usflyer msp
Topic Author

Rant: Why Don't Women Cook Anymore?

Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:09 pm

I am going to rant for a minute...

I'm all for gender equality. I am. A woman can -- and often does -- run companies and countries, lay down basslines and railroad track, write manifestos, and fly planes as well as or better than any man.

What they don't seem to do anymore, though, is cook. Pardon the generalization. I'm sure there are a few that are good in the kitchen. I'm not talking about them.

This is a common complaint of my male friends. They seem to date women who are challenged by Spaghetti or think that Sauté is one of Beyonce's relatives.

If they have children, their children eat more Chipotle and McDonald's than vegetables and solid meals.

I'm troubled by the lack of cooking skills in these otherwise-wonderful women. Even my Fiancee had to take remedial cooking lessons from her great-grandmother for a month before I really loved her.

I mean, looking back on my life, I've never dated a woman who could really cook. Sure, one could make a great salad, another could whip up some cool veggie dishes, but none has ever had me dreaming about her cooking. In fact, of my female friends, I know of only two who can really cook. This did not seem to be an issue for previous generations or for non-Western women. Everyone I know, their mothers and grandmothers are excellent cooks.

What can we do to get this skill set back in the fairer sex? Often, the quickest way into man's heart is through his stomach!

akiss20

RE: Rant: Why Don't Women Cook Anymore?

Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:14 pm

Because it isn't the 1950s anymore?  

Lots of women like to cook and cook well, and lots of women don't like to cook and don't cook well. Just like men...
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are

IAHflyer97

Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:18 pm

There are plenty that still do! I grew up in a fairly traditional family so my mother always cooked and my father always worked. I've got a few friends who's mothers and girlfriends are the same way. So women still cool, it's just not expected anymore.

I've never expected it from a lady, but my counter to it was to learn myself... And I love it!

Nothing like making anything I want by just thinking about it! Heck, I even made homemade pizza rolls with a homemade dipping sauce the other day because screw it!

But be careful how you say this. I don't think you meant anything derogatory, but if you say this around the wrong crowd, you'll end up on the CNN.

[Edited 2015-02-28 08:22:29]
A man is only as big as the amount of strings on his guitar.

n229nw

Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:20 pm

Quoting USFlyer MSP (Thread starter):
I'm all for gender equality.

Errrm...then why are you only asking this question about women? How about "why don't people cook anymore?" And you say this is a "common complaint" among your "male friends"--do they cook?
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

DocLightning

Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:26 pm

Quoting n229nw (Reply 3):
Errrm...then why are you only asking this question about women?

Bingo. Learn to cook, homeslice.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

us330

Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:33 pm

This is a common complaint of my male friends. They seem to date women who are challenged by Spaghetti or think that Sauté is one of Beyonce's relatives.

Maybe your friends need to consider other factors when dating women.

Then again, my mother can't cook. She and my father just celebrated their 35th anniversary. Oh, and my brother and I didn't grow up eating McDonald's or Chipotle either.

akiss20

Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:46 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 4):

Bingo. Learn to cook, homeslice.

Seriously. On the plus side for OP, the way to most people's heart is through their stomach  . I have been a GBF long enough to know that some women would positively swoon over getting cooked a nice meal.
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are

PanHAM

Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:54 pm

People cannot cook anymore because there are too many convenience products available. Back in the 50s or the 60s that was a completely different matter.

Now we have convenience from frozen Pizza to "fresh" Sushi and many more things that we should better not eat or at least once in a while only. I was at McDonalds' last week to eat a Special they had, Burgers made of Swiss Simmenthal Beef. The interval of that and the visit before that was 3 months.

We buy on Farmers Markets at least 3 times a month, fresh produce, meat, fresh bread. The Ratio between cooking at home and eating out is 5:2 in a week. My wife is an excellent cook but she likes my cooking as well.

It is an individual matter, as anything else,but it also depends on where you live and what your income is. Amazingly, People with less income buy less quality but prepared Food whoch is much moe expensive than cooking from scratch with quality products. Which in turn means that education is also an important factor.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

DocLightning

Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:58 pm

Quoting akiss20 (Reply 6):
Seriously. On the plus side for OP, the way to most people's heart is through their stomach  . I have been a GBF long enough to know that some women would positively swoon over getting cooked a nice meal.

And seriously, my cooking skills have gotten me laid. A lot.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

mham001

Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:10 pm

Errrm...then why are you only asking this question about women? How about "why don't people cook anymore?" And you say this is a "common complaint" among your "male friends"--do they cook?

It's possible, no, probable that either sex can be better suited at some activities than others. I'll probably go to internet hell for that line, huh?

To the OP, it's more a western woman thing. Go East, young man.

akiss20

Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:15 pm

Quoting mham001 (Reply 9):

It's possible, no, probable that either sex can be better suited at some activities than others. I'll probably go to internet hell for that line, huh?

Unless you can identify some kind of physiological mechanism by which women are somehow more adept at cooking than men, your statement is meaningless. You seem to be confusing societal social structures and history with inherent differences between the genders.

BMI727

Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:33 pm

think that Sauté is one of Beyonce's relatives.

Are we sure that's not true?

If they have children, their children eat more Chipotle

I guarantee you that Chipotle is healthier than a lot of the things the women in my family have cooked. They're not bad at cooking, which is sometimes a problem.

Even my Fiancee had to take remedial cooking lessons from her great-grandmother for a month before I really loved her.

I think great grandma should have given her remedial kicking-a-guy-in-the-nuts lessons instead.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 8):

Women have boobs. They don't need to cook.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

mham001

Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:36 pm

Quoting akiss20 (Reply 10):
Unless you can identify some kind of physiological mechanism by which women are somehow more adept at cooking than men, your statement is meaningless. You seem to be confusing societal social structures and history with inherent differences between the genders.

No, I don't have the qualifications to identify physiological mechanisms, do you? I have the same confusion when I notice there is not a single male teacher in my local school. Or that women dominate as care givers. Regardless of the confusion over the root reasons, it does not negate the possibility or probability that societal social structures and history are also reasons why either sex could be better suited at some activities.

Boeing717200

Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:40 pm

Because their baby boomer mommies were too busy working on their careers. Enter the TV Dinner plus a microwave oven and the rest is history. There is an interesting split in our family. My mom was a teacher when my first two sisters were growing up so she had more time. They can cook anything. She took a job as an administrator by the time my third sister came around and that girl would burn water if you don't watch her. She can't cook worth a crap.

Gotta agree. Cooking made me a chick magnet. My wife can cook like a mofo so we are always making something, rarely going out to dinner and we involve the kids in it as well so they know how to cook.

[Edited 2015-02-28 09:46:40]
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

akiss20

Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:49 pm

Quoting mham001 (Reply 12):

No, I don't have the qualifications to identify physiological mechanisms, do you? I have the same confusion when I notice there is not a single male teacher in my local school. Or that women dominate as care givers. Regardless of the confusion over the root reasons, it does not negate the possibility or probability that societal social structures and history are also reasons why either sex could be better suited at some activities.

No I don't, but I am not the one making the claim that one gender is inherently better suited to a task than the other, so I don't really need them. Societal social structures and history may be the cause of *why* women and men appear in different proportions in different jobs, but that doesn't mean that women are somehow better suited for them, just that historically that is the jobs they held.

akiss20

Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:55 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 13):

Because their baby boomer mommies were too busy working on their careers. Enter the TV Dinner plus a microwave oven and the rest is history.

Didn't the microwave and TV dinner become huge in the late 50s and early 60s, when the baby boomers were still young? My mother had a full time career, frequently travelled, and she still cooked plenty. Started me on cooking when I was very young and instilled in me a love of good food.

seb146

Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:10 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 7):
People cannot cook anymore because there are too many convenience products available. Back in the 50s or the 60s that was a completely different matter.

BINGO!! For those of us who have 35 hours worth of things to do and only 20 hours to do it, we do not have the time to cook! I love cooking and can do it well, but I don't have the time. Many times, it is easier to just grab something from the hot bar at the supermarket.

Also, my mom cooked for us AND worked for 35 years. She is a good cook when she wants to be. But, raising three boys and working and our dad (control freak), she just usually threw things together and said "eat if you want."

Because their baby boomer mommies were too busy working on their careers.

wow. just... wow. It could also be argued that television started that. All those "conservative" and "family values" shows where the women found out how great it is to have their own spending money for a new dress or new drapes or something and the mother encouraging the daughter to get a job for her prom dress or sewing machine or whatever sexist thing they came up with. It could be argued that women saw that, imitated that and thought, on their own with their own minds, "Why should I be a kept woman when I am a human being?"
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

jetblueguy22

Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:26 pm

I'm troubled by the lack of cooking skills in these otherwise-wonderful women. Even my Fiancee had to take remedial cooking lessons from her great-grandmother for a month before I really loved her.

It took cooking for you to love someone? That sounds a little shallow..

What can we do to get this skill set back in the fairer sex? Often, the quickest way into man's heart is through his stomach!

It shouldn't be a required skill. Imagine if women required you to be in a high power job making a lot of money. It's not fair to a person's character.

I think the issue isn't why don't women cook anymore, but why don't people cook anymore? It's not a 9-5 life anymore. Way back when men worked those hours and the wife could stay home and care for the kids and cook. Now both husband and wife work long hours. Even I am guilty of this. Take my day yesterday, I was out the door at 730, and with the exception of a short break between class yesterday I didn't get home to finish my day until about 11PM. The last thing I wanted to do was start up the stove and cook a piece of fish and some veggies.

Cooking should be a shared thing in a relationship. My mom and stepdad used to split it about equally and it was awesome. My mom is a good cook, but my stepdad is an awesome one. They each would make their best dishes and my brother and I ate like kings. That's how it should be IMO.
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

aerdingus

Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:54 pm

A woman can -- and often does -- run companies and countries, lay down basslines and railroad track, write manifestos, and fly planes as well as or better than any man.

Wow, thanks for the condescending acknowledgment, delighted to know that we can succeed just as good or better than a man...why is that a mark of achievement? We do things as women, not to be as good as, or better than you. Sorry, but you're not a bar to be passed.

Also do you cook? I hope you do because you'll be cooking on your lonesome soon if you keep up this attitude.
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

CplKlinger

Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:17 pm

I'm all for gender equality. I am.

No, you aren't Anytime you have to qualify a statement like that, it's simply note true (See: "I'm not a racist, but" or "I;m not a homophobe, but").

What they don't seem to do anymore, though, is cook. Pardon the generalization. I'm sure there are a few that are good in the kitchen. I'm not talking about them.

My wife doesn't cook because she's an RN working 2nd shift. So I cook. She can cook, and does on occasion, but stuff works out the way it does. What about you, didn't your mother teach you? Mine did.

You're friends are either trumping up the truth, or compensating for their lack of taste.

I'll admit that I like to eat (as much as my damn doctor yells at me about my weight), but that's not what hooked me with my wife. She is intelligent, funny, artistic, and a great kisser. She can play the violin like it's nobodies business, has probably forgotten more about the human body than I'll ever know myself, indulges my passions, and loves action movies. Die Hard 2 is one of her favorite movies, for goodness sake.

This idea of a "fairer sex" and cooking being an essential skill for a woman is outdated and antiquated thoughts of how society should be. I'll be teaching my daughter to cook, but also to look for a guy who can too.

Ken777

Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:23 pm

Odd that women are expected to cook in the home, but chefs are expected to be men. Sort of like sewing - women sew and men are tailors.

Actually in the home men should, at a minimum, be able to Bar-B-Q a few things. Life has been made easier for us with the gas grills so we should be able to move from hamburgers and hot dogs to, say, chicken or a slow cooked brisket. I can even cook lamb chops on the grill, which my better half loves.

I might learn to cook more in the kitchen than bacon & eggs as we are renovating the kitchen and installed an induction cooktop. If I can figure out how to use it (without reading the instruction manual) I'll start experimenting.

As for traditional girls learning to cook, schools used to take care of that training (while failing to train guys in home financial management). A book called the Joy of Cooking was also a must as it taught you how to do things like Sauté.

akiss20

Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:43 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 20):

Odd that women are expected to cook in the home, but chefs are expected to be men. Sort of like sewing - women sew and men are tailors.

As far as I can tell if you look historically at any field the "professional" or "elite" class tended to be men. Women cooked in the home, but chefs were men as you said. Women were nurses, men were doctors. Women were grade school teachers, men were professors etc etc. This was probably born of some stupid notion that women should or could not work at the higher levels.

StrandedAtMKG

Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:33 pm

Even my Fiancee had to take remedial cooking lessons from her great-grandmother for a month before I really loved her.

If you didn't love your fiancee until she learned to cook, that sounds more like a problem with you than with her.

drew777

Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:34 pm

Unless you can identify some kind of physiological mechanism by which women are somehow more adept at cooking than men, your statement is meaningless.

Studies do show that women are better at multitasking than men. Cooking is all about multitasking.

akiss20

Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:47 pm

Quoting drew777 (Reply 23):
Studies do show that women are better at multitasking than men. Cooking is all about multitasking.

Cooking and a thousand other things (plus there is a lot more to cooking than just multi-tasking). Even if somehow women were physiologically more suited for a task, why does that mean they "should" do that task?

flyingturtle

Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:04 pm

Gotta agree. Cooking made me a chick magnet.

Oh... 

I grew up totally without any convenience food. I cook every day, and friends from school still remember how I cooked chicken during noon breaks. It was 16 years ago.

During a relationship long gone, it was me who liked to cook - while she rather went for McDonald's, an Asian restaurant, and pizza. When she cooked something, it was mostly risotto. Then, another girlfriend surprised me with the stuff she cooked. It tasted fine and I liked to eat with her, in spite of her only buying staple food.

My sister +/- only eats convenience food, but at least her stuff is very diverse.

But I think it's true that today, many people don't like to cook anymore. "Too little time", they say. But I've got a kind of internal clock that tells me when the spaghetti are al dente or the cordon bleu is roasted. I can actually work and just have a feeling for when to go to the kitchen.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

vikkyvik

Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:08 pm

Ouch, I hope she never reads that, or she may not be your fiancee anymore.

No, it's a possibility. But without any proof one way or the other, it can't really be used as evidence.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 11):
I think great grandma should have given her remedial kicking-a-guy-in-the-nuts lessons instead.

I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

drew777

Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:15 pm

Quoting akiss20 (Reply 24):
Even if somehow women were physiologically more suited for a task, why does that mean they "should" do that task?

It doesn't.

Quoting akiss20 (Reply 1):

Being attracted to women who can cook doesn't make the OP a sexist.

DDR

Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:32 pm

In the past, women had the time to cook the family meal. That's no longer true. Economics now require that both the man and woman work ( or man/man or woman/woman ). In my house, cooking is split 50/50 plus take out a couple of nights a week.

But if you want the woman barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen, head on over to the Middle East. They really know how to treat their women.      

akiss20

Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:03 pm

Quoting drew777 (Reply 27):
Quoting akiss20 (Reply 1):

Nope it doesn't, but saying that women don't cook anymore and should is sexist.

I think this is the first time you have ever said something I can get behind

Boeing717200

Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:33 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 16):

Stay I denial Seb, stay in denial. Women don't know how to sew much anymore either. People lose a skill set and generations go without skill sets being passed on. Not about whether women should or shouldn't have careers. Just a basic fact of how things get passed from generation to generation.

DocLightning

Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:10 am

OMG we actually agree on something...
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Part147

Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:01 am

When I read the initial rant, it made me chuckle to think that any 'man' sits at home expecting and waiting for his dinner to be presented to him.   

Why not get off your ass and learn to do it yourself?

Cooking is simple, we all have to eat, why deny yourself the opportunity to learn?

If not, then just go ahead and chunk out eating crisps, chip, snacks and dips! - all the while bemoaning the fact 'she' can't cook   
It's better to ask a stupid question during training, rather than make a REALLY stupid mistake later on!

seb146

Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:41 am

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 30):
Women don't know how to sew much anymore either.

Men don't know how to sew or quilt or knit either. Yet, we are still clothed and warm. What is your point? That I should find my version of Donna Reed? I did and he also taught me how to build fences and change my oil.

RobertNL070

Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:16 am

OMG, do such attitudes still exist..??

I've got one thing to say to the OP: welcome to the 21st century.
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

CplKlinger

Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:21 pm

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 34):
OMG, do such attitudes still exist..??

They do in the US. We do a lot of squawking about how some other socities in the world are stone age, yet we have people with attitudes like this. There are even extremists like to folks at r/TheRedPill (Warning: that site has a lot of misogynistic, potentially violently so, thoughts and comments. I present that as example only. I'd rather spend a sunny vacation in Syria with ISIS than meet anyone from that subreddit). We talk a big game in the US with our social standings, but we don't play the same game.

fr8mech

Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:19 pm

Simple: I prefer my cooking to the cooking of most of the women I know...and, so do they.
My wife gets home at 1800. Dinner hits the table at about 1815, assuming there are no practices for the kids. If I waited for the wife to cook, the food would not be available until 1930 or so. I leave for work at 1900.

Quite simply, when women entered the workforce, in earnest, a few decades ago, the traditional roles in the home were redefined.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

usflyer msp
Topic Author

Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:35 pm

I don't date men?

Quoting us330 (Reply 5):

Maybe your friends need to consider other factors when dating women.

There are other factors but we are somewhat traditional and like to be catered to and have our egos stroked upon occasion. She should be able to cook something!

To the OP, it's more a western woman thing. Go East, young man.

Perhaps

That is pretty much what some of her girlfriends told her but she has the ring while they are sitting at home looking at each other...

Quoting akiss20 (Reply 15):
Didn't the microwave and TV dinner become huge in the late 50s and early 60s, when the baby boomers were still young?

TV Dinners were around in the 1950's but Microwave's didn't appear until the 1980's. I have an uncle that has never owned a Microwave, he is philosophically opposed. He expects his wife to cook (from scratch) for him and she does...

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 20):
Actually in the home men should, at a minimum, be able to Bar-B-Q a few things. Life has been made easier for us with the gas grills so we should be able to move from hamburgers and hot dogs to, say, chicken or a slow cooked brisket. I can even cook lamb chops on the grill, which my better half loves.

I concur. Men should do the outdoor cooking and women should do the indoor. That is the way it worked in my family,

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 17):
It shouldn't be a required skill. Imagine if women required you to be in a high power job making a lot of money. It's not fair to a person's character.

That is a requirement of alot of women I know. They won't won't give a guy a second look unless he drives a Lexus and makes six-figures. They have been poisoned by Reality TV...

Quoting CplKlinger (Reply 35):

They do in the US. We do a lot of squawking about how some other socities in the world are stone age, yet we have people with attitudes like this. There are even extremists like to folks at r/TheRedPill (Warning: that site has a lot of misogynistic, potentially violently so, thoughts and comments.

The Red Pill may be extreme but they are not completely wrong. I agree with them on a quite a bit like schools expecting boys to behave like girls...

Beside fulfilling her other marital duties, I expect my woman to cook most of the time, clean, not give me alot of backtalk and let me play video games with my friends. I don't think that is too much to ask.

seb146

Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:45 pm

Quoting USFlyer MSP (Reply 37):
Beside fulfilling her other marital duties, I expect my woman to cook most of the time, clean, not give me alot of backtalk and let me play video games with my friends. I don't think that is too much to ask.

In this day and age, the best way to achieve this is to browse the back page of your weekly free news papers. I see ads all the time for Kandi and Syndi and Kitten and the like.

Otherwise, be ready to compromise and treat your woman like a human being. I guarantee very few women are sitting at home dreaming of a man who sits in front of the TV with his friends while she is just a servant. Those relationships end up with one or the other (rarely both) in jail.

vikkyvik

Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:48 pm

Sure, as long as you realize it is 1.) possibly sexist, and 2.) rather contrary to:

I'm all for gender equality.

...given that you are EXPECTING her to fulfill traditional wife roles.

There are other factors but we are somewhat traditional and like to be catered to and have our egos stroked upon occasion.

So if you're somewhat traditional, you might be somewhat against gender equality.

That is pretty much what some of her girlfriends told her but she has the ring while they are sitting at home looking at each other...

Again, you're expecting women to get married, like it's something they have to do to be part of society.

I concur. Men should do the outdoor cooking and women should do the indoor. That is the way it worked in my family,

My step-mom was the BBQ'er in my family. Amazingly, she didn't seem like any less of a woman. And it never occurred to me that she shouldn't be doing that.

That is a requirement of alot of women I know. They won't won't give a guy a second look unless he drives a Lexus and makes six-figures.

Those aren't the kind of women I'd want to be around - and most definitely not the kind I'd want to marry.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

CplKlinger

Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:27 pm

The Red Pill may be extreme but they are not completely wrong. I agree with them on a quite a bit like schools expecting boys to behave like girls...

Almost stopped reading right there. The Red Pill is a cess pool of mysogeny and women hating like none other. They make radical feminists look sane.

I believe your forgot the barefoot and pregnant part, if you want to go full tilt.

BMI727

Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:44 pm

The implication that the friends are worse off is highly questionable...
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

akiss20

Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:35 pm

There are other factors but we are somewhat traditional and like to be catered to and have our egos stroked upon occasion. She should be able to cook something!

Sounds like you want a servant more than a life partner. Partners should always support each other and do what they can to help the other achieve success, but it definitely can't be a one way street like you're suggesting.

So a woman getting married is the ultimate sign of success? Sounds to me like the girlfriends have their priorities right if they aren't willing to degrade themselves just for the sake of a wedding ring.

TV Dinners were around in the 1950's but Microwave's didn't appear until the 1980's. I have an uncle that has never owned a Microwave, he is philosophically opposed. He expects his wife to cook (from scratch) for him and she does...

My bad on the timeline of residential use of microwaves, but a TV dinner is a TV dinner. The 50s and 60s were still very much an era of "convenience" cooking. The fact that she cooks is not problematic in my mind, the fact that he expects it very much is. I do most of the cooking in my relationship, but if my boyfriend ever said he expected or demanded it be that way, out the door he would go. That being said, if that relationship works for them, more power to them, but don't try and demand that all relationships be that way. The idea that anyone "should" do something just based on their gender is abhorrent.

Again with "should". Why should it be this way? Just because it was that way in your family doesn't mean thats the way it should be for anyone elses. Why do you care so much about what other families want to do?

That is a requirement of alot of women I know. They won't won't give a guy a second look unless he drives a Lexus and makes six-figures. They have been poisoned by Reality TV...

Sounds like you should get some new female friends. Such an attitude is ridiculous. That being said, I find it interesting (or more precisely, hypocritical) that women who demand traditional male gender roles be filled are "poisoned by reality tv" but your demand on traditional female gender roles is perfectly okay.

I agree with them on a quite a bit like schools expecting boys to behave like girls...

I don't even know where to start with such a ridiculous statement.

n229nw

Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:55 pm

Sounds as if her friends are pretty lucky in comparison...   

Quoting akiss20 (Reply 42):
Sounds like you should get some new female friends.

And some new male friends. A lot of new friends...

Quoting akiss20 (Reply 42):
I find it interesting (or more precisely, hypocritical) that women who demand traditional male gender roles be filled are "poisoned by reality tv" but your demand on traditional female gender roles is perfectly okay.

Indeed...
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

RussianJet

Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:26 pm

Maybe your 'friends' should cook themselves or find someone who can cook. This isn't a gender issue - people need to learn to cook, not one sex or the other.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

rwessel

Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:46 pm

I can't tell if the OP is for real or just trolling, but if the former... utterly appalling.

Boeing717200

Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:03 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 33):

My point is you're missing the point. These skills have been lost because women aren't home barefoot and pregnant anymore. Not sure why you find this reality so complex to understand. These skills take a great deal of free time which most women don't have anymore, and haven't had since they began entering the workforce in large numbers. And yes, in doing so many of them gave up the traditional role in favor of a career. That is reality. You seem to think there is some other imagined reason that these skill sets are becoming vaporware and there isn't.

WarRI1

Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:14 pm

This is not rocket science. If this topic is important to you, a woman's cooking ability, it is not difficult to discover if she can cook or wants to cook. I can cook, so I would expect the woman to do the same. Sex will only get you so far in a relationship. It does not last for the long haul. Think compatibility. If you do not have it, forget it. Of course being handsome or beautiful and rich helps alot with compatibility issues. I have neither, but it has lasted. I guess it helps to be lucky or have good common sense about a woman. I was kidding about not being handsome.

It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

scbriml

Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:32 pm

Dude, you need to join the 21st century.   

Quoting drew777 (Reply 27):

No, but he nailed it with some of his other comments.   
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

allrite

Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:14 am

It's not just whether women can cook or not, it's also that they seem to have lost a lot of the skills of cooking from the old days. Take my wife for example. When she cooks cabbage it's still solid and flavoursome, not soggy like my Mum's and in turn her mother's. Her curries don't have sultanas and Keen's curry powder, they have lemongrass and freshly ground spices. Her cakes aren't sponge cakes, they are rich, moist carrot or orange cakes. And then she has the temerity to complain about my expanding gut. I tell you, it's wrong!  

We both cook in our house and even our young son tries as well. And we don't look back on the "old days" with too much fondness, although I'd be happy for this to be invented in the future.  
I like artificial banana essence!