Max Q
Topic Author

Solution To The Printer Cartridge Rip Off?

Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:16 am

I'm so fed up with the outrageous price of these things yet I haven't found a way to not pay it.

Tried 'generic' cartridges for my HP and they just don't work.
Anyone with an idea that works ?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns are a malignant cancer that are destroying our society

garnetpalmetto

RE: Solution To The Printer Cartridge Rip Off?

Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:26 am

That's kind of the point. The entire business model for printers is based on what's called the razors and blades business model. The durable good (the printer) is sold at a lower price to drive the sale of the complementary good (the ink) that's necessary for the operation of the durable good and whose slightly inflated price will offset the loss on the durable good and be the profit generator.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

vikkyvik

Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:30 am

Quoting Max Q (Thread starter):

Print stuff out at work.   

Seriously, I haven't owned a printer in years.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Airstud

Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:36 am

Exactly. Motoral Xoom or iPad would be the way to go.
Pancakes are delicious.

Dreadnought

Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:38 am

Use laser printers. A little more expensive to buy, but they don't clog when you don't use them regularly.

I haven't bought an inkjet since the HP DeskJet 500C (which dates me  )
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

DocLightning

Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:41 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 4):

Use laser printers. A little more expensive to buy, but they don't clog when you don't use them regularly.

I haven't bought an inkjet since the HP DeskJet 500C (which dates me &nbsp Wink

Yes, but I like the option to print in color. I color code my workouts, for example.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

larshjort

Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:53 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 5):

Yes, but I like the option to print in color. I color code my workouts, for example.

Buy a colour laser. They don't cost much more than a b/w printer.

/Lars
139, 306, 319, 320, 321, 332, 34A, AN2, AT4, AT5, AT7, 733, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 146, AR1, BH2, CN1, CR2, DH1, DH3, DH4,

flanker

Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:58 am

I'm so fed up with the outrageous price of these things yet I haven't found a way to not pay it.

Tried 'generic' cartridges for my HP and they just don't work.

its called a laser printer with toner

StarAC17

Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:26 am

Quoting Larshjort (Reply 6):

Furthermore what I like about laser printers is that many of the new models offer two sided printing which is something and inkjet cannot do so it is efficient to print large documents on both sides of a sheets saving half the paper.

Toner cartridges cost more but you get so much more life out of them.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

ltbewr

Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:49 am

Staples has 'house' brand cartridges as well as a $2 per inkjet cartridge credit program that can save you a few bucks. There is a franchise chain called Cartridge World that does ink refilling.

Airstud

Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:52 am

I haven't bought an inkjet since the HP DeskJet 500C (which dates me )

Dates shmates; I used to print out high school papers on an LA-50 
Pancakes are delicious.

n229nw

Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:29 am

Laser...

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 5):

As many have said, buy a color laser.

Buy a Brother. I've had several Brother laser printers and I have never had to replace one due to failure (can't say that for other brands). Only had to give them up because they went obsolete (as in, no more computers with serial cables for the first one, then wanted wireless, etc.) And they have great customer service. I've become a fanboy.
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

A332DTW

Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:34 am

I read somewhere that there's a reset switch that gives you some more ink when you think its empty.

tommy1808

Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:52 am

buy a lease return if you don't print much, my refurbished HP Color Laserjet CP1515N cost me 95,- Euro, black toner above 50%, RGY above 75% and just 2400 pages printed. Fast, high quality, networked, and since it's not a consumer model, toner is cheap.

My Kyrocera BW printer was just 25 Euro and served me well for years.
On top: no dried up ink tanks...

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

rwessel

Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:27 am

As others have mentioned, consumer inkjets very much run on the razor-and-razorblades model. And you get very expensive ink.

Buy a business inkjet, and the ink costs are drastically lower.

More precisely the ink cost per page is drastically lower - most of the business inkjet cartridges cost a pretty penny in absolute terms, but contain a considerable amount of ink. The high capacity black cartridge for the HP Officejet X series machines, for example, run about $120 (HP 970XL), but is good for some 9000 pages (yes, that's three zeros after the nine). The three color cartridges are also about $120 in XL form, but a set is good for about 6500 pages. And yes, that's $480 for a set of (high capacity) cartridges on a $600 printer.

In real terms, Officejet X's are actually cheaper to run than low-end lasers.

Something a bit more midrange, like an 8630 (under $300), also gets a good deal of life out of a set of cartridges. You can get a pair of high capacity ones, 950XL (Black) plus 951XL (CMY), which gets you 2300(BW)/1500(color) pages, for about $150. More than twice the cost per page of the X, but still far cheaper than typical consumer printers.

Both of the above have standard capacity ink cartridges as well, but the price per page is higher, but your printing volume/mix may make those a good option (for example, if you only rarely print color, you're probably better off mixing high capacity black and standard capacity color ink cartridges).

All of that assumes you have the printing volume to justify those devices.

flynhi808

Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:05 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 9):
There is a franchise chain called Cartridge World that does ink refilling.

Costco works too  

I heart costco
fly-n-HI-808

XAM2175

Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:34 pm

I'll just be over here with my IBM 2481...  

Revelation

Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:04 pm

Last printer I bought was a Canon Pixma inkjet because it was an 'all-in-one' fax/scan/copy/print device. It actually does a good job at these tasks without tons of bloated software (which is why I hate HP products). The high cost of ink does drive me insane, though, and the ink does dry out (not clog) if I don't use it for a while. My 'fix' is to let the color inks run out and just keep buying the bigger tub of black ink. Luckily the machine will still print even when the color inks are out (unlike some competing products that will just shut down in order to force you to buy the color ink).

Seems like the best approach is to go for a laser. In retrospect I wish I did so when I had the chance as OfficeMax was going bankrupt after the Great Financial Crisis.

Quoting Airstud (Reply 10):
Dates shmates; I used to print out high school papers on an LA-50
Quoting XAM2175 (Reply 16):
I'll just be over here with my IBM 2481...

My high school rocked a PDP-8 with Teletype model 33 ASR:

and a DECwriter, a.k.a. LA-36:

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/computinghistory/la36.jpg
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

tommy1808

Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:29 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 17):

My high school rocked a PDP-8 with Teletype model 33 ASR:

ah... memories ... nothing beats printing a 600 page thesis on a 9 needle Star NL10 printer in NLQ in a one room apartment. ..without a function to pause the print.

Best regards
Thomas

Dreadnought

Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:38 pm

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 18):
nothing beats printing a 600 page thesis on a 9 needle Star NL10 printer

LOL, I had EXACTLY that printer in college!

casinterest

Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:55 pm

The last time I went to buy Ink for my Printer, the box with the printer and the ink was cheaper, so I bought the Printer and donated it to a friend and kept the ink.
Where ever you go, there you are.

tommy1808

Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:29 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 19):
LOL, I had EXACTLY that printer in college!

Didn't pretty much everyone at that time have either a Star NL10, LC10 or NEC P6?

Best regards
Thomas

DocLightning

Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:31 pm

I guess I've been living under a rock. I just googled prices and they're more expensive than inkjets, but if the toner cartridges are cheaper then it makes sense. I always thought of color laser printers as a perpetually expensive venture. I've never seen them in used the office before (and I wish we could).

However, for me the inkjet makes financial sense. I print a few pages a year, really, so even if my per-sheet costs are really high, I'll never pay off the free printer.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

tommy1808

Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:54 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 22):
However, for me the inkjet makes financial sense. I print a few pages a year, really, so even if my per-sheet costs are really high, I'll never pay off the free printer.

if you only print a few pages per year a laser makes even more sense. Toner doesn't dry out. Ever.
Go for a used one, a mint condition color laser printer is cheaper than even a decent low cost ink pisser, and the toner you get with it probably enough for you to put it in your will.

Best regards
Thomas

Dreadnought

Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:30 pm

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 23):
if you only print a few pages per year a laser makes even more sense. Toner doesn't dry out. Ever.

Last year I dug up my old HP Laserjet 4P from the basement and gave it to my nephew who needed a printer for school. I bought it in 1993 or 1994, and haven't used it in about 15 years. Plugged it in, and it still works perfectly - didn't have to change cartridges or anything.

However, for me the inkjet makes financial sense. I print a few pages a year, really,

Laser is the way to go, especially if you aren't printing every day. With inkjets, the day you need it, you find the jets clogged. Happened to me every time.

sccutler

Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:21 pm

I have HP LaserJet color printers, and have had very good luck with recycled toner cartridges from a local supplier, yield is good.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

Bongodog1964

Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:22 pm

I guess I've been living under a rock. I just googled prices and they're more expensive than inkjets, but if the toner cartridges are cheaper then it makes sense. I always thought of color laser printers as a perpetually expensive venture. I've never seen them in used the office before (and I wish we could).

A full set of cartridges for a colour laser could easily set you back over £400 at UK prices, but this would then produce 4000 colour sheets and 4000 black.

Quoting casinterest (Reply 20):

The last time I went to buy Ink for my Printer, the box with the printer and the ink was cheaper, so I bought the Printer and donated it to a friend and kept the ink.

I'd always found that the cartridges were nearly as much as a new printer with a set until my latest purchase, much to my surprise the cartridges were only filled for 1000 copies, not the full 4000.

In order to save a few pennies I've tried going down the re manufactured route but they are generally crap, sooner or later they leak toner all over the place.

rwessel

Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:06 am

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 26):
I'd always found that the cartridges were nearly as much as a new printer with a set until my latest purchase, much to my surprise the cartridges were only filled for 1000 copies, not the full 4000.

Most of the manufactures have been including "starter" cartridges in the box with the printer for some time now.

tommy1808

Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:27 am

Quoting rwessel (Reply 27):

Most of the manufactures have been including "starter" cartridges in the box with the printer for some time now.

mostly printers designed for the consumer market though.

best regards
Thomas

Bongodog1964

Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:58 pm

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 28):
mostly printers designed for the consumer market though.

best regards
Thomas

Mine was a Samsung professional model.

PlymSpotter

Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:43 pm

It costs me around £16 to re-fill the four tanks on my Canon IX4000. Personally I don't think that's too bad as I get a lot of print for the money.

Quoting A332DTW (Reply 12):

I read somewhere that there's a reset switch that gives you some more ink when you think its empty.

I'm not sure about that, but I never change the cartridge when it tells me to. Going back a few years I was printing out a load of coursework for a Uni module. The 'tank empty' warning showed up on page 1 for Cyan, yet it printed all 48 A3 sheets in full colour just fine.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

tommy1808

Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:58 pm

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 29):

Now that is an unsettling development, unless there is a reasonable discount involved.

Best regards
Thomas

vikkyvik

Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:36 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 30):
The 'tank empty' warning showed up on page 1 for Cyan, yet it printed all 48 A3 sheets in full colour just fine.

I'm sure it's like the gas tank warning light in your car. I consistently drive 50+ miles after my gas light has gone on, and I could probably drive another 50 if I wouldn't be worried the whole time.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

rugger

Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:04 am

Those DECwriters were popular in FBO's back in the 70's/80's for printing out hourly weather FSS sequence reports. I can still hear the "zip zip zip" noise they would make while printing. Some places even used an IBM 2541, which printed nonstop. They were so slow they would just be finishing the 1pm hourly when the 2pm hourly would start printing.

Most computers can support multiple printers. Get a color printer and a laser printer. Print photos on the color printer, everything else on the laser. I get 4-5 YEARS use out of a toner cartridge for my HP1020 printer.

Ink jets like Garnettpalmetto stated is kind of like Radio Shack was with Tandy computers. They get you in the door for a cheap price, then screw you royally on the renewables.

Bongodog1964

Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:04 pm

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 31):
Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 29):

Now that is an unsettling development, unless there is a reasonable discount involved.

Best regards
Thomas

Previously had a Samsung CLX6250 which we wore out. The replacement appears to be the CLX6260 which though less expensive comes with part filled toner cartridges and is very weak structurally compared to its predecessor. Doubt it will last half the time.

DarkSnowyNight

Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:32 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 32):
I'm sure it's like the gas tank warning light in your car. I consistently drive 50+ miles after my gas light has gone on, and I could probably drive another 50 if I wouldn't be worried the whole time.

Lol, true. But you really shouldn't though. Fuel is also used to cool your fuel pump and at that point, you generally don't have any doing that. Not saying I never do that myself, but that's just what I know.

As a general reference, most cars will get between 60-75mi after the light comes on, so 50 is a pretty good get.
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."

nws2002

Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:21 pm

I use generic cartridges in my Canon PIXMA all-in-one without any issues. I buy them on Amazon, generally whichever ones have free Prime shipping. They are considerably cheaper, around $10 for the full set of large black, small black, magenta, cyan, yellow, and grey. I print maybe 10-20 pages a month, and a full set will last nearly a year with some large print jobs in there like taxes and other random things.

Max Q
Topic Author

Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:18 am

Quoting DarkSnowyNight (Reply 35):
Fuel is also used to cool your fuel pump

Even if that's the case it makes no sense. It's not like less fuel is travelling through the pump when you're close to empty.

It just get pumped through until its all gone, then cooling it is the least of your concerns !

DarkSnowyNight

Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:27 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 37):

It depends on the design, but yeah, you can certainly lose pressure there first before the tank dries on a lot of them. It's part of the reason why that light technically means "get new fuel now," but yeah, like he says, you get at least another 50 miles...

As for printers, no reason on earth not run that cartridge dry. Who cares what the warning says, it's just a printout, so yup, burn it all the way out, I say...
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."

scbriml

Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:26 pm

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 8):
Furthermore what I like about laser printers is that many of the new models offer two sided printing which is something and inkjet cannot do

My HP OfficeJet 8600 does duplex printing.   
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Aesma

Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:39 pm

I buy canon printers and generic cartridges on eBay. Unlike HP the head is part of the printer not the cartridge, so the generic ones are extremely cheap, and work.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Revelation

Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:33 pm

Quoting nws2002 (Reply 36):
I use generic cartridges in my Canon PIXMA all-in-one without any issues. I buy them on Amazon, generally whichever ones have free Prime shipping. They are considerably cheaper, around $10 for the full set of large black, small black, magenta, cyan, yellow, and grey. I print maybe 10-20 pages a month, and a full set will last nearly a year with some large print jobs in there like taxes and other random things.
Quoting Aesma (Reply 40):
I buy canon printers and generic cartridges on eBay. Unlike HP the head is part of the printer not the cartridge, so the generic ones are extremely cheap, and work.

Thanks for the comments. Based on them I just ordered a $10 set for my Pixma and hope that it'll all work out.

Quoting Max Q (Reply 37):
It just get pumped through until its all gone, then cooling it is the least of your concerns !

I've been told you should not suck the tank dry because you pull the dregs at the bottom of the tank into your fuel pump and stuff can get past the fuel filter.

I am convinced there are at least 2 gallons fuel left when my meter reads empty, because I know the size of the tank from the manual and know how much I can add when the meter reads empty. However the warning light bothers me enough to not run it past the empty mark.

If you car is under warrantee you could be voiding it by running it past empty. I wouldn't be surprised if the car's computer recorded such things just to get the dealer out of having to fix it for free.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

vikkyvik

Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:30 pm

Quoting DarkSnowyNight (Reply 35):
Lol, true. But you really shouldn't though. Fuel is also used to cool your fuel pump and at that point, you generally don't have any doing that. Not saying I never do that myself, but that's just what I know.

As a general reference, most cars will get between 60-75mi after the light comes on, so 50 is a pretty good get.

My car has 5 (yes, 5) gallons left when the fuel light comes on (16 gallon tank). I can get 100+ miles after that, though I never have, because as noted, I'd start getting worried.

So in the end, there is usually between between 2 and 4 gallons left when I refuel.

Oh, and to make matters supremely annoying, my gas gauge only has 12 gallons on it. So it goes to empty with 4 gallons left in the tank, after which I have to use miles driven to determine remaining fuel.

Anyway. Sorry for the completely unrelated tangent.

mham001

Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:47 pm

I have an Epson Workforce 845 all in one that is an incredible machine (when it's not clogged) but they thoroughly pissed me off when it refuses to print black and white when I run out of Magenta or Cyan.

I bought a highly rated Samsung laser with double-sided printing for ~$90 and whatever color prints I need, I just go to Walgreens. The Epson still does scanning. Interestingly, Epson does not even sell a laser printer in N America.

rwessel

Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:00 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 39):
Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 8):
Furthermore what I like about laser printers is that many of the new models offer two sided printing which is something and inkjet cannot do

My HP OfficeJet 8600 does duplex printing.   

Tons of inkjets do duplex printing, even something as inexpensive as an HP 6830. Even many mid-range consumer ones (my Mom's new HP 5740, for example - $150 list). Duplex scanning is still usually limited to the higher end devices, but something like an HP 8630 will do it (I'm not sure all the 8600s will duplex scan).

I'd also point out that duplex printing on small-ish lasers is hardly new - we had an HP IIIsi (circa 1991) with duplexing, and that was not HP's first workgroup laser with the feature.

Still, my favorite duplexer was the one IBM did for the 3900 (and maybe later 3800s as well, memory fails me). These were continuous form laser printers. The duplexer was an entire second printer, and a gadget to fit between the two printers to flip the paper over (IOW, the paper was run though one printer to be printed on one side, then through the flipper to turn it over, and then through the second printer to print the other side).

Check out manual page 10 (PDF page 30) of:

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/printers/manuals/ip4000/54454275.pdf

Aesma

Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:26 pm

My mother goes through cartridges at an alarming rate (high school and college professor) so I can attest that generic ones may alter the life of the printer, but have paid off many times by then. I might buy her a laser next time if there is a deal.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

A342

Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:36 pm

I'm really glad i stepped up from some Lexmark crap inkjet (despite being a "business" model, it sucked) to a Samsung CLX-6260FW. Colour Laser with duplex printing and duplex scanning. Toner prices are very reasonable (some each 60€, black lasts 6000 pages, colours 3500). Imaging drums are integrated in said cartridges, so you don't have to worry about those. It even has a real fax function! 
Exceptions confirm the rule.

Max Q
Topic Author

Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:34 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 41):
I've been told you should not suck the tank dry because you pull the dregs at the bottom of the tank into your fuel pump and stuff can get past the fuel filter.

That is true, I ran a car dry once and the engine never ran the same again.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 41):
I am convinced there are at least 2 gallons fuel left when my meter reads empty, because I know the size of the tank from the manual and know how much I can add when the meter reads empty. However the warning light bothers me enough to not run it past the empty mark.

Your owners manual will tell you how much fuel is remaining (approximately) when the low fuel warning light comes on, no need to guess.

Mine comes on at 2.5 gallons remaining, that's when I reset one of my mileage counters to zero and fill up within 30 miles.

rugger

Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:46 am

The only thing that bothers me about getting cartridges refilled at Walgreens or some other source is "Is the viscosity of the ink used to refill the cartridge the same as the original?" I've seen some print heads fail not too long after having the ink cartridges refilled by a third party. If the ink is too thick it could clog the print head.