Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

IAHflyer97
Topic Author

Worst Pain You've Felt

Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:53 am

Title pretty much says it all. What's the worst you've ever been hurt (physically specifically)

Here's mine

I was 10 I think and I went with my sister to an ice skating rink. Just as I was starting to gain confidence and start to get good at skating, they kicked us off the ice so they could Zamboni it. So now it's all fresh, no grip AND I've lost my touch a little bit. Again, I begin to gain confidence and start to get brave. Then some kid decides to speed right by me and knock me backwards (y'all probably know how this is going to end by now). When I fell, I didn't react like I normally do and fall on my side. Instead, I fell straight backwards. I hit my head hard on the ice. When it hit, I just heard a loud bang and a horrible pain enveloped the back of my head. After about 5 seconds, I got up on my own and clumsily skated off the ice to my father who was horrified. For the next few days, I had pretty bad headache and a slight ringing in my ears which still comes back about once a day for a while.

If I wasn't concussed by that one, I don't think a hit will ever be bad enough to do so without killing me.

Kind of a depressing thread, but what's the worst you've ever been hurt?
A man is only as big as the amount of strings on his guitar.

fr8mech

RE: Worst Pain You've Felt

Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:01 pm

I can't remember pain, so I really can't compare some past pain to another.

But, I suspect that a shoulder dislocation about 25 or so years ago would qualify.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Scruffer

Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:24 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 1):

I can't remember pain, so I really can't compare some past pain to another.

But, I suspect that a shoulder dislocation about 25 or so years ago would qualify.

Somewhat similar here. I only remember a few painful events. Of those the worst was the day after I broke my foot (down near the smallest toe). It was the first day back to college and I had alot of walking to do.

Thinking back on it, I think the imagined pain was worse then the actual pain I had that day (and that night!).

Other than that, it would be some type of tooth pain I think.

AR385

Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:28 pm

I used to do horse back riding. I was 21, and training a young one and while jumping a fence he got tangled. I was thrown forwards and ahead but he did a cartwheel and he landed on my right shoulder which was destroyed. Basically. No reconstruction was possible.So I have a shoulder joint made of plastic and titanium.

The pain was something I cannot even describe. Beyond anything I had ever felt or felt again. I could not even move my lips. The ride in the ambulance was agony. One of those things you would not even wish on your worst enemy. To this day I cannot understand how the human body is able to produce so much pain.

zkojq

Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:13 pm

Late 2009. Massive operation on my chest cavity to insert a titanium bar to help my breathing. Two hour operation took nearly four due to complications (mainly due to me being obscenely thin). Titanium bar sits right against my sternum + lungs and is drilled into my rib cage at either side. Operation involves breaking ribs inorder to make the bar fit.

Breathing puts pressure on titanium bar, causing massive pain on the sternum and ribs. This means that for the first few weeks afterwards breathing in more than ~50% capacity is very, very painful and for three or four months breathing in more than ~70% is uncomfortable. The pain on the chest cavity weakens you to the point where you can't sit-up on your own for four or five days. For that same period, walking can only be done with a walking frame (and with a nurse walking alongside just in case). Whenever moving your arms you have to make sure that your elbows never go close to your ribcage because if they touch it the pain was awful.

Sleeping was horrible; I naturally sleep on my side, but due to the attachments of the bar against my ribcage (example xray link here: http://imgur.com/rB9IUhZ ), that is out of the question. Sleeping flat was also not really possible, because lying down fully is too painful. As a result you have to be propped up with pillows at an awkward angle (a la Qantas Skybed) which makes sleeping uncomfortable and a real hassle. The lack of sleep makes you irritable and has detrimental effects of your health.

The worst of all this pain was a few days after the operation. I was sitting on my hospital bed. I could feel a sneeze coming on. When you sneeze you need to hold the side of your chest where the bar meets the rib-cage (painful doing that in itself), otherwise the pressure on the sternum from the bar (from your lungs) as you sneeze is too much. I did this as I sneezed, but in doing so lost my balance and fell off the bed. The pain at this point was beyond imaginable; a level or two above what I've ever felt before and it seemed to last forever. I didn't break an arm thankfully, but the fall had caused the titanium bar to move to a slightly oblique angle.

The rest of the recovery was painful, but not as bad as that. It took a few months to be able to walk comfortably and six months to run/jog comfortably. Once I could sleep on my side painlessly, things were pretty straight forward. Because coughing was painful, I always did what I could to avoid it. In the winters in the years after the operation I had loads of colds, which I assume can be linked to this. Nowadays though it doesn't cause any issues at all. I can very faintly see the bar in my chest when looking in the mirror, but it isn't obvious or anything. I usually forget that I have it and haven't even thought about it for several months.  

Still, one of the worst things I felt about the whole thing was how helpless I was. As my surgeon said before the operation 'once you do this, there is no going back and even with painkillers you will be in sever pain for months'. He wasn't wrong. When it hurts to breathe or make even small movements, life is pretty awful.

Other than that, I'm very blessed and have had a generally pain free life.  
First to fly the 787-9

jetwet1

Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:22 pm

ZKOJQ

I feel your pain.

I had open heart surgery Jan 6th this year, I had/have pretty much the same issues, as a front sleeper I can honestly say, I haven't has a good night's sleep since the operation, well okay maybe when i was knocked out.

I honestly thought (as i've broken a few ribs in my time) they would be the painful part of the recovery, but as you note, it's sneezing, only those that have gone through this surgery can understand the pain levels,i've broken every major bone in my body at one point or another, they pale in comparison.

The only thing that topped sneezing on the pain level, was when they removed the drainage tubes, I thought those things were like the size of aquarium air hoses....Wrong....Try 1/2 inch and long, so so long.

As the nice doctor told me "this is going to hurt, a lot, on the count of 3"

Well I figured she would pull them on 2, nope she went on 1..... My wife thank god wasn't in the room, she's seen me hurt myself, she knows my tolerance levels for pain, she would have been shocked at my reaction I am sure, she did hear me though and she was at the other end of the hospital ward.

I've been lucky enough to find a good group of people that have been through this same procedure, they act as a support group, in talking to them, one of the women described having the drainage tubes removed as being worse than giving birth to a child, without any pain meds.

Quoting ZKOJQ (Reply 4):
The worst of all this pain was a few days after the operation. I was sitting on my hospital bed. I could feel a sneeze coming on. When you sneeze you need to hold the side of your chest where the bar meets the rib-cage (painful doing that in itself), otherwise the pressure on the sternum from the bar (from your lungs) as you sneeze is too much. I did this as I sneezed, but in doing so lost my balance and fell off the bed. The pain at this point was beyond imaginable; a level or two above what I've ever felt before and it seemed to last forever. I didn't break an arm thankfully, but the fall had caused the titanium bar to move to a slightly oblique angle.

Wow, I can only imagine, the one savior for me was this red heart shaped pillow they gave me, any time i had to cough or sneeze I had to clutch that to my chest, that thing saved me from a lot of pain, I cannot imagine what falling out of bed must have felt like.

For those of you that have ever been hurt and been given morphine for the pain, I am sure ZKOJQ will agree, it didn't even touch this, not one bit, I was expecting it to knock down the pain level as it had with other injuries, nope, not even close.

I ended up being prescribed Dilaudid, now....If you are ever offered this in hospital, the answer is always yes, whoever came up with it, I worship you, of course in very limited doses, but if you want to be comfortable after a major trauma, that's what you want.

bunumuring

Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:39 pm

Easy.
I had my heart removed from my body, rebuilt, and reinstalled. I was technically dead for five hours out of the nine hours of surgery while my heart was out of my body.
I have a chest of metal now, I joke with people, with ribs replaced by metal bars and supports and some mesh around a part of my heart.
The pain when I woke up 12 hours after surgery is something I cannot even begin to describe and it lasted for 6 months. I can feel the metal bars in my chest where the stubs of my ribs have 'bonded' with the metal but I'm in no pain now, a few years after the operation. Weirdly, I woke up before I should have, when my body was still chilled to 21 degrees Celsius and I was being wheeled out of surgery. My then-wife and attending nurses saw that I was awake, and in panic they injected me with another large dose of anesthesia drugs that kept me asleep for 12 hours.
The metal in my chest makes for interesting trips through airport metal detectors, let me assure you!
I was not expected to survive surgery, but I did, and naturally the pain and lifelong medical implications were worth it considering the second chance I was given.
The cardiothoracic surgeons in Australia and the US and Switzerland who jointly worked on my case saved my life with their cutting edge medical knowledge and skills. Naturally I am eternally grateful for them. They themselves warned me that the pain I would suffer was on the absolute edge of human tolerance. The morphine I was on, and the drugs such as Endone I was prescribed, did absolutely nothing to ease the pain for weeks.
Interestingly, I severed a finger when a child in a freak accident. I felt no pain when it happened, nor in the ambulance, until they started sedating me for microsurgery in hospital to reattach my finger. Even afterwards in recovery, the pain wasn't too substantial.
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

PS: I live with the knowledge that I have approximately seven minutes to live if I get hit hard in the chest, fall heavily onto my chest, or have a car airbag go off and hit me in the chest, as inevitably the metal bars and supports will rupture my arteries and or pierce my heart itself. Worth it however, for a second chance. Thus the 'tagline' on all my posts on a.net, taken from my favourite Bon Jovi song...

[Edited 2015-02-28 06:53:21]
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

flyingturtle

Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:57 pm

Middle ear ache. The pain was so terrible that I clenched my teeth, which led to even worse chewing muscle pain.

Then, a neighbour cleaned the place in front of her apartment door wet. When it was freezing. Not seeing the ice, I slipped and fell right on my back. The bruise on the head was not the problem, despite feeling a bit concussed. It was the broken spine thing of the vertebral column... it hurt for weeks to come.

From time to time I get somewhat fractured ribs when playing volleyball. It hurts for a week, then it subsides. Twice or thrice every year...

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

Tigerguy

Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:17 pm

I think this thread should be required reading for everybody who uses this website, and perhaps the internet in general. It's a brilliant lesson on perspective. We could all kick it at any time, but some have the knowledge of a specific thing that could do the deed. I am lucky enough to say that the worst pain I've yet experienced is aerosinusitis. I'd imagine a few of the people on here have gone through it as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerosinusitis

I'd had well over 200 flights before it happened a couple times on one travel day. Hasn't happened on any flight since then; that was mid-January. The first time, I was wondering if I was having a stroke or some other serious brain problem. I just had to sit there and look like I wasn't in great pain and hope nothing happened before we landed. Between flights, I kinda picked up on signs that it may have been due to the pressure changes. The second time, it confirmed my suspicions. Then I discovered that it had a name. Hopefully, my luck will continue to hold and my current top entry will not be dislodged.
Good night, and keep watching the skis. Uh, skies.

MrChips

Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:10 pm

Echoing the sentiment that it's rare that major injuries hurt. When I broke my leg skiing when I was 11, I didn't feel it until a few days afterward, and even then it was little more than a dull ache. Nor did I feel it when I ruptured an Achilles tendon playing squash almost 15 years ago either. Pretty sure with the leg I was experiencing the early stages of shock, but the Achilles is a bit of a mystery; other people I know who have done it said it was the most pain they've ever felt, while others had my experience, with no pain whatsoever.

But the most pain I ever experienced was when I dislocated my kneecap. The pain was so bad I literally threw up (though seeing my kneecap pointed at my other knee probably didn't help much), and it didn't let up for like a week after the surgery. A close second was when I drilled through the tip of my thumb with a big, blunt screwdriver bit hanging drywall. Take it from me, some shortcuts aren't worth taking!

[Edited 2015-02-28 09:11:13]
Time...to un-pimp...ze auto!

Boeing717200

Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:40 pm

Post appendix removal operation circa 1980. They found a rather large but benign tumor in the process and cut and cut and cut and cut.... The tumor was about the size of a baseball. The procedure then was much different from today. I couldn't walk for three weeks without help as the muscles recovered. My sister had her appendix taken out a couple of years ago. Two or three small holes and she walked out the hospital a day later, no tumor of course, but I'd imagine the procedure is probably a lot less invasive. Me, I still get twinges of localized pain in the area from time to time. Like a tiny pulled muscle. I had one so bad one time about 15 years ago that they did a sonogram to see if something had been left in there, but nothing. Just the way everything went back together. I call it my reminder of the first thing it my childhood that was a really really big deal.
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

CplKlinger

Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:18 pm

The worst pain I've ever felt? Being a Bears and Cubs fan....

779X

Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:21 pm

Getting a cystoscopy. oh man that was painful.

Kiwirob

Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:31 pm

I did something to my back deadlifting last Sunday, I was warming up, lifting 100kg, I realised something was wrong with my form on the way up, I should have dropped it but kept going and bang couldn't walk properly for 2 days, it was the most intense pain I've ever felt.

SmithAir747

Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:43 am

Getting hit by a pickup truck whilst walking across a street (on a flashing crosswalk), breaking my tibia and fibula a month ago, would be the worst pain I've felt in my life, probably. (It happened January 28 this year in Calgary.)

Other things that might come quite close to "most painful" in my life would be the deep corneal ulcer I got in my right eye in 1998, or maybe the numerous craniofacial reconstructive surgeries over my childhood that involved cutting and repositioning bones.

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

UltimateDelta

Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:58 am

The worst that comes to mind for me came from a fall while skiing a few years ago...I don't think there was any lasting damage or anything, but it was a pretty uncomfortable two weeks afterward. If I sat up too straight, I'd get a sharp pain on my left side, and if I hunched over to ease it, I'd feel something in my back, like a cramp that wouldn't go away. Of course, given some of the other stories in this thread, it doesn't sound so bad in hindsight!

Quoting MrChips (Reply 9):
Echoing the sentiment that it's rare that major injuries hurt.

Same here- I broke my wrist last summer and had surgery to put a metal plate in to hold it all together, but after getting home from the hospital, I think a single ibuprofen was all I ended up needing for the duration of the recovery period.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

MrHMSH

Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:25 am

I've got nothing on these stories, but having a (failed) operation on my ingrowing toenails was agony as the local anesthetic did not work, so for the hour operation I was screaming and crying (and this is after my sensitive phase was over). Doing the Duke of Edinburgh with ingrown toenails was rather painful, every time I kicked a rock (often) it was very painful. I gained mainy pairs of red socks  

zachary165

Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:50 am

hernia surgery... I woke up and about an hour later, (after anesthetics wore off) it felt as if I was getting a constant shot to the groin. The pain persisted for about a week.
"Keep true to the dreams of thy youth." - Schiller

JAGflyer

Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:24 am

Quoting 779x (Reply 12):

There's no way anything is going up there (catheter, scope, etc) without me being knocked out and heavily medicated.

I think the worst pain I've felt would be the few occasions where I have been hit in the groin. As any guy will know, that's a very sensitive area and the pain can be excruciating. You feel it shoot up into your chest and it just radiates for what seem like hours.
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

WarRI1

Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:58 am

Two broken arms, two hernia surgeries, tonsil removal with complications, and also many stitchs and I feel very fortunate after reading some of these stories. Good luck to you all.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

a320fan

Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:29 am

The 3 days or so after I had all 4 wisdom teeth surgically removed.

Some of these story's are absolutely horrible.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

DocLightning

Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:04 am

I had really bad spasms in my back when I was a teenager. I was captain of the swim team. I'm an Eagle Scout. I was a big, strong kid.

They knocked me out of chairs. One hit while I was driving and I almost crashed. I was in the orthopedist's office being checked and there was a lady in there with the same thing. Someone asked if they were worse than labor pains and she said: "Oh, honey, labor pains are nothing compared to this!"

I have an autoimmune disease called ankylosing spondylitis which is like rheumatoid arthritis of the back. When people talk to me about back pain, they really have no idea.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Max Q

Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:23 am

Divorce after a 30 year marriage.

Next to that was a third degree burn on my foot in a motorcycle accident.

If I had to choose i'd take the burn.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

sbworcs

Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:04 pm

I have been quite lucky and really the worst i have felt was tooth related (had some fragmented enamel from an extraction stuck in the gum and gradually working its way through - in the end I could pull it out with tweezers

Christmas Even 2013 my Nephew was taken to A & E with what we though was appendicitis - turns out he had a twisted testicle which had "died" inside so needed to be removed. Had the operation that afternoon!

The other time I have seen someone in so much pain was when my ex had a kidney stone.
The best way forwards is upwards!

Acheron

Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:28 am

Testicular Torsion and the subsequent radical orchiectomy recovery process.

That sucked, a lot. Specially when going to the bathroom which is something you can't avoid at all...

seb146

Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:55 am

Quoting IAHflyer97 (Thread starter):
What's the worst you've ever been hurt (physically specifically)

meh... I have had physical pain. Supposed torn meniscus, torn ankle, 20 stitches from a box knife. Those can be eased with prescriptions and adult beverages. Emotional pain is way worse. Says the Canucks fan of 25+ years...
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

AAlaxfan

Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:21 am

December 4, 2000

Started with a slight stinging sensation in my lower left back at 4 pm. By 5 pm I was doubled over in the most incredible pain ever, banging my head on the car window, just to give me a headache so I wouldn't think of my back pain. When I got to the ER, I was given 4 units of Morphine. Nurse came back, asked how I was. I asked her when the medication would take effect, she came back with 4 units of Demerol. Pain level never went below "7" on the scale. After testing that night, they found a tennis ball sized tumor on my left kidney. Had it removed, the tumor and my left kidney, on Dec 6, 2000 and was told it was malignant. Renal Cell Carcinoma, Kidney Cancer. Fortunately it was stage 2 and I needed no further treatment. Had no other symptoms until that point except that minor sting in the back, which I felt on rare occasions.

Point of story:
Don't ignore any of your pains. Your body is telling you something. Get it checked out. I got lucky.
My favorite airport is the one I'm flying to! :airplane:

Kiwirob

Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:32 am

Quoting Acheron (Reply 24):

Did you loose the nut? I've been told this is about the most painful experience a guy can go through then its often backed up by the emotional suffering cause by the loss of the testicle.

AirPacific747

Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:20 am

I once dropped a table on my toe while trying to lift and move the table itself, resulting in a lot of bleeding and after a few days the nail died and fell off. Lucky I didn't break the toe.

I also once fell backwards while roller skating resulting in my helmet being split in two on impact. Hurt a lot despite wearing the helmet and I temporarily lost some short term memory. Glad I did wear that helmet!

aerdingus

Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:59 am

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 6):

Oh god!!  Wow!

I've sprained fingers and broken toes, stretched ligaments but the worst pain for me is emotional pain, without sounding like a drama queen! Amazing how the actions of someone can sometimes leave you feeling winded.
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

AF1624

Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:23 pm

Quoting Max Q (Reply 22):
Next to that was a third degree burn on my foot in a motorcycle accident.

Oh boy I feel you.

Two-degree burns on my entire right leg, left thigh and both hands after an idiotic attempt at lighting a barbecue with petrol, with third-degree spots on the right thigh.

Worst pain wasn't immediately during / after the burn, funnily enough - it wasn't even during the cleaning process in hospital (when they scrub all the skin off and bits of trousers and everything else off of the burned parts). No, the worst pain was a week after, when they first covered my burns in antiseptic cream.

I actually thought I was going to pass out, and nearly did quite a few times.

Thing with burns is that they refuse to use anesthetics because they are concerned you might have nerve damage. Horrible. 1/5 wouldn't want to try again.
Cheers

flyingturtle

Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:50 pm

Quoting Aalaxfan (Reply 26):

Ugh. You were really lucky.

The thing about taking pains earnest is important. A mother of a friend of mine had pain in her intestines from time to time. She first went to a traditional chinese healer who told her to refrain from bread.

It subsided for some time, came again, subsided, came again. When it was unbearable she was taken to the ER, where they gave her painkillers and an OP appointment in a few days. It was a benign 3 lbs cyst that impaired normal bowel function and pressed upon a kidney.

Quoting AF1624 (Reply 30):

Ouch. Burns are so nasty. When I have kids later in my life, I will take care of teaching them how to respond to burn injuries. When a kid gets burns, it is just even nastier...

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

PHX787

Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:27 pm

I broke my leg at the age of two but I dont remember the pain :P so yeah lol

I think the worst pain i felt was some really odd pain in my stomach that lasted a few weeks....something related to food allergies I was told.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

AirPacific747

Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:45 pm

I also had a biopsy performed of both my testies a few years ago with only local anaesthetics. Yep I could still feel a LOT!

Acheron

Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:29 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 27):
Did you loose the nut? I've been told this is about the most painful experience a guy can go through then its often backed up by the emotional suffering cause by the loss of the testicle.

Yes, I lost it, as it turns out the testicular torsion was a side effect of a cancer tumor that was "eating up" the testicle.

At first it did bother me but nowadays, I just live with it and I don't think to much about it.

AR385

Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:15 am

This one is interesting because I really did not feel pain. I was in the middle of the Amazon jungle with a team of engineers and I caught my hand with piece of metal I did not see. I got a nasty cut on the front part. At least 8cms long. We were at 16 hrs driving from a hospital and the Brazilians told me I needed stitches. So I said, fine, let´s get on the road. "No, you don´t understand, you have to stitch that right now, or god knows in this jungle what things can get in there." From infections to insects.

So I got handed thread and a needle. Good thing I learned sewing in Home-Ec.

I´ve never been afraid of blood, and my pain threshold is pretty high, still something funny happened. I felt nothing, and while I was sewing the wound up, I started seeing myself from a different perspective, as if I was another person watching me. Therapists later told me this is common and is called "dissociation.".

When I got to the hospital they were impressed. They said "good job", come back in 10 days for us to take the stitches off and here take all these antibiotics.

The scar is still there.

zkojq

Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:09 pm

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 5):

ZKOJQ

I feel your pain.

I had open heart surgery Jan 6th this year, I had/have pretty much the same issues, as a front sleeper I can honestly say, I haven't has a good night's sleep since the operation, well okay maybe when i was knocked out.

I honestly thought (as i've broken a few ribs in my time) they would be the painful part of the recovery, but as you note, it's sneezing, only those that have gone through this surgery can understand the pain levels,i've broken every major bone in my body at one point or another, they pale in comparison.

Yeah, the lack of sleep is awful. I would think that if one could sleep properly/comfortably after these kinds of surgery, the recovery would be a lot less painful and there would be plenty less complications.

I had open heart surgery Jan 6th this year

Successful, I hope?

For those of you that have ever been hurt and been given morphine for the pain, I am sure ZKOJQ will agree, it didn't even touch this, not one bit, I was expecting it to knock down the pain level as it had with other injuries, nope, not even close.

See I trust that it would have been worse without morphine.....but the actual dosages of the drug didn't seem to make any discernible difference to the level of pain. Just that weird gooey feeling.

I ended up being prescribed Dilaudid, now....If you are ever offered this in hospital, the answer is always yes, whoever came up with it, I worship you, of course in very limited doses, but if you want to be comfortable after a major trauma, that's what you want.

I was also given Tramadol and had an allergic reaction to it. Horrid stuff.

The metal in my chest makes for interesting trips through airport metal detectors, let me assure you!

I've never actually had a problem with that. I just accept it as a given that the metal detector will beep and that the security guy will use the handheld detector to scan me.....except for the domestic terminal at AKL. The scanners there never seem to pick it up, weirdly.

My surgeon gave me some paperwork to give to airport security for if there were any problems, but so far I don't remember having ever needed to use it. I regularly travel overseas without it now.

I live with the knowledge that I have approximately seven minutes to live if I get hit hard in the chest, fall heavily onto my chest, or have a car airbag go off and hit me in the chest, as inevitably the metal bars and supports will rupture my arteries and or pierce my heart itself

Be extra careful!

Quoting a320fan (Reply 20):
The 3 days or so after I had all 4 wisdom teeth surgically removed.

I assume I was in loads of pain after my wisdom teeth were removed...but I don't remember anything for a few weeks either side of the operation, thanks to the generous dosage of anesthetic that I was given.  
First to fly the 787-9

DLD9S

Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:31 pm

I have broken my foot, hand, arm, plus had several surgeries and nothing compares to meningitis. The pressure on the brain creates a headache like 100 migraines, and no medication seems to help. The inevitable spinal tap relieves enough pressure on the brain for some of the meds to kick in a little bit, but even then it just feels like a really bad migraine...
717 727 737 747 757 767 777 DC9 DC10 M80 M90 M11 L10 AB6 333 340 319 320 321 ARJ CRJ EM2 EMJ SF3 146 100 BE1...

bunumuring

Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:36 pm

[quote=DLD9S,reply=37]I have broken my foot, hand, arm, plus had several surgeries and nothing compares to meningitis. The pressure on the brain creates a headache like 100 migraines, and no medication seems to help. The inevitable spinal tap relieves enough pressure on the brain for some of the meds to kick in a little bit, but even then it just feels like a really bad migraine...
[quote]

Hi mate,
I have had meningitis too. I had it when I was 19. I was in a coma for 2 weeks but made a full recovery over the course of about twelve months, learning how to walk and talk again.
Sadly for me, the heart 'stuff' I had a few years ago was so much worse pain but probably not as long a recovery as the meningitis. I agree that meningitis was unbelievable pain, but the heart surgery I underwent was worse.
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

[Edited 2015-03-03 05:41:44]
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

S75752

Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:39 pm

Cavity drilling without numbing (or rather, inability to become numb).

oly720man

Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:51 pm

A stomach ulcer seems like a fleabite in comparison to what some have suffered, above, but It's about the worst I've had for any sustained, concentrated pain.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

sebolino

Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:57 pm

Being dumped by a girl I was deeply in love with. Man, that's really painful.

vikkyvik

Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:37 pm

I've never broken a bone (knock on wood). I've sprained an ankle, but that pain wasn't really all that bad, in retrospect.

The worst pain I can recall having was tooth pain in a tooth that needed a root canal. It was a Saturday when the pain got really bad, so there were no dentists open. It was a weird sinusoidal pain - it would get worse and worse over about a minute, be really fricken bad for about a minute, then subside for a minute and stay manageable for a minute, rinse, repeat.

I literally could not focus on anything else. Had to end up going to the ER to get some pain meds to tide me over till Monday.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

northstardc4m

Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:10 pm

Either Gastrict attack due to Gall Stone or Recovery from UPPP Tonsilectomy...
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

bgm

Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:26 pm

Worst paint I've felt? Probably listening to anything coming out of Fox News.

vikkyvik

Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:42 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 21):
I have an autoimmune disease called ankylosing spondylitis

Damn dude. Same disease Mick Mars (Motley Crue) has. Does not look like any fun - hope it hasn't impacted your life too much.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

jetwet1

Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:45 pm

Quoting zkojq (Reply 36):
the recovery would be a lot less painful and there would be plenty less complications.

100% agree, for the first couple of days they were waking me every hour, that didn't help.

Successful, I hope?

100%

I was also given Tramadol and had an allergic reaction to it. Horrid stuff.

The Dilaudid worked, but man, did I have some bad dreams on that stuff, to the point where I refused it if I knew I was going to sleep.

einsteinboricua

Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:31 pm

Quoting a320fan (Reply 20):

Count me in as a guy who had immense pain after wisdom teeth removal. I don't think anything I've experienced comes close to it.

I was 14 at the time and they started to come out. They took all four out at once so as to not mess up a complete orthodontic treatment. My mom knows I react badly to anesthesia since the effects wear off quickly so she had me undergo the procedure with local and general anesthesia. When I woke up from the deep sleep, the doctor was still extracting the second one (see what I mean about effects wearing off quickly?). He continued and I either got another dose or fell asleep on my own because when I woke up again everything was done.

Those next two weeks were unbearable. My cheeks were swollen. I looked like a Cabbage Patch Kid. Sleeping was rough, what with pain and fever, but then turning on the side and applying pressure with the pillows was worse. Towards my second week, the pain started to subside. When the stitches were removed, I was back to normal. Definitely not a pleasant experience.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

travelavnut

Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:47 pm

My worst pain was feeling my leg break and seeing it twisted 90 degrees;

http://i.imgur.com/DjOeT3y.jpg

Biking home after a party, a bit drunk, somehow I hit the curb. I fall slowly but for some reason my foot gets tangled in my bike frame just before my bike turns upside down. I hear and feel it break. The most awe full feeling and sound I have ever encountered. Also the sight of seeing your lower leg in an angle of 90 degrees with a piece of shinbone almost piercing the skin is something I would rather not repeat.

Luckily it was right in front of a bar, so within seconds an ambulance was called, a person put a cigarette in my mouth and I saw somebody blow chunks after looking at my leg. As it was in central Amsterdam the ambulance was there in minutes and the immediately put me down with morphine I think.
Live From Amsterdam!

us330

Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:56 pm

Broke my collarbone while playing hockey. Felt like someone was trying to take a hot knife and separate my left shoulder from the rest of my body.