Your Summer Jobs In High School/ College

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:38 am

What summer jobs did you do when you were younger? Here's my list:

HS (1985-88)
10th grade: worked in my synagogue's library
11th: Movie theatre
12th: Book store

College (1989-1992(
Freshman: Ticket agent for Business Express Airlines (DL connection) in Nantucket.
Sophomore: Ticket agent for Bar Harbor (CO/EA) in Boston
Junior: Camp Counselor
Senior: off to graduate school
21 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2021

NorthstarBoy

RE: Your Summer Jobs In High School/ College

Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:02 am

In high school, I only worked during my Senior Year, at Chick-Fil-A.

I spent my entire college career and then some working as a delivery driver for Domino's Pizza. I started out only working during the summer but later in my college career, i also worked during the school year as a delivery driver. Once I was out of college and pursuing a post-degree travel administration program i continued working as a delivery driver until the time came for me to pursue an internship in my field, at which time i left the pizza industry behind because working 15 hours a day at two jobs would be too challenging.
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

Aesma

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:11 pm

Not common for high schoolers to have a job during the school year here, for cultural but also legal reasons, few companies will hire under 18yos. Then there is the fact that high school ends at 17h. Summer jobs are more common.

Summer of my high school graduation I worked as a "Lab assistant" in the public research center where my father worked. It meant gardening fields and greenhouses. One of the perks was a very cheap restaurant, the other free access to the park of the Chateau de Versailles.

One summer as a student I worked as a postman of the French Post, on a bicycle at first, then later driving a panel van delivering packages.

Otherwise I did mainly internships in IT, the last of which was an introduction to my current job.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

einsteinboricua

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:17 pm

High School:
Summer 10th ->11th Grade: Summer camp counselor (when it came down to it I made less than minimum wage...$500 for the month)
Summer 11th -> 12th Grade: Summer camp counselor (again, way less than minimum wage).

College:
Freshman: Movie theater (getting a check for at least $100 every week: priceless)
Sophomore: NASA Camp chaperone
3rd Year: 6 week internship at the National Weather Service in Memphis
4th Year: 10 week internship at the University of Washington
5th Year: 10 week internship at Penn State
6th Year: 8 week internship at Boeing

[Edited 2015-03-24 05:17:39]
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

sccutler

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:25 pm

Sold auto parts during high school (this back when we still had legitimate parts houses, not the low-service jokes we're saddled with now).

In college, I worked at Sears for a while (interesting, actually, but I moved on), had a job in wafer fabrication at Motorola's Austin plant (very cool work), then back to auto parts for a long stint, until I left to become a full-timer in the grown-up workforce.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

vatveng

Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:31 pm

HS and first 2 summers in college, 1989-92, I worked at an amusement park in Williamsburg, Virginia. I sold cheeseburgers for 3 years and t-shirts the 4th year.

3rd summer in college, I interned in my current career. It's been downhill ever since :/

WarRI1

Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:18 pm

Senior in High school, Super Market, which I hated. Dealing with the public. Before that farm work. Chickens and vegatables.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Osubuckeyes

Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:00 pm

Throughout high school I worked at Coldstone Creamery. I continued to work there until my Senior year of College with a few breaks to party throughout. Freshman year of college I had a different job for two weeks at the Annual Giving Program. It was horrible 4-5 hours of awkwardly begging for money from alum and parents. Senior year I got a second job at a boutique wine shop helping out with tastings and events. Had 2 internships during grad school that led to my current job. Throughout the whole thing I always had contract work that I was doing helping out professors with publications and different projects and what not. None of these were really exclusively summer, but the wine gig was definitely a winter gig as that is big tourist season in AZ.

JJJ

Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:37 pm

I played tennis pretty seriously until junior level (I got to play with people who went on to be top players like Safin or Ferrero who also played the Valencian circuit ) so obviously I gave tennis lessons after quitting competition to make a quick buck.

I also worked at a fruit warehouse for a summer to pay for my first car.

Kekka

Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:19 pm

I added the black dye to garbage bags at the hefty bag factory
Now, I just go to class, read the obituaries looking for the names of people I may know and look for unicorns in the classifieds.

tommy1808

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:18 am

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 3):
Summer camp counselor (when it came down to it I made less than minimum wage...$500 for the month)

be greatful, we got 50% discount om the kids price for being camp counselors. .. so we still had negative income  

As for Summerjobs:

Assembly line for windows and construction work for house building and cobble streets, squares and parking lots at ages 15 to 18 and ....

Grocery store (cashier and meat/cheese service counter)
taking care of handicapped people in 24 hour shifts
callcenter
reaserch assistant
bartender at some bars
bartender at a brothel (John's tip like crab)
traveling with a circus
traveling with a carnival ride
event management
had my own arthouse cinema ... I still have a nice NEC 16mm projector with lenses for different aspect ratios sitting in my basement
CKI and boarding at FMO airport
network administrator

and then I got my masters degree and could went to get a real job, that I still do over a decade later.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

sbworcs

Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:49 am

Aged 13 - I had a newspaper round - once a week on a Thursday!
Aged 14 - 16 - Had a job on a local market selling Toys and then onto clothing - set the stall up Wed / Friday morning and then took down again in the evening. Worked all day Saturday
Aged 16 - 17 - Office Cleaner (evenings) at the office of Rothmans Tobacco
Aged 17 - 18 - Worked evenings 6-10 for the local council doing data entry - started there on a work experience placement and they offered me the job.

Aged 18+ worked full time constantly (bar Jun - Aug 2009 when I was unemployed)

Have also had various part-time jobs to supplement income from full time job as needed!
The best way forwards is upwards!

einsteinboricua

Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:10 pm

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 10):
be greatful, we got 50% discount om the kids price for being camp counselors. .. so we still had negative income

If I had a kid I would have been lucky to break even. Grown ups didn't get a discount for their kids and it's only until the 2nd and 3rd were enrolled that you saw a 5% and 10% discount.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

tommy1808

Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:08 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 12):
Grown ups didn't get a discount for their kids

wasn't my kids... I started with 16 after going through a one year training. So not on OUR kids price, on the price that had to be paid for kids.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

diverted

Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:21 pm

Grade 9-11 worked part time after school driving a forklift loading trucks with flowers.
Grade 12 did a little construction/roofing
Summer after graduating worked in a hydroponics place driving a forklift loading vegetables
Summer first year of college worked at a yacht club pumping gas, cutting grass, docking boats, and drinking beer with club members (after all the boating had been done for the day)

Yacht club was by far the most entertaining, and the best "scenery"...

Superfly

Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:26 pm

I cut the cheese at Taco Bell the entire spring & summer of 1989.
That was my sophomore year in high school.
Then made melted butter an sold movie tickets at a United Artist movie theater.
Senior year I was a hot shot because I was working at a record store - Sam Goody Records & video.
Bring back the Concorde