the Japanese Alps?

We stayed in Osaka in the Cross Hotel Osaka, which we highly enjoyed and which I can recommend. In Kyoto we stayed at the Karasuma Kyoto hotel, the room we had was a little dated, however large for Japanese standards. In Tokyo we stayed at the Tokyo Prince, also a little dated, but very good located.

Quoting Fallap (Reply 2):
what about Hiroshima just for the sake of history?

Hiroshima is nice to visit the war memorials and visiting Miyajima, however this can be done easily on a day trip from Osaka with the Shinkansen.
Всяк глядит, да не всяк видит.

Aaron747

Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:18 am

Also if you have the cash to spare, I have to recommend the Hoshinoya resorts. It is a completely unforgettable experience.

www.hoshinoya.com
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

PHX787

Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:58 pm

I looooove Osaka.

If you meet someone there, say "NAN DE YA NEN!" and they'll love you forever.

Nikko Hotel on Midosuji Dori is perfect. I recommend.

Washington Hotel is perfect in Tokyo. It's right in the heart of Shinjuku.

Suggestions- Osaka- Universal Studios.
Osaka Castle,
Any Mino Beer Bar
Dotombori
Tsutenkaku
The Zoo

Tokyo:
Meiji Jingu, Yoyogi Park, Harajuku
Shibuya- That's my homestead! Take a picture of the huge crosswalk like the other tourists! and I recommend Goodbeer Faucets.
Yokohama is beautiful. 30 minutes from Shibs on the Shonan Shinjuku Line.
Tokyo Station, Marunouchi Area, the Imperial Palace
Ueno, Ueno Zoo, try stopping by the station around 4PM for the nighttime train. Dont ride it, just photograph it! 
Tokyo Skytree is a must. It's so cool!
If you dont wanna pay for the observatory tho, Shinjuku Tocho (City Hall) has a free observatory on top.
For other suggestions, please see this thread on the travel forum.
Coming To Tokyo? PHX787's Tokyo Travel Tips! (by PHX787 Nov 17 2014 in Aviation Polls)
Go to rentafone Japan (google them) and grab a mobile wifi from them. It's a must.
Also, try to get a Suica or a Japan Rail Pass.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 3):
We stayed at the Cerulean in Shibuya, which is a nice hotel and also is right near a major train and subway station. Amazing (if expensive) breakfast buffet.

Ive stayed there too. It's beautiful, and nearby where I live too. We can hang out and grab a brew or 2  
last 2 weeks of March

I'll be here. Message me if you want a tour buddy! 
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

gocaps16

Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:26 am

I'm heading to NRT right now on DL275 from DTW currently at FL340. It's nice that Delta has provided wifi on international flights. Makes this 13 hour journey fairly quick. Just braggin'.  

PHX787

Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:39 am

Quoting gocaps16 (Reply 8):
I'm heading to NRT right now on DL275 from DTW currently at FL340. It's nice that Delta has provided wifi on international flights. Makes this 13 hour journey fairly quick. Just braggin'.

Is it free?

I'm flying that route next month.

TheSonntag

Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:06 am

Quoting Severnaya (Reply 5):
Hiroshima is nice to visit the war memorials and visiting Miyajima, however this can be done easily on a day trip from Osaka with the Shinkansen.

Indeed, maybe its worth visiting Himeji Castle on the way, too. The Hiroshima memorial and Miyajima are both absolutely worth visiting.

Osaka is a concrete desert. I much preferred Kyoto, with an additional trip to Nara.

Aaron747

Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:33 pm

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 10):
Osaka is a concrete desert. I much preferred Kyoto, with an additional trip to Nara.

Speak for yourself my friend, Osaka is an exciting metropolis with more to offer than you can imagine and I can't wait to be moving there in 2 months.

http://blog.osakanight.com/img/osaka_amanogawa2014_06.jpg

http://blog.osakanight.com/img/harukas300night_01.jpg

PHX787

Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:30 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 11):
Speak for yourself my friend, Osaka is an exciting metropolis with more to offer than you can imagine and I can't wait to be moving there in 2 months.

Osaka is by far my favorite town in Japan.

Eat as much as you can while there

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 10):
with an additional trip to Nara.

I love Nara too. The girls are amazing  

allrite

Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:00 pm

I've been joking lately that I'm going to stop telling people to visit Japan and start discouraging them. Three months out from my next trip and already hotels are getting booked out - Never been this bad for me before except on the odd public holiday or Kyoto!

I Would prefer a reasonable 5 star hotels, we are 2 adults and a 2 years old baby.

I've been visiting with my family every year since my son was 4 months old, so you may find some information of interest on my blog:

http://travel.allrong.net/search/label/Japan
Specifically: First time in Japan?, Holidays with young kids in Japan.

Something that I recommended to colleagues asking me about Japan yesterday was to consider Matsumoto and (with the new Shinkansen route opening March 14) Kanazawa as potential long day trips from Tokyo, though Kanazawa especially deserves a longer stay than that - love that city.

I would also recommend not over packing - bring as little as you can as space can be limited in many hotels and on trains. Huge cases are a true pain to lug around. Sharing a bed with your kid will save you a lot of money in hotels. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.
I like artificial banana essence!

PHX787

Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:48 am

Quoting allrite (Reply 13):
I've been joking lately that I'm going to stop telling people to visit Japan and start discouraging them. Three months out from my next trip and already hotels are getting booked out - Never been this bad for me before except on the odd public holiday or Kyoto!

U kidding me? I'm leaving tomorrow for a two day trip to Shikoku and I was able to get a hotel at the JAL City (a relatively nice hotel mind you) for $50!

(with the new Shinkansen route opening March 14) Kanazawa as potential long day trips from Tokyo, though Kanazawa especially deserves a longer stay than that - love that city.

Im gonna be there next month! That new Shinkansen is gonna be fun.

Aaron747

Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:54 am

Three months out from my next trip and already hotels are getting booked out - Never been this bad for me before except on the odd public holiday or Kyoto!

The weak yen is encouraging a lot of weekend visits from Taiwanese and Koreans. Hotels are more full now than I've seen in all my years here.

allrite

Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:09 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 14):
U kidding me? I'm leaving tomorrow for a two day trip to Shikoku and I was able to get a hotel at the JAL City (a relatively nice hotel mind you) for $50!

This is for April, mainly in Tokyo and Osaka. (And Takayama, but it's the Matsuri there when we are going so I already knew that would be packed - though back in 2006 we rocked up, ignorant of the event, on the day and got a good hotel right near the station thanks to the tourist office.   This time we are showing our son). There's still accommodation, especially if you are comfortable with Japanese only hotels away from the main centres, but a lot of the foreign hotel websites are showing low availability. I suspect that rooms are being consolidated by Japanese (and other?) travel agents and may hopefully be released again later on.

Not sure about Shikoku. Hope that the tourist don't overrun there. I love Shikoku.

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 15):
The weak yen is encouraging a lot of weekend visits from Taiwanese and Koreans. Hotels are more full now than I've seen in all my years here.

Anecdotally, I know of plenty of Australians and a few Malaysians too.
I like artificial banana essence!

AOMlover

Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:31 am

If you have time, make a trip to Nagano and especially the Togakushi area.

Nagano may not be Japan's most exciting city (though they have a temple where you can get "eternal salvation") but the surroundings are wonderful. It's not very far from Tokyo (1.5 hour on the Shinkansen) and spending a night there will probably be one of the highlights of your trip:

http://www.oshiryokan.com/eng1.htm

I was there last weekend. I've been to Japan more than 10 times and Oshi Ryokan was definitely the best place I have stayed in. The owner, Hidenori Oshi, is such a sweet guy and the food is amazing (his wife and his mother do the cooking). He speaks good English and he loves to take his guests around in his Peugeot car. That's really an experience I would recommend to anyone going to Japan.

From Nagano you can easily go down to Matsumoto and Takayama.

Have fun in this wonderful country.

PHX787

Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:37 am

Quoting allrite (Reply 16):
Not sure about Shikoku. Hope that the tourist don't overrun there. I love Shikoku.

IDK after seeing my Shikoku tours videos on my YouTube channel, we might have some of my subs overruning there   

I'm gonna go back to Kochi this summer for their matsuri!