na
Topic Author

Crash At Over 300 Kph Seen From Inside

Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:13 pm

http://www.handelsblatt.com/auto/nac...crasht-bei-tempo-320/11273002.html

The driver reached 330 kph with his new Lamborghini before a bump in the road (apparently) made him loose control. Go-Pro footage. Both in the car luckily survived.
I recently drove the same car (the new Lamborghini Huracan) and as a passenger filmed the odometer showing 320 kph. I felt very safe in that car. Fantastic roadholding and endless power. But I think that´ll be the highest speed I´ll ever drive. Safety can be quite a personal feeling that has nothing to do with reality obviously.

einsteinboricua

RE: Crash At Over 300 Kph Seen From Inside

Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:42 pm

And this is why I rarely exceed 70 mph in my car. My car has the ability to go higher but even in an uncongested road I will not attempt to exceed 70mph. It has nothing to do with the handling of the car during the drive; it's how you're able to react when something unexpected crosses your path (an animal, a person, a negligent driver)...
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

wingman

Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:50 pm

Is that a write off?

N415XJ

Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:06 pm

Looking at the pictures, it's amazing that they survived. The fastest I've ever driven was about 105mph, on a 50 mile long strip of perfectly straight rural highway in Michigan called the Seney Stretch. I had to slow down as my car began vibrating and I felt very unsafe. I cant imagine going an extra 100mph on top of that. Then again, I wasn't in a Lamborghini, but a Jeep Commander, a car not exactly built for speed.

casinterest

Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:21 pm

Quoting na (Thread starter):
Both in the car luckily survived.

'
Wow.

That is amazing after looking at the pics at the end of the video.

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 1):
And this is why I rarely exceed 70 mph in my car. My car has the ability to go higher but even in an uncongested road I will not attempt to exceed 70mph. It has nothing to do with the handling of the car during the drive; it's how you're able to react when something unexpected crosses your path (an animal, a person, a negligent driver)...

I don't know, I have always felt comfortable at around 79 mph for long drives.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Aesma

Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:03 am

He was going fast but that was not very exciting, on top of being dangerous since there was some traffic.

Give me a twisty road and half that speed any day !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

AIRWALK

Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:14 pm

Quoting wingman (Reply 2):
Is that a write off?

No... Haven't you heard of these??

http://image2.buyincoins.com/bicv2/product/s0/show/fix-it-pro.jpg
I'm sure this thread will take off soon

PITingres

Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:36 pm

That's crazy. I'm amazed that they lived.

Quoting Aesma (Reply 5):

The fastest I've done in a straight line was about 250kph in a rented 528i on the autobahn. A couple minutes of that was enough for me. I'd want lots of empty space around me, in all directions, for anything faster.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

gocaps16

Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:50 pm

That's great both luckily survived but that action probably has messed up the lives of both of them. Probably can never walk, perhaps can not work anymore, the simple normal things. Very sad and I feel bad for the passenger. If that was me, I probably might have as well died. However, if they both managed to have minor injuries, maybe due to tough structure member and heavy-duty restraints built to withstand 300+ kilometer per hour, (like NASCAR drivers) consider then extremely lucky and hope to god, they learn their lesson and not to go that fast anymore.

frostyj

Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:53 pm

My dad used to own a Porsche 911 Carrera and we have went upto 120 mph in that. Quite fascinating but also terrifying for me because I know the risk.

I have passed my test recently and always stick to the speed limit, there are so many young people being killed lately on our roads that I make sure not drive fast.

We all know that driving is dangerous.
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

vikkyvik

Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:15 pm

Quoting na (Thread starter):

Damn.....That's far faster than I'd ever be comfrotable going on a public highway. As it is, I've only made it up to a bit over 100 mph.

Quoting frostyj (Reply 9):
My dad used to own a Porsche 911 Carrera and we have went upto 120 mph in that.

But how many kph did you go?
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

na
Topic Author

Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:29 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 10):
Damn.....That's far faster than I'd ever be comfrotable going on a public highway. As it is, I've only made it up to a bit over 100 mph.

It all comes down to what car you drive, how experienced you are, the weather, and, very important, if there is other traffic.
The fastest speed I ever reached as a driver was about 270 kph in a V12 Aston Martin last year. Weather was fine, I knew the particular (unlimited and 3-lane) stretch of the autobahn very well and other traffic was about what you can see in that crash video from Hungary.
As a passenger I was driven faster several times however, mainly by a friend who had several Ferraris over time. The top speed was 320 kph for a few seconds in a Huracan as well as I wrote above. Weather was brilliant that day with the sun from the rear, and the (unlimited but only two-lane) autobahn virtually empty. I would certainly not have driven so fast if I would have been the driver! Even on an empty autobahn and in a super-sportscar its very stressful to drive faster than, lets say, 240 kph for longer than a few seconds. When we went up to 320 in that Lamborghini (the local dealer´s demo car) the acceleration was insane, 0-200 in less than 10 seconds means that you literally feel the blood "shooting" through your body, out of your face to the back of your skull, and up the legs!

Dreadnought

Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:44 pm

I've been bast 250 kph in a few cars (past 280 on a motorcycle) - the problem is that your concentration has to be absolute, and if the slightest thing goes wrong - a pebble on the road, a gust of wind - and you go sailing into the landscape like these guys did. Public roads, even the autobahn, are not built for those speeds. I'd say any sustained speed, on the best of public roads (i.e. the autobahn) more than around 200-220 kph and you are really being rather stupid.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

na
Topic Author

Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:55 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 12):
I've been bast 250 kph in a few cars (past 280 on a motorcycle) - the problem is that your concentration has to be absolute, and if the slightest thing goes wrong - a pebble on the road, a gust of wind - and you go sailing into the landscape like these guys did. Public roads, even the autobahn, are not built for those speeds. I'd say any sustained speed, on the best of public roads (i.e. the autobahn) more than around 200-220 kph and you are really being rather stupid.

I agree with that. If you are going faster than 220 or so your concentration has to be so high that driving becomes very stressful even in a 200k Euro sportscar as you know that the slightest disturbance like the odd nail on the road could be your end. Very high speeds (250 and above) usually cannot be reached for more than a few seconds. You might get to your destination a few minutes earlier, but the increased stress factor will require much more time to relax than if you are going along at more normal, but still fast speeds around 180.

bunumuring

Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:50 pm

That video is insane. I felt nervous just watching it, knowing that the crash would happen.

The fastest I have ever driven was 150-160km/h in the Northern Territory of Australia, when highways there had no speed limits outside of towns. I was driving a Ford LTD and speeding deliberately due to an emergency. I felt unsafe some of the time. I also drove at about 130km/h once for a short distance on a highway when my son was bitten by a red back spider in a rural area and I had to get him to hospital ASAP. The hospital knew I was coming and told me to drive as fast as I could as the ambulance couldn't get to me in time.

The fastest I have ever been driven by someone else was 180km/h in a 1970s Porsche racing car owned by a mate. I was shaking by the end of the 'drive'... And i needed a new pair of Calvins, lol.

Cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

na
Topic Author

Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:49 pm

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 14):
The fastest I have ever been driven by someone else was 180km/h in a 1970s Porsche racing car owned by a mate. I was shaking by the end of the 'drive'... And i needed a new pair of Calvins, lol.

Wow, 180 and shaking? In a Porsche? Was that a wreck?  180 is everyday business for me. Well, not exactly everyday business, but its so normal its not worth a single word. I usually go between 140 and 160 if there is no limit. And then I´m only among the moderate drivers on the middle lane.

AF1624

Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:21 pm

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 14):
I also drove at about 130km/h once for a short distance on a highway

This is very interesting, since the motorway speed limit in France is 130 km/h (81mph) but it is very usual for people to *cruise* anywhere between 130 and 160 kph (81 to 100mph).

Mind you, these are very safe, very empty motorways. Most of them, you have to pay tolls to drive on. This ensures two things: most people don't use them because they don't want to pay for them (which makes them empty) and their cost goes straight into maintenance (which makes them good).

Same thing in the UK regarding speeds (not tolls, or quality, or emptiness for that matter), with a slightly lower motorway speed limit (70mph) but people usually *cruising* anywhere between 80 and 100 mph.

As for me:

I drive a Volvo V40 D3 (155 BHP) and will usually adopt the following:

"ECO" cruise range 110-130 kph (69-81 mph)
"Fast Cruise" range 131 - 150kph (81-94 mph)
"Cruise Boost" 151+ to 170 (94-106 mph)

Generally stay within "fast cruise" range.

Will go into "ECO" mode if the fuel gauge is in reserve, if I don't have to be anywhere (i.e. just cruising along with no real purpose), will cruise boost if I'm late (and said meeting I consider to be important i.e. work or emergencies).

Max speed I've ever gone up to with that car is 207 kph (129 mph - in Germany). The car was still stable and silent. Impressive cruiser that car is. Made for the motorways.

Max speed I've ever driven was in a Lamborghini Murcielago Superleggera on a race course, reached 260kph (162.5 mph). It is an amazing feeling, but I would never, ever even consider doing this on a public road, however empty and in good condition that road may be. Some speeds are just too much.

[Edited 2015-01-26 07:22:06]
Cheers

AF1624

Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:25 pm

Quoting na (Reply 15):
Wow, 180 and shaking? In a Porsche? Was that a wreck?  180 is everyday business for me. Well, not exactly everyday business, but its so normal its not worth a single word. I usually go between 140 and 160 if there is no limit. And then I´m only among the moderate drivers on the middle lane.

Exactly. I think us western & central Europeans have a very warped view of what motorway cruising speeds are/should be, since

A) our motorways are of VERY high quality most of the time, compared to the rest of the world and
B) our cars are usually made and tuned for the motorway - and let's face it - they're also often times much better made
Cheers

Aesma

Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:04 pm

Quoting AF1624 (Reply 16):
This is very interesting, since the motorway speed limit in France is 130 km/h (81mph) but it is very usual for people to *cruise* anywhere between 130 and 160 kph (81 to 100mph).

10 years ago sure, but nowadays at 130 you're already stuck in the left lane almost as you're passing everybody !

I've been to 190 recently, in my small car that has a 163Kph top speed ! It was a long downhill straight. I wasn't shaking but the car was a bit. I had just got the car checked and new tires installed.

At 180 in the Porsche Cayenne S of an uncle it seemed that we were much slower, at 130 in the Citroën Saxo I learned to drive on you thought you were going to lose a door...
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

AF1624

Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:10 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 18):
10 years ago sure, but nowadays at 130 you're already stuck in the left lane almost as you're passing everybody !

Ahah, true - the speed cameras have slowed people down quite a lot. Back in the early 2000's the average speed was probably around 150 - today everyone seems to have their cruise control stuck to precisely 136 (which is the tolerance for the speed cameras)
Cheers

GrahamHill

Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:38 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 5):

Twisty roads are nice when there's no trafic. But when you're stuck behind a tractor....  
Quoting PITingres (Reply 7):
That's crazy. I'm amazed that they lived.

Ditto.

Quoting AF1624 (Reply 16):
but it is very usual for people to *cruise* anywhere between 130 and 160 kph

I hate driving at speed limits. I like speed. Not super high speed like the guy on the video (I don't drive cars that can go that fast anyway), but I always like to drive between 20 and 30 kph above the speed limit. Driving at 90 kph puts me to sleep. On motorways, I put the cruise control at 150 kph and will increase the speed to 170 kph from time to time, when the trafic is very light.

Quoting Aesma (Reply 18):
nowadays at 130 you're already stuck in the left lane almost as you're passing everybody !

Mostly trucks. Tons and tons and tons of bloody trucks.
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

vikkyvik

Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:54 pm

Quoting na (Reply 11):
It all comes down to what car you drive, how experienced you are, the weather, and, very important, if there is other traffic.

Certainly. But as Dreadnought noted:

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 12):
the problem is that your concentration has to be absolute, and if the slightest thing goes wrong - a pebble on the road, a gust of wind - and you go sailing into the landscape like these guys did.

I've never had the opportunity to go up to seriously fast speeds. But I'm not sure I would ever take that opportunity on a public highway.

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 20):
but I always like to drive between 20 and 30 kph above the speed limit.

Same here. My amount over the limit really just depends on the limit (55 mph or 65 mph). I'm usually driving about the same speed (75 to 78 mph if possible).
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

57AZ

Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:58 pm

Fastest I've ever driven was approximately 110 mph in a Crown Victoria. That was at night on a Tennessee back country road. Probably could have gotten up to 120 on a straight highway.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

N1120A

Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:23 am

I did 240 in a BMW 525d in Germany 13 years ago, and had to move over for faster traffic. I felt safer at that speed there than I do at 85 mph in the US.

The fastest I've drive in the US was 140 mph late at night on an open stretch of very high quality California freeway. Probably wouldn't do that again.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

johns624

Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:38 am

128mph on a Kawasaki GPz750 in the Gulf Islands National Seashore outside of Pensacola, FL back in 1983.