Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

B742
Topic Author

Abu Dhabi - Any Recommendations?

Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:22 pm

I'm travelling to Abu Dhabi next week for a short break/business trip.

Any recommendations on what to do/see? I know there are many guides on the web, but peoples views are always better IMHO.

I'm staying near to Corniche Beach.

Thanks in advance.

directorguy

RE: Abu Dhabi - Any Recommendations?

Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:34 pm

I'm not an expert on Abu Dhabi, but should be enough to keep you occupied for a few days. Check out the new Yas Mall, which is the latest in town. Try Ferrari World, if you're into that sort of thing-weather is still mild so outdoors activities are still doable. I've read that Ferrari World is a bit overpriced but I guess it's still something worth seeing. The Yas Waterpark is I think more fun. In terms of architecture, you must visit the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque. It really is something.
Will you be driving a car or using taxis? Bear in mind that renting a car in AD is pretty easy, and driving there is practical, as it's a car-based culture.

B747forever

Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:22 pm

Quoting directorguy (Reply 1):
you must visit the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque. It really is something.

Was there last weekend (just 1 night), and visited the Mosque first thing in the morning. Great architecture. You will get to access the main hall (except Friday evening), however I wasnt able to enter the prayer hall as non-muslim.

I also rented a bike in the evening and rode along Corniche beach. Nice views of the city and sunset.

Had dinner at "Lebanese flower restaurant". Food was great. They have a couple of locations in Abu Dhabi.

Taxi is really cheap in Abu Dhabi, so really no need to rent a car if you dont plan on leaving the city.
Work Hard, Fly Right

signol

Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:28 pm

I spent a few days there a few years ago and used neither taxis or a rental car - the busses are cheap, clean, efficient and air conditioned. Cost 1dh per ride (3dh for the airport line).
As for sights, I can only echo the others - man made sights, shopping malls and cosmopolitain cuisine are the major draws. I was there for the F1 so naturally saw the race track as well. Fans of modern architecture will also like it.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

B747forever

Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:30 pm

Quoting signol (Reply 3):
the busses are cheap, clean, efficient and air conditioned. Cost 1dh per ride (3dh for the airport line).

I used the A1 bus to/from the airport. Takes just about an hour and cost 4dh.
Work Hard, Fly Right

signol

Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:12 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 4):

The price must have gone up since I was there in 2010  

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

777way

Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:52 am

Quoting B747forever (Reply 2):
however I wasnt able to enter the prayer hall as non-muslim.

First time I've heard this.

B747forever

Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:06 am

Quoting 777way (Reply 6):
however I wasnt able to enter the prayer hall as non-muslim.

First time I've heard this.

Dont know if you have been there or not, but everyone can access the main hall. However, there are also two prayer rooms (male/female) separated from the main hall. When trying to access it, there was a guard there asking me if I am a muslim. When I said no, he told me I couldnt access it.
Work Hard, Fly Right

mmo

Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:25 am

I spent 3 years working there and while it's not quite as lively as Dubai, it's still not too bad.

You mentioned the Lebanese Flower, it's probably the best Lebanese restaurant I have been to. If you can, go to the original one which is over by the Sheraton Kaladhia. Also, grab a taxi to get there as parking is extremely hard to find because of the take away business done there.

The mosque is also a definite must see. I know of no restrictions about where you can and can't go, but don't wear shorts and a t shirt. There are plenty of tours available and depending on the hotel you're staying at they can accommodate what ever you need.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

777way

Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:12 am

Quoting mmo (Reply 8):
but don't wear shorts and a t shirt.

I have been to mosques in T shirts so many times in Pakistan, some orthodox type will come up and say the arms should be covered atleast till below the elbow but thats rare, maybe ruiles are different in the Gulf, however in Mecca saw a body builder type muscle dude in a really tight fitted T with equally tight jeans, inside the Kaba mosque and he was a repeat visitor in the same attire and there was no segregation either women all around including the female guards.

mmo

Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:02 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 9):
I have been to mosques in T shirts so many times in Pakistan, some orthodox type will come up and say the arms should be covered atleast till below the elbow but thats rare, maybe ruiles are different in the Gulf

What I am talking about is beach/swimming attire. That's all and it's just a simple matter of respect. It's not brain surgery after all!!!
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

777way

Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:47 am

Sorry but T shirts are a diifferent thing, if you had said tank top which is more beach/swim wear then I wouldnt have commented.

MaverickM11

Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:54 pm

I've spent a lot of time in AUH and I can't think of anything other than the mosque that I'd recommend that isn't a hotel or restaurant. But Pachaylen in the Eastern Mangroves hotel is one of the best, if not the best, Thai restaurant I've ever been to, and I try to stop by every time I go to AUH. The rooftop bar at the Yas Viceroy is kinda interesting if it's open...
I don't take responsibility at all

notaxonrotax

Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:31 pm

Be careful taking pictures!

Spotters Arrested At Fujairah (by TC957 Mar 2 2015 in Civil Aviation)

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:43 am

Two quick suggestions from here:

- if you visit the Gran Mosque, you may be lucky enough to see the Solar Impulse flying over Al Bateen airport, as it is doing now (have a look on FR24).

- for the beach my strong recommendation is to go to Al Saadiyat public beach or to the much more expensive Monte Carlo Club

kevin

Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:17 pm

Apart from the mosque (1 hr max) there's not much to see or do unless u r into wining/dining in 5* hotels (which isn't cheap) and shopping. There r a couple of architecturally interesting buildings but yeah that's pretty much it. If u'll have time take a day trip to Dubai (1hr drive)

777way

Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:08 pm

Quoting kevin (Reply 15):
If u'll have time take a day trip to Dubai (1hr drive)

To wine/dine and shop? ski, desert safari, what else?

VCEflyboy

Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:07 am

Go to the top of the ETIHAD towers and plan to have lunch or dinner at the EMIRATEs palace hotel which is across the street. It is a great experience.

kevin

Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:06 am

Quoting 777way (Reply 16):
To wine/dine and shop? ski, desert safari, what else?

Hahaha u r right, same same in Dubai. But since this is his first time, he might as welll see for himself what all the hype is about    

B742
Topic Author

Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:26 pm

Thanks all for the advice.

Had dinner at "Lebanese flower restaurant". Food was great. They have a couple of locations in Abu Dhabi.
Quoting mmo (Reply 8):
You mentioned the Lebanese Flower, it's probably the best Lebanese restaurant I have been to. If you can, go to the original one which is over by the Sheraton Kaladhia. Also, grab a taxi to get there as parking is extremely hard to find because of the take away business done there.

I agree with both of you and managed to go one evening - great food.

Quoting 777 (Reply 14):
- if you visit the Gran Mosque, you may be lucky enough to see the Solar Impulse flying over Al Bateen airport, as it is doing now (have a look on FR24).

Managed to see the Solar Impulse doing loops over Abu Dhabi, too hazy for photos though - thanks for the heads up.

The Grand Mosque was a great thing to see - would advise anyone going to go in the early evening for sunset photos.

One thing I hadn't realized was how far Yas Island Mall is from the Corniche itself - quite a distance; although with taxis in Abu Dhabi so cheap, its not much of a problem.