Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bunumuring
Topic Author

Happy Australia Day!

Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:44 pm

To all fellow Aussie a.netters,
Happy Australia Day!
Let's celebrate the greatest nation on Earth! Yeah, I'm biased, but of all the nations have visited over the past couple of decades, nothing has come close to the 'Lucky Country'! Well, maybe except New Zealand, but they're like part of the family anyway, wink!
So what are all you a.netters doing today? Anything special?
I'm doing a few things for work ATM, then will go to an Australia Day BBQ lunch, then maybe later afternoon take a drive to Sydney Airport for some spotting, then a special Australia Day dinner in Sydney. Looking forward to it. Sadly, it's wet and fairly cool right now where I live. Hopefully the skies will clear.
... And naturally, my day will be soundtracked by INXS, the greatest Aussie band ever, up loud and nonstop, wink!
Cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

Stealthz

RE: Happy Australia Day!

Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:44 pm

Off to work for an 11hr shift...
If you have to work on Australia Day, keeping Aussies safe on the roads and helping get to their destinations when everything seems against them is not to bad a way to spend the day.
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

bunumuring
Topic Author

Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:22 pm

Quoting stealthz (Reply 1):

Off to work for an 11hr shift...
If you have to work on Australia Day, keeping Aussies safe on the roads and helping get to their destinations when everything seems against them is not to bad a way to spend the day.

Yes, and Aussies appreciate the fact that many many people do have to work on our national day to keep the nation running and allow others to enjoy the day safely and smoothly. On the other hand, I have a mate who loves working public holidays because he gets something like 'triple time'.... And brags about it!
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

AIRWALK

Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:39 pm

Happy Australia Day to all too!

Quoting bunumuring (Thread starter):
Yeah, I'm biased

Not at all mate, just being factual  

Unfortunately i'm buggered down with uni work, but i'll make the best of it!

Quoting stealthz (Reply 1):

Good on ya mate
I'm sure this thread will take off soon

ElanusNotatus

Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:08 am

This afternoon some of us are getting together for a pizza in Vic Park before heading down to the South Perth foreshore to watch the Skyworks.

It kicks off with an aviation display featuring Sopwith Pup, Tiger Moth, Fox Moth, DeHaviland aircraft, a flyby of aircraft from the RFDS, RAAF Hawk jets in formation with solo aerobatic by Texan 6 and Extra 330, a skywriting display and a fly past of a number of helicopters with Australian flags.

The show culminates with a laser and water spectacle choreographed to a fireworks display.

Have a great Australia Day everyone!
Crawl, walk, fly into the future

flyguy89

Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:23 am

Cheers to our Australian friends from the US!

Just visited Australia for the first time a few months ago, beautiful country and fantastic people, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Kent350787

Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:28 am

Quoting flyguy89 (Reply 5):

Thanks. It's fantastic to have a day to celebrate the great things about our community. Of course, the tension with this day, commemorating Captain Arthur Phillip's landing at Sydney Cove ion 1788, is that it also marks the beginning of dispossession for indigenous Australians.

Community gathering tonight, ending in a fireworks display. Hopefully the rain holds off - 22 degrees in Sydney today, compared to around 38 yesterday.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

bunumuring
Topic Author

Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:59 am

Quoting flyguy89 (Reply 5):

Just visited Australia for the first time a few months ago, beautiful country and fantastic people, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Cheers, mate!
Thanks, and please return someday!

Quoting ElanusNotatus (Reply 4):
This afternoon some of us are getting together for a pizza in Vic Park before heading down to the South Perth foreshore to watch the Skyworks.

Mate, it sounds great! Pizza too, swoon! I'll have chicken satay or Moroccan lamb with yoghurt please... My invite mustve gotten lost in the post, Wink!
I didn't realise that Perth got such an impressive fly past!

Sadly, it looks like I won't be getting to Sydney Airport for some spotting. Weather is a bit yuck as well for photography at the moment. It's cold and drizzly where I live. Not quite 'outdoors' weather...

Cheers,
Bunumuring.

VapourTrails

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:35 am

Did some brief, general plane spotting @ CBR; nothing out of the ordinary, just red - white - red - white - red - white - red - white.. weather was good, but windy. Then some retail shopping therapy, followed by some time at the park soaking up the atmosphere of Australia Day festivities and formal ceremony.

Shame about the A380 flyover being cancelled in Sydney due to weather..   Oh well.

bunumuring
Topic Author

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:41 am

Quoting VapourTrails (Reply 8):
Did some brief, general plane spotting @ CBR; nothing out of the ordinary, just red - white - red - white - red - white - red - white.. weather was good, but windy. Then some retail shopping therapy

That's so weird...
You have just described, precisely, what I did on Friday!
My retail therapy was at Costco and Canberra Centre.... And absolutely nothing spotted besides the usual 'red versus blue' (hello Halo! Hehehe) in and out of the airport...
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

melpax

Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:02 am

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 9):

At least it won't be too long til Ikea opens up there....

bunumuring
Topic Author

Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:34 pm

Quoting melpax (Reply 10):

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 9):

Oh yes mate, no more long hauls to Ikea in Tempe and Rhodes... Although the Hobbyco store in Rhodes makes it such a tempting and expensive destination...
Half my house is furnished by Ikea, and I have the bruises, blood and echoing curses to prove it, lol!
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

Kent350787

Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:56 pm

How can you complain about trekking to Tempe with the further tempting prospect of 16R arrivals!!!

Pity about the weather yesterday - no A380 flyover in Sydney either...
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

VapourTrails

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:38 am

Quoting melpax (Reply 10):

Buildings going up all around. I wonder how long the space near the kangaroo art statues will last, before it is (all) built on and then there will be no vistas for airport views 'round there .. one day.  

bunumuring
Topic Author

Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:26 pm

Quoting VapourTrails (Reply 13):
kangaroo art statues

???
What and where are 'kangaroo art statues'?
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

VapourTrails

Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:19 pm

From the article from The Canberra Times, May 13, 2014 : 'Canberra's three-metre kangaroos are more than flights of fancy' -- Canberra Airport boasts that Roos is the latest sculpture to be commissioned as part of Canberra Airport’s commitment to public art and the 14th major sculpture in the airport precinct. It consists of two males and a female with a little joey tucked away. It's located adjacent to the main runway at the north of the airfield. The beasts are lifelike from a distance, but at almost three metres high, the sculptures are vastly larger than real eastern grey kangaroos.

One very cute, apparently unplanned, unanticipated outcome of the installation is that the airport's control tower has begun to use them as markers for the controlling of taxiing aircraft. For example, a Qantas flight 123 might be asked to "hold at the kangaroos".

The kangaroos seem to have been installed somewhere where, lots of the time, they will be visible (on one side of the plane) to people on flights that have landed and that are now taxiing to the terminal several hundred metres away. They have been made so huge so that they stand out in the immensity of a great space where life-size kangaroos would be just dots on the landscape.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-...ights-of-fancy-20140513-zrabe.html

Just providing an article with information, don't vouch for all of its comments!   

[Edited 2015-01-27 12:32:29]

[Edited 2015-01-27 12:33:23]

bunumuring
Topic Author

Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:53 pm

Wow! I'm impressed! A great idea executed well, by the sound of it!
I'm very much for public art on a large scale.
Thanks for the links and info, VapourTrails!
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

flanker

Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:30 pm

Aussie day!! YAY!!!!! My snapchat is overflowing with Aussie day video clips.

VapourTrails

Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:12 pm

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 16):

Not a problem at all. Yes, I agree, when I saw them (the kangaroos) when I was on a flight there after Christmas, they were certainly noticeable from the aircraft too! I was amazed when I visited last time, how much sculpture and art there was around and inside the building. Such a fascinating, artistic place, the airport, so many changes happenening there too.

=