Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

blueflyer

RE: The UK And The EU.

Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:52 am

Quoting frostyj (Reply 11):
I do not mind being in an economic union with Europe but the buck stops there.

The irony is membership in the European Economic Area requires acceptance and adoption of most current and future EU rules. If the UK leaves the EU, it will most likely retain most EU rules but will lose any and all influence over their writing.

I happen to think the UK should leave the EU, not over milk no longer being sold exclusively by the gallon (although...) but because the EU will be better without a British government constantly trying to slow down integration and negotiate carve out over every bit of EU policy.

Quoting garpd (Reply 36):
The only thing that makes even less sense is how the US try to decimalise their imperial measurements! -"1.6 inches"- 'WTF is that??!!
That is usually when measurement are taken in the metric system and then converted to imperial units for the general public. Calculators and spreadsheets don't do fractions on their own, that's an extra step or two or three that's easily skipped by using 1.6...

scbriml

Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:45 am

Quoting Frostyj (Reply 35):
No because Kilometres do not make sense.

Whereas miles (you know, 12 inches in a foot, 3 feet in a yard, 22 yards in a chain, 10 chains in a furlong, 8 furlongs in a mile) makes perfect sense.   

Quoting Frostyj (Reply 35):
There are too many Kilometres in the scale!

What does this even mean?   

When you went to school, did you learn in metres and kilos, or yards and pounds?   

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 47):
which is funny, never heard an English native speakers saying yard stick

It's actually quite a common phrase. See the first definition here:
http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/yardstick
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

vc10

Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:42 am

Quoting garpd (Reply 36):

Imperial measurements are total nonsense and have no place in the modern world.
The only thing that makes even less sense is how the US try to decimalise their imperial measurements! -"1.6 inches"- 'WTF is that??!!' I hear myself scream at Adam Savage on Mythbusters almost every episode, generally followed by "You cannot decimalise measurements that are not based on units of 10, you numpty!"

This is not anything new [ or have I missed something] When I was at school back in the 1950s we were taught the imperial system with fraction and decimals ,

An inch could be divided into 1/4 , 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, /164, and so on and each fraction had a decimal equivalent
so 1/4 = .25 , 1/8 = .125 , 1/16 = .0625.

In the building industry I believe fractions were used rather than decimals , however in aircraft engineering decimals tended to used rather than fractions

The other common way an inch was divided was by 10 so 1/10 of an inch = .1 1/100 =.01 and 1/1000 =.001
Now in engineering 1/1000 was commonly used to define the limits of a measurement but was stated as a decimal
Thus the size of the block say was 3 inches +/- .005.
Therefore there is nothing new in describing an imperial measurement as a decimal

Now going back to my school days we were taught the metric system as something we needed to understand but we never had to actually use it to work out problems. So what do I use now as the metric system slowly over takes the imperial system
Well in liquid measurement I still think of pints and gallons because I have got used to them and can imagine what it looks like. I can work in metric but it would be as a multiple of the imperial measurement
Weights the same as liquid
Distance miles wins, but when doing say woodwork DIY I tend to use the metric system , but when I am talking/ doing engineering I tend to use Imperial because that is how I was trained

Now my children when at school in the 70s and 80s were taught using the metric system and taught the imperial system as a side subject and I would think now they are not even taught the imperial system. Eventually we will I sure adopt completely the metric system but it will be easier when old codgers like me have gone to their 2300 mm by 700 mm coffin
or is it 90, 35/64 by 27, 1/2 inches which can be written as 90.568 by 27.5 inches

A question for you though is why have we not adopted the decimalization of time . For instance we could have

100 minutes to an hour, 10 hours to a day, 10 days to a week etc. I understand the French did this during their revolution but it was not popular with the peasants as they still only got one day off a week which was now 10 days rather than 7

Rambling complete [ put it down to age] littlevc10

AIRWALK

Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:17 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 51):
When you went to school,

That's quite a presumptuous statement don't you think?
I'm sure this thread will take off soon

gkirk

Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:59 pm

Klaus,

Long time no see!

http://cdn28.us2.fansshare.com/photos/oktoberfest/hansel-oktoberfest-lederhosen-costume-men-577299685.jpg

When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

PlymSpotter

Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:00 pm

Quoting gkirk (Reply 54):

Klaus,

Long time no see!

Huh, but I thought...

...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

frostyj
Topic Author

Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:02 pm

Quoting Opethfan (Reply 46):

Yes I have been to America and was plesantly surprised at the level of metrication there. Basically every bit of food had metric on it.

It was the same as the UK and the way we do it.
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

frostyj
Topic Author

Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:04 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 51):

We learn't both but everyone knows what an inch is because thats what we measure our height in.
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

DeltaMD90

Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:05 pm

Quoting Frostyj (Reply 56):
Yes I have been to America and was plesantly surprised at the level of metrication there. Basically every bit of food had metric on it.

But I thought you, uh, hated the metric system??

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 43):
I can't really tell if this is a serious thread or not.

PlymSpotter

Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:24 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 58):
But I thought you, uh, hated the metric system??

Yeah.... um... pass now.  

RussianJet

Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:03 pm

I am from the UK, British born and bred. I think the opening post is a disgrace to us all.

Quoting frostyj (Thread starter):
To me I would want an economic union with the EU as they are obviously important to both our economy and theirs,

What does 'they' and 'theirs' mean? WE (the UK) are a part of the EU - talking about them and us is an inherent nonsense.

The EU tries to destroy many British things e.g through metrication. I for one use both the metric and imperial systems, when it comes to the measurement of distances and body/food weights most people use the imperial system. Everyday I see the influence of the EU and the metric system, I often find people on tv talking about "kilos".. I do not measure myself in Kilos because I don't know how big a Kilo is, I cannot visualise it, I also seen an air crash documentary referring to Kilometres...

Wow, I'm sorry you have such difficulty visualising a kilometer, or that you think our future is worth screwing because of that failure on your part. For all that you have said (overblown nonsense) the impact of your claims on our daily lives in real terms in the UK, were one for a second to accept them as accurate, is precisely none. What are you going to cite next - straight cucumbers and other mythical claptrap?

Another terrible influence of the EU has been the influx of immigrants wanting to earn money and take it OUT of our country.. But that is another issue.

An issue which many gullible fools will allow themselves to be led on when the referendum comes, but which in actual fact is extremely unlikely to change even if we vote out. So long as we're in the EEA, and so long as we need access to Europe too (which the country does, even if you personally don't) then free movement will almost certainly remain and people will have voted for something they were never going to get.

To me I am British and nothing else

Great - myth number 11456 - the EU makes you less British.    Seriously, grow up - being in the EU does not have to mean you stop being or feeling British. You will find, in any event, that our own domestic politicians are the ones who have repeatedly stitched us up down the years anyway, not the EU (failure to introduce temporary controls like almost EVERYONE else did for the new countries in the big accession wave, for example).

To me Europe is a foreign landmass

Right, you do realise that you live in Europe, whether you like it or not??? You're talking about your country too, and I don't mean just politically.

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 1):
"their laws" are your laws, you are a member.

Sick to death of the idiotic suggestion that it's all a dictatorship of some sort - we have an equal say in this too.

For all horrified friends out there - please don't assume that we're all this ignorant in the UK. There are, arguably, some sensible reasons for suggesting that we might leave the EU (not that I subscribe to that position) - but the OP has cited precisely none of them.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

frostyj
Topic Author

Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:14 pm

When are people going to learn that attacking me is NOT going to result in a kind response

Klaus

Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:44 pm

Quoting gkirk (Reply 54):
Klaus,

Long time no see!

Hey, good to see you too!   
And happy to see your sense of humour hasn't lost any of its legendary subtlety...!   

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 55):
Huh, but I thought...

Ah, The Band is getting back together...! 
Quoting Frostyj (Reply 20):
I'm not going to argue with you on the EU EVER.

Shouldn't be a problem if you'd have any substantial arguments.
Or at least entertaining ones...!

Quoting vc10 (Reply 21):
Just to finish I would like to ask our learned metric experts why I have noticed over the last few years the cars with a German influence state their power as "PS", which so I understand is the metric equivalent of Horse Power that was used in Germany, but like HP is not now a SI Metric unit.
So I understand the SI unit is the " WATT" so why is this not being used.

It is, of course. The converted "PS" value is just for illustration in that special area and will go away eventually, with the kW rating remaining alone.

andrej

Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:50 pm

Frostyj,

are you from Northern Ireland? Well based on your profile yes, so do you realize that you live in a region that has received substantial subsidies and benefits not only from the rest of the U.K. (and mostly on behalf of Englishmen) but also from the E.U.?

You 'problems' (and they truly are First World Problems) are quite comical and I had a good laugh over your arguments (i.e. lack of). I was born in London, lived in the U.S. and currently live in the continental Europe. I have been exposed to both metric and imperial systems, and quite frankly....adapt or die (trust me, adapting is much easier in this case).

Once you accept metric system, you will only benefit from it.

Now, the relationship between the U.K. and the E.U. is not always pleasant one, but at the end it benefits both parties involved. Some rules must change, such as abuse of social services, but most immigrants to and from the U.K. have been beneficial to the Europe as whole.

Cheers,
Andrej

tommy1808

Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:59 pm

Quoting Frostyj (Reply 61):

When are people going to learn that attacking me is NOT going to result in a kind response

from the guy that brought us:

Quoting Frostyj (Reply 40):
Sure pet.

What goes around, comes around I guess. ..

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

PlymSpotter

Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:05 pm

Quoting Frostyj (Reply 61):

Disagreeing with your opinion in a debate is not attacking you. This forum is moderate and well moderated, you've had some very constructive and informative responses which you'd be wise to take a step back and absorb.

Dan  

gkirk

Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:16 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 65):
This forum is moderate and well moderated

rutankrd

Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:18 pm

Disagreeing with your opinion in a debate is not attacking you. This forum is moderate and well moderated, you've had some very constructive and informative responses which you'd be wise to take a step back and absorb.

Agreed cogent debate requires evidence based argument from both sides.

This young person shows his/her limited life experiences potentially low quality education attainment general understanding and ability to learn and research anything logically.

I'd use troll however that may be adding to much credence and credit to him/her.

PlymSpotter

Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:23 pm

Quoting gkirk (Reply 66):

Hush you     

RussianJet

Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:00 pm

A reasoned response would be good.

RussianJet

Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:19 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 7):
How many immigrants in the UK are actually from the EU and not former UK colonies or other countries ?

To pick up on this question from earlier - numbers from the EU are undoubtedly extremely high. Official estimates in the first five years after the big accession wave suggested that the best part of a million Poles had moved to the UK, and several hundred thousand other new EU nationalities. 1.5 Million new (and 'officially' largely unexpected!) EU immigrants in a five years undoubtedly had a significant impact on the country.

There is little denying from most camps that pressure has been placed severely on any schools, hospitals, doctors surgeries and other services. However, this immigration certainly should have been expected, as the UK economy was faring very well indeed at the time and apart from Ireland the UK was, I believe, the only other country not to impose transitory restrictions on access to the labour market. So in any case, in recent times it's certainly true that EU migration has hugely outpaced non-EU migration to the UK.

As for what the statistics might say about the make-up of the general populace in terms of ethnic origins, I'm not sure, and that's a separate question really - many or possibly most people who came to the UK down the decades from the former colonies are likely to be British now anyway.

In any case, that we in the UK failed to deal with this properly or plan for it appropriately is our fault, as is the fact that our government at the time (that we voted for) chose not to take preventative steps.

frostyj
Topic Author

Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:21 pm

Quoting rutankrd (Reply 67):

Please! I have just finished my grammar school and have got pretty decent grades in my A Levels and am now going on to complete AS Maths before heading to uni next year.

DO NOT dare try and run me down. There is no need to act like an imbecile in order to bring forward your arguement.

Don't attack me again.

[Edited 2015-01-25 08:22:38]

frostyj
Topic Author

Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:25 pm

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 64):

Well obviously i'm going to act like that when they insult and rediculie me. Waht do you think i'm going to do? Run myself down?

Please I have more integrity and self confidence than run myself down infront of people like that.

AIRWALK

Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:41 pm

Quoting Frostyj (Reply 71):
Please! I have just finished my grammar school and have got pretty decent grades in my A Levels and am now going on to complete AS Maths before heading to uni next year.

Which all count for nothing in terms of intelligence. You don't learn intelligence from a textbook.

Quoting Frostyj (Reply 72):
Well obviously i'm going to act like that when they insult and rediculie me. Waht do you think i'm going to do? Run myself down?

No one is insulting or ridiculing you. If you think these are attacks then you really need to leave the house more often. Instead of going on the defense and whinging that people are being mean to you, why don't you take something out of it? You write and construct arguments like a 6 year old. Instead of telling me that this is an attack, why don't you realise that what people are doing is actually giving you constructive criticism which will help you a lot in life instead of shutting them down with childish remarks.

gkirk

Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:47 pm

This thread is awesome!  

frostyj
Topic Author

Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:48 pm

I don't think I will waste my time on you or anyone else so they can just close this thread now.

rutankrd

Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:50 pm

DO NOT dare try and run me down. There is no need to act like an imbecile in order to bring forward your arguement.

Don't attack me again.

You are an arrogant t***er my man.

I have great respect for people of differing beliefs, and political leanings especially when they CAN argue - you can't and get all upuerty when confronted .

Trust me in life you will need to be more tolerent and actually listen to others.

Let me add I really wish you well in your continued studies however when you get into University you will need to research and develop your ideas. You need to question and critic everything you read and here .

You aren't force fed in higher education - Its called reading for a degree for a reason.

BTW can you perhaps read your PMs messages some times you might find out a little more about me.

RussianJet

Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:56 pm

Quoting gkirk (Reply 74):
This thread is awesome!

It has been pretty good. Some very stimulating debate.  
DO NOT dare try and run me down

Why so angry all the time? A bit of patience and tolerance in life goes a very long way, makes it much less hassle too.

AIRWALK

Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:59 pm

No, don't close this thread, it's improving my Sunday.

I'll get us back on track, I agree, the UK should leave the EU because in the UK they stand on the wrong side of the escalator and it might be due to EU influence. I'm not sure if its the whole UK but at least in London they do which is very infuriating. I hope they see fit to create a referendum on this far reaching issue. Any UK'ers know why this is?

RussianJet

Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:03 pm

Quoting AIRWALK (Reply 78):
the UK should leave the EU because in the UK they stand on the wrong side of the escalator and it might be due to EU influence

We stand on the same side as Europe.

Klaus

Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:09 pm

Quoting Frostyj (Reply 75):
I don't think I will waste my time on you or anyone else so they can just close this thread now.

What exactly did you want to achieve with your initial post?

Were you trying to actually initiate a meaningful discussion on the merits of your points or were you just out for some arbitrary provocation?

At least so far you don't seem to have achieved either one of these objectives.

This isn't about you, really: Wondering about you personally seems to come into play only because you leave a vacuum of missing arguments for your actual points.

It's perfectly fine and even desirable to have differences of opinion worth being debated, but it does take a bit of effort to present and defend those in the first place.

Doona

Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:12 pm

Maybe if they spoke English it would be different. But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I would like to say "grow up", but from the age stated in your profíle I see that there will be plenty of time for that later. However, I think you would be hard pressed to find any person who has attended school in the last few decades in Europe, who doesn't to some extent speak English, and most likely a second European language. A lot of us even pick up other languages, spoken by our neighbours, as well. I speak a fair bit of German, a little Spanish and even some French that I've picked up through travel, films and TV, etc. Aside from that I can understand and make myself understood to most Danes and Norwegians, as well as having Swedish and English as my native tongues (Oh, look at that. Plural. Two native tongues?! Both Schengen and non-Schengen in one set of genes. Oh the humanity!).

Some people tend to use "foreign language"-arguments in order to qualify xenophobic (not necessarily racist, though) opinions, i.e. "I feel excluded", or "It makes me feel uncomfortable or unwelcome when I don't understand the language". First of all, there's an easy fix for that, especially when you're young. Learn. Secondly: Get over it, nobody cares what language you want them to speak. It'll be easier in the long run to be able to adapt, see my previous point.

And when it comes to the metric thing, it probably doesn't help one bit to consider logical and simple the metric system is, when you're used to the imperial system. Whatever you're used to will seem like the correct one. I don't believe that:

I am terrified that we are going to have to start using Kilometres and Kilos.

Poisonous spiders. They terrify me, although I acknowledge that I might not run into one any time soon. Dying poor and alone. That terrifies me, and is a much more realistic possibility, especially when compared to option number one. If Sweden were to start using the Imperial system next week, I seriously doubt I would be terrified. Inconvenienced, yes. Terrified, no. As a species, we're pretty good at adapting to new situations. Especially the easy ones, and in this case it is basically a slight change in vocabulary.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

mad99

Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:30 pm

The first time we worked for an American company that build aeroplanes i thought our engineers would have fits with the inch system but they picked it up straight away.

Engineering units..not so much. 127 ounce inches?? who talks like that

AIRWALK

Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:21 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 79):
We stand on the same side as Europe.

But you drive on the left and overtake to the right, I thought it would follow from that.

Guess frosty has to take the stairs then. If a kg terrifies him, not sure what the escalator system adopted from Europe would do to him  

mariner

Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:59 pm

Quoting vc10 (Reply 21):
Although not wanting to get involved in this argument of polarized thinking on both sides,however whether you agree with "frostyi" or not ,perhaps you should
stick to the facts and not try to abuse the young man just for his age.

Perhaps posters who don't like the thread shouldn't participate?

Quoting AIRWALK (Reply 73):
No one is insulting or ridiculing you.

That statement comes as something of a surprise to me.

Quoting Aesma (Reply 7):
How many immigrants in the UK are actually from the EU and not former UK colonies or other countries ? Afghans for example are in Calais desperately wanting to cross the Channel.

I'm not sure of your point. Since those Afghans are already in Europe, why are they "desperate" to get into the UK?

Last I heard, France is part of Europe.

mariner
aeternum nauta

Kiwirob

Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:00 pm

Damn and here I had you pegged as an old fart near death, to read that you're a kid and have these kind of opinions amazes me. You should go and visit BMI727 you'd both get on like a house on fire.

mariner

Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:04 pm

Quoting Kiwirob (Reply 85):
Damn and here I had you pegged as an old fart near death, to read that you're a kid and have these kind of opinions amazes me. You should go and visit BMI727 you'd both get on like a house on fire.

I'm willing to bet that you had an opinion (or several) at his age.

mariner
aeternum nauta

frostyj
Topic Author

Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:12 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 86):

Most adults see anyone under the age of 25 as dirt. They don't trust us, they don't take us seriously (not that I care) and they THINK that because they are older that they are automatically wiser and more in the know (NOT).

I will not waste my time on these losers. Its actually pathetic that they have to waste their time preying on innocent adolescents.

[Edited 2015-01-25 12:24:13]

Kiwirob

Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:24 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 86):

I'm willing to bet that you had an opinion (or several) at his age.

Pretty sure I never had any on the validity of the metric system or the New Zealandisation of Australia, I was however most concerned when I had my first meat pie in Australia, they were rubbish completely lacking in meat, turns out NZ has much stricter rules on what constitutes meat than Aussie and we require more of it in a meat pie than they do.

Quoting Frostyj (Reply 87):
I will not waste my time on these losers.

And that is why

Most adults see anyone under the age of 25 as dirt.

Thanks for proving your point  

mariner

Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:30 pm

Most adults see anyone under the age of 25 as dirt. They don't trust us, they don't take us seriously (not that I care) and they THINK that because they are older that they are automatically wiser and more in the know (NOT).

I dunno about "dirt" but many adults have almost always dismissed the opinions of the young (see above).

I'm old enough remember when some said the Beatles and the Rolling Stones were trying to destroy the fabric of British society.

I''m old enough to remember when an older, famous and very respected British writer said that university students who didn't go to Oxford or Cambridge were "scum."

mariner

[Edited 2015-01-25 12:31:49]
aeternum nauta

aloges

Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:59 pm

Boys, you can't educate someone by telling him he's stupid.

Frostyj, you may need a lot of education, but you (nor anyone else) won't find it unless you accept that you're very often wrong.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

PlymSpotter

Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:01 pm

Not most in my experience, but a few for sure - it is inevitable. To be honest, when I was in my late teens I found the vast majority of adults would judge me on my actions and maturity. As you suggest, age does not imply wisdom, but it does not mean that as a young person you know everything.

Dan  

bgm

Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:38 pm

Most adults see anyone under the age of 25 as dirt.

Don't tar intelligent, educated, experienced under 25s with the same brush as yourself. That's not fair on them.  

Bongodog1964

Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:12 pm

It appears that we have a forum member with a Nigel Farage poster on his bedroom wall.
If only the EU question were so simple.
Do we want to govern ourselves and be able to halt immigration, easy question that one, most agree
Do we like the automatic right to retire to rural France or the Algarve ?
Do we want to be able to take our money where we want in Europe ?
No silly rules on air travel ?

The last three have resulted from our EU membership, its not so clear cut now is it ?

Its somewhat ironic that UKIP is led by a former financier with a German wife and a foreign sounding name, who is happy to claim wages from the European Parliament.

scbriml

Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:04 am

Quoting AIRWALK (Reply 53):
That's quite a presumptuous statement don't you think?

Ouch!   

Quoting Frostyj (Reply 57):
We learn't both but everyone knows what an inch is because thats what we measure our height in.

Not sure about NI, but everywhere else in the UK, the school syllabus is 100% metric, no Imperial. If you go to your doctor or a hospital and they measure and weigh you, your height will be recorded in metres and your weight in kg.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

irishair98

Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:37 am

I've never been looked down on this website due to my age and have been treated fairly well IMO. You coming along and acting like a toddler who doesn't get his own way is the reason people are giving you 'constructive criticism' not 'attacking you' as you put it and your also making the younger generation on this website look bad. Accepting that some of your points are wrong will get you a lot further in life than acting like a screaming child every time someone factually corrects you.
Dún Na Ngall Abú!

Elite

Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:29 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 25):
...is quite frankly the most ridiculous reasoning I've ever heard.

Agreed! Of all the arguments against the EU, and you go for the metric system!

MrHMSH

Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:16 am

Membership of the EU has its ups and downs, no doubt, but to consider leaving over something that ultimately is very trivial and petty in the grand scheme of things. It has brought many advantages that many of us as a.nutters and people take for granted, such as easy travel (I'll ignore lack of Schengen for now), easier trade and migration (I used to live in Spain... you get a LOT of British people there). The UK will not become a world power if it leaves, for all the UK's strengths, and there are many, it's not a patch on what the rest of Europe, the USA and China can achieve. The UK would become less relevant, and with less power to influence, but at the same time making itself vulnerable to the EU's power with no say. There will be no independence, independence is an ideal that no country in the world today really has.

As a fairly young person, people give me respect when I give them respect, it's a two-way street. And when you see some of the antics in the major UK cities, around Universities for example, but *especially* in places like Spain, Amsterdam or Bulgaria, you can see why some of the older folks may be wary. Being as critical of them for being old as them being critical of you for being young is not the way forward.

flipdewaf

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:36 am

Quoting gkirk (Reply 74):
This thread is awesome!

It certainly is, very entertaining to read whilst brushing teeth this morning.

The EU regulations that we currently use would still be used if we left the EU because in the globalised world most of the things we make and buy are standardised everywhere, even things made in china are built/designed to EU regulations (see the stink in the daily mail when its not). If we left the EU it would just mean that we don't have any influence on that anymore.

I think the age of first forming opinions and taking note of current affairs has coincided with the first few trips to the local pub.

Frosty: I urge you to Google "What have the Romans ever done for us?"

Fred

DeltaMD90

Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:47 am

Dude, you need to chill out. I'm not some old hater, I'm almost as young as you. Many people are trolling you but that's because you're making it so easy.

Look, there is nothing wrong with differing opinions, but the arguments you are presenting are very, um, strange, and not well thought you. Every poster on this forum isn't collaborating against you and lying, the problem most likely lies with you and the way you present your arguments.

Also, many of the "attacks" on you are people merely pointing out logical inconsistencies. Instead of spooling up and bouncing off the walls, read what they have to say and be objective about it. If you're never wrong, you aren't being objective and are being closed minded.

I really don't care what your age is, your education level, or what grades you make. (Most) of us are only going to judge you based off your arguments. Sorry man, they aren't that good. In fact, it's downright confusing most the time (how you say you don't want the metric system taking over then go on to say you're impressed with the metrication of the US.) Comments like that make me think I'm just feeding a troll... explain yourself if we misunderstood! Don't just whine and freak out...