Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

IMissPiedmont
Topic Author

Avoid The Phisherman.

Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:41 pm

There is a certain member here that I am not permitted to name but he, she, or it, is always posting asking what your credit card company or bank is. You are aware that he, she, or it is phishing for personal information to steal your identity, I hope.

Seriously, do not give it any information. Really.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

ER757

RE: Avoid The Phisherman.

Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:55 pm

yeah, was wondering both why the mods didn't immediately delete those threads and why anyone would willingly post info to either of them.

photopilot

Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:56 pm

Absolutely RIGHT!!!

You NEVER give out your banking information or your credit card info, etc.

First that other poster wanted to know what bank you bank with, and then what credit card you use. And likely you could get a person's real name from the A.net site if they post photos. Too many data points for my liking. Someone is phishing IMHO?

So my answers are.....
I bank at the Bank of It's None of Your Damn Business.
My Credit Card is The Plastic That I Love Card!

Silver1SWA

Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:00 pm

I was really surprised to see how active those threads were with people discussing so openly.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Dreadnought

Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:01 am

Phishing has gotten so bad recently. You get emails that look EXACTLY like it's from your bank, AMEX or whoever.

Being a bit of a geek, I have a very long-standing habit of hovering my mouse over a hyperlink which will tell you in the status bar what URL it will take you to. But if you are among those who aren't such geeks enough to question why an American Express email is sending you to some scrambled address in Russia, how can you protect yourself?
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

KaiGywer

Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:32 am

Quoting ER757 (Reply 1):
yeah, was wondering both why the mods didn't immediately delete those threads and why anyone would willingly post info to either of them.

To answer your question. While sharing this information freely might not be the smartest idea, his threads broke no rules and as such were allowed to stay.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

opethfan

Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:56 am

Best way to counter phising is with phake inphormation  

Airstud

Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:20 am

I don't divulge my real name in my profile see, and even if someone had that information and also knew the fact that I BANK AT U.S. BANK IN MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA they wouldn't be able to do much. I've not given out my SSN, my PIN, my mom's maiden name, my billing ZIP code... To say nothing of my account number!

I like banking AT U.S. BANK IN MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA for several reasons, one of them is that their ATM receipts have nice-looking "location names." The same was true when I was a Bank of America customer in California, their ATM receipts would list "ORINDA" or "UNION SQUARE" or "50 CALIFORNIA ST" or "SAN DIEGO MAIN" or "L.A. CIVIC CENTER" under "Location."

Contrast this with Wells Fargo ATM's. I used one at the Albertson's store in Daly City and apparently I was at LBRTSN&DLY_C

Feh.

I'll take U.S. Bank's "EDEN PRAIRIE" "EDINA 50TH STREET" and "SANTA FE DOWNTOWN" any day.

(There are other criteria in play when I select a bank, but orthography is a big one  )

[Edited 2015-02-14 18:37:24]
Pancakes are delicious.

vikkyvik

Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:24 am

Quoting IMissPiedmont (Thread starter):
There is a certain member here that I am not permitted to name but he, she, or it, is always posting asking what your credit card company or bank is. You are aware that he, she, or it is phishing for personal information to steal your identity, I hope.

Agreed. I wasn't about to post in either of those threads, but I honestly didn't notice they were started by the same person till I read this one.

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 3):
I was really surprised to see how active those threads were with people discussing so openly.

I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

VapourTrails

Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:26 am

The 'alarm bells' started ringing when I saw the second one.. I thought, just leave it up to the mods to decide if to do anything with the threads...   

Airstud

Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:35 am

I believe the poster in question simply has curiosities about the personal finance wilderness.

He's not asking anyone for account information.
Pancakes are delicious.

cjg225

Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:04 pm

That's why I am keeping certain things hidden. Certain generalized information is practically useless.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

blueflyer

Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:09 pm

Quoting Airstud (Reply 10):
I believe the poster in question simply has curiosities about the personal finance wilderness.

On the one hand, I can't imagine what these curiosities would be that could not be answered more reliably and thoroughly with a simple web search. On the other, I find myself wondering the same thing about many other threads.

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 5):
To answer your question. While sharing this information freely might not be the smartest idea, his threads broke no rules and as such were allowed to stay.

BREAKING NEWS: 2CheckOut latest payment processor to be hacked. Hackers gained access to credit card numbers and names of customers of various web sites, including Demand Media. Hackers were further able to access checking accounts by matching customers names to user names and on to banking information carelessly disclosed.

Am I predicting the future, or is it happening now? How long did it take for the Target hack to be discovered?

Be afraid, very afraid!
(ok, that last bit was sarcasm, but still)

GIANCAVIA

Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:14 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 3):

Why so? Along with the likes of facebook etc it seems everyone wants the world to know every single thing they do, did or will in the future be a part of. They put work history, school history, real names, adresses lol.. It must be a gold mine for scammers on the net nowdays all because of narcissism.

Silver1SWA

Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:12 pm

Quoting giancavia (Reply 13):

Why so? Along with the likes of facebook etc it seems everyone wants the world to know every single thing they do, did or will in the future be a part of. They put work history, school history, real names, adresses lol.. It must be a gold mine for scammers on the net nowdays all because of narcissism.

That's the thing! It's narcissism.

When I saw the thread titles my initial reaction was someone is phishing. I opened those threads expecting to see the thread starter get flamed for asking for personal info. I kept reading the replies waiting for someone to bring up the concern. But nope! Especially in the credit card thread, I saw a lot of posters eager to show off their fancy credit.

Sharing that info might seem harmless on the surface, but who knows what else can be combined with that info to really cause some trouble. Never overestimate your online security and underestimate the power of the hacker.

[Edited 2015-02-15 11:13:02]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

vikkyvik

Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:55 pm

Quoting giancavia (Reply 13):
Why so? Along with the likes of facebook etc it seems everyone wants the world to know every single thing they do, did or will in the future be a part of.

...Which is all just as strange and off-putting to me as asking for people's banks and credit cards in forum threads.

There's nothing I hate more than going to lunch with some friends, coming home, and seeing that I have emails from Facebook saying "XXXXXX was with Vik at YYYYYY".

Seriously? Does the world need to know that we just had lunch somewhere?
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Silver1SWA

Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:21 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 15):

...Which is all just as strange and off-putting to me as asking for people's banks and credit cards in forum threads.

There's nothing I hate more than going to lunch with some friends, coming home, and seeing that I have emails from Facebook saying "XXXXXX was with Vik at YYYYYY".

That's why I got rid of Facebook for 4 years. I hated that my life was being put out there because of others' FB activities. Made avoiding a stalking ex-gf situation a real nightmare.

I'm back in FB now, but that thing is locked tight and only used for sharing/promoting my photography.

GIANCAVIA

Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:28 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 15):

Completely agree and I dont quite understand the satisfaction or motivation. Maybe people are obsessed with documenting everything? I have no idea. It certainy doesnt appeal to me in any way. Discussions? Sure.. even looking at pictures up to a point. But all that other crap is just so irrelevant I dont get it at all lol.

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 16):
I'm back in FB now, but that thing is locked tight and only used for sharing/promoting my photography.

I even got to the point where I just upload my photos on my pc for me to enjoy, Sure people can make the same comment over and over "nice shot" "cool shot" but it just doesnt do anything for me. Plus there tends to be 800 ppl taking the same picture anyway, Nothing seems new anymore .

a320fan

Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:43 am

The same member has now started s thread on what members favorite local restraunt they frequent often is. It really is quite suspicious.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

L0VE2FLY

Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:19 am

Quoting a320fan (Reply 18):
The same member has now started s thread on what members favorite local restraunt they frequent often is. It really is quite suspicious.

Looking at the picture on his profile page I predict his next thread will be: What Is Your Favorite Local Furniture Store?!  

ACDC8

Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:42 am

Quoting Airstud (Reply 10):

He's not asking anyone for account information.

Marketing. There is another poster on these forums that does the same thing and also does it on another board I frequent. Same poster, same questions. Starts the thread and never replies to it again. Starts another thread and never replies to it again.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

SaschaYHZ

Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:11 pm

Not overly concerned in a sense...they know what bank Im with...then what "Hi, my name is Sascha and I'd like to withdraw all my money"

"Ok, just going to ask you a few security questions..."

To which the answers will be along the lines of "Ummm...er....uhh...dunno?"

B747forever

Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:40 pm

Quoting SaschaYHZ (Reply 21):

"Ok, just going to ask you a few security questions..."

To which the answers will be along the lines of "Ummm...er....uhh...dunno?"
What Is Your Favorite City To Visit? (by FriscoHeavy Feb 16 2015 in Non Aviation)

I am sure we will see more similar threads soon from the same member.
Work Hard, Fly Right

FriscoHeavy

Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:46 pm

Guys, I'm not phishing anyone. Chill out. I've been around the forum for some time. Chill the hell out. Nothing I've asked can be used by me to get any information. I'm a fellow anetter that loves aviation, finances, building homes and a myriad of other passions. Look me up, i'm in Frisco, TX .. There is nothing to hide.
Whatever

GIANCAVIA

Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:51 pm

People providing answers that could be there security word etc without even considering what they are doing. CC Check, City Check, Places you eat out and use those cards Check, Oh so what are you guys mothers maiden names I am curious because I have a mother lol. Some gullible folks on here.

FriscoHeavy

Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:54 pm

There is a credit card forum under FlyerTalk that talks about what credit cards people use, best ones, etc and no one thinks twice over about accusing someone of "phishing". Thought I would pose it over here and see what people use for most of their traveling, etc.

People, lighten up. If the topic doesn't interest you, don't respond. I'm great with that. Only 2 of my questions are related to "money" and neither of them ask anything personal.
Whatever

FriscoHeavy

Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:56 pm

Am I limited to how many questions I can ask, or the content of those questions?

This is the non-aviation forum that covers all other topics. I had some time to kill this weekend just asked general questions to give me something to read on here that isn't negative or bashing Fox News or talking about ISIS, etc.

Two of the topics I started I can actually use -- favorite restaurant and city. It gives me ideas of where I should take my wife on vacation and when there, where we should eat.
Whatever

vikkyvik

Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:29 pm

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 23):
Look me up, i'm in Frisco, TX

OK, but you'll need to provide your name and home address.

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 25):
neither of them ask anything personal.

Um, all 4 of your threads ask something personal. What credit card do you use, who do you bank with, what's your favorite restaurant, and what's your favorite city - those are all personal questions.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for you to answer why John Stewart is an:

immoral, blow-hard, unconstitutional scumbag

bgm

Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:35 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 27):

... and social security number too, just ya know, out of curiosity 'n stuff...  
Anyway, I'm still waiting for you to answer why John Stewart is an:

immoral, blow-hard, unconstitutional scumbag

Clearly it's because Jon Stewart doesn't disclose his personal details on a.net. 

FriscoHeavy

Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:46 pm

I'm sure if I ask what your favorite color is, people will freak out about that too.

Not everyone is out with a malicious intent. I enjoy aviation and a multitude of topics. It's not as if I just popped in here one day asking for the info. I've contributed to posts for a while now (had a technical question about the 738 vs 320). Get off your paranoid horses people.
Whatever

FriscoHeavy

Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:48 pm

In addition, ask KLM672 (fellow anet member), we meet for dinners and shoot the bull all the time.
Whatever

falstaff

Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:59 pm

Um, all 4 of your threads ask something personal. What credit card do you use, who do you bank with, what's your favorite restaurant, and what's your favorite city - those are all personal questions.

I don't think the last two are very personal. A.net has numerous threads about traveling to different places and places to eat. The Trip Report section is loaded with stories about people visiting favorite cities and favorite places in them.

That being said, asking about credit cards and banks is rather personal on a forum like this. A conversation of among friends about banks and credit cards is normal. My friends and I talk openly about investments, bank rates and credit card interest rates. I wouldn't be discussing those topics with strangers though.

I can see how this info could be used in a scam way; "Dear sir on your recent visit to _____fill in name of restaurant____ in the city of _________ we believe your _____fill in type of credit card/bank debit card"______ was compromised. We need you to verify the your account information, please provide us with your account number for our investigation".

Quoting L0VE2FLY (Reply 19):
Looking at the picture on his profile page I predict his next thread will be: What Is Your Favorite Local Furniture Store?!

I have no problem telling people where I buy my furniture; Salvation Army and Craigslist...   Cash is King!

I have been wary of talking about finances with people who I have not known for a long time and have a strong relationship with. You never know who scammers are. My parents had a "friend" who ran the largest Ponzi scheme in Missouri History. I had dinner with this guy on many occasions and even went to his home several times. The man was a well respected St. Louis attorney and clergy member. My parents never invested a cent with the guy, even though his investment seemed ok and paid a good rate of return. My parents never wanted to have to discuss investments at church. It was a good thing my parents were cautious or else they would have been scammed by one of the best. This guy got over $100,000,000 and hosed some of the wealthiest people in St. Louis and well as many middle class people too. This guy operated for a couple of decades and never seemed like a scammer and was finally caught when his secretary stole from him and he turned her in, then she turned on him.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

FlyDeltaJets

Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:02 pm

There is a certain member here that I am not permitted to name but he, she, or it, is always posting asking what your credit card company or bank is.

So im guessing we are talking about the FriscoHeavy threads, I posted and not until I read here phising crossed my mind. True phising would be going after tangeble personal data not generic stuff like that. I simply saw those as polling threads. Lastly phising is a big deal and we should all be care full what websites we visit and whom we are giving personal information to. Look at the URL of websites you are visiting.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

FriscoHeavy

Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:02 pm

We buy furniture at IBB Design in Frisco, TX. I suppose if I ask that question it will somehow be misconstrued and people will worry I'm trying to do something to their bank accounts.
Whatever

vikkyvik

Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:19 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 31):
I don't think the last two are very personal.

They're not very personal. They are still personal questions, though. Especially asked of strangers on an internet forum.

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 29):
Not everyone is out with a malicious intent.

But some people are. And someone with malicious intent could be reading all these threads, too.

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 30):
In addition, ask KLM672 (fellow anet member), we meet for dinners and shoot the bull all the time.

Cool. I meet up with member nwadldc9 quite often too. So what?

wingman

Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:30 pm

Quoting L0VE2FLY (Reply 19):

I guess I'd get worried once it was "How Fast Can You Type Your Social Security Number?" or "What's Your Favorite Mother's Maiden Name?"

Anyway, it's a younger generation thing, they do like to show off their feathers and inadvertently end up sharing the many pieces of their personal life that an be used against them. I personally think Frisco is just curious but agree with others how shocking it is to see people blurt out that they bank with Citi, use the Chase Sapphire Card, and have a profile that says they live in Des Moines, Iowa. You might as well change your User Name to PSMID..PP (Please Steal My Identity..Pretty Please).

Anyway, just when they went and invented the Chip Card some goof ball invented Facebook and gave application fraud a whole new lease on life. Completely insane.

FriscoHeavy

Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:35 pm

There are whole forums dedicated for credit card stuff that talk about the things I've mentioned.

This being a non aviation forum is as good as any.

Nothing I said can cause any issues. There is nothing to flaunt from me, just starting general conversations. Other than being curious, I don't care who you bank with or what card you use. Just a conversation about peoples preferences as a whole, not trying to single out any single person for information.

Quit being weird anet people.
Whatever

bennett123

Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:51 pm

Dreadnought

Good point about the URL.

Brick

Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:08 pm

deleted post

I posted a "How To" I shouldn't have.  Smile

[Edited 2015-02-17 11:51:44]
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

wingman

Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:31 pm

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 36):

In the words of Andrew Grove.."only the paranoid survive". No dig against you Frisco, ask away. I happen to work in an industry that serves to protect against fraud and ID theft and people that freely share the information you seek are the biggest victims. Facebook is by far the biggest culprit. Between that site and this one any fraudster worth his salt probably has enough to take just about everyone on those other two threads to the cleaners. Assuming of course they're sharing their birthdays (as in their birth date), where they went to school, are linked to their mothers and she's got her maiden name out there etc etc. It really doesn't take much more than that to call into Cap One, catch a newbie phone agent, and off you go.

Anyway, please carry on. It's good for business.

Tugger

Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:28 pm

OK, so what actionable, demonstrable evidence do you have to make such claims?

While you note you won't/can't "name names" you provide sufficient information to target a particular member making your post a directed accusation that is aimed at a specific identifiable member. And you do so with no proof, merely accusations that the member is a bad person and up to no good.

I find that very poor behavior and it is or should be a violation of the rules here.

Quoting flydeltajets (Reply 32):
So im guessing we are talking about the FriscoHeavy threads, I posted and not until I read here phising crossed my mind. True phising would be going after tangeble personal data not generic stuff like that. I simply saw those as polling threads. Lastly phising is a big deal and we should all be care full what websites we visit and whom we are giving personal information to. Look at the URL of websites you are visiting.

I posted in the banking thread as well and I thought about it before I posted. I did not and do not see it as a phishing attempt (though like you i thought about it) as I did not and would not divulge any critical information.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

vikkyvik

Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:59 pm

(sorry, I missed this part of your post earlier)

Quoting falstaff (Reply 31):
That being said, asking about credit cards and banks is rather personal on a forum like this. A conversation of among friends about banks and credit cards is normal. My friends and I talk openly about investments, bank rates and credit card interest rates. I wouldn't be discussing those topics with strangers though.

Exactly. Even if it's not phishing, it's off-putting enough for me that I wouldn't be participating anyway. I don't even know what credit cards or banks my good friends use, for the most part.

Interestingly, I actually got a reply to this, though not in the forum, obviously. Now I'm not going to do anything with said information - not even check if it's valid - because I was joking and I don't care. But I'm rather surprised that I even got a reply.

Didn't get an answer to the John Stewart question, though. Still waiting for that.

(also got called a prick   )

Vik the Prick (hey, it even rhymes!)

Silver1SWA

Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:43 am

Quoting Brick (Reply 38):

It's a shame because you illustraded exactly what the potential problem is and I wish everyone on social media was forced to read your now deleted post as a lesson. But unfortunately, yes it could be used as a "how-to"...

Quoting Tugger (Reply 40):

The important thing to remember, and was illustrated quite well in Brick's deleted post is that each thread wasn't a problem on their own. It's when you combine them (and other info that can be looked up) that they start to become problematic.

I'm sorry the poster of these threads feels attacked and I believe that he was innocently curious. But that doesn't mean everyone shouldn't be cautious about sharing info.

tommy1808

Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:22 pm

Quoting wingman (Reply 35):
I guess I'd get worried once it was "How Fast Can You Type Your Social Security Number?" or "What's Your Favorite Mother's Maiden Name?"

Let's assume for a moment that someone hacked the servers of a payment provider that specializes in restaurants, yielding card numbers. Knowing favorite restaurant, name, the bank and the credit card is all you need to is some matching and make very good phishing mails. ...
It is pretty difficult to judge how important an information is w/o knowing which other information is available to the phisher...

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

FriscoHeavy

Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:41 am

tommy1808 -- I'm not a phisher!
Whatever

tommy1808

Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:03 am

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 44):
tommy1808 -- I'm not a phisher!

I am not saying so, just pointing out that supposedly harmless information may not be as harmless as many people like to assume.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

bgm

Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:51 pm

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 36):

Says the person who called Jon Stewart "unconstitutional"   

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 41):
Didn't get an answer to the John Stewart question, though. Still waiting for that.