frostyj
Topic Author

Would You Go to Nyc Alone

Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:14 pm

Sorry for threads. But Americans would you goto NYC alone at 19?? I have enough money to go and I was thinking of doing a wee break for a couple of days in the month of March when it was cheap.

I know one of the airports there quite well so I don't think it would be hard for me to get there, its just I am not sure if it is safe and if I would be attacked if I had money etc. I would stay in one of the hotels in the times square area.. Is it loud?

Also can you book the hotels and pay before you go or do you pay when you leave? I would certainly have enough money for the price but I would be worried they'd add additional charges.

[Edited 2015-01-26 10:18:25]
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

seb146

Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:24 pm

Legal drinking age in the states is 21. That is something for a 19 year old to consider. We use sites like hotels.com or trevago.com or travelocity.com to book hotels as well. There are several sites for booking hotels. My main concern for you, as a 19 year old with an accent, would be: do you know what areas to avoid? I have never been to New York but, living near San Francisco, I do know there are specific areas I will avoid. I know it would be the same in NYC. Lastly: don't even deal with the news. It is all "Here is the latest reason to hate Obama" every five minutes.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

casinterest

Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:25 pm

Quoting Frostyj (Thread starter):
But Americans would you goto NYC alone at 19?? I

Sure, however it is usually more fun with friends. Just make sure you have the hotel confirmed. NYC is easy enough to get around in, and there is plenty of security in and around the tourist areas. As long as you aren't flashing Franklins (100 dollar bills) flagrantly around, I don't think you will have any issues.

Most hotels will make you pay when you leave, and you can bet on some NYC hospitality taxes on the bill. I forget the actual NYC rate, but you can call the hotels and ask.
Where ever you go, there you are.

desertjets

Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:42 pm

Beyond consulting a travel guide or two aimed at younger travelers I wouldn't be all that worried about visiting NYC alone as a 19 year old. Honestly any of the places you'd be checking out as a first-time tourist wouldn't be off the beaten path and in sketchy areas. Plus it is 2015, not 1975 -- good chunks of NYC have been sanitized for your protection.

Also can you book the hotels and pay before you go or do you pay when you leave? I would certainly have enough money for the price but I would be worried they'd add additional charges.

Some deep discount rates offered through the hotel itself will require payment in full (including taxes/fees) upfront -- but they are also non-refundable. Hotwire is a decent source for discount paid in advance rates.

I know one of the airports there quite well so I don't think it would be hard for me to get there, its just I am not sure if it is safe and if I would be attacked if I had money etc. I would stay in one of the hotels in the times square area.. Is it loud?

Honestly I wouldn't be worried about random crime. I'd be more worried about pick-pocketing and the like in major European touristy centers than NYC to be honest. I probably wouldn't pick a Times Square area hotel in that it would be more expensive just because of the location. Each time I have been we have always stayed with friends of my GF in Brooklyn.

NYC is cool and worth visiting at least once in your lifetime. Don't be afraid to wonder around and walk between destinations. I remember one evening we were hitting up sites, starting with the Empire State, Rockefeller Plaza and ended up (somewhat randomly) in Grand Central.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

LAX772LR

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:01 pm

But Americans would you goto NYC alone at 19?

Sure I would. And did.

You'll be perfectly safe, NYC is easy to get around-- it's basically the starter-city for anyone who's just beginning their USA travels, for a reason!  

Go for it.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

IADCA

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:16 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 4):
Sure I would. And did.

You'll be perfectly safe, NYC is easy to get around-- it's basically the starter-city for anyone who's just beginning their USA travels, for a reason!  

Go for it.

What this man said. Also, be sure to budget for food. Eating in NYC is relatively expensive. Other than that, it's a very easy city to visit. I visited alone regularly starting at 16.

frostyj
Topic Author

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:20 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 1):

Wel lIt would be the tourist spots. I don't drink and don't intend on doing that.
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

jetblueguy22

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:21 pm

I grew up just outside of the city and would go in all the time during my youth. You just have to check a number of things being only 19.

First is that the hotel will even rent a room to you. A lot of hotels won't rent to you until you're 21. If you go into each hotel's policies it will clearly state what age they will let you rent. A large majority will be 21. But some will rent to you.

Another is just money. Enough money to go and enough money to enjoy it are two separate things. New York is a very expensive city compared to much of America. When I'd go in for the night I budget at least 300 dollars. Prices are a bit inflated.

Third is do you really want to go alone? Going in with someone is a blast. You have someone to share the experience with and you build some memories. I love being able to just explore a town for a couple hours. But after a couple days it gets a little old since the closest person you know is thousands of miles away.
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

frostyj
Topic Author

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:22 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 2):

You see this is the problem I have enough money but I don't want to pay it at the end and be charged extra money. I am not rich so I won't have extra cash.. Can you book it where you pay online and thats it?

frostyj
Topic Author

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:23 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 4):

I've already been to America just not by myself. I don't have any relative sthere (although in Winnipeg) so it would just be me.

frostyj
Topic Author

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:25 pm

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 7):

I don't know anyone at my age that has enough money to go and also would want to go. My sisters friend lives down the road but I cba asking her.

bananaboy

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:30 pm

Would recommend it. Went on my own at age 19 and had a great time. Stayed out near EWR as I was on budget and got buses and trains to/from Manhattan. Took a while but I was on my own time so didn't really matter.

Quoting Frostyj (Reply 8):
You see this is the problem I have enough money but I don't want to pay it at the end and be charged extra money. I am not rich so I won't have extra cash.. Can you book it where you pay online and thats it?

Yes, just look for a prepay rate or go see a travel agent and get them to find you a deal. They'll probably have been before and can offer some advice or recommendation for a first time visit.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

frostyj
Topic Author

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:33 pm

Quoting bananaboy (Reply 11):

Yes I know EWR and I was there a few months ago so I won't have any trouble with that. There are hotels with £100 a night which I could do for 5 days in NYC itself.

I won't be staying away from timesquare because I don't know danger areas. Only thing i'm worried about is the underground dinno how it works..

[Edited 2015-01-26 11:34:35]

hoons90

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:50 pm

I first visited New York City by myself when I was 18, and I didn't have any issues whatsoever. New York City is actually one of the safest major cities in the U.S. I didn't feel any less safe in New York City than I did in London or Paris.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

hoons90

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:53 pm

Quoting Frostyj (Reply 12):
I won't be staying away from timesquare because I don't know danger areas. Only thing i'm worried about is the underground dinno how it works..

One of my favorite areas to stay in New York is the Upper West Side. Feels very safe, and it's only a short subway ride to Times Square. Central Park is also right next door.

I've also stayed near the Financial District at the South Street Seaport, and that was also a decent area.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

Mir

Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:15 pm

A lot of hotels won't rent to you until you're 21. If you go into each hotel's policies it will clearly state what age they will let you rent. A large majority will be 21. But some will rent to you.

This is the only issue you might run into. But a phone call to the hotel will confirm what their policy is.

When I'd go in for the night I budget at least 300 dollars.

Wow! What the hell were you doing? I don't think I've dropped $300 in a night in New York ever, and I live here.

Quoting Frostyj (Reply 8):
You see this is the problem I have enough money but I don't want to pay it at the end and be charged extra money.

You'll be charged up front, and if you don't order any room service or get something from the minibar or order an in-room movie, there won't be any extra charges. The only thing you might have to pay extra for is in-room internet (though lots of places have it for free). So I wouldn't worry about this.

Quoting Frostyj (Reply 12):
I won't be staying away from timesquare because I don't know danger areas.

Do stay away from Times Square. Not because it's unsafe, but because the prices are very much inflated around there, and anywhere in Manhattan below 96th Street (and higher on the west side, but you can use 96th Street as a decent rule of thumb) is going to be absolutely fine.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

bennett123

Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:42 pm

Do not miss the USS Intrepid.

It is well worth the visit.

Visited in 2006, and had no issues.

Also the (free) Staten Island ferry gives great views of Liberty Island.

Tugger

Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:52 pm

would you goto NYC alone at 19??

This has been posted here before but is always worth watching for fun and if you are going to NYC for the the first time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LmPBPWHJu4

"Get outa the way!"  

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

bennett123

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:04 pm

That clip, (and the follow on about public transport) really cracked me up.

frostyj
Topic Author

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:10 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 17):

I have seen that video before.

57AZ

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:44 pm

If you don't go to NJ, you'll be fine. NYC is a safe, walkable city and the public transportation makes it easy to get around. Two must see attractions are the USS Intrepid and the South Street Seaport.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

Mir

Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:00 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 17):
"Get outa the way!"

NYC Principle #1: If you're in the way, get out of the way.
NYC Principle #2: Always be asking yourself "am I in the way?"

It makes things so much easier.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

A332DTW

Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:13 pm

Haven't you watched Home Alone 2? You'll be fine.
Jokes aside, I went to NYC by myself at the age of 16. To put more context on that, I stayed within LaGuardia for about 10 hours waiting for the rest of my group to fly in. Those 10 hours were a little intimidating... and that was just at the airport, in a big city. However at 19 I think you should be ok. As someone else mentioned it's always better when you have someone else with you.

rugger

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:12 pm

First is that the hotel will even rent a room to you. A lot of hotels won't rent to you until you're 21. If you go into each hotel's policies it will clearly state what age they will let you rent. A large majority will be 21. But some will rent to you.

I went with a friend when we were both 19. We stayed at the Hotel St. Moritz. When we went to check in the desk clerk freaked out. He wanted to know if our parents knew where we were. Of course they did. The manager called them to make sure of it. Then they wanted payment up front before we even got to our room. Once that was all settled it was fine.
But whenever we showed up in the lobby, someone there always wanted to know what we were doing and did we need any assistance for anything. But that was years and years ago and the hotel is now the New York Ritz-Carlton. Maybe things have changed. I would inquire first.

frostyj
Topic Author

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:49 pm

Quoting Rugger (Reply 23):

I was thinking they wouldn't take me seriously..

opethfan

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:13 am

Quoting Frostyj (Reply 9):
(although in Winnipeg)

Different country mate  
Quoting hoons90 (Reply 13):
I first visited New York City by myself when I was 18, and I didn't have any issues whatsoever. New York City is actually one of the safest major cities in the U.S. I didn't feel any less safe in New York City than I did in London or Paris.

I visited NYC for the first time this summer, and really enjoyed it. Once you get over the initial shock of the density, its really very charming. I was quite surprised by how messy the place was, though.

Quoting hoons90 (Reply 14):
One of my favorite areas to stay in New York is the Upper West Side. Feels very safe, and it's only a short subway ride to Times Square. Central Park is also right next door.

I stayed in the Upper West Side, and it was a perfect location. Close but not swarmed with tourists and noise.

Personally, I used AirBnB, although I don't know how that gels with NY's many many laws. Our host just advised we tell the other tenants we were friends from out of town. But the price was unbeatable.

Elite

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:22 am

Quoting desertjets (Reply 3):
Honestly I wouldn't be worried about random crime. I'd be more worried about pick-pocketing and the like in major European touristy centers than NYC to be honest.

Pick-pocketing is much more rampant in major European cities than in the US. After living in both cities, I can say that London is overall a more dangerous city than New York is.

Revelation

Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:34 am

There's lots of useful advice in this thread...

It all reminds me of my last trip to NYC in April 2013 to see...

http://i62.tinypic.com/dm7fgk.jpg

... a few guys playing guitar (yep I need a better camera, but they would not let in big glass anyway...) ...

... so I highly recommend it ...

I know one of the airports there quite well so I don't think it would be hard for me to get there, its just I am not sure if it is safe and if I would be attacked if I had money etc.

NYC is not the wild west! Stick to the well traveled paths. There's (probably) safety in numbers...

I would stay in one of the hotels in the times square area.. Is it loud?

Use the interweb... read the reviews... there are ways to find quiet places or loud places...

Also can you book the hotels and pay before you go or do you pay when you leave?

Not sure from the posts if you have access to a credit card or not... but if you do of course it's best to make a booking online ahead of time and show up with a printed receipt... beyond that, added charges are just going from things you consume such as in-room bar or "exotic" TV stations (which will ask you to confirm any charges)...

Quoting casinterest (Reply 2):
NYC is easy enough to get around in, and there is plenty of security in and around the tourist areas. As long as you aren't flashing Franklins (100 dollar bills) flagrantly around, I don't think you will have any issues.

Quoting desertjets (Reply 3):
Plus it is 2015, not 1975 -- good chunks of NYC have been sanitized for your protection.

I grew up within driving distance of NYC in the 70s and there were a lot more "no go" zones back then than now. Times Square used to be a seedy district where one picked up drugs and whores... Now it's all Disney! Boston was the same. They used to talk about the "Combat Zone"... Well, the combat is long over with...

Another is just money. Enough money to go and enough money to enjoy it are two separate things. New York is a very expensive city compared to much of America. When I'd go in for the night I budget at least 300 dollars. Prices are a bit inflated.

Wow, $300/nite? Next time I'm in NYC, let's party!

Quoting Mir (Reply 15):
You'll be charged up front, and if you don't order any room service or get something from the minibar or order an in-room movie, there won't be any extra charges. The only thing you might have to pay extra for is in-room internet (though lots of places have it for free). So I wouldn't worry about this.

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 20):
NYC is a safe, walkable city and the public transportation makes it easy to get around. Two must see attractions are the USS Intrepid and the South Street Seaport.

My plug, purely for nostalgia, is to do the "Circle Line" boat tour around Manhattan Island, if you have a few hours. It is just a wonderful way to get a GREAT feel for NYC in a few short hours. You'll see all the major districts, plus see the Statue of Liberty pretty close up, and get a useful (if not corny) introduction to the history of NYC. You'll also get to see Capt. Sullenburger's runway up close and personal!  
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

frostyj
Topic Author

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:05 am

Quoting elite (Reply 26):

Oh really that makes me feel great because I found London really super safe.

frostyj
Topic Author

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:09 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 27):

Ha looks like you weren't the only one who thought he was crazy when he said £200 a night! What does he think I am!!!

I have a Mastercard debit which I could use I just heard there is extra chargers for staff or something.

Bongodog1964

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:39 am

We stayed at the Holiday Inn 57th Street as it was a lot better value than the Times Square area. Walked extensively whilst there including evening trips down to 42nd Street area, never had any concerns at all.
As to hotel charges, the big brands will always quote you exactly what you are going to pay.

Elite

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:51 am

Oh, and just as an additional note, I used AirBnB the last time I was in town, as have several friends, and it was much more flexible in terms of pricing and location. Definitely worth a look!

flipdewaf

Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:51 pm

I went to NYC when I was 19 for 3 months and it is a great place, not dangerous and the people are nice (although they seem to pretend they are always doing something important).

Fred

PlymSpotter

Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:53 pm

I was 17 or 18 when I first visited NYC on my own, from the UK. No problems at all, had a great time.

I did have an issue when I wanted to go on my own at 16, and struggled to find hotels back then which would accept me at that age on my own.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

frostyj
Topic Author

Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:12 pm

Not sure whether to goto NYC or do a big summer holiday to a few cities in America.

Braybuddy

Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:41 pm

If you're trying to keep costs down, don't forget you'll be expected to tip, and you're talking about a minimum of 15%. And then, of course, there's the sales tax . . .

SmithAir747

Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:26 pm

I visited NYC alone in 1997, when I heard about a symposium on my particular craniofacial syndrome being held at New York University Medical Center that July, in lower Manhattan.

It was my first ever solo trip (up to that point, all my domestic and international trips had been with family or with school), and it was quite a destination to visit as a first-time solo traveller. In July 1997, I was between my 3rd and 4th years of university, and aged 22.

I arrived there (at LGA) on a Saturday late afternoon/early evening and stayed until the following Monday evening, so it was a short trip (I was there mainly for the conference being held that Monday).

I stayed at a hotel on 34th Street (because the conference at nearby NYU Medical Center offered a special discount at this particular hotel, so that made it a bit less expensive and I did not have to hunt for a hotel).

Since I had a very limited time to visit NYC, I had to make it a quick whirlwind tour. That Saturday night, I walked around the area near my 34th Street hotel. That Sunday, I spent a few hours out at JFK airport, mostly in the TWA terminal (T5), where I also relived the memories from my 1994 trip to Spain (IND-JFK-MAD on TWA), spotting. Then I rode back into Manhattan for a whirlwind tour of lower Manhattan.

I went up in the World Trade Center's south tower and ate my Sunday dinner in the Sbarro Eatery at the top. I also went up in the Empire State Building. I spent the rest of the evening and late into the early hours Monday morning running all over Times Square and all over lower Manhattan to soak it all in.

I wish I had more time to really see NYC! Someday I will get back there.

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

lesfalls

Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:46 pm

I deeply recommend to not stay in a hotel in Times Square. Times Square is one if the worst parts of the city and really is also not the safest part.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

jetblueguy22

Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:58 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 15):
  What the hell were you doing? I don't think I've dropped $300 in a night in New York ever, and I live here.

Well I guess I should explain it a little bit more. That does include train to and from Stamford. But I am there to have some fun, so usually it involves a nice meal and a little shopping. Unless I'm catching a Rangers game. Then the food prices become outrageous.

Quoting Mir (Reply 21):
NYC Principle #1: If you're in the way, get out of the way.
NYC Principle #2: Always be asking yourself "am I in the way?"

Wow, $300/nite? Next time I'm in NYC, let's party!

Let's do it. Drinks on you?

Quoting Frostyj (Reply 30):
Ha looks like you weren't the only one who thought he was crazy when he said £200 a night! What does he think I am!!!

Even if my price is inflated, I don't think you have an appreciation for how much a trip like this will cost. I'm slightly older than you are. I know what guys in our age group want to do. And you're not going to get to do much with an airline ticket, hotel, and 300 bucks in your pocket.
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

BigOrange

Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:33 pm

I had the same opinion of NYC when I was 19 and won a free flight, so I bought extra flights and went down to Florida

I have been to NYC plenty times now, and while I feel safe in the city, I hardly ever go in there, despite living just across the river.

As long as you stay in the the main tourist spots you'll be OK. Just don't wander into the Bronx or certain parts of Brooklyn or Queens and you'll be OK.

If you are still concerned about safety, check out www.triptogether.com where you can find other people travelling at the same time as you. I still can't decide if it's a dating site with a twist or not though. But expect to be bombarded with IM's from Chinese and Colombian women, with no way to block them!

frostyj
Topic Author

Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:48 pm

I really have no desire to goto the bronx seriously. I just wanted to see the world trade centre and the fantastic shops.

TupolevTu154

Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:22 pm

Quoting BigOrange (Reply 39):
If you are still concerned about safety, check out www.triptogether.com where you can find other people travelling at the same time as you. I still can't decide if it's a dating site with a twist or not though. But expect to be bombarded with IM's from Chinese and Colombian women, with no way to block them!

I liked the sound of this as I would ideally like to meet someone when I go to the Faroe Islands in March. Unfortunately it looks like it take alot of effort to sift through all the spam to find someone legitimate! Nice idea though. Have you heard any success stories?

rwsea

Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:00 pm

Sorry for threads. But Americans would you goto NYC alone at 19?? I have enough money to go and I was thinking of doing a wee break for a couple of days in the month of March when it was cheap.

I think the question to consider, based on where it appears you are from, is would you go to London alone for a few days? Do you think you would enjoy the alone time and would you have issues with transportation, etc? From a planning perspective, visiting NYC alone wouldn't be all that different from visiting a major European city on your own.

There are pros and cons. Pro is you can do exactly what you want, explore where and when you want, eat what you want, etc. If you want to sleep in one day or change plans, no one is there to stop you. On the con side, you will need to do all your own planning, there will be higher costs for hotels (and taxis if you intend to use those), and it may get somewhat lonely at times. I personally enjoy solo travel quite a bit, but it can get old eating alone for every meal. Otherwise I enjoy the planning aspect and the ability to change my schedule on a whim. If you get lonely you can always join day tours geared toward younger travellers, stay at a hostel to meet others, etc.

bjorn14

Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:34 pm

They used to talk about the "Combat Zone"... Well, the combat is long over with...

Darn! I will have nothing to look forward to when I revisit Beantown.   
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

stlgph

Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:58 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 15):
I don't think I've dropped $300 in a night in New York ever,

$300 in one night? we call that Wednesday.

Quoting lesfalls (Reply 37):
I deeply recommend to not stay in a hotel in Times Square. Times Square is one if the worst parts of the city and really is also not the safest part.

That is complete rubbish.

The Times Square hotels such as the Marquis and the Doubletree are NOT worth your time. but you might get some fantastic rates and a place to hang your hat at a hotel like the Wellington or Milford Plaza. good locations, basic service, lots of European tourists stay there, they also might give you a room being 19 years old.

if you dont drink that is fine, you'll be fine, but do the stupid morning stuff like drop by GMA or The Today Show.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

lpdal

Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:31 pm

But Americans would you goto NYC alone at 19??

Sure! I just did it, funnily enough, for my 19th birthday in November: United First Class+AA MD80 FC FLL✈EWRORD✈DFW✈MIA (by LPDAL Jan 8 2015 in Trip Reports)

(my most recent trip report)

As for my experiences, got a hotel room in Times Square, shopped for four hours, and made it back for my EWR-ORD flight with no time to spare.  

-LPDAL
All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

DDR

Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:02 am

First time I visited NYC I was 18 and alone. I actually made the trip just so I could fly on a TWA L-1011 lol. I had no problems at all and still remember that trip.

One nice thing about a short trip on your own is that you can do exactly what you want without worrying about other people.

sccutler

Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:15 am

I drove to New York from Texas when I was 17 (almost 18, turned 18 that summer while I was up there). Destination was Long Island, but had to go through NYC (of course) and there were several jaunts into the city. No problem. New York is a big, busy place, but there are plenty of good folks there. Use your head, have fun - it is one of the greatest places on the planet.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

falstaff

Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:58 pm

I would go to NYC alone, but not when I was 19. I would have wanted to go with friends. I take a group of high school seniors to NYC every year (17 and 18 year olds) and they all have a blast with their friends. We give them a lot of free time and tell them where to meet at certain times. Everyone has no problem finding their way around. Some kids want to stick with me and we go and do stuff. A lot of the girls like to shop and they have tons of bags when we meet back up. The hotel is prearranged by our travel agent and we even have a security person on the floor to keep an eye on the teens. There usually isn't a problem because they are worn out from walking around all day. Last year the only trouble reported on the student floor was some knuckle heads from Montreal.

Going with the teens I get to see things from a different perspective. First, I love to guzzle beer and with the kids I can't so I see things soberly. The kids want to do stuff I would never do, like buy homemade rap CDs from local vendors. They youth and I can see the same things but our outlook is different. There is a big difference between 18 and 40. It is fun to experience the city with teens many of whom have never been someplace without their parents and this is the first BIG city they have been to. Our students live in metro Detroit so it isn't like they are country bumpkins; I can imagine the place would be very intimidating to someone from a small town; I know Detroit can be.

If you like drinking you may have a tough time not being 21.

Quoting sccutler (Reply 47):
but there are plenty of good folks there

New Yorkers are actually pretty friendly, they just come off gruff. I have spent a lot of time in northeast so I can talk to those people.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

seat64k

Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:44 am

Like any big city, New York is perfectly safe provided you're not unnecessary wreckless (or extremely unlucky).

I would recommend checking into a youth hostel rather than a hotel. In addition to the dorms, most youth hostels have privite rooms which are often much better value for money than a hotel room for the same price. The great advantage is you can make use of the common lounge/bar/whatever to meet other travellers and possibly find someone to walk around with if that makes you feel more at ease.