Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RJ321
Topic Author

Airliners.net Meetings-Question

Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:32 pm

Hello all,
I am relatively new here (having a registered account) however, I've been an avid visitor for the website for years. One thing caught my attention though, was the a.net meeting that are held. What is discussed there and who is qualified to attend them ? Thank you!
RJ321

nighthawk

RE: Airliners.net Meetings-Question

Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:18 pm

Quoting RJ321 (Thread starter):
who is qualified to attend them ?

Anyone that can tell a 747 from an A320

Quoting RJ321 (Thread starter):
What is discussed there

Who's buying the next round!

A.net meets are normally just a gathering of fellow enthusiasts, normally either at a popular spotting location, or a nearby bar (if that bar happens to also be a spotting location, then even better). There's no requirements or formalities. Turn up, watch planes, get drunk (if you're old enough).

RJ321
Topic Author

Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:21 pm

Quoting nighthawk (Reply 1):

Do you know of any meetings being held in the summer ?
Where can I know of these meetings ?
Unfortunately, I do not drink, however, it's all about the company   and the subjects discussed (AVIATION !!)

flyingturtle

Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:57 pm

You just need to have genuine interest in airplanes, aviation and your fellow a.nutters. Myself, I'm not an aviation professional nor a hobby pilot. I'm just eager to learn about stuff that flies.

I've attended a meeting at ZRH. We just watched planes, talked together, and some people ate a meal together, just anywhere... at the McDonald's or something like that.

We've toured the new terminal together, visited the baggage sorting halls... it's quite easy. There isn't much you really have to adhere to - there might be a meeting point, or a tour that you'll do together.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

ER757

Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:14 pm

Quoting nighthawk (Reply 1):
Anyone that can tell a 747 from an A320

Damn - that leaves me out  
Quoting RJ321 (Reply 2):

Most of them are in the summer - no one wants to stand outside for hours in the cold to watch airplanes...brrrrrrr

Years ago we had a pretty good meet in Seattle - all met at a local watering hole Friday evening then reconvened Saturday afternoon at a good spotting location and chowed down on Costco fried chicken.

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 3):
We've toured the new terminal together, visited the baggage sorting halls..

It's good if one of the members works at an airline or the local airport because sometimes tours can be arranged to help feed the inner airplane geek in us all. Had the good fortune to be invited to tour the 787 and 748i test planes at BFI by a fellow member a few years back. I was like a kid in a candy store!

Vio

Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:30 pm

Quoting RJ321 (Reply 2):
Unfortunately, I do not drink, however, it's all about the company   and the subjects discussed (AVIATION !!)

Yeah, you see... ahmm... If you could go ahead and .... ahhh... start drinking.... that would be great....  
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

Birdwatching

Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:51 pm

Is it just me, or are there fewer A.net meets these days than about 5-10 years ago?
I used to attend these quite often, I have been to ZRH several times, they used to be yearly. I've been to a PRG meet, one in Kiev / Chernobyl, several in FRA, once I even organized one in Svalbard at 78° North which was the northernmost A.net meet ever, that record can never be beaten. 4 people turned up.

Those were the good times and I made a lot of good friendships in those days.

But nowadays I hardly ever see any A.net meets announced here in the forum. Maybe because we're all getting older and the young people from today have grown up with the social media and they're not used to real-world meetings any more.

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

petertenthije

Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:10 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 6):
Is it just me, or are there fewer A.net meets these days than about 5-10 years ago?

There are a lot less meets. Both AMS and ZRH were annual. With FRA, BCN, MAN and PRG also quite common.

The meetings that are held attract fewer visitirs as well. The last AMS meet, not counting the MD-11 farewell flights, attracted just two people. Myself and a German guy.

It does not surprise me though. The forums in general are less personal then they used to be in the ye olde days. There are a lot if people, but for the most part it is no longer a tight knit group of people that actually know each other.. even if only through usernames. In that regard the growth of A.net has not really improved the site.
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989

sccutler

Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:21 am

Meh. Used to be a site for enthusiasts, started and operated by an individual, infused with the spirit that implies. He sold it to a for-profit enterprise, it's gonna feel different (and some of us who donated money for a new server? Feel kinda silly.).

---

I have only directly met one A.nutter, a prominent one, good guy. We are a good dinner, drank a fair quantum of likker...
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

Vio

Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:36 am

I think you guys pointed it out. We are getting older. Hell, I just realized I've been on this site for over 11 years. Unreal. What's different? Well for starters, I'm 11 years older with a busy career, married and with a 5 month old.

I would love to attend some A.net meetings, especially the ones in Europe. I just never seem to match my schedule to any one of them. It would be quite easy for me to jump across the pond on AC.

Well such is life. Maybe one day.

flyingturtle

Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:15 am

Quoting sccutler (Reply 8):
I have only directly met one A.nutter, a prominent one, good guy. We are a good dinner, drank a fair quantum of likker...

So far, I've met about ten of them. But I only remember the a.nut usernames of two...      

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

LFutia

Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:15 am

I've been to 0 of the meets. yes absolutely none of them, but I have had the chance to stay with one yet meet quite a few others! Thanks to facebook, all the a.net meets are there lol

Leo/ORD
Leo/ORD

RJ321
Topic Author

Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:26 am

Why not meet on the upcoming Paris Airshow ?

Quoting vio (Reply 5):

It's not about my age, I just think it's unhealthy and against my beliefs  

Birdwatching

Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:30 am

Quoting RJ321 (Reply 12):
Why not meet on the upcoming Paris Airshow?

Actually, if you're planning to go there, you could go ahead and organize such a meet. These kinds of A.net meets are never "official" or organized by Airliners.net, it always takes somebody who starts a thread about it and organizes it. I've done it once (and it was far far away from my home, so it doesn't take a local) and it was a great success.

It's not about my age, I just think it's unhealthy and against my beliefs

Same for me! No alcohol and no pork. Difference is that I'm not a Muslim   it's just part of the healthy lifestyle I'm trying to live. So you'll be fine on the A.net meets, I've been to lots of them and never touched a drop of booze. No problem!

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

idealstandard

Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:32 am

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 13):
Actually, if you're planning to go there, you could go ahead and organize such a meet. These kinds of A.net meets are never "official" or organized by Airliners.net, it always takes somebody who starts a thread about it and organizes it. I've done it once (and it was far far away from my home, so it doesn't take a local) and it was a great success.

There is an [unofficial] gathering at Paris this year, in memory of the late jkw777, many a good Paris air show was had with Justin.

So far according to facebook 20 or so people will be attending, including some (large] former members, including the legend JGHP1A.

RJ321
Topic Author

Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:42 am

Quoting idealstandard (Reply 14):

I would like to attend, can you please provide us with the dates ?

nighthawk

Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:10 am

But nowadays I hardly ever see any A.net meets announced here in the forum. Maybe because we're all getting older and the young people from today have grown up with the social media and they're not used to real-world meetings any more.

Ever since Demand Media took over the running of a.net, they kicked out some of the more active posters. Ever since Non-Av has died, and along with it the community spirit of the site.

idealstandard

Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:45 am

Quoting RJ321 (Reply 15):

Friday 19th - Saturday 20th of June, with the main visitors show day the 20th.

Quoting nighthawk (Reply 16):
Ever since Demand Media took over the running of a.net, they kicked out some of the more active posters. Ever since Non-Av has died, and along with it the community spirit of the site.

Watch yourself ! You might be next with statements like that!

petertenthije

Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:00 pm

So far according to facebook 20 or so people will be attending

Which facebook page?
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989

Vio

Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:10 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 13):
Same for me! No alcohol and no pork. Difference is that I'm not a Muslim   it's just part of the healthy lifestyle I'm trying to live. So you'll be fine on the A.net meets, I've been to lots of them and never touched a drop of booze. No problem!

Okay, I get the "no pork" part. Actually meat in general is not exactly ideal for us, but no booze? Are you kidding me? Sorry boys, no A.net met would be complete without a pub. 

N1120A

Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:40 am

Quoting RJ321 (Reply 2):

The big meet is the 10th anniversary of the 2005 Paris Air Show meet.

Quoting RJ321 (Reply 2):
Unfortunately, I do not drink, however, it's all about the company

No need to drink. I didn't drink until 5-6 years ago.

Why not meet on the upcoming Paris Airshow ?

Funny you should ask  
There is an [unofficial] gathering at Paris this year, in memory of the late jkw777, many a good Paris air show was had with Justin.
Quoting RJ321 (Reply 15):

The gathering is quite official, at least in the eyes of us old fogies, and I'm the one who has taken on a lot of the organization (including the aforementioned Facebook invite.). After Justin Wood died, I renamed it in his honor, as I met him just days after the big 2005 Paris meet.

So far, there will be quite a few of us "old school" people there, including many of the victims of the Purge. All are welcome.

If you are FB friends with anyone from A.net, see if they have an invite - they can invite you. If not, PM me with your FB contact info and I will invite you.

As we get closer to the date, we will all work together to come up with a meeting time and place.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

MIAspotter

Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:58 am

We are planning one in BCN in June, you are more than welcomed to join  

MIAspotter
Nos vamos de Vueling?

RJ321
Topic Author

Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:27 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 20):

Thanks a lot   my Facebook contact info are as follows: Leo Nabulsi and my email is [email protected]

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 21):

What are the exact dates for the meet in BCN ? I'd love to if time allows  Smile

[Edited 2015-03-03 02:33:28]

lesfalls

Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:57 pm

Is there any meet in NYC coming up? I hope I can come to the meet in Paris.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

N1120A

Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:50 pm

https://www.facebook.com/events/385276478239469

Its an open event.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

MIAspotter

Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:56 pm

Quoting RJ321 (Reply 22):
What are the exact dates for the meet in BCN ? I'd love to if time allows

June 13-14 

We are still planning what to do, mostly head to the beach next to the airport for photos, then dinner  

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

solarflyer22

Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:39 am

Yeah there are fewer.

Honestly, I would prepare to be disappointed. Most of the people on this forum aren't that bright and probably couldn't find Jordan on the map if their life were at stake. You can find a good spotting location and just meet randoms and meet just as good a group.

Go3Team

Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:40 am

I used to go to meets a lot. The last one I think I made was the Reykjavic Iceland meet in 2007. As someone else mentioned, the people that would put these meets together left the site. I can say the people I met were great people.
Yay Pudding!