Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MrHMSH
Topic Author

Football (Soccer) Thread

Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:20 am

I don't see many football threads floating about, so this is a chance to start one to keep up with general happenings and events.

Personal information: I'm a fan of Southampton FC and England, and my favourite teams in the other European leagues are Malaga and Borussia Dortmund.

I'll start off by saying what a weekend of giant-killing it's been! I was on the wrong end of one of those, but seeing 2 clubs as wealthy and powerful as Chelsea and Manchester City knocked out at home by lower league opposition in the same weekend is quite unprecedented.

Cheers,
Martin

SOBHI51

RE: Football (Soccer) Thread

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:29 am

My clubs are, Man United, Barcelona, Paris Saint-Germain, AlNasr in Saudi and an Egyptian team AlAhly.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

MillwallSean

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:34 am

Never understood the idea of supporting more than one club. How does that work?

I support Millwall, the rest I couldn't care less about.

However West Ham is different, them I absolutely hate. I wouldn't allow anyone in claret and blue into my office or home. I cant have a hammer mate and if i had a drink with a hammer wed end up fighting.
When i knew a hammer worked in my company I did everything I could to get him fired, blatant lies were no problems at all. People may laugh at this, call us childish, fair enough, I don't care. For me West Ham, just hate them.

To be honest, I'm not a football fan first. I'm a Millwall fan. Football I watch some but the premier league etc isn't important to me. Same with the world cup, it sucks when England goes out but I'm over it after an hour or three.
I enjoy it when the minnows beat clubs in the FA cup, might even cheer when i watch it on tele, but its still not Millwall so my heart isn't in it.

Also I feel sorry for those that never got to experience football back in the 1980ies and early 90ies. The atmosphere, passion and those crowds. The noise, the closeness.
Todays prawn sandwich brigades have ruined the English football.
Football was male grooming. A beer, a game and taking the mickey out of fat northerners. My Saturday spent with the lads. Sadly all gone. All seaters, foreign owners and other shit thats ruined the experience.

And we haven't even spoken about away travel. the buzz when you caught an early train up north was awesome. A few beers, spotters around, not knowing who was who and what was around the corner. Not knowing whether you could walk to the ground or the locals would ambush you or have a go. sticking together with you mates acting brave. Entering the stadium, taking the mickey out of anyone and anything. Singing, supporting, 2 hours of banter. Then on the way back you'd share stories, have a few more watered down lagers and arrive back in London with enough time to go clubbing. A last weary check at the train station, any welcoming committee or maybe some other set of supporters arriving at the same time?
Then back to our territory down South London.
AH How I loved those days.

[Edited 2015-01-26 01:38:10]
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

jetwet1

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:52 am

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 2):

I'm a Spurs fan, always have been, always will be, however, I was raised in Southampton, so while I wouldn't call myself a fan, I do keep an eye on the Saints and honestly, I am more than a little proud of them right now, watching them sink down to the lower leagues was sad to me, then watching them come back up on a shoestring budget, with all the turmoil off the pitch to where they are now, it's great to see.

Also I feel sorry for those that never got to experience football back in the 1980ies and early 90ies. The atmosphere, passion and those crowds. The noise, the closeness.

I can't agree with that, going to a game should not involve wondering if you are going to get in a fight, or worse. The singing, of course that is a great part of the game, but the BS that was happening with the firms really had no part in the game.

Quoting MrHMSH (Thread starter):
I'll start off by saying what a weekend of giant-killing it's been! I was on the wrong end of one of those, but seeing 2 clubs as wealthy and powerful as Chelsea and Manchester City knocked out at home by lower league opposition in the same weekend is quite unprecedented.

Spurs beating Chelsea 5-3 was a great start to the year for me, to many times i've watched my team just fold under the pressure against thetop tier teams.

Bongodog1964

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:56 am

Sean

I just can't work out whether your a posting in jest or not. The non British on here will be completely confused, not being aware of the tradition of Millwall matches being two 45 minute wars with an interval for football in the middle. Itake it you've named your house "The Shed" ?

gkirk

Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:21 am

When i knew a hammer worked in my company I did everything I could to get him fired, blatant lies were no problems at all. People may laugh at this, call us childish, fair enough, I don't care. For me West Ham, just hate them.

That's just idiotic. I'm a Rangers fan and have plenty of Celtic supporting mates. Football should be a friendly rivalry, all the other crap should be left out of it.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

MillwallSean

Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:37 am

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 4):
I just can't work out whether your a posting in jest or not. The non British on here will be completely confused, not being aware of the tradition of Millwall matches being two 45 minute wars with an interval for football in the middle. Itake it you've named your house "The Shed" ?

Hi no our"house" (we dont call them houses) was never called the shed. Only "shed" I knew was Chelseas old stand. the horseshoe looking one behind the goal. It used to be called the shed by fans, not sure if Chelsea supporters did it though.
Thats back in the day when every right wing nutter in Se England supported Chelsea and half of Thames Valleys skinheads made a weekly pilgrimage to Stamford bridge. My little group of supporters were always mixed races and some of the late cup games we played there were interesting. Nothing like a mid November weekday league cup game. preferably away to a club like Chelsea or Arsenal. Had some great cup runs back in the day.

Millwalls stadium is named The den. Been since the great war.

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 3):
I can't agree with that, going to a game should not involve wondering if you are going to get in a fight, or worse. The singing, of course that is a great part of the game, but the BS that was happening with the firms really had no part in the game.

The firms never threatened you unless you wore Burberry, stone island etc. Thats the 90ies. the clothes in the 80ies were hmm different...
But the firms didn't care for normal fans, they were just after like minded. Maybe in the 70ies when scarf stealing was the norm but not when I became old enough to travel. However local supporters had their moments. And there was nothing they liked more than putting cocky Londoners in their place. And nothing we Londoners liked more than showing that we were the capital, bigger and better than anything they had seen.
Some edge to going away is needed. No one should walk onto someone elses manor taking the piss. Some local pride makes the game, the travel more enjoyable. It gives that atmosphere that English football was famous for. Hostile, proud, intimidating but not outright violent. However any club going away should feel that they arent welcome. Should feel that they are playing 12 men not 11.

[Edited 2015-01-26 02:40:19]

[Edited 2015-01-26 02:44:15]

[Edited 2015-01-26 02:44:50]

notaxonrotax

Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:38 am

You've got to be having a laugh....

Me? Barca!
Barca with all the titles that is, NOT the local Barca from my city!
Ironic, no?

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

MrHMSH
Topic Author

Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:16 pm

If your clubs don't come into direct contact often, it's ok. There's many teams that I like, many teams that I don't like, but only one tnat I love.

Football was male grooming. A beer, a game and taking the mickey out of fat northerners. My Saturday spent with the lads. Sadly all gone. All seaters, foreign owners and other shit thats ruined the experience.

I can see where you're coming from, but I've grown used to being able to walk to games without worrying about never coming home, dying at a football match is not what should be happening, and I'm glad that it is a very rare occurence, at least in the UK. You still get some noisy grounds and areas, my normal spot is the Northam End at St. Mary's, and we were shouting at the ref and Joel Ward (a former Portsmouth player) for most of Saturday. Palace fans gave it back as well.

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 1):
And we haven't even spoken about away travel. the buzz when you caught an early train up north was awesome. A few beers, spotters around, not knowing who was who and what was around the corner. Not knowing whether you could walk to the ground or the locals would ambush you or have a go. sticking together with you mates acting brave. Entering the stadium, taking the mickey out of anyone and anything. Singing, supporting, 2 hours of banter. Then on the way back you'd share stories, have a few more watered down lagers and arrive back in London with enough time to go clubbing. A last weary check at the train station, any welcoming committee or maybe some other set of supporters arriving at the same time?
Then back to our territory down South London.
AH How I loved those days.

My last away trip was to Arsenal, and I got a couple of jokes my way, but otherwise was not bothered. Again, I can see where you're coming from, it is a lot more sterile now. Me and 3000 other Saints fans spent 90 minutes tearing into them, but they ignored us until they scored a late minute winner (curse you Alexis Sanchez). Saints fans aren't really loud compared to others, but at Arsenal you just need to whisper to be heard.

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 3):
Spurs beating Chelsea 5-3 was a great start to the year for me, to many times i've watched my team just fold under the pressure against thetop tier teams.

I was shocked, but very happy, what a great game for Spurs and Kanealdo. My Chelsea fan housemate forbid us talking about it for a week. We're not even done with January and we're not done with the stick yet!

We've got an exciting week coming up though. Chelsea vs Liverpool in the league cup semi final, I'm really looking forwards to that, and then the title showdown between the top dogs at Stamford Bridge. I didn't realise we had an Old Firm game as well, must watch I think. A small matter of Atletico Madrid vs Barcelona in the Copa del Rey... just as well I've not got a busy week!

Cheers,
Martin

[Edited 2015-01-26 05:47:05]

Elite

Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:39 am

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 6):
Hostile, proud, intimidating but not outright violent.

Highly debatable. Passion shouldn't equate a return to the hooligan days.

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 6):
But the firms didn't care for normal fans, they were just after like minded.

Normal fans still got caught up in their antics when your local pub gets smashed up, or when you finish a game with your family or kids and walk into a full on fight. It doesn't matter if it was meant to be an organized fight between two firms, it has no business in the game or society.

YVRLTN

Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:26 am

However West Ham is different, them I absolutely hate. I wouldn't allow anyone in claret and blue into my office or home. I cant have a hammer mate and if i had a drink with a hammer wed end up fighting.

After this post I guess I cant say who I support... I have to say the feeling is pretty mutual, but hate is a pretty strong word. If you were drowning and I aaw your Millwall shirt, Im pretty sure I would jump in and save you. And as to getting someone fired, well, all I can say is karma is generally a bitch.

Anyway, nice start for the Hammers and hopefully a cup run too. Would be nice to win something which has not happened in my life time - other than promotion back to the PL of course.

I used to have a real soft spot for Man Utd back in the 90's, the golden oldies transitioning to the golden generation. They were spectacular to watch.

Never been able to get into MLS here and by new local team Vancouver Whitecaps, despite former Hammer Nigel Reo-Coker being here for a bit. Just released defender Andy O'Brien and coach Carl Robinson may ring a couple of bells for Premiership old timers. Its just crap after having grown up with the Premiership.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

GrahamHill

Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:36 am

Barcelona

Good man! I'm a Barça socio myself  

I do. I support my local team Stade Malherbe de Caen and FC Barcelona. Reason is that I used to spend my summer holidays in Catalunya for a decade when I was a teenager. My father brought me three times to the Camp Nou. I started to develop as much love for Barcelona as for my local team.

Plus, the chance that both teams meet during a European cup match is practically non-existent, as my local team spends more time in 2nd division than in the first.
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

damirc

Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:03 am

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 11):

Barcelona
Good man! I'm a Barça socio myself

And another Barcelona culé here.

D.

SOBHI51

Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:26 am

When i knew a hammer worked in my company I did everything I could to get him fired, blatant lies were no problems at all

Silly me, i thought it was just a sport. Somebody looses his job because of a football team, silly silly silly.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

opethfan

Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:54 am

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 10):
Never been able to get into MLS here and by new local team Vancouver Whitecaps, despite former Hammer Nigel Reo-Coker being here for a bit. Just released defender Andy O'Brien and coach Carl Robinson may ring a couple of bells for Premiership old timers. Its just crap after having grown up with the Premiership.

As someone with a similar background to yourself (   ) I found MLS to be quite easy to get into, especially if you can go to a game and sit in the supporters section (as I did before a half-assed friend didn't renew the season tix)

Sport is more enjoyable when you can see it live, talk to people in the street about it, read it in the newspapers, and watch it on TV at a normal hour. That's enough for me to pay more attention than whatever's going on in old country, where oil barons have proxy dick-waving contests over how much they can pay for a player.

RGElectra80

Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:47 pm

Grew up in Brazil and support Corinthians as far back as I remember. 2012 was a magical year and now we're stuck with a boondoggle of a stadium, that the ownership fought so hard to get built. Honestly if I knew it was going to be that scheisty to get a new stadium I would have been fine paying rent to the City of Sao Paulo to use the Pacaembu.

If someone put a gun in my head to pick an English club, it looks like I'd have to pick Millwall. :p Just kidding - I'm Spurs all the way when I find myself in London. Other than that, no other UEFA teams really tickle my fancy.
austinspotter.wordpress.com

MrHMSH
Topic Author

Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:36 am

We've had a good couple of days for fiery cup ties I think! Diego Costa lit up the League cup with his thuggery, Arda Turan tried to kill a linesman with his boot, the linesman tried to kill Jordi Alba with his flag, Fernando Torres scoed.

I need to sit down. Have some peace and quiet...
by watching Chelsea vs Manchester City at Stamford Bridge, and sitting in the Northam End at St. Mary's on Sunday! Then watching Rangers vs Celtic...

Who am I kidding, it's a great month coming up for spectcaular football events.

MillwallSean

Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:31 am

Quoting elite (Reply 9):
Highly debatable. Passion shouldn't equate a return to the hooligan days.

But was it really the so called hooligan days? or was that just another media myth?
I went week in week out from the early 80ies to 2002. I can count the times I was scared or got cornered by so called hooligans on my five fingers. The 80ies and early 90ies were brilliant from a fan point of view.
Stands, songs, you could walk round the stadium. Pay at the gate, away fans welcomed and two sets of loud supporters behind the goals creating that special atmosphere that made people love English football. No annoying stewards, local police who knew the score, police who attended week in week out and who cheered for your club. Back then I saw more minorities in the grounds. Positives.
Talking minorities, they weren't exactly under represented when it came to the hooligans... (except for at Chelsea where their so called headhunters seemed to be made up of every right wing nutter in SE England)

Football today in England is a product. The germans have gotten the balance better. There fans still have stands (no one dies from watching a game standing) where ticket prices are kept low to encourage the average fan to attend and where atmosphere is brilliant till this day. And its not like their teams arent successful on a club and country level...

We should have gone down that track. Would have kept the leadership in football on and off the field if we did.

Quoting MrHMSH (Reply 8):
I can see where you're coming from, but I've grown used to being able to walk to games without worrying about never coming home, dying at a football match is not what should be happening, and I'm glad that it is a very rare occurence, at least in the UK. You still get some noisy grounds and areas, my normal spot is the Northam End at St. Mary's, and we were shouting at the ref and Joel Ward (a former Portsmouth player) for most of Saturday. Palace fans gave it back as well.

Never understood Southampton. Always an exciting team, decent numbers at home but their away support was always poor. They have had difficulty filling away ends for as long as i can remember. Even for short trips such as those to London. Its weird because they had all the right ingredients. The Dell being a proper old school ground and them having what arguably was England's best homegrown hero in Le Tissier. Their rivals, Pompey, from down the road always had an edge to them though. The noise, the fortress Fratton mentality. Going down there was serious, no team came to Fratton park and walked way with 3 points without an effort. Pompey always brought a lot of away support, this despite them being shit most years.

Le Tissier, that kind of players, hometown heroes, just arent made these days. What a star that man was.

Quoting MrHMSH (Reply 8):
My last away trip was to Arsenal, and I got a couple of jokes my way, but otherwise was not bothered. Again, I can see where you're coming from, it is a lot more sterile now. Me and 3000 other Saints fans spent 90 minutes tearing into them, but they ignored us until they scored a late minute winner (curse you Alexis Sanchez). Saints fans aren't really loud compared to others, but at Arsenal you just need to whisper to be heard.

Arsenal thats a club whos been ruined by ticket prices if there ever was one. I went to Highbury with Millwall a few times and back in the days they actually had a decent atmosphere. Even though Millwall took the piss out of them promising to steal the clock at the clock end etc. Arsenal had and have proper London fans but many of them cant attend and instead spend their Saturdays (whenever Sky hasn't destroyed that) watching the arse in the pubs round North London. I feel for supporters like theirs. Forced out by the face painted prawn sandwich brigade and 5000 tourists a game. How much did you pay for your ticket? (Ive heard stories of it being ridiculously expensive but rumours are rumours...)

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 13):
Silly me, i thought it was just a sport. Somebody looses his job because of a football team, silly silly silly.

Ah you have to study the words of the great B Shankly. "Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that."

MrHMSH
Topic Author

Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:41 pm

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 17):
Never understood Southampton. Always an exciting team, decent numbers at home but their away support was always poor. They have had difficulty filling away ends for as long as i can remember. Even for short trips such as those to London. Its weird because they had all the right ingredients. The Dell being a proper old school ground and them having what arguably was England's best homegrown hero in Le Tissier. Their rivals, Pompey, from down the road always had an edge to them though. The noise, the fortress Fratton mentality. Going down there was serious, no team came to Fratton park and walked way with 3 points without an effort. Pompey always brought a lot of away support, this despite them being shit most years.

Le Tissier, that kind of players, hometown heroes, just arent made these days. What a star that man was.

An honest admission: I absolutely love Southampton, but I've only followed football seriously since 2012, and supported Southampton since I moved here in 2013. I'm at least staying put now! But living abroad for so long has taken some of the very 'British' things out of me.

With that in mind, I can't explain why the away support was never as fervent as others, nor why the Skates' Park was as difficult to go to as it was. Nowadays Southampton regularly sell out even small games and almost all away seats... BUT it wasn't the case in League 1 or the Championship, so it's easy to draw hypotheses from that.

Also, Amen. Le Tissier is one we will never see, someone who had unbelievable talent and quality, but didn't leave. It is annoying having to worry over the summer who will be leaving and who will stay, but at least we know that the system is in place to provide replacements. The sold players have all got worse since they left. And are below us! I don't want it again this summer though.

Arsenal thats a club whos been ruined by ticket prices if there ever was one. I went to Highbury with Millwall a few times and back in the days they actually had a decent atmosphere. Even though Millwall took the piss out of them promising to steal the clock at the clock end etc. Arsenal had and have proper London fans but many of them cant attend and instead spend their Saturdays (whenever Sky hasn't destroyed that) watching the arse in the pubs round North London. I feel for supporters like theirs. Forced out by the face painted prawn sandwich brigade and 5000 tourists a game. How much did you pay for your ticket? (Ive heard stories of it being ridiculously expensive but rumours are rumours...)

Southampton subsidised the tickets so I went for £26, but I feel for the Arsenal fans as well. £62! Wow. It's not much better at any of the big club stadiums, the only Premier League club that has anything like the atmosphere [that has been hyped] that you'd expect is Selhurst Park, maybe Anfield on a European night. But as you've mentioned, not a patch on Germany. Having said that, German football does have a potential crisis on its hands with Bayern Munich becoming a true superclub. Borussia Dortmund are struggling, I expect them to stay up, but I wouldn't expect the best players to stay. Klopp might be an uncertainty as well. It's a damning statement that Schalke are given NO chance, Bayer Leverkusen are underdogs and Borussia Dortmund are iffy for progression in the Champions League. For comparison, Chelsea and Arsenal *should*, but Manchester City probably won't. Would need to sort themselves out fast.

Back to topic, I do enjoy watching games on Sky, I won't lie, but then I make an effort to go to as many games as I can, whether on TV or not (my next 3 are Swansea, West Ham and Liverpool, good bunch!). But the amount of fans that don't is amazing. I also find it funny how when I go to Singapore I always see the usual suspect clubs' shirts in their droves. My Southampton shirt is lonely, but proud!

It is the general case though that away fans are simply louder. Crystal Palace had a very bouncy and noisy bunch, whereas St. Mary's is universally quiet except for one end of the stadium... where the away fans and hardcore Saints fans live.

jetwet1

Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:48 pm

Quoting MrHMSH (Reply 16):
by watching Chelsea vs Manchester City at Stamford Bridge, and sitting in the Northam End at St. Mary's on Sunday!

Hang on a second, you're from Southampton ? Someone on here that will actually know where I am from ! A miracle !

I used to live just outside of Fawley.

The Dell being a proper old school ground and them having what arguably was England's best homegrown hero in Le Tissier. Their rivals, Pompey, from down the road always had an edge to them though.

The Dell was something special, small for a DIV 1 team, going to games there was one of the highlights of growing up in the area.

Though as i said above I am not/was not a Saints fan, I always had respect for La Tissier, he could of gone to a number of clubs, but stayed with Southampton, taking less money in the process.

bhill

Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:52 pm

In the States the season is ass backwards than the rest of the planet...because of the "handball" season that is ending right now....Seattle Sounders FC is my other football club!

GO GREEN!!
GO HAWKS!!!

But, yeah..Southampton???!!!

GO DEVILS!!
Carpe Pices

MrHMSH
Topic Author

Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:05 pm

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 19):
Hang on a second, you're from Southampton ? Someone on here that will actually know where I am from ! A miracle !

I used to live just outside of Fawley.

Not from Southampton as such (British/sort-of-Caribbean, Singapore-born, Brunei-raised freak child), but Southampton is indeed home for the moment. I do however love Southampton FC and given that I'll probably never have a proper home town, it will stick.

Fawley is where the stonking great refinery is right? I don't know it well, but I see it across the water.

PS Congrats to Spurs on reaching the League Cup final, I'll be rooting for them if anything because it will spite a usually smug Chelsea fan housemate.

jetwet1

Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:12 pm

Quoting MrHMSH (Reply 21):

Fawley is where the stonking great refinery is right? I don't know it well, but I see it across the water.

That's the place, I actually lived right between there and the power station, before I moved into Southampton proper in the Northam area, from there I moved down to Port Solent.

PS Congrats to Spurs on reaching the League Cup final, I'll be rooting for them if anything because it will spite a usually smug Chelsea fan housemate.

They had me worried, now to face Chelsea who I am sure will be looking for revenge for New Years day.

CPH-R

Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:09 pm

The only team I fully support is Brøndby IF. We've been shit for the past 8 years or so, courtesy of a messed up corporate structure that meant the 'old boys's network' could essentially run everything in and around the club, while only having to answer to each other. This also had an effect on the team and the results, which resulted in us staring at relegation in the 2012/13 season, where it all came down to the last game, a direct duel with the only other team that could be relegated.

Whoever won the game would stay up. Courtesy of the ref being bought & paid for (no other explanation for his piss poor performance), we had to endure a farcical 90 minutes, including playing the last 20 minutes with only 10 men - our player having been thrown out after complaining that the ref hadn't bothered to book an opposing player, despite him taking out our main striker with an outrageous tackle straight on the ankle. I don't think I've ever felt such joy as when our 18-year old South African sub scored the winning goal in the 93rd minute.

I was somewhere in the mass of people in the overcrowded away stand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBJ_9HnnifE#t=870s (shows the moments leading up to the goal)

Thankfully all that has now changed, but we were hours from a bankruptcy before the old boys finally threw in the towel and accepted defeat. The results are still extremely unstable, in that we either play sublimely and win or get completely locked down and lose, even in games we're supposed to be favourites for. Oh well, as they say, Rome wasn't built in a day.

As for rivalries, the one everyone hypes is the 'new firm' (    ) against FC Copenhagen, but the one most true fans relish is the games against AGF. Although with the latter spending more time relegated than in the top division, even that has been missed for a while now.

wingman

Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:29 am

Lot of nonsense blah blah so far. There's one club and one club only, and it's Real. 11 championships once this current campaign closes so everything else is just idle chit chat about has beens, also rans and pretenders. Does anyone else's domination extend into outer space? No, because the Galacticos carry that exclusive honorific for a reason.

Anyway, feel free to carry on with this pedantic blather. It's been said.

MrHMSH
Topic Author

Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:26 am

Quoting wingman (Reply 24):
Lot of nonsense blah blah so far. There's one club and one club only, and it's Real. 11 championships once this current campaign closes so everything else is just idle chit chat about has beens, also rans and pretenders. Does anyone else's domination extend into outer space? No, because the Galacticos carry that exclusive honorific for a reason.

Anyway, feel free to carry on with this pedantic blather. It's been said.

I agree. Real are very impressive. Since Moyes took over.  

I hope you're being sarcastic or else satirical.

It's not all about glory. Some of us enjoy being able to watch our teams every week (in person), mixing with other fans, throwing banter at opposition. No one likes gloryhunters, get all smug when their team wins, switch as soon as the going gets tough. There's more than one reason Manchester United and Real Madrid are widely despised.

PS, Real Madrid are not even the best in their own city, so I'd not harp away too much about domination. I enjoyed watching Fernando Torres score twice. The silence in the stadium was deafening.

PSS, There is NO team that has ever been as dominant as the All Blacks Rugby team. Different sport, but their domination is astounding

MillwallSean

Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:44 am

Having done my best to watch games everywhere where I have been and traveled to I must say that Europe's most tense derby is in Saloniki. Brilliant atmosphere, absolutely stunning firework displays, bombs going off for 20 minutes and smoke covered the stadium. The chants were constant, loud and never seemed to stop. Brilliant experience and the PAOK supporters whom I drank with before/after the game all seemed to have heard about Millwall which was a surprise to me. can recommend that experience.

Quoting MrHMSH (Reply 18):
Southampton subsidised the tickets so I went for £26, but I feel for the Arsenal fans as well. £62! Wow. It's not much better at any of the big club stadiums, the only Premier League club that has anything like the atmosphere [that has been hyped] that you'd expect is Selhurst Park, maybe Anfield on a European night.

Sickening, 62 pounds. Plain absurd, we need some price regulations. Arsenal is a club taken away from its supporters and given to tourists and corporations. Foreign shit owners who wants a business just wont cut it. Football is about the community, the germans have 51% ownership by the members and this is the right approach. Creates a loyalty and bond between owners, management and fans. Thats why Dortmund charge 10 pounds. Allows normal fans to stay connected and they dont sell 5000 tickets to tourists or work with scrooges like ticketmaster. Nah Dortmund works for their fans not against them. They have their loyal fans stand and play their part in the game, creating an atmosphere and a yellow wall. Its in size Europes most impressive end, the Sud tribune (Impressive not in volume but in sheer size)

Good on Southampton for subsidising the tickets. Shows some care.

Liverpool (Victimpool) came down the den a couple of seasons ago in the league cup. Decent support. Sang quite a bit. Were a bit cocky. Apparently thought they could get away with it, being used to the premiership. 1 hour later there were let out of the stadium and 2500 Millwall still stood waiting. The premiership creates a new breed of supporter, one who thinks that after a few beers anything goes because he wont have to answer for his words. Not sure I'm such a fan of that development.

Not from Southampton as such (British/sort-of-Caribbean, Singapore-born, Brunei-raised freak child), but Southampton is indeed home for the moment. I do however love Southampton FC and given that I'll probably never have a proper home town, it will stick.

I like that style, follow your local club.
My kids will be like you, no real home, we spent the first formative years of their life in Brunei (KB) (they went to school etc there) but when the sharia laws came in we got as many staff out as possible incl myself so now we live in Singapore instead. I love it but the wife wants us to move permanently to boring NZ...

Football is about heart and soul. Real doesn't have any. Having attended a game at the Bernabeu I can safely say its one of the most dull places to watch football in Europe. their cousins Atletico has much better support and atmosphere. Titles doesnt earn respect, in football alot more than that is required...

MrHMSH
Topic Author

Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:02 am

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 26):
Having done my best to watch games everywhere where I have been and traveled to I must say that Europe's most tense derby is in Saloniki. Brilliant atmosphere, absolutely stunning firework displays, bombs going off for 20 minutes and smoke covered the stadium. The chants were constant, loud and never seemed to stop. Brilliant experience and the PAOK supporters whom I drank with before/after the game all seemed to have heard about Millwall which was a surprise to me. can recommend that experience.

I know the Greek support has a good reputation, my bar in Southampton had a large Greek presence in last year's Champions League tie vs Manchester United, and the stadiums always seem up for it.

Sickening, 62 pounds. Plain absurd, we need some price regulations. Arsenal is a club taken away from its supporters and given to tourists and corporations. Foreign shit owners who wants a business just wont cut it. Football is about the community, the germans have 51% ownership by the members and this is the right approach. Creates a loyalty and bond between owners, management and fans. Thats why Dortmund charge 10 pounds. Allows normal fans to stay connected and they dont sell 5000 tickets to tourists or work with scrooges like ticketmaster. Nah Dortmund works for their fans not against them. They have their loyal fans stand and play their part in the game, creating an atmosphere and a yellow wall. Its in size Europes most impressive end, the Sud tribune (Impressive not in volume but in sheer size)

Liverpool (Victimpool) came down the den a couple of seasons ago in the league cup. Decent support. Sang quite a bit. Were a bit cocky. Apparently thought they could get away with it, being used to the premiership. 1 hour later there were let out of the stadium and 2500 Millwall still stood waiting. The premiership creates a new breed of supporter, one who thinks that after a few beers anything goes because he wont have to answer for his words. Not sure I'm such a fan of that development.

I hope with all my heart that Southampton beat them next month. For good measure, a mate of my housemate (a Liverpool fan) is coming down to watch them live for the very first time. We'll be sitting in the Northam End, and he mustn't draw attention to himself or he'll get some abuse. He does not know this yet!   To beat them would be a huge boost for Champions League qualification, and add the 3rd and final establishment club to the list of scalps taken.

I like that style, follow your local club.
My kids will be like you, no real home, we spent the first formative years of their life in Brunei (KB) (they went to school etc there) but when the sharia laws came in we got as many staff out as possible incl myself so now we live in Singapore instead. I love it but the wife wants us to move permanently to boring NZ...

I relate entirely. I left Brunei for Spain in 2004, and even at that young age it was clear that Brunei was limited for me, never looked back. Not impossible that I went to the same school as your kids (Panaga). I presume they will be raised as Millwall fans?

I'm quite shocked at how strict the Sharia Law is in Brunei however, it's as if they don't fancy visitors...

I'd agree with you on your other point, New Zealand is a lovely place to visit, but it is very isolated.

Football is about heart and soul. Real doesn't have any. Having attended a game at the Bernabeu I can safely say its one of the most dull places to watch football in Europe. their cousins Atletico has much better support and atmosphere. Titles doesnt earn respect, in football alot more than that is required...

Amen. I don't think some people grasp that. The Real Madrid fans in the stadium and online have always struck me as whiny, entitled and ungrateful, additionally with a very high opinion of themselves. They're not all like that obviously, but as a collective they are vile fans.

mirrodie

Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:50 am

I never really followed any seasons until this World Cup 2014. Since then, I've gotten bad I into it, essentially following Van Persie and ManU. That flying header reignited my joy of the sport!

I basically catch games when I can. And now that I have a DVR the best thing that works for me is watching Premier league review. All the league action in 90 minutes. It works.

I'll tell you, I forget what pre-game action I was watching but there was one game ...if I recall correctly it was the Rangers. It didn't seem like a big game but the way the crowd was chanting as the players came out, you guys really do have the best fans on earth.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

deltaSEAalsaka

Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:59 am

The main team I support is Arsenal, but I have a soft spot for Everton as my first coach was the son of the great Alan Ball.
The Premier League is such a good league at the top, it is hard to not like a lot of the world class players no matter what team they play for. Living on the west coast forces me to be up at 5:30 am local time if I want to see a game live from England, which I generally prefer because i hate knowing what will happen.

The team that is closest to my heart, is not a single club, but a national football team. That team is the Netherlands national team. I remember back to the 2006 World Cup being 8 years old and watching the card fest that was Netherlands versus Portugal and being completely devastated when the game ended in defeat for the Oranje.

This is a great idea for a thread and I hope it can stay running for a time to come.
There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people asking questions.

Elite

Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:10 am

Quoting deltaSEAalsaka (Reply 29):
I remember back to the 2006 World Cup being 8 years old

I had to do a double take -- 8 years old in 2006! A young'in  

MrHMSH
Topic Author

Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:33 pm

Fairly eventful day. My beloved Southampton won with a 90th minute goal, happy days  

But wow, Atletico 4-0 Real Madrid? 4! FOUR! That's a massacre. Simeone has Real Madrid wrapped around his finger.

Spurs winning 2-1 was a great derby game, and Harry Kane is really tearing things up.

Merseyside Derby: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

wingman

Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:19 pm

Quoting MrHMSH (Reply 31):
But wow, Atletico 4-0 Real Madrid? 4! FOUR! That's a massacre. Simeone has Real Madrid wrapped around his finger.

I feel I've been severely punished for my hubris. And a bicycle kick goal included, a complete drubbing.

zkojq

Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:16 pm

OGC Nice's southernmost supporter (probably) reporting for duty.   I also support PSG, though to a much lesser extent.

OGC has won the last three games against Bordeaux, Lorient and Marseilles, but on Sunday they drew with Metz. Unfortunately a lot of their games are at awkward times for those of us living in opposing timezones, so I usually only get to watch the highlights.

When i knew a hammer worked in my company I did everything I could to get him fired, blatant lies were no problems at all.

And this sums up why I don't care for british football. It seems like half the supporters are perpetually acting like gang members.  
First to fly the 787-9

jetwet1

Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:25 pm

Lot of nonsense blah blah so far. There's one club and one club only, and it's Real.
Quoting wingman (Reply 32):

I feel I've been severely punished for my hubris. And a bicycle kick goal included, a complete drubbing.

Good man, at least you can admit that your team kicked you in the nads.

Being a Spurs fan, this is a great year for us, finally the team is starting to wake up to the fact that it can beat the top tier teams, having the ingrained "I'm a Spurs fan" mentality, I still expect them to find ways to lose, but happily they are proving me wrong.

YVRLTN

Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:01 pm

And another Man Utd injury time goal... still, I would settle for a point before the game.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

MillwallSean

Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:47 am

Atletico has Diego Simeone as their manager. A no nonsense player that in England is most famous for his charades that got Beckham sent off in France 98. Cant say I like the lad, never been much for divers, but he seems to have brought welcome competition to a truly dull Spanish league.

Quoting ZKOJQ (Reply 33):
And this sums up why I don't care for british football. It seems like half the supporters are perpetually acting like gang members.

With that comment id guess you haven't seen Nice or their neighbours OM live?
or for that fact any game they play against one of their local rivals or PSG/ St Etienne.
Might be an eyeopener for you.

Was it last year they stabbed a rival fan to death or two years ago?
Was last year they went nuts and jumped off the stands and attacked Bastias players. A scene very common in British football - not...
Was it last year their game vs St Etienne was stopped due to two large groups of supporters throwing seats, flares and rockets at each others while simultaneously fighting the riot police in desperate attempts to get at each others?

MrHMSH
Topic Author

Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:42 pm

We've got a round of PL fixtures tomorrow and Wednesday, then a very deglorified Cup weekend, and then...

THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE! At last!

I'm really looking forward to this lot of fixtures. Some really high-profile games.

I think some 1st-leg score predictions are in order.

PSG 1-1 Chelsea
Manchester City 1-2 Barcelona
Bayer Leverkusen 0-1 Atletico de Simeone.
Juventus 2-1 Borussia Dortmund
Schalke 1-3 Real Madrid.
Shakhtar Donetsk 0-2 Bayern Munich
Arsenal 2-0 Monaco
Basel 1-0 Porto

I've based these on rationality and on-paper quality, so I expect to be wrong on all accounts. But that's what we love about football, seeing underdogs fight back and win.

GrahamHill

Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:53 pm

Quoting ZKOJQ (Reply 33):
OGC Nice's southernmost supporter (probably) reporting for duty.

How on earth a Kiwi ended up supporting OGC Nice??

Quoting MrHMSH (Reply 37):
I think some 1st-leg score predictions are in order.

Pretty much the same predictions for me  

MIAspotter

Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:30 am

Quoting damirc (Reply 12):
And another Barcelona culé here.

And another one!    and I actually live pretty close to the stadium 
Quoting MrHMSH (Reply 37):
PSG 1-1 Chelsea
Manchester City 1-2 Barcelona
Bayer Leverkusen 0-1 Atletico de Simeone.
Juventus 2-1 Borussia Dortmund
Schalke 1-2 Real Madrid.
Shakhtar Donetsk 0-2 Bayern Munich
Arsenal 2-0 Monaco
Basel 1-0 Porto

Just make it 1-2 with RM scoring the saver goal as a penalty in order to keep Cristiano Penalties happy...   

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

MrHMSH
Topic Author

Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:23 am

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 39):
Just make it 1-2 with RM scoring the saver goal as a penalty in order to keep Cristiano Penalties happy...

King Ronaldo must always be happy. I know I shouldn't be so scathing of a club that has been graced by some of the all-time greats, but the way it is run now is the antithesis of my club Southampton, and the way they boo their own players so quickly would instantly turn me away if I were considering moving there. There's been speculative reports of them wanting Harry Kane, stay away son, you're better off elsewhere. Their questionable financial strength (or lack thereof) and govt support makes them difficult to like.

It's going to be a fun time for Real Madrid I feel, and this really is shaping up to be an intriguing La Liga season, even more so than last season even if Atleti don't win again. If the Madrids clash in the Champions League over 2 legs... that will be spectacular. And one-sided. It's strange to think just how dominant Simeone has been over them this season, on top in every tie.

zkojq

Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:02 pm

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 36):
With that comment id guess you haven't seen Nice or their neighbours OM live?

At the OGC matches I've been to, all the supporters I've seen have acted maturely (with the exception of a few that overdo it with the facepaint). Never been to a Marseille match (or if I have, I was too young to remember anything).

Was it last year they stabbed a rival fan to death or two years ago?
Was last year they went nuts and jumped off the stands and attacked Bastias players.

Link? Given the club's long history I'm sure there are plenty of cases when fans have misbehaved. Such behavior that you speak of though is certainly unacceptable and you won't find me defending it.

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 38):
How on earth a Kiwi ended up supporting OGC Nice??

By being born a few minutes from Allianz Riviera (though that didn't exist back then).  

[Edited 2015-02-10 04:06:58]
First to fly the 787-9

JJJ

Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:31 pm

Quoting MrHMSH (Reply 40):
I know I shouldn't be so scathing of a club that has been graced by some of the all-time greats, but the way it is run now is the antithesis of my club Southampton, and the way they boo their own players so quickly would instantly turn me away if I were considering moving there.

The one club you should support if you ever plan on moving to Madrid is Rayo Vallecano.

Same atmosphere as Atletico Madrid, even in the lowest rungs of the league minus the thuggish supporters (at least several orders of magnitude less).

MrHMSH
Topic Author

Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:12 pm

Quoting jjj (Reply 42):
The one club you should support if you ever plan on moving to Madrid is Rayo Vallecano.

Same atmosphere as Atletico Madrid, even in the lowest rungs of the league minus the thuggish supporters (at least several orders of magnitude less).

I can't say I know much about Rayo Vallecano, but I'll take your word for it. The atmosphere at Spanish clubs other than RM and Barca does seem to be good however, the only thing I really find wrong with them is that you never hear away fans, or else it's just a faint murmur.

My Spanish team is Malaga though, I used to live near Fuengirola.

GrahamHill

Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:11 pm

Quoting ZKOJQ (Reply 41):
By being born a few minutes from Allianz Riviera (though that didn't exist back then).

That makes sense  
Quoting jjj (Reply 42):

planewasted

Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:50 pm

I support Hammarby IF. They are kind of not great sports wise but the fans and mood at the games is fantastic! I think we had the biggest soccer audience in the Nordic countries last season, and then the team even played in the second division! This year we will play in the top division and I can't wait!

This is how it feels like when a game is about to start   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IPW-C9HLpg&t=0m13s

MillwallSean

Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:53 am

Quoting planewasted (Reply 45):
I support Hammarby IF. They are kind of not great sports wise but the fans and mood at the games is fantastic! I think we had the biggest soccer audience in the Nordic countries last season, and then the team even played in the second division! This year we will play in the top division and I can't wait!

Whenever I am at my employers HQ (in Gothenburg) I always attend local Swedish games. The big city teams in Sweden generates a decent atmosphere and a Stockholm derby at the old National stadium was one of the better in Europe. (Ive only attended AIK-DIF )
Since Ive lived in Gothenburg for long periods, Ive watched alot of Swedish football. I even traveled away with "my local club" in Gothenburg, GAIS. In Gothenburg I prefer GAIS to the big IFK Gothenburg. More soul, more heart and more my kind of supporters. Leftist support yes, but more in line with old blue collar white labourer left and not today's black masquerade anti capitalist, feminist left. GAIS reminds me of Millwall. Small club with very dedicated support but little appeal outside its traditional fanbase. Also a very strong connection to the docks.
Actually one of my best away trips ever was with GAIS. We went on a chartered train down to Helsingborg. About a thousand people went, everyone dressed in black. On the train the organisers handed out Freddy Krueger masks. Looked absolutely surreal when one thousand lads wearing black and a white Kruger mask stepped of the train letting of flares and smoke bombs. It was like the war had arrived. One of the most insane views Ive seen ever at football. As cheeky and cocky as it gets. Good fun.

Unfortunately a hundred or more then set about to fight the locals and riot police for two hours so it resembled a real war-zone more than anything but I didn't care that much, I hit a pub and enjoyed myself with some likeminded individuals.

Ill try to catch a Hammarby game this season. I heard their new stadium is proper and creates a good football atmosphere. Probably give DIF-Hammarby a try if its on during my Sweden visits (my employer sponsors DIF so we have freebies).

And Millwall has one of the worst managers in the football leagues. Can someone get rid of the clown Holloway soon pls. We have a decent team, far better than Brentford and Charlton for example, were also a bigger club than both of them yet were certain for relegation with this idiot running the show.
Look at Brummie, when they changed to a proper football man as manager their fortunes turned and next season they'll be promoted, mark my words...

I must also take my hat off ans salute Sean Dyche, the manager of Burnley. That team of rejects, from a northern depressed city filled with boarded pubs, closed down factories, curryshops,15 stones women who has three kids with four different fathers and wears tight tracksuit pants that shows half their arse when bending forward, (No offense, Burnley has proper football support and supporters but the city has seen its best days...) and he has this team above relegation playing good football. The Manager of the year title should be handed to him right now. The lad can walk on water.
He is performing a managerial miracle with a squad that would be odds on favourite for relegation in the championship. my hats off to him and hos squad. (Did I mention Sean Dyche used to be a defender at Millwall about a decade or so ago, a no nonsense defender that always gave everything. What he didn't have in skills he more than made up for in determination. Proper Millwall player.)

MrHMSH
Topic Author

Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:09 pm

My prediction of PSG 1-1 Chelsea was absolutely spot on.  

Not a brilliant game, Mourinho is the King of making these games dead boring, but they got a result.

Bayern Munich were a bit average, I still expect them to go through, but not being able to get past Shakhtar Donetsk is a problem for a team of their quality and standing.

MillwallSean

Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:26 pm

Quoting MrHMSH (Reply 47):
My prediction of PSG 1-1 Chelsea was absolutely spot on.

Not a brilliant game, Mourinho is the King of making these games dead boring, but they got a result.

Bayern Munich were a bit average, I still expect them to go through, but not being able to get past Shakhtar Donetsk is a problem for a team of their quality and standing.

CPL. Mourinho is class, pure class.

Bradford saw off Sunderland. They are one damn good cupteam. beaten Chelsea and Sunderland. Not bad at all. They actually came through to the fourth round by beating Millwall in a replay.
At that time I was furious with our useless donkey in charge. Chelsea vs Millwall would have been fun. But we lost the replay and instead Bradford went through.

BlueElephant

Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:15 pm

I'm a huge football fan. My teams are....

Chelsea FC (Pre-money) - and yes I'm angry at the stupid Paris metro incident.
FC Barcelona - Saw an incredible match at Camp Nou against Malaga a few years ago and fell in love.
AC Milan - Because of Seedorf and Ronaldinho
Marseille - family there
Dortmund - Because they're brilliantly fun to watch

In that order too - if they were to play each other.

Realistically - I'll support any team, as long as its not Manchester United.

I live stateside - so I'm limited to what I get to see in person. But I get up mighty early on saturday morning to watch my footy.

[Edited 2015-02-18 15:15:46]