Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Grisee08
Topic Author

Driving On Route 66

Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:41 am

Has anybody done it, either Chicago-Santa Monica, or vice versa. I am wanting to do it, (not sure which direction yet, but probably Chicago-Santa Monica). I have heard some parts are still closed, and you have to get on the "I" for a bit, before you can get back on 66, but does anybody have any experiences they can share that would help with my planning?
Alright Alright Alright!

Superfly

RE: Driving On Route 66

Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:26 am

Quoting Grisee08 (Thread starter):
does anybody have any experiences they can share that would help with my planning?

Do it in a station wagon.

When I was a kid, our family did this trip many times. It's very loooooooooong.
I only found it interesting in New Mexico, Arizona and California.
Do not do this trip in a small car.   

We did our trips in a 1966 Studebaker, 1968 Ford Mustang Mach1, 1973 Toyota Corona wagon, 1974 AMC Honet and 1981 Toyota Corolla.
All were miserable experiences for a family road trip.
Do it right and find a low miles Buick Roadmaster Estate wagon or Dodge Magnum.

Finally, make sure to find out if Wallyworld is open before you make the trip.
Bring back the Concorde

Grisee08
Topic Author

Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:51 am

Supe! I was planning on renting a fuel-efficient SUV (preferably from Toyota) for the trip. I plan to have a considerable amount of cash on hand, so pricing won't be an issue.) And what do you mean by Wallyworld? Surely you mean something more exciting than Walmart.
Alright Alright Alright!

seb146

Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:49 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 1):
make sure to find out if Wallyworld is open before you make the trip.

Classic!!

I can tell you that, through northern Arizona and into San Bernardino, there are parts of 66 that are the freeway. There are also towns that thrive on the Route 66 mystique like Williams and Kingman in northern Arizona. There are parts of 66 that are horribly worn and rough and not really suitable for travel but there are still signs pointing the way to it. I noticed that was mainly along I-40 between Barstow and Needles. Also, get gas in Kingman and not Needles. We only got as far as Flagstaff.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Moose135

Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:42 am

Quoting Grisee08 (Reply 2):
And what do you mean by Wallyworld? Surely you mean something more exciting than Walmart.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Lampoon%27s_Vacation
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

KaiGywer

Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:55 am

I just drove part of 66 last fall. We started at the Wigwam Motel in California, and drove to the AZ border before heading north to Vegas.It was an experience I loved  https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10649951_10100780811354981_1057433538132366330_n.jpg?oh=067e886865502a10c19bd1e5a91d02f4&oe=55238C77
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

rfields5421

Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:32 pm

Route 66 is a common discussion topic among RVers.

The entire route doesn't exist anymore in any of its various configurations. Folks also have to remember that US-66 was always a changing highway. Many of the original segments were unsuitable for heavy traffic when the highway was officially created in 1926. Improvements and realignments were occurring from the start to the end of US-66.

The route of Henry Fonda and the Okies of the 30s was different from the route of the 50s and 60s. By that time the Kansas section had been bypassed, much of the Illinois original 66 had been moved to what is now I-55 and incorporated the freeway by 1957. In Oklahoma and Texas most of what remains is various 'Business Routes' through towns and cities of I-44 and I-40. There are several sections of US-66 through New Mexico - both alignments - the original route through Santa Fe and almost to Las Vegas, NM, and the 1937+ alignment which now matches I-40 to bypass Santa Fe. Downtown Tucumcari, Grants and Gallup, NM are my favorite parts of the old highway with a lot of old structures - even some 50's motels still open. In Arizona is a remaining section of 66 at the Painted Desert/ Petrified Forest NP. You can see the old route which is closed to traffic along much of eastern I-40 in Arizona. There is a short segment from Winona through Flagstaff. The best preserved section is Seligman to Kingman, AZ.

Probably 50% or so of the trip will have to be on other highways. Some of the most iconic segments which still exist are not open to automobile traffic any longer - like Chain of Rocks Bridge across the Mississippi.

Folks have made Wikipedia a very good, current, source of how to drive as much of the route as possible - and links to the various state preservation groups promote their highway.

The 'traditional' route is from Chicago to California. Many prefer that because it starts as typical Midwest flat land, farming communities and forests. As you go west the scenery gets more 'exciting' for many folks.

But it depends upon where you are locate and how much you want to travel to start the route. It is definitely a week to two week trip if you want to take time to explore the various preserved segments and tourist traps. After all the tourist traps where a big part of what made Rt-66 so fascinating.
Not all who wander are lost.