Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Max Q
Topic Author

When You Make A Racist Joke Are You A Racist?

Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:17 am

What do you think , is joking about race harmless or does that make you guilty of racism ?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

IAHflyer97

RE: When You Make A Racist Joke Are You A Racist?

Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:21 am

I'm white, so I make sure to balance it out between white jokes and other jokes. No one is safe from me and my horrible jokes!

Some probably do believe I'm racist, but in actuality, I just have a terrible sense of humor.

[Edited 2015-02-18 22:32:16]
A man is only as big as the amount of strings on his guitar.

Airstud

Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:25 am

Pancakes are delicious.

afterburner

Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:33 am

No, if the joke is about your own race/ethnic group.  

DocLightning

Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:12 am

Quoting Max Q (Thread starter):
What do you think , is joking about race harmless or does that make you guilty of racism ?

It makes you a racist. Everyone is a little bit racist. It's possible to be racist in a pure humor and with no fang to it, but only in situations where you know your audience very well is it a good idea to use that.

I've told racist jokes against my own race and other races. I try not to now. Some of them are just funny. I do tell Jewish doctor jokes because I'm a Jewish doctor. Now, I do acknowledge that I'm racist (although working on it), but acknowledging it is the only way to move past it. When I ensure that I acknowledge the skin color of someone in front of me and then check myself to see that I treat them the same way I would anyone else, then I can move past the worst kind of racism: the unintentional kind.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

ElanusNotatus

Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:04 am

I guess it comes down to intent and target. It would also depend on how one defines racism. If it means making adverse judgments or adversely discriminating against a target group on the basis of race, then jokes where race is the central theme and where the intent is to belittle people, then such jokes would be racist.

"There is an Englishman, a Scotsman and an Irishman." In this type of joke it is clear that the Irishman will come off worst. The intent is always to belittle the Irishman and a large part of the humour depends on a widespread belief that the Irish are as daft or thick as they are portrayed. It serves to reinforce the idea that the Englishman is indeed superior to the lesser kind.

"I was on the way to the synagogue and I met the rabbi..." In this type of joke the humour is self-deprecating. Sure the joke rests on stereotypes but they are stereotypes drawn from one's culture. They do not seek to belittle or out down people of another race or culture. In that way I would think they are not racist in the way other jokes that seek another group as the "butt of humour".

There worst kind of "humourist" is the one who deliberately makes a pointed racist comment and when challenged tries to pass it off as "a joke".
Crawl, walk, fly into the future

sebolino

Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:17 am

Of course not !
Since when making fun about somebody means that you hate him (more of that for racial reasons) ?

I knew a jew which had numerous funny jokes about jews.

Superfly

Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:35 am

I refrain from making jokes about other races. There are so many other ways to crack jokes without going there.
Bring back the Concorde

gkirk

Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:47 am

I'm not racist.

I'll take the piss out of anyone  
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

aloges

Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:53 am

If you make it because you actually do feel superior, you are a racist. Otherwise, probably not.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

oly720man

Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:04 am

Any different from the "satirical" cartoons that were recently in the news where freedom of speech became the mantra? Or were those on a different intellectual level from simple finger pointing jokes?
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

mariner

Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:19 am

Quoting gkirk (Reply 8):
I'll take the piss out of anyone

Including myself.  

mariner
aeternum nauta

vikkyvik

Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:41 pm

It's not an either/or proposition. It CAN be harmless, or it CAN be due to actual racism.

But as a general rule, no, making racist jokes does not make you a racist by default (outside of the fact that everyone is a little racist, as stated by other posters above).

Then again, I've been told that saying "god" makes me a theist, so....  
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

ArmitageShanks

Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:27 pm

Nobody is safe from being made fun of or the butt of a joke. Nobody.

seb146

Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:57 am

Quoting afterburner (Reply 3):
It makes you a racist.

Not always. If a white person has an intimate relationship with a specific racial group, that white person can probably get away with some "racist" joke with them.

Being gay and having Mexican friends I am very close with, I can tell *SOME* Mexican and/or gay jokes. They know that does not make me racist. I know I could not walk into a Mexican neighborhood and tell a perfect stranger the same joke. It is all about context.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 4):
Everyone is a little bit racist.

Yes. As much as I dislike Koreans, I would never ever tell a Korean joke. That is just stupid. I had two uncles (married my father's sisters) who immigrated from Poland. They would tell Polock joke after Polock joke. They knew perfectly well what it meant. And I knew I could never get away with it. Context.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Max Q
Topic Author

Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:12 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 12):
It's not an either/or proposition. It CAN be harmless, or it CAN be due to actual racism.

But as a general rule, no, making racist jokes does not make you a racist by default (outside of the fact that everyone is a little racist, as stated by other posters above).

Agree with all that, my rather simple viewpoint is it's not racist unless addressed to a member of the 'belittled' race

As stated though, this can be ok (not racist ) if you know this person (very) well and it's all in good humor

I also agree that everyone is at least a little bit racist.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

Superfly

Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:58 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 12):

The fact that you didn't spell God with a capital 'G' makes you a blasphemer!
You ol' heathen!   
Bring back the Concorde

flyingturtle

Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:15 pm

A muslim has worked hard all his life and buys a house next to a surgeon. In all aspects, the houses are the same.

"Hello neighbour, I just bought this house! I'm so happy to have a more beautiful home than you!"

- "But my dear neighbour, we have the same house!"

"You don't understand! I live next to a doctor and you live next to a muslim!"

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

Superfly

Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:22 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 17):

That would be a religious joke, not a racial joke.
So that wouldn't be considered a 'racist' joke.
Still in poor taste regardless.
Bring back the Concorde

vikkyvik

Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:39 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 16):
The fact that you didn't spell God with a capital 'G' makes you a blasphemer!
You ol' heathen!

Neil Peart is God. Everyone else is god.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Superfly

Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:45 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 19):
Neil Peart is God. Everyone else is god.

So true!
You & I are going to burn in hell for that one.   
Bring back the Concorde

sccutler

Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:51 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 7):
I refrain from making jokes about other races. There are so many other ways to crack jokes without going there.

+1.

There should be a presumption of innocent intent, but in this day and age, the presumption has been lost. Best to avoid even the appearance of impropriety - just prudent.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

Tugger

Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:40 pm

There are two separate elements in your statement:
Is joking about race harmless?
Does making jokes about race make one racist?

Regarding if it is harmless - "Harm" is based on the view of the receiver and audience. Watching two people beat the hell out of each other could be viewed as "harmful" or it could be a UFC match. Context and intent are needed for harm. Many people view these types of fight as essentially "bad" but many do not. So there is no one answer to your question, you cannot and will not please everyone. Sometimes a joke can be harmful and sometimes it is fine and even appropriate, and that will change based on who you ask.

Regarding if it makes you racist - Again it depends on the person. If you acknowledge that you are naturally biased and work at keeping aware to always treat people equally (which we can never achieve) then you are likely not a racist (*while understanding that, as noted above, "everyone is a little bit racist"   ) per what most define as a racist. However you need be aware of your audience, your intent, and the actual joke itself. You could still be a racist, just in denial, or you could be an idiot, or insensitive, etc. So I don't think making a joke MAKES you a racist, it is just revealing as to what kind of person you might be.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

WarRI1

Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:16 pm

I do not make them myself. Now ethnic insults and jokes were very common in my days of working. I made them, we all did years ago. It did not take you long to realize who was serious and who used them to bust your chops as a way to break the monotony of the job. It was a tradition, that continued as long as I worked.

I never saw any fights either. I never used the vulgarity for black people. I really do not know why. I found it distastful. I was called Wop many times becaause of my Italian heritage. I even used it for other Italians while busting balls. We survived, and remained friends. Not something my wife really understood. I guess you had to be a man to understand. All male crews then.

[Edited 2015-02-20 10:33:35]

[Edited 2015-02-20 10:38:35]
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

flyingturtle

Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:18 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 18):
Still in poor taste regardless.

The muslim in the joke actually acknowledges and uses the anti-muslim sentiments to his own benefit. But jokes die if you try to explain them...

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down