Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DLFREEBIRD
Topic Author

Who Is The Greater Imminent Threat...

Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:20 am

some times you just can't make this stuff up.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...publicans-obama-threat-putin-assad

Republicans believe that President Obama poses a greater imminent threat to the United States than Russian President Vladimir Putin or Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Monday.

When asked which individuals, countries, and organizations posed an imminent threat to the U.S., 34 percent of Republicans said that Obama was an imminent threat, while just 25 percent said Putin was an imminent threat and 23 percent said Assad was an imminent threat.

Republicans also said they saw Democrats as a threat. Twenty-seven percent of Republicans said that the Democratic party was a an imminent threat to the U.S., and 22 percent of Democrats said they felt the Republican party was an imminent threat to the U.S.

Reuters/Ipsos surveyed 2,809 Americans, including 1,083 Democrats and 1,059 Republicans, online March 16-24 with a margin of error plus or minus 2.1 percentage points.

Airstud

RE: Who Is The Greater Imminent Threat...

Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:28 am

The phrase "imminent threat" hasn't been defined in this discussion.
Pancakes are delicious.

photopilot

Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:37 am

Ahhhh.... getting ready for the US Civil War, Part II.

From the outside, we see the USA becoming more and more polarized into two camps with no middle ground left. There's no apparent statesmanship with strong leaders brokering a working compromise for the best of the country. It's two sides digging their heels in and being completely obstinate.

That sadly makes most politicians from BOTH sides the imminent threat.

Max Q

Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:32 am

Quoting DLFREEBIRD (Thread starter):

Republicans believe that President Obama poses a greater imminent threat to the United States than Russian President Vladimir Putin or Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Monday.

When asked which individuals, countries, and organizations posed an imminent threat to the U.S., 34 percent of Republicans said that Obama was an imminent threat, while just 25 percent said Putin was an imminent threat and 23 percent said Assad was an imminent threat.

Lunatics, god help us if the right get back in power next election. This bunch of extremists are the biggest danger to the security of this country ever, actively doing everything they can to undermine and sabotage our president.

Their actions are nothing less than treasonous.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

Kiwirob

Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:55 am

Quoting DLFREEBIRD (Thread starter):
23 percent said Assad was an imminent threat.

I fail to see how Assad could be a threat to anyone apart from those who don't like him in Syria.

Kekka

Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:44 am

In North America? The Mexican Drug Cartels without a doubt. I wouldn't speculate though, it's the one you don't see that gets you.

pvjin

Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:50 am

Why is Bashar Al Assad even part of that comparison? He's the only real force that can stop Syria from falling under control of ISIS, and unlike ISIS he's not a religious nutjob nor is he interested in committing terror attacks in the west.

I wonder when those fools will realize that secular dictators should be our best friends in the Middle East. It's either them or Islamic terrorists, and no, western style democracy isn't a an option.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

Aesma

Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:53 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 4):
I fail to see how Assad could be a threat to anyone apart from those who don't like him in Syria.

He's the one who started ISIS.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

pvjin

Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:54 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 7):
He's the one who started ISIS.

Nope, ISIS originates from Iraqi Al Qaeda which gained power as a result of US invasion of Iraq. Assad played no part whatsoever in rise of ISIS, George W Bush and perhaps the present day Iraqi government did.

Had Assad stepped down we would still have ISIS in Syria, just like ISIS related groups have gained power in Libya. These countries need strong dictators who keep all religious nutjobs in order, any "democratic" reforms lead to utter chaos when illiterates start fighting against each other for believing differently.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

Boeing717200

Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:10 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 8):

They formed in 1999, but don't let facts get in the way or anything.
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

pvjin

Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:18 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 9):

Yes, formed in 1999 and remained very irrelevant under strong iron fist of Saddam. Then United States came and freed those poor Al Qaeda terrorists from Saddam's rule, allowing them to grow.

DeltaMD90

Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:47 am

Hmm, well, I agree actually. I don't see Putin as a threat to the US (maybe a threat to other countries around it) and Assad? No way. So I guess the only guy that could do the most damage (and the most good) is the President.

Of course a lot of people are just blasting the President, but I think they're technically right, ironically

seb146

Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:00 am

Quoting pvjin (Reply 6):
Why is Bashar Al Assad even part of that comparison?

Because he is being used by Fox as a boogy man.

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 11):
Of course a lot of people are just blasting the President, but I think they're technically right, ironically

Do anti science people really know anything technical? LOL
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

StarAC17

Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:41 pm

Quoting Max Q (Reply 3):
Lunatics, god help us if the right get back in power next election. This bunch of extremists are the biggest danger to the security of this country ever, actively doing everything they can to undermine and sabotage our president.

The GOP is actually more dangerous out of power than in it (not saying that they should be in power) but they do have the attitude since Clinton was elected to act like the democratic party is not deserving of the presidency and will look for every little thing to bring the party down.

I understand the ideological differences between both parties but the constant threat of government shutdowns, writing to another country that any negotiation done by the president will simply made null and void by congress. This not only makes the US a laughingstock to other major countries and inhibits the US to negotiate in good faith with China and Russia. Futhermore Obama gets attacked for things that every president does such as playing golf or going on vacation.

Quoting pvjin (Reply 10):
Yes, formed in 1999 and remained very irrelevant under strong iron fist of Saddam. Then United States came and freed those poor Al Qaeda terrorists from Saddam's rule, allowing them to grow.

Saddam kept 3 seperate counties together into one Iraq which had no business being one nation. The war in Iraq likely accelerated this eventual insugency but as long as the US takes a side in the Middle east its going to piss someone off.

What is going on in the Middle east needs to happen and we have to let them figure it out.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

slider

Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:50 pm

Quoting Max Q (Reply 3):
Their actions are nothing less than treasonous.

I could make a compelling case that this POTUS has acted in a very treasonous manner as well.

So let's keep tearing each other's hearts out about it instead. That's what the puppet masters want, after all. Bread and circuses, while the sheep bleat on, blindly soaking in whatever faux-crises du jour is concocted, while bathing in the toxic pop culture.

Meanwhile, our Republic is in fact being destroyed from within. By a government orchestrated by BOTH parties, awash in money and power and international interests.

But yeah, don't stop the rhetoric....

It's what they want.

SoJo

Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:31 pm

Why are some yanks so sensitive. Jeez. Get a life and don't listen to everything you are told. That's why we Brits don't believe everything we read. We trust our Government even less
RAF Abingdon 1967. I met Beverley from Blackburn. Fantastic!

LAX772LR

Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:00 am

Quoting SoJo (Reply 15):
Why are some yanks so sensitive. Jeez. Get a life and don't listen to everything you are told. That's why we Brits don't believe everything we read. We trust our Government even less

The demonstrable ignorance in your opening sentence can be overlooked, as many foreigners are stupid enough to believe/label all USAmericans as "yankees"...

...but if you *actually* think that a defining characteristic of this country's citizenry is trust in government, then you've shown ignorance that's beyond any scale of measure.  
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

slider

Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:42 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 16):
...but if you *actually* think that a defining characteristic of this country's citizenry is trust in government, then you've shown ignorance that's beyond any scale of measure.

Exactly!

Ken777

Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:36 pm

I agree actually. I don't see Putin as a threat to the US

Not in the short term, but over the longer term the guy could become a real threat. Small successes early on could make him bolder and far more dangerous.

So I guess the only guy that could do the most damage (and the most good) is the President.

Well, you could look at W and the messes he got us into, but I believe that the driving force in his early days was Cheney (who was acting like the CEO) and Rummy over at the DoD. They worked hard to get is into an unnecessary war that we will be paying for over the next 60 - 70 years.

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 13):
The GOP is actually more dangerous out of power than in it (not saying that they should be in power) but they do have the attitude since Clinton was elected to act like the democratic party is not deserving of the presidency and will look for every little thing to bring the party down.

The GOP dies believable that it own the White House and recently has gone nuts when they lost it. First it was that Hillbilly from Arkansas who beat a genuine Blue Blood and then, OMG, here comes this black guy and slams the GOP in the most embarrassing manner.

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 13):
Futhermore Obama gets attacked for things that every president does such as playing golf or going on vacation.

Well, he does play golf better than Ford. Before driving Ford would yell "Four", designating the number of potential victims. Bush spent more days on vacation than Obama and Cheney demonstrated why Guns in America is a dangerous thing to innocent people.

Quoting Slider (Reply 14):
Meanwhile, our Republic is in fact being destroyed from within. By a government orchestrated by BOTH parties, awash in money and power and international interests.

Money has bought politicians for generations, but it has been more intense in the last 20 or so years. The cash poured into lobbyists and the political campaigns has resulted in the Financial sector running this country to a stunning degree. Politicians might as well have a "For Sale" button on their lat lapel instead of the American Flag.

many foreigners are stupid enough to believe/label all USAmericans as "yankees"...

We also have southern rednecks, holy rollin conservatives, illegal migrants and the good folks on the West Coast who love to surf and design computers. So I guess it isn't fair to stereotype the good folks in this country.  

DDR

Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:00 pm

Quoting SoJo (Reply 15):

Maybe because some Americans view the term "Yanks" as offensive. There are so many anti-American comments on this site that it has become a bore.

Aesma

Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:02 pm

And nobody heard of them then.

Now what Bashar did is free all the crazy jihadists from his jails to then justify an all out war against his people. Those crazies soon joined ISIS, and here we are.

Well plenty of US citizens yell a lot about their government, but you never see them doing anything about it. Elections happen at the same time every two years, no government ever falls (well, except Nixon), nothing changes. Large scale protests are unheard of.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

LAX772LR

Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:57 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 20):
Well plenty of US citizens yell a lot about their government, but you never see them doing anything about it. Elections happen at the same time every two years, no government ever falls (well, except Nixon), nothing changes. Large scale protests are unheard of.

You seem to be confusing apathy with trust.

I WILL grant you that a lot of Americans remove themselves from the political process, as they feel that they'll get screwed no matter who/what they vote for. There is indeed that, from what I can observe.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

diverted

Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:13 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 20):

Welcome to "democracy" where you can have a choice between cholera and malaria, but you best be glad you had a choice.

I don't get this whole discredit your opponent rather than trying to win by some virtue of your own, ie, an ability to understand that a massively escalating federal debt is something to be worried about. No, they're too busy comparing your president to Assad.

I never did quite understand why there seems to never be any will for your political parties to work together, ever. It's always us vs. them, and you need to pick a side, because the other side is probably terrorists. Then start chanting USA USA USA FREEDOM while your government spies on you.

The greater imminent danger? Probably Wall St.

Boeing717200

Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:20 pm

Quoting SoJo (Reply 15):

The demonstrable ignorance in your opening sentence can be overlooked, as many foreigners are stupid enough to believe/label all USAmericans as "yankees"...

Well covered LAX.

I belief this poor lost Red Coat has a history deficit of sorts.   
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!