Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

duke
Topic Author

Your Hairstyle And Your Motivations For It

Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:32 am

What are your motivations for wearing your hair and (if applicable) facial hair the way you do - and how do you wear it at present?

I have been a "longhair" for most of my adult life and it's something I'm very committed to. My hair is somewhat past chin-length and cut one length (I trim it myself) and I have a full beard which I keep short. Thus, I look somewhat like a Che Guevara or moderate hippie type. My reasons for looking like this are that 1) I have always liked hirsuiteness on men 2) I don't like the shape of my face, which has quite pronounced features 3) I never enjoyed going to a barbershop or hairdresser's. Cutting it one length myself proved easier to do at home 4) I prefer the feeling of long hair to that of short hair 5) I don't need to pass sharp objects over my face every morning.

Although as far as I can recall I didn't deliberately grow my hair to "rebel" at least not primarily, I am at the same time glad to have long hair because it makes me one more guy who won't conform to the stupid prejudice that men should wear their hair short. Also, I refuse to follow fashion. I look the way I look because it's who I am and pride myself on having my distinct appearance.

At 35, I still have few gray hairs. However, I think that if I went completely gray tomorrow, I wouldn't do anything about it. I like chemical-free hair.

jetwet1

RE: Your Hairstyle And Your Motivations For It

Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:56 am

Growing up in the 80's, I was very much a hair metal guy, my hair was long, I mean middle of my back long, when I started working I would just tuck it down the back of my shirt.

After a while it became to much of a pain, so I chopped it and donated it.

I've been wearing my hair short for the past 20 years, just because it's easier to deal with.

Right now, i'm growing my hair out, only because I am stuck at home for 7 more weeks, once I can drive again I will get it cut.

B777LRF

Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:00 am

I'm a bloke, blokes don't have 'hair styles'. About once a month I venture down the hairdressers, she does her thing and I've got a bit less hair on my head when I leave.
Signature. You just read one.

bunumuring

Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:41 pm

I have had facial hair of some description since I was 16, and caused trauma wth my high school principal because facial hair on students at the time was not addressed by the very strict 'uniform and appearance code' of my high school.
I have had full beards, goatees, moustaches, 'lamb chop' sideburns, George Michael style stubble etc etc...
ATM, I have a longish goatee that doesn't go above my jawline, with a jawline 'run' of stubble from ear to ear. I'm growing my hair for the first time after about 10 years of having a shaved head... On the advice of many many people. I intend growing it 'fashionably long' at the top, and very short to shaved down the sides...
When I was a baby/toddler, I had extremely tight curls all over my head, platinum blond curls at that... And I hated them intensely. Although greying, my hair is so thick and wavy now it's actually exciting, lol!
Cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

flyingturtle

Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:51 pm

From time to time, the hair must be cut.

That's the only condition... there is no "style", as somebody rightly pointed out. 

...for about ten years of my life, I cut my own hair. With a set of scissors.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

planewasted

Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:14 pm

I trim my hair to 1 mm once a week. I'm half bald and everything else looks ugly.
I don't have any beard except for a fluff of hair on my underlip. Just to stand out a little bit at least...

It's easy to maintain and my girlfriend like it.  

[Edited 2015-01-19 05:15:47]

einsteinboricua

Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:25 pm

Back in school I used to go to a stylist every month. The hair would be relaxed (with chemicals), cut, and styled (which would only last about 3 days before I needed to wash it). I have sort of wavy/curly hair so there's only so much the hair can grow before it grows into an afro. In later years I would alternate between keratin and relaxing, but again it only lasted so long. I always wanted to sport tips, but being in a private school didn't allow me that freedom and my mom was against the idea too.

During one of my last semesters in college I did a buzz cut with a friend. The goal was to shave, but we settled with just the clippers and no comb. I must say I'm eager to sport that look again when spring arrives. In the meantime, a simple #1 on the sides and #2 on the top.

As for facial hair, I'm lazy. I want to sport a chinstrap but I don't like going through the hassle of maintaining it. When considering that I'm also not consistent (one side may be thinner than the other), the whole idea just goes away. For the time being, either a scruff by trimming it close but not completely), a goatee, a goatee/mustache combo, a soul patch (always there), or designer's stubble if I shaved.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

na

Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:43 pm

Relatively short to relatively long, the length of my hair changes all the time as I am only going to the hairdresser about three times a year. I dont like it if its always the same. But I never change my style. Imho most men who "style" their hair look ridiculous. Its ok for some adolescents who need to define themself, but hair"styling" is not for real men. I leave that to the girls.

LFutia

Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:53 pm

at 27, I faux-hawk my head. number 0 on the sides and really short on top so it grows up. and then 2 months later ill get a haircut. I like to look and i enjoy styling my hair every morning!

Leo/ORD
Leo/ORD

SaschaYHZ

Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:19 pm

I'm balding unfortunately, so that limits my options lol. I just basically get a buzz cut and call it a day. I like not having facial hair, albeit I may go a day or two here and there without shaving.

bunumuring

Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:07 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 6):
a soul patch

Hi mate,
What's a 'soul patch'? That's a term I haven't heard before...
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

ps: I shaved my own head with a 'number one' for about a decade until just before Christmas 2014 when I succumbed to the constant suggestions that I 'grow my hair out' and started going to a hairdresser again, fortnightly ATM. I pointed out how much money I have saved over that decade... The hairdresser charges me $32 per session!

einsteinboricua

Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:27 pm

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 10):
Hi mate,

It's the hair that grows under your lower lip.

The hairdresser charges me $32 per session!

My stylist charged me $20 for the haircut and blow dry alone. If I wanted to have my hair relaxed or with the keratin, it would be $15 more dollars...and those are just special prices because he owns the salon. Over here in MO I'm paying $14 for the #1/#2 combo...which makes me want to just shave my head and avoid paying that altogether.

Aesma

Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:47 pm

In my early 20s I grew my hair to the bottom of my back, I wore it in a half ponytail, very similar to this (my hair had the same color and consistency) :

Had I been bolder/had my hair stayed with me longer I would have tried some variations, like shaving the sides.

Now I shave everything regularly, and grow some facial hair to compensate. I've tried the full beard but it doesn't really work on me and is not entirely comfortable, a stubble is my preference for comfort but doesn't look great either, so I end up trimming close to the skin, an occasional mustache, and always a "landing strip" goatee. The goatee is where my hair is longest and I like to play with it.

I predict that in about ten years science will give me my hair back and I plan to go all out with mohawks, funky colors and pretty much try everything.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

YVRLTN

Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:11 am

Number 1 all over, including my beard. Can not remember the last time I was clean shaven. Usually do my head every 2 weeks and my beard once a week

ps: I shaved my own head with a 'number one' for about a decade until just before Christmas 2014 when I succumbed to the constant suggestions that I 'grow my hair out' and started going to a hairdresser again, fortnightly ATM. I pointed out how much money I have saved over that decade... The hairdresser charges me $32 per session!

Exactly, the pair of clippers is paid for with one use! I actually have not shave it since xmas eve either, some say I should grow it again as I have a full head of hair, no receding hairline or spreading crown, so Im half wondering about it, but only have not done so as I have been ill and too darn busy.

I do it as its so much less hassle in the morning. Shower & towel rub dry and im good to go.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

Braybuddy

Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:08 am

Zero back and sides, with the top trimmed, every 2-3 weeks. You don't have much choice really when you're seriously thinning on top . . . It's also very practical as I never have to bother with shampoo, which is handy for travelling. Even so, if I had a full head of hair it wouldn't be any different: I've never liked long or styled hair on a guy, so even through the 70s and 80s I always wore my hair short. I've always liked facial hair too, so most of my adult life I've had it in some form, apart from the 90s when it really was unfashionable and looked out of place. So it's just a goatee at the moment, which I can't see changing: I might revert to full beard at some stage, but I can't see me ever being clean-shaven again. You definitely need some sort of hair on the lower part of your face the more it disappears off the top.

bunumuring

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:03 pm

Well, I went to the hairdresser today.
I told her about this website and this thread...
She said to say I had a #1 on the lower levels, a #1.5 on the mid levels, a #2 to blend it all in and nothing done on top. My sideburns and jawline got a #1 and my chin got a #3.
Fashionably long on top, and for the first time in my life, wax on top!

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 11):

It's the hair that grows under your lower lip.

Hi mate,
Thanks for that! I guess I can add that to the range of facial hair I have had! I have had a soul patch at times!

Cheers,
Bunumuring.

dc10bhx

Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:47 pm

While going to school in the 70's and 80's I had long hair (below collar length) and no facial hair. When I started working (and paying for my own haircuts) in the mid 80's I grew my hair out a little more than normal (still keeping it tidy but over length for the fashion of the day). When I married in the 90's I succumbed to a hair cut before the wedding and went short (a number 4 with sides a little bit shorter). Then I started going grey (my nickname at the barber was badger) and I decided to heck with it. One day at work I turned up as normal and then went out at lunchtime and had a number 1 all over. I now get the clippers out and once every three weeks treat myself to a 0 all over. My hair (just before it is cut) is now 100% grey (or as I call it naturally high-lighted) and hacks me off because it puts about 5-10 years on me. I am in my mid forties and do not need to look in my fifties just yet.

I showed my daughters photos of me before I had met their mother. They could not believe that my hair was the same length as theirs. My best investment is the clippers I use. Paying a barber £6.00 for a cut means my clippers have paid for themselves over and over again.
I'm lucky my job is my hobby

casinterest

Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:00 pm

I have no style. Just a race between what turns gray and what jumps off. When I go to a stylist I get a 2 or 3 and trimmed on top
Where ever you go, there you are.

einsteinboricua

Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:14 pm

Quoting dc10bhx (Reply 16):
My best investment is the clippers I use.

Come this spring, will probably be the last time I go to a salon for a haircut. I'll ask them to do a buzzcut and see if I like it. Then I'll definitely invest in clippers. The issue is cleaning up the area.

bunumuring

Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:01 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 18):
The issue is cleaning up the area.

Hi mate,
To overcome this issue, I used to shave my head over the bathroom hand basin or in the shower. If my hair was a bit longer, I would sometimes SUVs my head outside, using a hand mirror.
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

YVRLTN

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:43 am

The issue is cleaning up the area.

Put a towel or dirty t-shirt down and its fine. I stand at the sink and put the towel over the top of it. Very little falls on the floor. If in the bathroom, chances are it is tile or non carpeted anyway and I can always pick up the one or two tufts by hand, or worse case a couple of swooshes with a dustpan & brush. I then shake the towel out over the balcony...
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

ACDC8

Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:13 am

Then I'll definitely invest in clippers. The issue is cleaning up the area.

Flowbee  
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

duke
Topic Author

Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:34 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 14):
Zero back and sides, with the top trimmed, every 2-3 weeks. You don't have much choice really when you're seriously thinning on top . . .

Actually, there is one other very clever option. It's called a combover. You grow your hair long on one side in the areas around the bald part, then simply comb it over and hold it in place with wax, gel or hairspray. Voila! You have a full head of hair again, it keeps you nice and warm and the ladies will be going wild over your new 'do. 

einsteinboricua

Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:20 pm

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 19):
I used to shave my head over the bathroom hand basin or in the shower.
Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 20):
Very little falls on the floor.

Darn my literal Spanish -> English translations...what I meant was the little tufts of hair that grow under the hairline. You know how when you get a haircut they'll use either a trimmer or a blade to make the hairstyle look neat? They'll use it to shape the sideburns and pretty much go around your head. THAT'S what I'll probably have trouble with.

sbworcs

Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:30 pm

I am in the keep it short as anything else looks odd with the bald patches camp.
The best way forwards is upwards!

kl838

Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:41 am

I get my hair cut every four weeks as it is quite thick and grows quickly. I used to go to barbers or the cheaper "salons" back in the day, but when I noticed in one of my ID card photos the woman had totally messed it up! It was round on one side and square on the other. That drove me to go to an actual salon to get my hair cut. After trial and error, I finally tried Sassoon Salon here in Liverpool, and I stuck with them. Despite being expensive, my stylist gives me the best cut I have ever gotten, and his attention to detail is just great. Getting my haircut takes about an hour or so, because if you mess up its immediately noticeable, and thats why its hard to find someone who can actually cut my hair properly. The whole experience is just relaxing, and after seeing him every month, its like going and hanging out with a friend.

As for the look have been going more for a short look, with the edges nice and tight. He has shaded the sides and back, and blended the edges. While the top is not too short, but enough to have some room to style how I want it. I have really loved this look and might keep it for a while. For facial hair, I have been growing a neat and trimmed beard, it provides a great balance with the hairstyle and its cool as how the side burns connect and everything.

VapourTrails

Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:58 am

Quoting duke (Reply 22):
Actually, there is one other very clever option. It's called a combover. You grow your hair long on one side in the areas around the bald part, then simply comb it over and hold it in place with wax, gel or hairspray. Voila! You have a full head of hair again, it keeps you nice and warm and the ladies will be going wild over your new 'do.

No!   

WarRI1

Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:05 am

I have worn the same style since 1954 after living in Florida in Key West. When I got back to R.I. and returned to school, they called me Liberace. I did not know who Liberace was. No TV in Key West at that time.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Skydrol

Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:04 am

. . . Motivation: I'm an 80s relic.

And WOW.... just noticed... Post # 1,000

LD4

[Edited 2015-01-22 19:12:26]
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

KAUST

Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:08 am

I am primarily a writer for the most part, so as with quite a few 'behind the scenes' folk, such as my literature idol, Dave Barry, I have more or less unkempt and fairly longish (yet thinning) hair. Guess it goes well with the formal suits I do not own, or the ties I rarely wear.  

KAUST
"Houston, this is Apollo 8. We are now in Lunar orbit."

Braybuddy

Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:47 am

Quoting duke (Reply 22):
Actually, there is one other very clever option. It's called a combover.

LOL! I know what you mean: that particular style has been popular here with men of a certain generation, and you'd wonder sometimes if they ever looked in a mirror. They look particularly good when running or on a windy day, when you'd see wisps of brittle hair floating off in the wrong direction.

bunumuring

Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:25 pm

... I just had a beard trimming accident and I have had to shave my head and jawline with a 'number one' all over as a result...

Grrrrrrrrr!

Bunumuring.

fallap

Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:39 pm

https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/1102707_10201771291785420_962513059_o.jpg

It's easy to maintain, it dry quickly after a shower, some women dig it, it fits with the uniform and I don't have to worry about having my hair drenched in hydraulics or jet fuel.

It also fits the freelance hitman/soldier-for-hire look I try to put one when travelling in 3rd. Word nations (= the World outside Denmark, lol) It has a tendency to make the local touts and scammers disperse more easily.

[Edited 2015-01-23 10:41:30]
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

PlymSpotter

Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:40 pm

For the first 16 years of my life I had a short grade cut all over, every few weeks. Then I though, 'sod this', and didn't get it cut for a couple of years straight. That was my real heavy Goth phase, and I'm told that my two feet of flowing golden hair was pretty impressive. Not remotely practical though, and naturally you get streotyped, so it gradually got shorter as I finished uni and started working. Now it is above shoulder length, I find it more presentable and practical as I'm constantly in and out of meetings.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...