green12324
Topic Author

Moving To Chicago

Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:02 am

Hey there,
My girlfriend and I will be moving to the Chicagoland area in the summer and need some advice on where to live. I'll be attending Lewis University and likely working as an agent at O'Hare. She's going to school downtown, picking up work wherever she can. What are some safe, affordable neighborhoods we should look at? Also, if anyone has any experience in the Chicago aviation industry I'm all ears. My major is aviation administration, and right now I'm working at a downstate airport ground handling for Trans States. They don't have any transfer opportunities, so I'll be looking to start fresh with a new company at least for the next couple years of college.

Thanks for the help

Anthony
The views expressed in this post are my own. They have not
been reviewed or approved by my employer.

Superfly

RE: Moving To Chicago

Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:58 am

Quoting Green12324 (Thread starter):
What are some safe, affordable neighborhoods we should look at?

Good luck with that one!

A place near the airport may not be as expensive.
Bring back the Concorde

kngkyle

Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:48 pm

Check out the neighborhoods along the blue line between downtown and O'Hare. Logan Square or wicker park for example.

mt99

Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:28 pm

Quoting Kngkyle (Reply 2):
Check out the neighborhoods along the blue line between downtown and O'Hare. Logan Square or wicker park for example.

Id also check out Jefferson Park - a buddy just moved round there and its safe, close to the Blue Line, Metra, expressways - a great location all around
Step into my office, baby

An-225

Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:51 pm

I live next to Cumberland blue line. No complaints in this neighborhood. You can find a decent apartment within walking distance of the station. If you walk around the neighborhood, there should be tons of FOR RENT signs up all over the place. That's how I found my place almost 3 years ago.

Alex.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

Superfly

Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:39 pm

Quoting Kngkyle (Reply 2):

Nice and very hip areas but getting pricey.

Quoting An-225 (Reply 4):
I live next to Cumberland blue line. No complaints in this neighborhood. You can find a decent apartment within walking distance of the station.

Good suggestion.
Bring back the Concorde

green12324
Topic Author

Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:49 pm

Cool thanks for the suggestions everyone.

rugger

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:17 pm

If you are going to be attending Lewis University out by Romeoville and already have a job at ORD I can't figure out why you'd want to live on the north side of the city. That's quite a drive from that part of town out to Romeoville. I'd probably look for some point between Romeoville and ORD, maybe Lisle or Downers Grove. You'd be spending less time in your car driving. There is no public transit from the City of Chicago to Romeoville.

ER757

Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:42 pm

when I worked at ORD, I lived in Des Plaines - if your gf is going to need to go downtown that could work if she took Metra commuter rail (provided her schedule and the trains are co-ordinated). If you're looking in the suburbs, Rosemont could work too - she could take the CTA light rail downtown easily.

luckyone

Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:02 am

Quoting Rugger (Reply 7):
If you are going to be attending Lewis University out by Romeoville and already have a job at ORD I can't figure out why you'd want to live on the north side of the city. That's quite a drive from that part of town out to Romeoville. I'd probably look for some point between Romeoville and ORD, maybe Lisle or Downers Grove. You'd be spending less time in your car driving. There is no public transit from the City of Chicago to Romeoville

They have a Chicago Campus, though its offices are in Bronzeville. Not on the Blue Line.

If the commute is your primary concern, check out Ukrainian Village, Bucktown, Logan Square. Relatively close to downtown, not too far from O'Hare (maybe 25 minutes or so via Blue Line). You could also check out Old Irving Park, Avondale. All of the Blue Line stops have bus lines, so you could also look a little further east, such as Roscoe Village, Ravenswood, or the Southport Corridor, all of which are easy access to downtown on the Brown Line. Either way something is going to give regarding location given the spread of places you would need to be. You could, alternatively, try to work at Midway Airport and live either in the West Loop, University Village, Bridgeport, or Bronzeville, all of which would be much easier on the commute for both of you. Feel free to PM me with other questions about Chicago.

iFlyLOTs

Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:45 am

Lewis University

Hey! I go to Lewis and don't graduate until December, feel free if you want to message me about any of the aviation professors, I know and have had classes with all of them.

Lisle or Downers Grove

Both are great places to live. Most places between I-55 and I-88 will get you into the city quickly. If you live near RT-53 then you basically have a straight shot into the front entrance of Lewis. I know a lot of people that have found good apartments in Woodridge, with Lisle's train station just up the road with Metra in the morning your girlfriend shouldn't have an issue getting into the city.

Looking for jobs at the airports, I have a lot of buddies that work for Swissport, Envoy (that's also the ground handling division, right?), and a few other places up at O'Hare. There are also jobs at Midway for Southwest last I checked, and then you can always get a job at one of the Local FBOs, the Lewis FBO always likes to hire students.
"...stay hungry, stay foolish" -Steve Jobs

Confuscius

Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:59 am

Altgeld Gardens in the south side, it's not safe but it's affordable.
Ain't I a stinker?

luckyone

Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:21 pm

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 11):

Haha good one! About as inconvenient as living in Indiana.

bjorn14

Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:40 pm

Hyde Park is the place to be. Where Obama stays/lives.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

luckyone

Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:23 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 13):
Hyde Park is the place to be. Where Obama stays/lives.

His house is actually in Kenwood.

green12324
Topic Author

Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:11 pm

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I've been able to find some good looking places on Craigslist in the Cumberland and Jefferson Park areas. Downer's Grove seems to be a pretty good place as well.

For anyone who works at Midway/O'Hare, what are the pay scales like there?
I found the following payscale for WN, but it was posted in 2009 so probably isn't accurate anymore.
10.28 - 11.12 (after 6 months)

I have experience working gates, ticketing, and ramp, so I'm mostly looking to go wherever will pay me most/offer the best benefits.
Are the FBOs any good?
I've seen some supervisor positions open for American at O'Hare, what's it like being a supervisor? I'll be in school, so I don't want to take on more than I can handle.

AR1300

Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:03 pm

I lived there for 6 years.I used to live in Albany Park, quite close to ORD.Around that area and around West Rogers Park rent wasnt so high.
And the brown line took me to the loop area in 40 min
You are now free to move about the cabin

LFutia

Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:10 am

Hello. Im a Chicago resident too. Jefferson Park is like 10 minutes from where I live. Pretty nice area, can get to the airport easily by train. What is your price range? I live in the Skokie / Niles / Morton Grove / Lincolnwood area. All not too far from ORD, easily a 20 minute drive with no traffic.

Leo/ORD
Leo/ORD

Beardown91737

Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:15 am

If you are going to be attending Lewis University out by Romeoville and already have a job at ORD I can't figure out why you'd want to live on the north side of the city. That's quite a drive from that part of town out to Romeoville. I'd probably look for some point between Romeoville and ORD, maybe Lisle or Downers Grove. You'd be spending less time in your car driving. There is no public transit from the City of Chicago to Romeoville.

It really depends on how many days you spend at LOT and how many at ORD. You probably want to live nearer to ORD, but between, or maybe to the east, but not where you would get stuck in local street traffic. West of ORD is also a possibility because it is also north of LOT. The downtown school can also be reachable by commuter train. I did that when I was in college.

NONONONO!!!!!!!!!!!!! He would also have a lot of forms to fill out. Also not convenient to ORD or LOT.
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.

green12324
Topic Author

Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:44 am

Quoting Beardown91737 (Reply 18):
What is your price range?

I'll likely be working a customer service or fleet service agent, so I won't have a lot to spend. $800 is about the top of our budget based on what we make now. I make $10.77 an hour, what are starting wages like in ORD?

Superfly

Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:33 am

Quoting Green12324 (Reply 19):
I make $10.77 an hour, what are starting wages like in ORD?

You may need to move to Hammond, Indiana and have your car in good running shape.
Sherreville and Dyer are nice cities on the boarder. Very safe, clean and not too expensive. Hammond will be cheaper but a little down-market in price/quality. Whiting may not be a bad choice either. Just stay out of the city of East Chicago and Gary.
Once you cross on to the Indiana side, cost drop significantly. Significantly lower taxes and cost on everything.
Gasoline is cheaper, taxes are cheaper, rent is significantly cheaper, registration is cheaper, it's across the board cheaper.
Don't listen to the snobs in Chicago. They talk of Indiana as being some wasteland far away on the other side of the country. Little do they know, city proper of Chicago sits on the Indiana/Illinois boarder. Hammond & Gary are a shorter drive to downtown Chicago than O'Hare. I know this because I'm a native of Gary.
On the wage that you're earning, you may need to look on Craigslist and get roommates if you want to live on the Illinois side - particularly in Chicago. CTA transit passes will exceed the cost of owning a small, fuel efficient car.

Even their 'community organizer' gave up on that place! Stuffing envelopes at a law firm his gurlfriend got him the hook-up at was a safer job.  
Bring back the Concorde

mt99

Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:06 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 20):
Once you cross on to the Indiana side, cost drop significantly. Significantly lower taxes and cost on everything.
Gasoline is cheaper, taxes are cheaper, rent is significantly cheaper, registration is cheaper, it's across the board cheaper.

An your life will be is boring as all hell.

hey talk of Indiana as being some wasteland far away on the other side of the country.

That's pretty accurate. If you are driving from Chicago to Indianapolis don't run out of gas or open the windows from the border till you reach I65

CTA transit passes will exceed the cost of owning a small, fuel efficient car.

$5 a day That's $150 if you use CTA 2xday every day of the month. Where do you get a car+fuel+insurance for $150?

Superfly

Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:22 pm

Grean12324;

Don't listen to the snobs in Chicago.
Quoting mt99 (Reply 21):
An your life will be is boring as all hell.

That's pretty accurate. If you are driving from Chicago to Indianapolis don't run out of gas or open the windows from the border till you reach I65

..and there you have it.
That didn't take long either.

Chicago snobbery in full effect.
Even going further out west to Elgin an Aurora, Illinois is more expensive and takes longer to commute than simply doing the smart thing and living very close to Chicago on the boarder on the Indiana side.

Quoting mt99 (Reply 21):
$5 a day That's $150 if you use CTA 2xday every day of the month.

How about Metra+CTA?
Metro rail cost goes up significantly once you step outside the high rent / ghetto of Chicago.

Quoting mt99 (Reply 21):
Where do you get a car+fuel+insurance for $150?

In Indiana.
Bring back the Concorde

mt99

Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:01 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 22):
..and there you have it.
That didn't take long either.

We snobs are really efficient

luckyone

Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:23 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 21):
$5 a day That's $150 if you use CTA 2xday every day of the month. Where do you get a car+fuel+insurance for $150?

As an O'Hare employee he would not be subject to the $5 CTA O'Hare fare. A monthly CTA pass is $100, and if memory serves me correctly monthly pass holders don't get charged the surcharge either, or at least they didn't in the days when I used CTA exclusively.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 22):
Quoting mt99 (Reply 21):
Where do you get a car+fuel+insurance for $150?

In Indiana.

I don't think there's any way possible that a car is going to be cheaper than public transportation. Also, that does not take into account that though the Indiana burbs are geographically close to Chicago, they are not close to O'Hare. You're talking at minimum a 46 mile commute (54 if you'd prefer to avoid tolls) each way and it will take close to two hours each way to get there and get home in normal every day traffic. To get to O'Hare requires driving on either the Dan Ryan/Kennedy expressways, which on a normal day are 45 - 1 hour just between downtown and O'Hare, not even factoring in the trip to get to downtown, or taking the 294, which is still a slog, and will set you back a couple bucks in tolls each way. Gas in that part of Indiana is usually around $0.30/gal cheaper, which while nice, is not going to make up the difference in rent, and will be mitigated by tolls. Insurance on most cars, liability only, is also going to be at least half of that. And a beater is not going to survive very long on Indiana roads--and no snobbery intended, but there's a noticeable difference between the expressways in Indiana and the expressways in Illinois, and it's not in Indiana's favor. Just last week I drove to Kzoo, Michigan and you could literally feel the difference on the Indiana stretch.

They talk of Indiana as being some wasteland far away on the other side of the country.

While I don't think it's a wasteland (though parts of it will certainly qualify as nasty in my humble opinion, just like old industrial Chicago), it's a different world than Chicago, and I personally prefer a more urban environment. Your interpretation of that depends on the lifestyle you like to live. Now, the stretch of I-65 between 80/90/94 and Indy...I'm sorry, were it not for the windmills, is indeed a wasteland. Same for the rest of 65 between Indy and Louisville, NADA there and nothing but scrubby fields.

Superfly

Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:46 am

Quoting luckyone (Reply 24):
As an O'Hare employee he would not be subject to the $5 CTA O'Hare fare. A monthly CTA pass is $100, and if memory serves me correctly monthly pass holders don't get charged the surcharge either, or at least they didn't in the days when I used CTA exclusively.

So how does that work with Metra and or other public transportation outside city proper Chicago?

I don't think there's any way possible that a car is going to be cheaper than public transportation.

Sure it can. Buy a used, fuel efficient car with cash. A 10 year old Toyota Corolla, basic liability insurance can still come out less then public transportation. There are hidden cost with both but the advantages of having the freedom to go where you want, when you want far outweighs any nominal savings with public transportation. There will be times when he wants to go places not served by public transportation an may have to rely on taxis which are very expensive.

To get to O'Hare requires driving on either the Dan Ryan/Kennedy expressways,

Wrong. The short cut is the Skyway to Stoney Island to Lake Shore Drive. I do it in about 20 minutes.
Not to mention, Green12324 will be a student and most likely will not have to deal with a 1st shift commute. He'll most likely have an off-peak commute time like most students.

but there's a noticeable difference between the expressways in Indiana and the expressways in Illinois, and it's not in Indiana's favor.

That's funny, I found Illinois roads to be worse. You really feel the difference when crossing the Illinois-Wisconsin boarder.

Now, the stretch of I-65 between 80/90/94 and Indy...I'm sorry, were it not for the windmills, is indeed a wasteland.

Like most of Illinois outside the Chicago metro area.
Bring back the Concorde

luckyone

Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:30 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 25):

Like most of Illinois outside the Chicago metro area.

Indeed, but the conversation was about Indiana. Downstate gets ragged on just as much.

Wrong. The short cut is the Skyway to Stoney Island to Lake Shore Drive. I do it in about 20 minutes.

You can verify with google maps if you'd like, but I currently live here and have lived here for several years and I'm afraid it is you who are incorrect. Just to verify, I checked again (it's 11pm local time, no traffic), and the shortest time is 1 hour via 294, accounting for not following the speed limit I could see it being done in 50 minutes. LSD is out of the way, and does not go to O'Hare. If you come up LSD you're either going to have to the take the Ike over to the Kennedy, or go up LSD, which ends in Edgewater at Hollywood Av about 14 miles from O'Hare, then you can go along one of the slower side streets. Both options will completely negate whatever time savings the Skyway might offer. The Skyway is also tolled, which negates a lot of the cost advantage of living in Indiana. And in the middle of the night (just now) via the Skyway, it takes 30 minutes to get to Jackson Park Hospital (just north of the Stony Island exit from the Skyway) from Gary. Bottom line to the OP, Indiana isn't going to offer you any significant time or money savings, and if anything will cost you more time overall. I'm staying away from it being a place I don't like, because that has more to do with my preferences than any real commentary on the people who live there. The choice is yours. If you prefer a more vibrant environment with more things to do, then Chicago is your better bet, and closer to work for you and your girlfriend. If you like whatever advantages you feel NW Indiana might offer you, then that should be factored into the equation.

So how does that work with Metra and or other public transportation outside city proper Chicago?

Ventra works on CTA and PACE. If he's working at O'Hare and studying in the city he won't need Metra. If he's at the Romeoville campus obviously that's a different kettle of fish. Edited because I initially misunderstood what your post said.

[Edited 2015-03-16 22:03:56]

Superfly

Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:20 am

Quoting luckyone (Reply 26):
You can verify with google maps

I've been doing that route ages before any Google was invented.

1 hour via 294

294 is bad news all the time. Avoid at all cost.

. If you prefer a more vibrant environment with more things to do, then Chicago is your better bet,

Agreed but at $10.77 per hour. YIKES!

By the way, how much is Cicero, Berwyn and Elmhurst? Are they still affordable or have those cities gone crazy with real estate prices?

If he's at the Romeoville campus obviously that's a different kettle of fish

Exactly!
Definitely would need a car.
Bring back the Concorde

luckyone

Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:23 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 27):
By the way, how much is Cicero, Berwyn and Elmhurst? Are they still affordable or have those cities gone crazy with real estate prices?

Elmhurst is typical WASP. Cicero and Berwyn are still affordable. And you can get great tacos there!

294 is bad news all the time. Avoid at all cost.

It's still the shortest and fastest route to O'Hare from NWI.   I'd rather take 294 over the Kennedy

I've been doing that route ages before any Google was invented.

Then you know LSD is backtracking  

Superfly

Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:00 am

Quoting luckyone (Reply 28):
Elmhurst is typical WASP.

So?
Is it affordable & safe?

Cicero and Berwyn are still affordable. And you can get great tacos there!

Well there were have it!
We've found a winner!  
Affordable, safe, convenient location and great tacos.
What more could one ask for?
Green12324?

It's still the shortest and fastest route to O'Hare from NWI. I'd rather take 294 over the Kennedy

Sometimes that is the case if there something going on downtown Chicago.
We just know to avoid the Dan Ryan at all cost.

Then you know LSD is backtracking

No. Taking LSD gives you a much better trip...
You see things you wouldn't see if you didn't take LSD.
Bring back the Concorde

green12324
Topic Author

Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:09 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 29):
Well there were have it!
We've found a winner!  
Affordable, safe, convenient location and great tacos.
What more could one ask for?
Green12324?

I was actually looking at Pilsen, which is just a bit east of Cicero, so I'll look there as well. I definitely appreciate the tips.

Superfly

Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:00 am

Quoting Green12324 (Reply 30):
I was actually looking at Pilsen, which is just a bit east of Cicero, so I'll look there as well. I definitely appreciate the tips.

Enjoy those tacos!  
Bring back the Concorde

luckyone

Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:51 pm

Quoting Green12324 (Reply 30):

Well east of Cicero, lol. Pilsen is an interesting neighborhood, split roughly into two parts. There's the eastern part that borders the University District and Bridgeport/Chinatown, and it's gentrifying at a steady state. The transportation options are more convenient in this area between the Red and Orange Lines, and the Halsted street bus. Then there's the western half of Pilsen that borders the Hispanic South Lawndale and McKinley Park neighborhoods. Transportation is a little less convenient with the Damen and Western Avenue buses and the Pink Line el. This area tends to attract more hipsters as they get priced out of Wicker Park and Ukie Village, and can be dicier at night as it does have some gang involvement. I would explore this part of the neighborhood thoroughly before settling on a place.

Yes LSD has a better view. Which is great if you're not in a hurry. When trying to get to work the most direct route is usually preferred, but whatever floats your boat.

So?
Is it affordable & safe?

By WASP I mean your typical expensive white suburbs. Safe yes. Affordable? For the OP no.

flanker

Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:01 pm

Since my previous post got deleted when I called Chicago a bastion of hell, I will actually like to ask you what in the world has possessed you to move to this place?

I've been living in this area since 1996, Graduated from Lewis in Romeoville. I've worked all over (O'hare as well). Honestly, its corrupt, expensive, taxed to hell and back, congested, loud, endless traffic, construction and life here generally sucks the soul out of you.

But if you REALLY HAD TO move here, I suggest western suburbs where living is somewhat cheap. ( Downers Grove, Westmont, Clarendon Hills..Willowbrook/Bolingbrook) It gives you a good place to start from, especially being close to the arteries in and out of the city.

If you're doing school, I would look into the Aviation program at Lewis.There are amazing teachers there with real world experience. Expensive but worth it if you're going to be into that.

God help you.

[Edited 2015-03-17 10:02:23]

[Edited 2015-03-17 10:09:04]

flanker

Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:05 pm

Oh yeah! I loooove taking LSD. I thought I was so free one time, then I had to get off it and remembered I was still in the city limits.

green12324
Topic Author

Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:17 pm

Quoting Flanker (Reply 33):
Since my previous post got deleted when I called Chicago a bastion of hell, I will actually like to ask you what in the world has possessed you to move to this place?

School, work, opportunity. I'm going to Lewis University so need to be located closer than I am now, and pursuing a career in aviation Chicago will provide much more opportunity than I could find elsewhere. Plus my girlfriend is going to school downtown and is going to give theatre a shot, so Chicago is the place to be. If we hate it we can move once our college programs are complete.

Superfly

Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:36 pm

Quoting luckyone (Reply 32):
This area tends to attract more hipsters as they get priced out of Wicker Park and Ukie Village

Wicker Park was much more sterile than before on my visit over the last Christmas holiday. Kind of sad actually.

can be dicier at night as it does have some gang involvement.

Green12324 may need to earn some street cred.   

Yes LSD has a better view. Which is great if you're not in a hurry. When trying to get to work the most direct route is usually preferred, but whatever floats your boat.

Once he hits the Kennedy Expressway northwest of the Loop, then he'd have a reverse commute out to ORD.
I know the streets and the streets know me.
I know all the short cuts!

By WASP I mean your typical expensive white suburbs. Safe yes. Affordable? For the OP no.

I've always had a knack for finding the cheapest place in nice areas. If Romeoville wasn't so far away, I'd suggest the north suburbs - near Ferris Bueller's old home.

But if you REALLY HAD TO move here, I suggest western suburbs where living is somewhat cheap.

If he could get a Tuesday & Thursday only class schedule and work the other days, I'd suggest the neighborhood I grew up in as a kid - Miller Beach.
soon to be annexed from the rest of Gary and become an independent city
Truly a hidden gem in the greater Chicagoland cesspool. Lots of land, large custom homes on large lots, low cost of living, parking, pristine beachfront with panoramic views of the Chicago skyline, hiking trails, lakes to ice skate in the winter, fishing in the summer, dunes, bicycle paths and even has a micro brewery on Lake street.

Downers Grove

LSD

Downers? LSD?
What has this thread turned in to?

God help you.

Ain't that the truth!
Bring back the Concorde

LFutia

Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:36 am

It's still the shortest and fastest route to O'Hare from NWI.   I'd rather take 294 over the Kennedy

Me too and since the Kennedy is under construction I still have no choice but to take the Kennedy but when I go to work in Gurnee, 294 / 94 is smooth as silk. Only after the Edens toll do things go downhill and why do 2 lanes merge into one at the end of the tollway part of 94. Whoever designed that is dumb as rocks.

Leo/ORD
Leo/ORD

Superfly

Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:43 am

Quoting LFutia (Reply 37):
the Kennedy is under construction

That stretch of expressway is perpetually under construction. I can remember way back to the 1970s and that stretch was under construction back then and always has up till this day.
Got to keep those unions happy.
Bring back the Concorde

flanker

Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:24 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 38):
Got to keep those unions happy.

AINT THAT THE TRUTH!!!!! Just look at I55...290 and 90. Despicable.

mt99

Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:13 pm

, I will actually like to ask you what in the world has possessed you to move to this place?

Lots of people are moving in...

" In fact, 385 companies either expanded or located in Chicago in 2014, resulting in the city being named Site Selection’s Top Metro in the US for the second straight"

http://www.siteselection.com/issues/2015/mar/top-metros.cfm

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...-breaks-to-lure-a-big-corporate-hq