Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aloges
Topic Author

Trevor Noah To Become Next Host Of The Daily Show

Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:27 pm

Nice to see a little bit of good news: Comedy Central has found a new host for The Daily Show.

Quote:
COMEDY CENTRAL NAMES TREVOR NOAH AS NEXT HOST OF “THE DAILY SHOW”

Noah joined “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart” in 2014 as a contributor. He made his U.S. television debut in 2012 on “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno” and has also appeared on “Late Show with David Letterman,” becoming the first South African stand-up comedian to appear on either late night show. Born in South Africa to a black South African mother and a white European father, he has successfully become the top comedian in Africa. Noah has hosted numerous television shows including his own late night talk show in his native country, “Tonight with Trevor Noah.”

I've only seen him once on QI, but even that left an impression - a very good one. Fingers crossed that he'll make the show his own and succeed!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

yowza

RE: Trevor Noah To Become Next Host Of The Daily Show

Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:10 pm

I was very surprised by this pick. He's hilarious - I just don't know if the full breadth of his humour will be palatable to a US audience. Let's see!

YOWza

einsteinboricua

Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:23 pm

I only remember him when Stewart introduced him as the new correspondent. He was funny. Not sure if he'll be HA-HA funny.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

LFutia

Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:53 pm

I'm excited! I saw some of his comedy shows on netflix and I enjoyed them!

Leo/ORD
Leo/ORD

CPH-R

Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:01 pm

Pretty cool. I too saw him on QI (where he, hilariously, had both Stephen Fry and Sandi Toksvig fawning over him) and came away with a good impression.

Here's to hoping he makes The Daily Show his own thing, rather than trying to be a black Jon Stewart.

DeltaMD90

Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:08 pm

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 4):
Here's to hoping he makes The Daily Show his own thing, rather than trying to be a black Jon Stewart.

I think with certain commedians, they're in leagues of their own. No one will out-Jon-Stewart Jon Stewart. Maybe Trevor Noah will be funnier than Jon Stewart but I don't think Trevor Noah can be a funnier Jon Stewart than Jon Stewart

Same with Stephen Colbert. I think it would be weird and forced to have a new person act the way he did

TheCommodore

Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:42 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 5):
Maybe Trevor Noah will be funnier than Jon Stewart but I don't think Trevor Noah can be a funnier Jon Stewart than Jon Stewart

Did Jon Stewart write all his own lines, or are there a team of writers behind the man himself ?
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

aloges
Topic Author

Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:50 pm

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 6):
Did Jon Stewart write all his own lines, or are there a team of writers behind the man himself ?

Based on the number of references he makes to his writers, there might be one or two... dozen.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

vikkyvik

Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:26 pm

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 4):

Although that could be funny in its own right....

Definitely writers, but I'm sure he has input. And his delivery makes it, of course.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

DocLightning

Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:45 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 8):
And his delivery makes it, of course.

Honestly, what John Stewart says is not very funny. In fact, most of it is dead serious.

It's the way that he says it that's hilarious.

And I agree, he cannot be replaced, only succeeded. I hope the producers of the show understand that and appreciate that.

That said, there are so many excellent American comedians of every stripe and color. Given that a lot of the Daily Show is about politics in the US, I feel like it would be obvious to have an American comedian host the show. Maybe Kathy Griffin? Paula Poundstone would be another interesting choice.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

vikkyvik

Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:52 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 9):
Maybe Kathy Griffin?

Nothing really against her personally, but I think she would turn off a lot of viewers (no pun intended), even if she was funny.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

LittleFokker

Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:54 am

I feel like it would be obvious to have an American comedian host the show.

Perhaps, but the very British John Oliver got to host the show for 3 months while Stewart was filming "Rosewater," and Oliver parlayed that into his own HBO show (which is fabulous if you haven't seen it). Perhaps having a foreign accent lends credibility to how absurd our political system has gotten. Not to mention that with Trevor, there's a plethora of "African American" jokes waiting to be tapped.

I was on board with Tiny Fey taking over, but I don't know what her level of interest in taking the job was. Trevor Noah just seems like he hasn't been on the show enough for me to understand why he was selected. He was hired back in November, and maybe has like 5 or 6 appearances only. I'm just wondering where they got their sample size on him from. I am not familiar with this QI show others have referenced about Trevor.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

zkojq

Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:39 am

Maybe this explains why Jason Jones left last week.

I've very much enjoyed Trevor Noah's segments so far. I hope the show does well with him as presenter.

Quoting LittleFokker (Reply 11):
He was hired back in November, and maybe has like 5 or 6 appearances only. I'm just wondering where they got their sample size on him from.

Indeed. You would think that they'd have made him do a few more segments first.
First to fly the 787-9

Klaus

Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:12 am

Quoting LittleFokker (Reply 11):
I am not familiar with this QI show others have referenced about Trevor.

This appears to be the episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGeAlO_ZIKQ
He was a guest.

Entertaining and educational, but not necessarily sufficient to judge the outlook of him taking over the Daily Show.

CPH-R

Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:07 pm

That was quick.

It appears that Noah's Twitter timeline dating back 6 years has been scrutinized by the SJW's of the internet, and some of his tweets has been deemed offensive towards women and jews.

sw733

Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:44 pm

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 4):
rather than trying to be a black Jon Stewart.

Well, he'd only be a half-black Jon Stewart.

Maybe Kathy Griffin?

Oh god. I would never, ever, ever, ever watch the show again. Ever. I cannot stand that woman in the slightest. Just hearing her name makes me cringe.

ER757

Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:38 pm

Paula Poundstone would be another interesting choice.

Funny you mention her, I was reading the thread about the Indiana law and thought of one of her greatest lines ever: "Isn't it ironic that the Christian Right is neither?"

Quoting ZKOJQ (Reply 12):
Maybe this explains why Jason Jones left last week.

No - he and his wife Samantha Bee are getting their own show.

Cadet985

Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:10 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 8):
Definitely writers, but I'm sure he has input. And his delivery makes it, of course.

All the American late night talk shows (Fallon, Letterman, Kimmel, etc.) have writers, but the host is usually the head writer.

On Saturday Night Live, the head writer is usually the main "anchor" of "Weekend Update."

Jay Leno used to work 20-hours a day when he hosted the tonight show. I remember an article about him saying that he would be faxed potential joke and sketch ideas by show staff and network people at all hours of the day and night.

Marc

DeltaMD90

Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:46 pm

He had a team, but that's precisely my point. If you took the exact same show (same lines, same jokes, etc) but had someone else say it and act exactly like Jon Stewart, IDK if it would work.

I'm sure his team will be just as funny, but Trevor Noah is gonna have to come up with his own style instead of just emulating someone (probably won't come across as natural.) Could be wrong.

And sadly, I don't think it will be as good. Tough shoes to fill and it'll be hard to top. Even if Trevor Noah is funnier, it will probably be a different kind of funny so it's sad to see Jon Stewart go. It's like losing a dog and getting a new one... even if the new one is great you still miss the old one

seb146

Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:16 am

Maybe Kathy Griffin

She is not political. She loves the gays and we love her but she is does not strike me as the political type.

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 14):
Twitter timeline dating back 6 years has been scrutinized by the SJW's of the internet, and some of his tweets has been deemed offensive towards women and jews.

I could see how they could be offensive, but they were a long time ago. I laughed out loud this morning when I read his tweet about the German car and the Jewish pedestrian.

He has obviously refined his style and is at a point where Daily Show, Comedy Central, and Jon Stewart think he can make it work.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Cadet985

Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:31 am

Any show, when given a different star is going to be different. Be it "The Daily Show," local morning news/talk show, game show (how many of us thought that ONLY Regis could host "Millionaire?"), or other late night comedy program. It's the job of the star and the writers to make that show sink or swim.

Marc