DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Quality Care Overseas Exceeding Western Standards

Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:25 pm

This topic is about relatively inexpensive medical care that can be achieved overseas. There is a travel component to Medical Tourism, but the travel part of the tourism is not my focus here.

(A previous topic about going overseas was archived in 2010.)

Surf, sand ... and surgery? Inside the world of medical tourism - CNN's Inside Man Morgan Spurlock investigates:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/28/tv/med...gan-spurlock-inside-man/index.html

"Today, the best destination hospitals in countries like Malaysia, India, Turkey and Thailand reportedly meet or exceed Western standards.

As Morgan Spurlock learned, Bumrungrad in Thailand serves 520,000 international patients a year from 190 countries. Most of their doctors do post-graduate training overseas, with more than 300 of them American Board Certified."

A friend at work suggested that I could get dental implants much cheaper by having the work done in Mexico.

The job I have now, does not provide cost effective insurance for ---other than--- catastrophic situations.
General health maintenance procedures that I would to have done, are just too expensive when you factor in the deductibles and the premiums.

[Edited 2015-02-01 08:26:24]
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

kiwiinoz

RE: Quality Care Overseas Exceeding Western Standards

Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:38 am

Thailand has some pretty good medical facilities that exceed most "1st World" standards, (not exclusively western). Not just on the medical side but the hospitality side as well. also the Phillipines for dentistry

But the reality is, if something does go wrong, you are nowhere near as protected as you would be in a developed country. Those big private hospitals would just shuffle you out the door and that would be the end of it

So there is risk. Most I know that have done it have positive feedback

Elite

Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:45 am

Quoting kiwiinoz (Reply 1):
But the reality is, if something does go wrong, you are nowhere near as protected as you would be in a developed country. Those big private hospitals would just shuffle you out the door and that would be the end of it

As in something going wrong financially? Because the same could be said for the US as well, though the much lower prices in countries like Thailand mean that there is a much lower chance of being shuffled out the door.

LAX772LR

Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:43 pm

Quoting elite (Reply 2):
As in something going wrong financially?

I'm guessing he means "as in something going wrong in operation," i.e., malpractice.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

JAGflyer

Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:57 pm

Dental work/minimally invasive procedures are one thing but invasive surgery (including cosmetic procedures like breast implants or body reshaping) is something I'd never suggest having done overseas. During the recovery, you want to be at home surrounded by people you know and things you are used to. Secondly, what happens if you have an issue while in a foreign country? Who is there to protect you and what recourse do you have? Down the road if you run into problems, it's not so easy to just go to the hospital and have the surgeon look at you when he or she is 14 hours away by air.
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!