Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Max Q
Topic Author

Can't Stand Red Wine Anymore

Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:03 am

I used to enjoy red wine on occasion but for the last few years I simply can't enjoy it or even tolerate the smell.

I seem to have migrated to 'lighter' drinks in general, instead of Scotch I prefer Gin and Tonic, instead of red I prefer White wine, Champagne, Vodka tonic , light beers etc..

Don't really understand why this has happened, anyone have any insight or similar experience ?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

NAV30

RE: Can't Stand Red Wine Anymore

Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:52 am

The same thing has pretty well happened to me. I still have a couple of bottles of red given to me at Christmas, haven't opened either yet!

I find that I'm mostly only drinking wine with meals lately, and with 'old age' setting in, white seems to go better with the lighter meals I'm mostly having these days.

Superfly

Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:01 am

Quoting Max Q (Thread starter):
I seem to have migrated to 'lighter' drinks in general, instead of Scotch I prefer Gin and Tonic, instead of red I prefer White wine, Champagne, Vodka tonic , light beers etc..
Quoting Nav30 (Reply 1):
and with 'old age' setting in, white seems to go better with the lighter meals I'm mostly having these days.

You're turning in to women. Perhaps you're going through the same changes as Bruce Jenner.

Just kidding of course.  
Bring back the Concorde

LAX772LR

Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:18 am

Don't really understand why this has happened, anyone have any insight or similar experience ?

Yup. Don't like red wine anymore, can't stand vodka, and (oddly enough) have completely lost my taste for pizza.

Used to love all the above, but just now can't stand the taste. No real explanation.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

AR385

Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:08 am

Well, being a recovering alcoholic myself I can somehow relate. Not that I am implying you are an alcoholic. But, what you describe is unusual.

I simply can't enjoy it or even tolerate the smell.

Strange. Red wines exist in a wide variety of flavors so it´s not like you could say all the red wine tastes the same.

instead of Scotch I prefer Gin and Tonic

There is a HUGE variety of Scotch.

instead of red I prefer White wine,

Chardonnay tastes nothing like Riesling. So, it´s kind of strange saying you like "White Wine" better. The flavors are enitrely different.

Champagne, Vodka tonic , light beers etc..

I can´t stand Vodka. The smell makes me nauseous. But Champagne? I love it.

Anyway. Whatever suits your taste, it´s fine. If that is your situation. Good for you.

Superfly

Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:13 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 4):
Chardonnay tastes nothing like Riesling.

But Champagne? I love it.

There is a nice red Champagne/sparkling wine called Cold Duck.
Have you tried it?
Bring back the Concorde

AR385

Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:21 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 5):
Have you tried it?

Nope. But. You should try the Navarro Correa Champagne, It´s $20 USD a bottle and I would buy it anytime over the Moet & Chandon crap. It´s at the level of the Veuve Cliquot, but I will look up the one you are suggesting.,

Superfly

Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:40 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 6):
You should try the Navarro Correa Champagne,

I'll try it.
To be honest, I have low standards when it comes to Champagne. For me, I can't tell much of a difference between Dom Pérignon an Andre Brut.
Red wines are pretty forgiving but white wine has to be just right. I've had more bad white wines than red wines.

Quoting AR385 (Reply 6):
Moet & Chandon crap

They host parties here in Bangkok an the rich, HiSo locals love this crap.

Quoting AR385 (Reply 6):
I will look up the one you are suggesting.,

Well there is some sarcasm with my suggestion. The best way I can describe it is that it was once very popular in the inner-cities back in the 1970s. It's a budget sparkling wine by Andre. For me it's a guilty pleasure.   
High-end spirits retailers would probably ask you to leave if you asked if they had it in stock...
Bring back the Concorde

AR385

Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:51 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 7):
To be honest, I have low standards when it comes to Champagne.

Understandable. These days Champagne sells for brand rather than quality. The Navarro Correa I recommended is excelent. You could also try and get Spanish Cava, which is Campagne but from Spain. So they can´t call it Champagne. Forget the Freixenet shit. Get the Codorniou. That is a fantastic, "champagne" sparkling wine.

Dom Pérignon an Andre Brut.

Dom Périgonon used to be excellent. Nowadays the key is buying a bottle from certain years. A Dom Pérignon 1990 will set you back probably $800 USD but it is really worth it. Do research, more recent Dom Pérignon years are cheaper and very good. But if you don´t get the good year, it´s not worth it.

They host parties here in Bangkok an the rich, HiSo locals love this crap.

Here it´s the same. Moet & Chandon is crap, but it´s got the brand...It gives heartburn.

Well there is some sarcasm with my suggestion.

Jajajaj. Good to know. Hope you find a good one.

Max Q
Topic Author

Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:56 am

Have you tried it?

On the rare occasions i'm not admiring Bruce Jenner I have occasionally tried red Champagne  Wow!

But, basically any of the 'heavier' drinks, dark beer, Scotch, Brandy, etc I just don't care for anymore.
I have a theory that living in a warm climate (Florida for the last 23 years) will make you want to stay with the
lighter drinks.

Its just a completely different experience than enjoying a Guinness in a Dublin pub in winter, not just that but getting older I think turns you towards drinks that are a little 'gentler' the next day.

GGg

Max Q
Topic Author

Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:00 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 3):
Yup. Don't like red wine anymore, can't stand vodka, and (oddly enough) have completely lost my taste for pizza.

Used to love all the above, but just now can't stand the taste. No real explanation.

Glad to hear it's not just me, I would say sorry you don't enjoy pizza anymore but you're better off, wish I didn't !

Quoting AR385 (Reply 4):
Well, being a recovering alcoholic myself I can somehow relate. Not that I am implying you are an alcoholic. But, what you describe is unusual.

Well, I don't think so, I think tastes just change, sometimes inexplicably.

[Edited 2015-02-13 00:03:46]

GGg

sebolino

Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:52 am

Quoting Nav30 (Reply 1):
I find that I'm mostly only drinking wine with meals lately

Red wine is only enjoyable with food. I think it's a matter of strength. It has to be balanced by something.
At least to my experience, it's uncommon to drink (good) red wine alone if you're not alcoholic.

On the other end, white wine is perfect to have a drink without a meal.

Superfly

Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:17 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 9):
But, basically any of the 'heavier' drinks, dark beer, Scotch, Brandy, etc I just don't care for anymore.
I have a theory that living in a warm climate (Florida for the last 23 years) will make you want to stay with the
lighter drinks.

Understood. Living here in Bangkok for almost 5 years, I can relate. I've admitted defeat an now tolerate local crap beer. It's ok because it's usually hot & humid here an crap beer is passable in hot & humid climates.
Thailand has ridiculously high taxes on imported wine - it's 450%.
Probably 99% of the wine sold here is imported because the local wine taste like burned transmission oil. Even high end wine imported from Europe, Australia an the US may sometimes be improperly handled an stored once shipped to Thailand. I've gone to some nice restaurants an hotels that had spoiled, vinegary wine. I once paid 2000 baht ($60USD) for a bottle of wine that poured out in blobs. That was $60USD down the toilet.
I just gave up on nice wine an resigned myself to Leo an Chang beer.

Quoting Max Q (Reply 9):
On the rare occasions i'm not admiring Bruce Jenner I have occasionally tried red Champagne

LOL!   

Quoting AR385 (Reply 8):
Jajajaj. Good to know. Hope you find a good one.

The only places in the US that sale Cold Duck today usually has a bulletproof window between the cashier an the customer. In other words, you have to go to the ghetto to find it.
Bring back the Concorde

sccutler

Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:42 pm

Have you tried it?

Yes Fly, I have tried cold duck. It was responsible for my only fully-lost day (as a result of drink). The mere mention of the words "cold duck" makes me shudder still, and it has been 34 years.

(Shudder!)

As an aside (or a return to the original topic), I love a good red wine, in modest quantity by itself or, perhaps, a bit more with a good steak. All things in moderation. Texas has a growing wine industry, and I am repeatedly told that we are producing some really good wines here; having tried a number of them, I find that they range from barely passable, to indescribably foul. I'll take a good basic red from California, Chile or Australia anytime.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

einsteinboricua

Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:29 pm

I've noticed that red wine is too strong for my liking. I'll stick with Riesling and Moscato all the way...maybe throw in a Pinot Grigio every once in a while.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Osubuckeyes

Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:06 pm

Quoting sebolino (Reply 11):
At least to my experience, it's uncommon to drink (good) red wine alone if you're not alcoholic.

Some of the high end reds from my collection I would open up and have a glass every 12-18 hours and explore how it evolved. My somm group and I frequently enjoy high end reds without food, and sometimes prefer it that way.

4holer

Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:31 pm

Starting to sound like one of those Low Testosterone commercials on the radio in here! Geez, pretty soon you all will be discussing how the Sports Illustrated Swimssuit Issue does absolutely nothing for you anymore and you don't know the names of ANY of the Victorias Secret models!!
Oh wait... That's me.
Never mind, carry on!
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

vikkyvik

Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:43 pm

I actually don't find any of these strange:

Quoting AR385 (Reply 4):
Strange. Red wines exist in a wide variety of flavors so it´s not like you could say all the red wine tastes the same.
Quoting AR385 (Reply 4):
There is a HUGE variety of Scotch.
Quoting AR385 (Reply 4):
Chardonnay tastes nothing like Riesling. So, it´s kind of strange saying you like "White Wine" better. The flavors are enitrely different.

I never got "into" wine or Scotch more than casually. So red wines tend to taste alike to me, as do white wines, as do Scotches.

Quoting AR385 (Reply 4):
I can´t stand Vodka. The smell makes me nauseous.

Me too. As do the smells of whiskey and tequila, and maybe rum too. I could probably stand the smell of gin, but I wouldn't want to.

Then again, I haven't had a drink in almost 9 years.....
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

mad99

Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:05 pm

for the above people saying red wine is too strong, i have a solution.

Here in Spain the kids drink Kalimotxo a 50-50 mix of red wine and coke in a 1 litre plastic cup called a mini.

Enjoy!!

OA412

Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:05 pm

Interested thread. As I've gotten older, I've had the opposite experience of many of you. I've become more tolerant of red wine, and absolutely love stouts, even though I previously couldn't tolerate them. My main issue vis-a-vis red wine is the very "oaky" character that the barrel often imparts on the wine itself. But, I've been introduced to a number of really good reds by a wine connoisseur friend, and have changed my tune.

With respect to beer, I can't stand IPA's, but I love dark beers like stouts. Living in Colorado where I have access to so much awesome beer hasn't hurt.   I've never liked lite beers, and can't understand how anyone can drink that piss water other than for budgetary reasons.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

zckls04

Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:13 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 19):
My main issue vis-a-vis red wine is the very "oaky" character that the barrel often imparts on the wine itself

Fortunately that style is becoming very unfashionable these days, and more and more winemakers are veering away from the "100 point fruit bomb" style so beloved of many American critics.

I used to enjoy red wine on occasion but for the last few years I simply can't enjoy it or even tolerate the smell.

That's a shame, but I would encourage you to use the opportunity to explore a greater variety of whites. Most people get stuck on Chards and Sauvignon Blanc, and skip over Riesling, Gewurtz, Fruiliano, Viognier, Arneis, Pigato, Chenin Blanc, Semillon, Tokaj, Sauternes/Barsac etc etc etc. Even with Chardonnay there's a huge range, from Mersault to Sonoma.

Even without reds there's a huge world to explore.
Four Granavox Turbines!

Max Q
Topic Author

Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:37 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 12):
Understood. Living here in Bangkok for almost 5 years, I can relate. I've admitted defeat an now tolerate local crap beer. It's ok because it's usually hot & humid here an crap beer is passable in hot & humid climates.
Thailand has ridiculously high taxes on imported wine - it's 450%.
Probably 99% of the wine sold here is imported because the local wine taste like burned transmission oil. Even high end wine imported from Europe, Australia an the US may sometimes be improperly handled an stored once shipped to Thailand. I've gone to some nice restaurants an hotels that had spoiled, vinegary wine. I once paid 2000 baht ($60USD) for a bottle of wine that poured out in blobs. That was $60USD down the toilet.
I just gave up on nice wine an resigned myself to Leo an Chang beer.

'Burned transmission oil' eh ? that's what red smells like to me these days. That was an expensive wine to be so awful.

I have had similar experiences. I guess its just personal taste and how it changes.

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 20):
That's a shame, but I would encourage you to use the opportunity to explore a greater variety of whites. Most people get stuck on Chards and Sauvignon Blanc, and skip over Riesling, Gewurtz, Fruiliano, Viognier, Arneis, Pigato, Chenin Blanc, Semillon, Tokaj, Sauternes/Barsac etc etc etc. Even with Chardonnay there's a huge range, from Mersault to Sonoma.

Agree, my personal favourite these days is a pinot grigio called 'Torresella' from Italy, nice clean taste, not too sweet.

Quoting OA412 (Reply 19):
Interested thread. As I've gotten older, I've had the opposite experience of many of you. I've become more tolerant of red wine, and absolutely love stouts, even though I previously couldn't tolerate them. My main issue vis-a-vis red wine is the very "oaky" character that the barrel often imparts on the wine itself. But, I've been introduced to a number of really good reds by a wine connoisseur friend, and have changed my tune.

With respect to beer, I can't stand IPA's, but I love dark beers like stouts. Living in Colorado where I have access to so much awesome beer hasn't hurt. I've never liked lite beers, and

Interesting, I do think that with you living in Colorado the colder temps may play a part in your selection.

GGg

jetwet1

Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:51 pm

Have you gone through anything traumatic ?

I know after my heart attack my taste buds changed, I now don't mind carrots, and i'm sorry to say (well not really considering I had a heart attack) find In-N-Out burgers to be pretty blah.

Max Q
Topic Author

Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:00 pm

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 22):
Have you gone through anything traumatic ?

Where should I start ?

Seriously I don't think its that, just a slow change away from the things I used to like.
Sincerely sorry you had to go through that jw and I hope you are enjoying good health now.

GGg