Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

nickh
Topic Author

Return Of The Lincoln Continental

Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:47 am

I ran across this NewsBlurb earlier today and I thought that I would pass it along:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...-11e4-bf0b-f648b95a6488_story.html

And:

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/30/l...t-new-york-official-photos-videos/

And:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Mark_series

Many moons ago -- roughly 27-years ago, my next door neighbor at the time had an immaculate Lincoln Continental Mark-V (5) and he had done an incredible job of restoring it from scratch.
Being a bit of a gear head myself, I remember helping him with a lot of small projects - such as rewiring the dashboard, rebuilding the transmission, re-sleeving the cylinder chambers---(!) etc.
It really was a lot of fun, working on that classic. things were so simple back then -- all that you needed to work on a car were a good set of tools and a lot of elbow grease.
As a benefit of helping my neighbor, he let me borrow the car from time to time - great fun driving that land barge...

The new Continental is not half bad looking - see the Autoblog URL above - I wouldn't mind owning one.* I just hope that they don't stray too far from the 'concept design' when the car goes into production.

Another new car that I am really looking forward to, is the Acura NSX - the prototypes are interesting - but for heavens sake, Honda, Why no V8 or Hybrid options???

Anyway, enjoy the articles - comment if you wish.

A song that is stuck in my head now, since reading the articles, is "Bad, Bad, Leroy Brown", by Jim Croce., because of the lyrics:

"He got a Custom Continental;
and a Eldorado too (sic).
Bad, Bad Leroy Brown;
Baddest man in the whole damn town;
Badder than 'ol King Kong;
Meaner than a junkyard dog."

Great! Now I'll have that song stuck in my mind for the remainder of the evening... (smile).

-Nick
"We all have wings, but some of us don't know why..."

Klaus

RE: Return Of The Lincoln Continental

Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:03 am

The elegance of a raw block of concrete, not unlike the current Rolls Royce.

sulley

Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:09 am

It isn't rear wheel drive and it doesn't have a waterfall grill.

FAIL.
In thrust we trust!

TSS

Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:21 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 1):
The elegance of a raw block of concrete, not unlike the current Rolls Royce.

The exterior is a lot sleeker than the current Rolls Royce and the interior is undeniably nice, but the tail lights are uninspired to say the least and, most importantly, who the heck thought it was a good idea to put a Bentley grille on a Lincoln?

If the production vehicle looks more or less like this otherwise attractive show car, I predict the aftermarket will respond with a chrome overlay for the Bentley grille inspired by Marks III, IV, V, VI, and VII as well as Town Cars from 1977 to 1997 to make the car look like a proper Lincoln mere seconds after the car goes on sale.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

seb146

Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:01 am

Well, of course they want to bring it back. With gas prices under $3 a gallon, why not?

From a selfish point of view, why do I care what the back passengers have? I drive and I usually drive with just me and the brosband. I don't care that there is wi-fi in the car nor do I care that there is USB ports and cup warmers/coolers in back. I loved my PT Cruiser. Getting in and out was a breeze, the back seats came out and made it great for sleeping on road trips. Plus, I could load the car looking like Elizabeth Taylor's weekend cottage. My only complaint was the gas mileage. I want a car company to build a car for me. FOR ME!!! An Aztek style body that can get me from here to Denver on one charge and only take 10 minutes to fully charge anywhere in the world.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

PHLBOS

Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:13 pm

Not to be a skeptic; but I'll believe this car when it actually goes into production.

While it has some potential; offering only an Ecoboost 3.0L V6 IMHO is misguided move. It should offer the Coyote 5.0L V8 as a choice as well.

The production version of this thing better be RWD-based.

I'm still a bit steamed that Lincoln didn't go forward and make a production version of its last Continental from a decade ago (see below-photo). Such would've been a more worthy successor to the now-retired Panther-based Town Car.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1a/2002_Lincoln_Continental_concept_car.jpg/800px-2002_Lincoln_Continental_concept_car.jpg

[Edited 2015-03-31 08:13:53]
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

Flighty

Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:37 pm

Quoting Sulley (Reply 2):
It isn't rear wheel drive and it doesn't have a waterfall grill.

FAIL.

Totally agreed.

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 5):
I'm still a bit steamed that Lincoln didn't go forward and make a production version of its last Continental from a decade ago (see below-photo). Such would've been a more worthy successor to the now-retired Panther-based Town Car.

You and I are in total agreement. It is obvious that the designers knew what to do. There's the proof. But the executives were so stupid that they could not save themselves.

af773atmsp

Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:25 pm

The front looks like a mix of Jaguar, Kia, and Acura (the headlights). Its alright, but I prefer the concept PHLBOS posted.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788,74M
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK,KL,B6
Too many airports to fit in signature.

Polot

Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:58 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 4):
From a selfish point of view, why do I care what the back passengers have? I drive and I usually drive with just me and the brosband.

Because this car was designed with China in mind, where the elite don't like to drive. They want to be driven.

Not to be a skeptic; but I'll believe this car when it actually goes into production.

They have already made it clear that it is going into production. Its just a matter of what is "concept" and what will make it to production. Lincoln has been following Honda's footsteps lately in releasing "concept" cars that are just thinly veiled production cars (re: MKZ, MKC, and MKX concepts). The look is going to stay the same- I'm guessing just different wheels, actual door handles, different headlight lamps, and a toned down interior. Contrast that with Cadillac who like to make phenomenal concepts that never see any hope of production (Sixteen, Cien, Ciel, Elmiraj etc).

The lack of RWD is disappointing, but not unexpected. Ford is not going to try and fight the Germans directly with sporty luxury like Cadillac is attempting to do, but rather focus Lincoln on "traditional" luxury i.e. cushy, quiet, smooth. In that case RWD is not really necessary as most buyers don't know the difference anyways. That may suck but it is what it is. The FWD MKZ from Lincoln outsold the identically priced RWD ATS from Cadillac last year.

[Edited 2015-03-31 14:07:16]

[Edited 2015-03-31 14:13:59]

nickh
Topic Author

Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:12 pm

Quoting af773atmsp (Reply 7):
The lack of RWD is disappointing, but not unexpected

Something to consider - Ford/Lincoln has in the past used FWD for the lower-mid level cars, but they provide AWD* as an option for higher end models.
For example, the "MK" series and if I remember correctly, even the now defunct "LS" series had an All-Wheel-Drive option.

Still, I would have liked to have seen a true RWD drivetrain also, with the *option* for AWD,.

-Nick
*Who does Lincoln/Ford source their current AWD drivetrain from - HALDEX? I doubt that it is an in-house creation.
Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they source it from the Subaru parts bin - why reinvent the wheel, right?
"We all have wings, but some of us don't know why..."

BMI727

Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:32 am

My first thought was that this new Continental looked nice. My second was that of course it does, it's a Flying Spur. Apparently Bentley noticed as well.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

LAX772LR

Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:16 am

Quote:
After more than a decade of toying with alphabetical names like LS and MKS to be more like its foreign rivals, Ford’s 98-year-old Lincoln brand is embracing its heritage.

FINALLY!

Good lord, switching to those letters was *STUPID*. It ruined their brand equity/recognition.

That, and good luck explaining to an old person (i.e. their target demographic) over the phone the difference between MKS or MKX.  
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

N1120A

Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:47 am

You know, the last Continentals were FWD. Junk too, but FWD.

I actually like the MKZ.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

ltbewr

Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:00 am

CAFE and production realities mean FWD and V-6 engines even for a big car like this. It is too bad they can't revive the true 'town car' with RWD and a big V-8. Their is a need for a big, US/Canadian made car for the taxi and 'black car' service industries. Maybe as a hybrid to hold up fuel mileage ?

Superfly

Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:03 am

Quoting TSS (Reply 3):
who the heck thought it was a good idea to put a Bentley grille on a Lincoln?

Gene Bordinat.

Quoting TSS (Reply 3):
I predict the aftermarket will respond with a chrome overlay for the Bentley grille inspired by Marks III, IV, V, VI, and VII as well as Town Cars from 1977 to 1997 to make the car look like a proper Lincoln mere seconds after the car goes on sale.

Hopefully Ford does that from the factory before it goes on sale.

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 13):
CAFE and production realities mean FWD and V-6 engines even for a big car like this. It is too bad they can't revive the true 'town car' with RWD and a big V-8.

So how is Chrysler, Mercedes, BMW, Lexus and Audi able to sale rear-drive V-8 sedans without CAFE penalties?

Quoting Polot (Reply 8):
Because this car was designed with China in mind, where the elite don't like to drive. They want to be driven.

Same here in Bangkok.
Executive level businessmen an other elites don't mind the traffic Bangkok is notorious for. Drivers are very cheap to employ and they can get a lot of work done while sitting in traffic. Plus you avoid getting wet while it's raining an you don't show up to meetings sweating due to the heat & humidity. I've rode with my boss a few times in his car to meetings that were only 5 kilometers 2 hours in advance of the scheduled meeting.
The adage 'never let them see you sweat' still holds true here in the Far East.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 12):
You know, the last Continentals were FWD. Junk too, but FWD.

So true. I really hated that Ford Taurus-based Continental. That V6 Vulcan engine was garbage. The final years had the 4.6 V8 but it was still a guised up Taurus.
One thing in this universe I'll never understand is why the Ford Taurus was so popular. I love Fords but not that one!
Dressing it up as a Mercury Sable and Lincoln Continental didn't make me like it any more.

Amen to that!
Bring back the Concorde

sccutler

Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:02 pm

..was beginning to worry; a Lincoln thread without Superfly is just so...wrong. Equilibrium, restored.

---

Ford needs to build this, and make it available with a V8.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

PHLBOS

Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:10 pm

Quoting nickh (Reply 9):
Something to consider - Ford/Lincoln has in the past used FWD for the lower-mid level cars, but they provide AWD* as an option for higher end models.
For example, the "MK" series and if I remember correctly, even the now defunct "LS" series had

True, but unlike the MK series vehicles (whose AWD models are FWD-based), the LS was RWD-based vehicle. Meaning that when an AWD LS model was in 2WD mode; it behaves like a RWD vehicle.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 12):
You know, the last Continentals were FWD

True, but when most people think classic Continentals; they think of the full-size RWD models that later would later (from '81 onward) become known as simply Town Cars. Just like when most people think "Chargers"; they're not thinking about the rebadged FWD Omni 024s that existed during the 80s.

Many Lincoln purists wouldn't necessarily consider the mid-size Continentals (RWD Fox models from '82 to '87/FWD Taurus-based models from '88 to '02) in the same league as the older full-size Continentals.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 14):
One thing in this universe I'll never understand is why the Ford Taurus was so popular.

The Taurus, especially the first-generation models, attracted many buyers that previously wouldn't consider a Ford product. Another thing to keep in mind was that back then, the mid-size car market had a much higher market share and competition (from import brands) was increasing. At the time, Ford needed something that would stand out in the market moreso than its Fox-based LTD/Marquis offerings. For better/for worse, they succeeded with the Taurus.

With regards to why the FWD Taurus-based Continental came into being in the first place: it was likely developed as a (God forbid) possible successor to the Town Car. Had elections results (not just Presidential ones) been different and higher CAFE mandates took place back then (or had gas prices soared again); Ford wanted to have a more CAFE-complaint vehicle on hand to take over.

While such didn't (thankfully) happen; the prep for FWD Continental production was already well into the pipeline and Lincoln offered it as a successor to the Fox-based mid-size Continental instead and the rest is history.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

casinterest

Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:47 pm

Quoting Polot (Reply 8):

Will we even see this car in the US? I just don't see the market for it.
Most older folks are not big car buyers these days. Mid size sedan's rule the market for older generations.
Is the market for luxury limo services in the US big enough to support such a car anymore?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

Aesma

Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:20 pm

It is too bad they can't revive the true 'town car' with RWD and a big V-8. Their is a need for a big, US/Canadian made car for the taxi and 'black car' service industries. Maybe as a hybrid to hold up fuel mileage ?

Why do you need RWD and a V8 if you're not going to drive it ? Isn't it better to have more space on the floor in the back instead ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

slider

Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:00 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 17):
I just don't see the market for it.

I think you might have answered your own question in a way--fleet car, limo services, etc. All those cars it would seem are older. Not a lot of viable replacements for a vehicle that size.

Man, Lincoln is killing it these days. Great cars, sharp looking, loaded with amenities and bells and whistles. Quite impressive to see some cache return to this once proud brand.

luckyone

Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:06 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 19):
Man, Lincoln is killing it these days. Great cars, sharp looking, loaded with amenities and bells and whistles. Quite impressive to see some cache return to this once proud brand.

Except I can buy a Ford with all the same bells and whistles for thousands less. Because that's all a Lincoln is these days, an extra helping of chrome and badge on a Ford.

sccutler

Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:59 pm

Quoting luckyone (Reply 20):

Except I can buy a Ford with all the same bells and whistles for thousands less. Because that's all a Lincoln is these days, an extra helping of chrome and badge on a Ford.

Most Lexus cars are just gussied-up Toyotas. Audis are largely up-marketed VWs. That's what merchandising is all about.

luckyone

Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:12 pm

Quoting sccutler (Reply 21):
Most Lexus cars are just gussied-up Toyotas. Audis are largely up-marketed VWs. That's what merchandising is all about.

Indeed, and when I went looking for a car I kept that in mind.. Aside from the fact that both Lexus and Toyotas of late look like they were designed by somebody on an acid trip, I avoided them because they were basically selling me the same (boring) car at twice the price, though at least they went to the trouble of changing the sheetmetal, which is apparent on Lincolns. Audis, however, largely ride on their own platforms and with a few exceptions also have powertrain options not present on their Volkswagen cousins. Ford vs. Lincoln...notsomuch. The engines are the same with a slightly different output based on how they tuned it.

PHLBOS

Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:07 pm

Quoting luckyone (Reply 20):

In most instances (though not all), dealerships that sell new Toyotas don't sell new Lexus' at the same location. To the best of my knowledge, new Audis aren't usually sold under the same roof as new VWs.

In contrast, just about every Ford dealership sells Lincolns as well under the same roof which resulted in 100% product overlap at the same dealership (i.e internal competition). Back when Mercury was still around (& Lincolns were sold alongside them), there was a lot less product overlap being sold at one dealership.

Additionally, all full-size RWD Lincoln cars right up to the final Panther-based Town Car (from 2011) were always always always larger than its full-size Ford & Mercury counterparts. The rationale being, if one is paying more for the Lincoln model; they're getting a larger car as well.

The so-called full-size MKS not only violated (IMHO) that practice; it actually had less interior room and trunk space than its Taurus (& Sable) siblings. Double-fail IMHO (and I mentioned such when it first rolled-out). The Lincoln(-Mercury) dealerships merging with the Ford dealerships (clearly a bean-counter move) added more insult to injury to the MKS.

It is my understanding that this new 2017 Continental will not have a Ford sibling.

[Edited 2015-04-01 13:08:23]

WarRI1

Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:17 pm

If it gives an American a job, I like it. I am beyond needing a job, but my family is not. My two grandsons are up and coming into the job market.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

sccutler

Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:27 am

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 23):
In contrast, just about every Ford dealership sells Lincolns as well under the same roof which resulted in 100% product overlap at the same dealership (i.e internal competition). Back when Mercury was still around (& Lincolns were sold alongside them), there was a lot less product overlap being sold at one dealership.

Man, when they announced the termination of the Mercury brand (also a big mistake, in my always-keenly-accurate view), I was convinced it was just a matter of time for Lincoln; the products that followed did not inspire confidence in an alternate outcome.

If this new car is legit, perhaps Ford can start applying some standards to the line again, including stepping up th edealership experience. Cadillac has it all over Lincoln on this.

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 24):

If it gives an American a job, I like it. I am beyond needing a job, but my family is not. My two grandsons are up and coming into the job market.

Have hope, friend. Manufacturing is advancing modestly, and for the first time in a long time, the option of skilled trades as an alternative to college is being honorably recognized. Many law grads are vainly looking for work, while the electrical apprentice classes are full of indentured apprentices, and the graduates are all well-employed. I was talking with a Millwrights' Council guy recently, said the bench is bare, which is a good thing on a lot of levels

WarRI1

Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:52 am

Quoting sccutler (Reply 25):
Have hope, friend. Manufacturing is advancing modestly, and for the first time in a long time, the option of skilled trades as an alternative to college is being honorably recognized. Many law grads are vainly looking for work, while the electrical apprentice classes are full of indentured apprentices, and the graduates are all well-employed. I was talking with a Millwrights' Council guy recently, said the bench is bare, which is a good thing on a lot of levels

Amen brother! I knew a few of those Millwright guys in my younger days. I am glad they still exist here. If they are multiplying job wise, thing's must be looking up. Skilled trades coming back would be wonderful to a guy who made his living doing such work along with his whole family and in-laws and friends. Blue collar, and middle class did alright for us all.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Aesma

Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:07 am

I think you might have answered your own question in a way--fleet car, limo services, etc. All those cars it would seem are older. Not a lot of viable replacements for a vehicle that size.

Can it be worth it to build a car for only that market ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Flighty

Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:29 pm

Yes, but it is a matter of skill. Ford has never recently demonstrated it has that skill. Chrysler does - check out the Grand Cherokee. It fulfills a traditional role and sells gazillions. It's not "reinvented" as a 3 cylinder sports hatchback, it's just a really really good Grand Cherokee.

Quoting Aesma (Reply 27):

Lincoln did huge business selling hundreds of thousands of large cars per year. America is a huge country. Many people desire roomy luxury cars. I think Lincoln has a larger selling potential than BMW or Lexus. It's just SO poorly managed.

Mostly it is about styling. Cars are fashion items, just like fancy boots or shoes. You make it look right, get the quality right and tie into the brand imagery. And you sell millions. I don't see anything today that makes me think Cadillac or Lincoln when I look at their products. It does not even register. BMWs at least look like BMWs, so if I have $60,000 at least I get something people will recognize.

DIRECTFLT

Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:29 am

Commander Cody & His Lost Planet Airmen

Charlie Ryan's Hot Rod Lincoln

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R7l7nDuj1o

[Edited 2015-04-04 01:32:35]
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Superfly

Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:58 am

Would be nice if this new Continental had a long, linear, well defined beltline/finder caps like the Gene Bordinat era.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj96/Rush8track/ContinentalMagazine_1964c_zpskv60ha6m.jpg
Bring back the Concorde

na

Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:01 pm

I dont like it. The new Caddy looks better.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 31):
Would be nice if this new Continental had a long, linear, well defined beltline/finder caps like the Gene Bordinat era.

Much nicer than the new Lincoln indeed.

DIRECTFLT

Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:22 pm

The automobile of Dead Presidents (RIP JFK)...

Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

N1120A

Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:56 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 14):
So true. I really hated that Ford Taurus-based Continental.

I generally hated the Taurus.

CAFE and production realities mean FWD and V-6 engines even for a big car like this.

Modern V6s are hardly something to sniff at.

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 16):
Many Lincoln purists wouldn't necessarily consider the mid-size Continentals (RWD Fox models from '82 to '87/FWD Taurus-based models from '88 to '02) in the same league as the older full-size Continentals.

That is a very long history to ignore.

Quoting Aesma (Reply 18):
Why do you need RWD and a V8 if you're not going to drive it ? Isn't it better to have more space on the floor in the back instead ?

RWD is much nicer to drive.

, Lincoln is killing it these days. Great cars, sharp looking, loaded with amenities and bells and whistles. Quite impressive to see some cache return to this once proud brand.

Agreed. My jaw dropped at the L.A. Auto Show when I saw the MKZ.

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 24):

Good chance this gives Canadians jobs.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

slider

Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:17 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 27):

I don't know. That's the $64,000 question, as it were.

Fleet programs can launch and sustain a vehicle program I'd think. A quick Google search indicates that the limousine industry is about 126,000 vehicles. Of those, 46k are sedans.

Assuming you couldn't capture that entire market, that seems like an anemic number to justify a model run. Maybe someone more familiar with the production dynamics could chime in here.

PHLBOS

Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:52 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 34):
Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 16):

That is a very long history to ignore.

So. Not every Pontiac GTO enthusiast was jumping for joy when the Holden-based GTO rolled out about a decade ago. And the last real GTO was made when... in the 1970s.

Quoting Slider (Reply 35):
Fleet programs can launch and sustain a vehicle program I'd think. A quick Google search indicates that the limousine industry is about 126,000 vehicles. Of those, 46k are sedans.

Assuming you couldn't capture that entire market, that seems like an anemic number to justify a model run. Maybe someone more familiar with the production dynamics could chime in here.

Most cars are not brought into production just for fleet purposes. The original mission of the Panther-platformed based Fords, Mercurys & Lincolns was indeed geared towards the retail market.

To the best of my knowledge, the only mass-produced vehicle that was launched as a fleet-only vehicle in the U.S. market from the get-go was the Holden-based Caprice sedan and that turned out to be a sales disaster even for its intended (police) market. No surprise there.

I would hope that Lincoln is intending to offer this new Continental vehicle be a retail as well as a fleet vehicle. To do just the latter would be a complete waste.

Total sales of the Panther-based Town Cars during the 90s were at least 84,000 vehicles per year. From 2000-2005, at least 47,000 Town Cars were produced. From 2006-2011, production would slide to just over 9000 for its final year in the US market. 2012 export-only models totalled just over 1000.

747400sp

Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:03 am

I glad Lincoln is get back in the luxury car business, but it would have been better to call the new car, the Town Car.