FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

What Is Your Favorite Local Restaurant?

Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:17 pm

What is your favorite local restaurant you frequent often?

We (here in the Dallas area), eat at a Mexican restaurant called Mi Cocina probaly every 1-2 weeks.
Whatever

mayor

RE: What Is Your Favorite Local Restaurant?

Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:24 pm

Even though I don't live in your area, one of my favorites is right there in Frisco, TX.......it's a Greek restaurant called Platia Greek Kouzina........ http://www.platiagreek.com/

My brother-in-law lives in Little Elm and we try to go eat there whenever we visit him.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:30 pm

Hey mayor,

We have seen that place and keep meaning to try it. I will recommend it to the wife for next weekend's rotation.

Thanks!

***where do you live? How often you get down to Frisco?
Whatever

flymia

Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:38 pm

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Thread starter):
We (here in the Dallas area), eat at a Mexican restaurant called Mi Cocina

Went there when I was in Dallas for the first time. It was GREAT. 100% need to go there again next time I am in Dallas.

As for my favorite place in Miami. Man I have a lot, if there is something I do not mind spending money on it is travel and eating high quality food on weekend nights. I will post two places that came to mind right away that I enjoy the most.

1. Swine. It is a "fancy BBQ" place in Coral Gables, slightly pricy but great drinks, great food, great atmosphere. Awesome brisket, great ribs, and great shrimp and grits.

2. El Rinconcito De Santa Barbara. A Cuban/Puerto Rican place. No expensive at all, actually fairly cheap but great tasting Latin American food right in the middle of Hialeah. Sometimes it feels like you need a passport to get in the door.
Fried Plantains stuffed with meat and cheese, or a breaded chicken stuffed with cheese, ham and chorizo. Not exactly a healthy meal but a great tasting one!
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Superfly

Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:07 pm

ร้านอาหาร เรือนริมน้ำ-ลาดกระบัง Thai
It's a hidden treasure and a place every aviation spotter should go an have a real, authentic Thai experience an enjoy airplanes as well.

Other honorable mentions;

Bourbon Street - American
Rosano's - Italian
Raj Mahal - Indian
Mike's - Mexican (in Pattaya)
Bei Otto - German
Black Swan - British
Kowloon - Hong Kong Chinese
Beerfest - Russian/Soviet (in Pattaya)
Maki Maki - Japanese
Nadamos - Middle-Eastern
El Gaucho - Brazilian

All here in Bangkok with the 2 exceptions in Pattaya.
Bring back the Concorde

bgm

Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:37 pm

Oh, and which credit card do you use at your favorite restaurant?   

Avoid The Phisherman. (by IMissPiedmont Feb 14 2015 in Non Aviation)
OK boomer.

AzoresLover

Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:18 pm

My favorite restaurant is also right there in Dallas...as well as other cities.

Papadeaux!!!! I totally love that place!

I know of three Papadeaux in the Dallas area, and have eaten at all three. I've also eaten at one in Houston and one in Atlanta.
Those who want to do something will find a way; those who don't will find an excuse.

seb146

Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:08 pm

Silver Moon in Santa Rosa has really good curry chicken and pot stickers. Tortilla Town in Paso Robles as a Senor Frogs attitude with Chipotle prices. When we go to Reno, depending on which way we go, we will either stop at Toro Bravo in Truckee or Margaritas Mexican Cafe in South Lake.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

cybergus

Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:54 pm

Here in Miami there are great and awesome places. Out of the top of my list:

1. Bulla: A very nice place in the middle of Coral Gables for Tapas. Although it is a little bit pricey the flavor in the food takes you to Spain. Also their sangrias and liquors are a top!!!.

2. Yardbird: Located in the heart of SoBe, this place has authentic and very tasty southern food. The fried chicken with the mac and cheese is a must and their bourbons are unbelievable.

3. Crazy About You: Their prices are very acceptable and the view is amazing. It is right in the bay of Brickell and they have fixed menus with tendency in spanish and cuban food.

4. Finka: Barely new and in the west side of Miami, this restaurant offers a fusion of Cuban, Peruvian and Korean food that its a blowmind.

...I know im missing a lot more but its hard to make a short list in here.

Quoting flymia (Reply 3):
Swine. It is a "fancy BBQ" place in Coral Gables, slightly pricy but great drinks, great food, great atmosphere. Awesome brisket, great ribs, and great shrimp and grits.

Totally agree! A great place!

Quoting flymia (Reply 3):
El Rinconcito De Santa Barbara. A Cuban/Puerto Rican place. No expensive at all, actually fairly cheap but great tasting Latin American food right in the middle of Hialeah. Sometimes it feels like you need a passport to get in the door.
Fried Plantains stuffed with meat and cheese, or a breaded chicken stuffed with cheese, ham and chorizo. Not exactly a healthy meal but a great tasting one!

Gotta adventure myself into this one.

Cheers

Tavo
LAN Excellence in Flight

flymia

Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:10 pm

Quoting cybergus (Reply 8):
4. Finka: Barely new and in the west side of Miami, this restaurant offers a fusion of Cuban, Peruvian and Korean food that its a blowmind.

Yes! Great place, man is it west but really good.

1. Bulla:

Need to try this place out. Love Spanish food.

Yardbird and Crazy About You are two other great choices. Have not been to those two in a while but always enjoyed when I did, need to go again soon.

Gotta adventure myself into this one

It gets busy on the weekends but bring a few friends and order a bunch of different things. My favorite "low end" place in town.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

texan

Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:54 pm

In Wellington, I've become a big fan of Automat in Khandallah. Really good burgers, friendly staff, good beer selection. Also really like Pan de Muerto and 88.

In Dallas I prefer Chuy's for TexMex, Sangria Tapas and Bar, Alfonso's for pasta and garlic bread rolls, and Scalini's for pizza.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

L0VE2FLY

Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:09 am

Phil’s BBQ, one of the best BBQ restaurants in the US and definitely the best on the West Coast, it has 8151 reviews & 4.5 stars rating on Yelp!

San Diego has some of the best Mexican food outside of Mexico. I like Tacos El Gordo, they have stores in San Diego & Las Vegas.

Both restaurants are a must try when you visit San Diego.

Quoting bgm (Reply 5):

...and do you let the waiter take your credit card out of your sight to process the transaction?!   

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:14 am

LOVE2FLY,

yes, the waiter always takes the credit card out of sight to process the charge.
Whatever

LAX772LR

Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:03 am

Good lord, there's so many... not sure I could name just one. So these are my favorites by category.

In LAX:

SUSHI - Ichiban (Glendale)
THAI - The Palms (Hollywood)
VIETNAMESE - Simply Pho You
ETHIOPIAN - Meals By Genet
KOREAN - Moodaepo 2
PERSIAN - Shaherzad
POLISH - Warzawa
CHICKEN WINGS - OB Bear
FRIED CHICKEN - Honey's Kettle Fried Chicken (Culver City)
ITALIAN - tie: Anima (L.A.), Panini (West Hollywood)
BURGERS - Bob's Big Boy (Burbank)
BREAKFAST - Blu Jam Cafe (Calabasas/Woodland Hills)
STEAKS - Mastro's Penthouse (Beverly Hills)
BRAZILIAN - M. Grill
SOUL FOOD - Roscoe's House of Chicken & Waffles (multiple locations, prefer Hollywood)
BUFFET - Vegas Buffet (multiple locations, prefer Hollywood)

.....hope this helps anyone visiting the city.  
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

L0VE2FLY

Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:09 am

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 12):
LOVE2FLY,

yes, the waiter always takes the credit card out of sight to process the charge.

Good for you!  

Quoting Superfly (Reply 4):

Any recommendations in San Francisco?

OMP777X

Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:12 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 13):
STEAKS - Mastro's Penthouse (Beverly Hills)

Mastro's is incredible here in Chicago too, but I cannot afford to eat there regularly. I save that spot for special occasions. Their steaks are to die for!

Here in Chicago we have deep dish pizza, and the best restaurant for that is Lou Malnati's Pizzeria! Their Gold Coast location is awesome, great food and excellent ambiance! I'd eat there weekly like some people I know, but I don't want the high BP that would go along with eating that much cheese and sausage!

Best,

OMP777X
"Happy Flighting!"

seb146

Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:16 am

Quoting L0VE2FLY (Reply 14):
Quoting Superfly (Reply 4):

I know you were asking Superfly but I live in the North Bay so I will put my $.02 in: El Burrito Express on Taraval at 26th Ave.

a320fan

Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:41 am

Quoting bgm (Reply 5):

The same member asking for bank, credit card and now local restaurant is quite phishy...
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

JAGflyer

Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:58 am

Quoting a320fan (Reply 17):

My thoughts exactly. The next thread will be asking "Maiden name of your mother" just because it's a curious topic to talk about.
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:06 am

A320fan,

Relax brutha. Just starting fascinating topics for me and generating conversation on things other politics or negativity. Just fun topics that are non aviation related. If not interested, no need to contribute brutha.

Sincerely,
Whatever

LAX772LR

Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:29 am

Well "brutha," ya gotta admit that it's starting to look pretty phishy....
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

SmithAir747

Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:59 am

Anything featuring gourmet macaroni and cheese as a main entree at least.

There are a number of macaroni and cheese only restaurants in the USA, including Homeroom Mac and Cheese in Oakland, CA, several others in NYC, etc.

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:45 pm

SmithAir747,

You just made me really hungry for Mac N Cheese.
Whatever

Superfly

Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:22 am

Quoting a320fan (Reply 17):
Quoting bgm (Reply 5):

The same member asking for bank, credit card and now local restaurant is quite phishy...

FriscoHeavy must be a market research guy. Let's all start giving crap recommendations.   
Bring back the Concorde

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:28 am

Not a research guy here.
Whatever

Superfly

Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:42 am

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 24):
Not a research guy here.

Liar!   
Bring back the Concorde

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:55 am

Superfly,

You know it's not right to accuse someone of something when you have no facts and no idea what you are talking about. It's immoral and wrong to do so.
Whatever

Superfly

Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:59 am

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 26):
You know it's not right to accuse someone of something when you have no facts and no idea what you are talking about. It's immoral and wrong to do so.

I know.
We're just giving you $h!t.  
Bring back the Concorde

WarRI1

Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:35 am

I cannot honestly say that we have a favorite restaurant. I do not like to eat at the same place too often, so we are constantly moving around the area. Of course some we never return to for obvious reasons.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

seb146

Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:15 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 28):
I cannot honestly say that we have a favorite restaurant. I do not like to eat at the same place too often, so we are constantly moving around the area. Of course some we never return to for obvious reasons.

That is one thing I miss about living in the Pacific Northwest and one thing we don't have here in the North Bay: restaurant choices. There are a couple of okay places here but we have to go to SFO or East Bay for anything good. Otherwise, it is the same 10 or so restaurants. The food trucks here are all Mexican. That's cool but sometimes I want a plate of pad thai or schwarma or a good teryaki bowl from a truck.

WarRI1

Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:24 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 29):

I have an advantage. I live in the smallest state, so it is not far to find many restaurants.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Superfly

Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:01 am

Quoting L0VE2FLY (Reply 14):

Of the remaining good restaurants in San Francisco;

La Santaneca Salvadorian restaurant
3781 Mission St, at the corner of Mission & Richland ave. (not to be confused with the other one on 24th).
This place has the BEST papusas!   

May Lee's Chinese restaurant
They're in the Inner Sunset on 7th. ave. I've been going there since I first moved to San Francisco in 1995 and I make it a point to go there when I visit. They have the best fried rice an pot sticker/dumplings.

The best Italian restaurant (Villa Romana) shut down last year. So the 2nd. best is Golden Mirror on 18th & Taraval.

Tennessee Grill - for good ole American food. Best breakfast in town an their Denver omelet with home fried potatoes are ideal for hangovers. They're on Taraval also.

Chabaa Thai restaurant. They're at Irving & 23rd. in the Sunset. Owned by a Thai family from Thailand an they have authentic Thai food not served in other Thai restaurants.

For Mexican food, my favorite is in Hayward. It's Los Dos Hermanos.
They're burritos are the size of your thigh! It is really good too! Seasoned well, tender beef and they're homemade tortilla chips is to die for.

The Castro Cheesery for coffee & cheese. It's in the Castro, on Castro street. They have Southern Pecan flavored coffee. It's also very strong. I'm usually climbing the walls for 6 hours after drinking their coffee.

Seafood? This may sound incredibly generic but I have to say that the The Cheesecake Factory has the best salmon fillet of any restaurant I've been to. Most seafood places are very expensive and I usually order salmon. The biggest an tastiest I've had is at The Cheesecake factory. Sorry folks but the stuff sold at Fisherman's Wharf is a complete ripoff an most of the fish sold is from Alaska.

Quoting seb146 (Reply 16):
I know you were asking Superfly but I live in the North Bay so I will put my $.02 in: El Burrito Express on Taraval at 26th Ave.

Funny story about that place. Back in 1998, I ate a marijuana brownie on an empty stomach. I was stoned for 4 days!
By day 2, I was trying to do everything I could to suppress the high an get my energy back. I went to El Burrito Express. I ate 1 large beef burrito, 3 tacos an 2 bowls of chips. I was still stoned.
Bring back the Concorde

melpax

Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:03 am

Too many to mention here in Melbourne, though a couple of favorites;

Gino Fontain's, one of my local pizza shops. The same guys have owned this place forever, would have to be one of the best pizza shops in Melbourne.

Their Americana & Capri pizzas are fantastic, guys like these are why the pizza chains find Melbourne such a hard market to crack.

http://www.yelp.com.au/biz/gino-fontains-wantirna

David and Camy's noodle restaurant, near my old office in Box Hill.

Cheap as chips, down-market surroundings, and quick but brusque service, but the dumplings! Used to go to this place at least once a week, always packed and try to get there for a feed if I have a reason to go to Box Hill.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/71/76056...id-Camy-Noodle-Restaurant-Box-Hill
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

bunumuring

Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:56 am

Quoting melpax (Reply 32):
Too many to mention here in Melbourne, though a couple of favorites;

Mate!

My favs in Melbourne are that little Japanese crepe restaurant down an alley off Swanston ST past Bourke ST Mall, an Indian down the lane way off Flinders ST opposite the station and a Taiwanese el cheapo on Swanston ST opposite the library (they introduced to me to condensed milk and peanut butter bread rolls, swoon!)

Way too many to list in Sydney!

Cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

melpax

Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:31 am

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 33):

A few more places I'll have to check out, thanks!

stlgph

Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:19 am

New York City -- Pearl Oyster Bar
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

JAGflyer

Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:27 am

There are several local restaurants that I enjoy frequenting where I live however, one the places that is very local to where I work (Pearson Airport area) is a small Indian restaurant called Sweet India. The store has their trademark Indian sweets in many varieties however their better known for their delicious (and relatively cheap) curries. To date, I have yet to find a restaurant that has Butter Chicken that can come close to how good Sweet India's is. On Fridays, you can get a portion with rice and bread for around $7 tax-in. It's not fancy by any stretch but it's good, freshly prepared, homestyle Indian food. They are currently in the process of renovating their original location (which still showed it's past life as a 1970s burger/shake shop to a tee). At the moment they're operating out of a small unit in the same run-down plaza just north of the airport. If you ever have a spare hour near YYZ you have to swing by.

http://www.sweetindia.com - As I said, they're completely transforming themselves from a dilapidated straight-out-of-the-1980s business into a modern place.

[Edited 2015-02-20 17:32:37]
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

LFutia

Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:32 am

Most of my friends are Eastern European but one of my all time favourite restaurants in Chicago is called Sarajevo. Great Bosnian food! The prices look messed up but when you figure in tax, it comes out almost as an even number. It's a small restaurant but the food is good.

http://www.restaurantsarajevo.com/Menu.html

Leo/ORD
Leo/ORD

hoons90

Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:38 am

Toronto:

Yueh Tung
Pho Hung
Wakame Sushi
Pamier Kabob
Little India
Korea House
BCD Tofu House
Korean Village Restaurant
Salad King
Copacabana

Seoul:

Ilpum Hanwoo
Hyungjae Kalbi
Myeong-dong Kalguksu
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

blueflyer

Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:17 am

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Thread starter):
We (here in the Dallas area), eat at a Mexican restaurant called Mi Cocina probaly every 1-2 weeks.

You should try Blue Mesa or Calle Doce or something a little bit more... "exotic." Mi Cocina is Mexican food for gringos.

Now, if you know of a good Chinese restaurant that isn't a buffet within driving distance of DFW, I'm interested.
This space forcibly cleansed to protect truthers

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:34 pm

Blue Mesa is a very good place to. We had a group brunch thete the morning after we got married.

Mi Cocina has a salad that is nearly impossible to beat as well as several fajita entrées.

We do know an amazing Chinese restaurantin North Dallas off of Preston. A bit pricey, but very very good. I agree that it's impossible to find a good chinese buffet....I'd rather eat at Panda Express.
Whatever

L0VE2FLY

Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:28 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 16):
Quoting Superfly (Reply 31):

Thanks.

edgaren

Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:53 am

Cafe Sevilla in the Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego Ca has some pretty good food, that and the cozy atmosphere make it a perfect place for dining out. For mexican food HillCrest in San diego has some very good places too.

B777LRF

Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:30 am

NOMA, Kokkeriet, Retour, Kiin Kiin, Geranium and Formel B.

All in Copenhagen, all carrying one or more Michelin stars.

I don't to chain restaurants. Ever.
Signature. You just read one.

mayor

Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:13 pm

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 2):

***where do you live? How often you get down to Frisco?

I live in Fort Smith, Arkansas.......we get down there to visit, probably once or twice a year.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

melpax

Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:05 am

Quoting LFutia (Reply 37):

Chevap, yum.....

aerdingus

Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:19 pm

I can't pick now...   

I do always seem to end up in Acapulco (guess the cuisine) in Dublin though. Deep fried ice cream   
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340