YVRLTN
Topic Author

NHL Playoff Thread

Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:28 pm

Its that time of year again - and a couple of nice surprising omissions 

Nice representation from Canada and I have to say Im very happy of the Canucks performance this season!

What are your predictions?

St Louis vs Minnesota
Nashville vs Chicago
Anaheim vs Winnipeg
Vancouver vs Calgary
Montreal vs Ottawa
Tampa Bay vs Detroit
New York vs Pittsburgh
Washington vs Islanders

There are some tough ones here, Im going for St Louis, Chicago, Anaheim, Vancouver, Montreal, Tampa, Rangers & Washington.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

LittleFokker

RE: NHL Playoff Thread

Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:46 pm

Quoting YVRLTN (Thread starter):
St Louis vs Minnesota
Nashville vs Chicago
Anaheim vs Winnipeg
Vancouver vs Calgary

There's no correlation between final point totals and playoff seeding in the west. How did these matchups come to be? Random drawing?

Additionally,

Washington vs Islanders

Why isn't NYI the home team, since the two had the same amount of points, and the Islanders had more wins?

Finally, is the NHL still repairing highest remaining seed to lowest remaining seed for round 2 or did they switch to a bracket format?
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

WestJet747

Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:41 pm

I'm terrible at predicting playoff match-ups, so I'll just say...GO HABS GO!!!

Quoting LittleFokker (Reply 1):
There's no correlation between final point totals and playoff seeding in the west. How did these matchups come to be? Random drawing?

It's now done by divisions, not conferences.

Why isn't NYI the home team, since the two had the same amount of points, and the Islanders had more wins?

Scroll down to the 'Tie-Breaking Procedure' section: http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm

Finally, is the NHL still repairing highest remaining seed to lowest remaining seed for round 2 or did they switch to a bracket format?

Switched to a bracket format.
Flying refined.

910A

Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:57 pm

Here is the tie breaker
2. The greater number of games won, excluding games won in the Shootout (NEW for 2010-11). This figure is reflected in the ROW column.
3. The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs.

In this case head to head is the first tie-breaker which the Caps won.

Blues
Nashville vs. Chicago - tossup
Ducks
Canucks
Habs
Tampa
Rangers
Caps

[Edited 2015-04-12 17:02:27]

runningonempty

Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:00 am

Go Islanders! They have it this year. YES YES YES!

St Louis vs Minnesota
Nashville vs Chicago
Anaheim vs Winnipeg
Vancouver vs Calgary
Montreal vs Ottawa
Tampa Bay vs Detroit
New York vs Pittsburgh
Washington vs Islanders

Wild
Nashville (I'll call the underdog, but it's close)
Ducks
Vancouver
Ottawa (again really close)
Rags
Islanders (cause I happen to be a fan :P )

LittleFokker

Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:23 am

Quoting 910A (Reply 3):
Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 2):

Thanks for the explanation on an uber-convoluted format.

I really don't know who will win, nor do I care. I should be able to watch the first couple weeks of the playoffs, so I hope to see some good games, and maybe a few double/triple/5OT overtime games.

910A

Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:38 pm

What to see excitement, attend a Stanley Cup playoff game in person that goes into overtime..It's the best excitement in sports, bar none.

jetwet1

Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:58 am

Blues
Hawks
Jets
Flames
Senators
Wings
Rangers
Capitols

BTW

I really don't like this new format for the play offs.

GrahamHill

Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:25 pm

St Louis vs Minnesota: Blues in 6
Nashville vs Chicago: Hawks in 7
Anaheim vs Winnipeg: Ducks in 5
Vancouver vs Calgary: Flames in 7
Montreal vs Ottawa: Habs in 7
Tampa Bay vs Detroit: Bolts in 6
New York vs Pittsburgh: NYR in 5
Washington vs Islanders: Caps in 6

It's a tough road for my Habs. They'll play teams they couldn't beat this year (Ottawa won the season series 3-1, and Tampa won the series 5-0...). I believe we can get past Ottawa, but it will be extremely difficult against Tampa. If Carey Price isn't keeping his high standards, we're screwed.
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

Dano1977

Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:44 pm

New York vs Pittsburgh: Pitts in 5
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.

slider

Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:44 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 8):
St Louis vs Minnesota: Blues in 6
Nashville vs Chicago: Hawks in 7
Anaheim vs Winnipeg: Ducks in 5
Vancouver vs Calgary: Flames in 7
Montreal vs Ottawa: Habs in 7
Tampa Bay vs Detroit: Bolts in 6
New York vs Pittsburgh: NYR in 5
Washington vs Islanders: Caps in 6

Hard to argue with most of those, but I think there's SO much parity across the whole NHL right now that there really isn't a prohibitive favorite this year.

I could see Winnipeg upsetting Ducks, and I think Ottawa is so hot right now that if they carry that into the playoffs, the Habs could be in trouble too. This brings me to the golden rule for NHL playoffs....goaltending. Montreal has Price and that's a big advantage.

And YVR has a dilemma with Miller or Lack; personally, I thought Miller was done after STL last season.

Similarly, Elliot or Allen for the Blues put them into a quandary--Allen's arguably better, but lacks the playoff experience of Elliot.

So many good matchups this year and it's awesome to see Canadian teams well represented this year.

ER757

Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:53 pm

There are some tough ones here, Im going for St Louis, Chicago, Anaheim, Vancouver, Montreal, Tampa, Rangers & Washington.

I'll agree with those picks

Quoting 910A (Reply 6):
What to see excitement, attend a Stanley Cup playoff game in person that goes into overtime..It's the best excitement in sports, bar none.

Yeah, no doubt. I only occasionally watch the regular season, but love the playoffs - moreso in hockey than any other sport, the game is just different in the playoffs. And yes, sudden death OT is edge of your seat action for the duration, whether it be 20 seconds or three extra periods.

garnetpalmetto

Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:02 pm

Playoffs? What are those? Do you mean the draft lottery?

Signed,
A Carolina Hurricanes fan
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

slider

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:00 pm

Quoting garnetpalmetto (Reply 12):
Playoffs? What are those? Do you mean the draft lottery?

Signed,
A Carolina Hurricanes fan

Please, get in line behind me.

Signed, the Buffalo Sabres fans

GrahamHill

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:19 pm

The Bruins just fired Chiarelli. Bad move, if you ask me. He was a good GM and the organization is just overreacting to the non-qualification to the playoffs. I think firing Julien, who came to the end of a cycle with the team, would have been enough.

Quoting Slider (Reply 10):
I could see Winnipeg upsetting Ducks, and I think Ottawa is so hot right now that if they carry that into the playoffs, the Habs could be in trouble too. This brings me to the golden rule for NHL playoffs....goaltending. Montreal has Price and that's a big advantage.

There will be a surprise, as always. I just don't know where. We might even see a sweep, but it's hard to tell who can do one. As you said, there is a lot of parity across the teams right now and it's tough for predictions.

Quoting Slider (Reply 10):
So many good matchups this year and it's awesome to see Canadian teams well represented this year.

Yes, 5 out of 7. It changes from last year, with just the Habs qualifying.

Quoting Slider (Reply 13):
the Buffalo Sabres fans

You are likely going to get McDavid. You should be happy  

[Edited 2015-04-15 09:04:05]

slider

Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:59 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 14):

Oh, I'm not a Sabres fan, I was just trying to be funny. But they should end up with McDavid or Eichen, either way, they'd land a top caliber young Center.

WestJet747

Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:22 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 14):

I never quite understood this line of thinking. I reside in Leaf country, and during the past few weeks of the season I listened to Leaf fans' incessant banter over their chances of finishing in last place and being so much closer to McDavid...

...but the last place team only has a 20% chance of getting the first overall pick. As the last place team, 4 out of 5 draft lotteries you are not getting the top pick. Those really aren't great odds.

Overall I think my disdain for having a bottom-of-the-barrel team would override my excitement of having an additional 6.5% in the odds of getting a pick.

Maybe I'm just too cynical  
Flying refined.

slider

Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:47 pm

Well, the Blackhawks must have a horseshoe in their hockey bag, pulling out the W in double OT in Game 1. Dammit Predators, get your shit together! Can't collapse a 3-0 lead like that.

GrahamHill

Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:52 pm

What do you think of PK's penalty for slashing yesterday? 5 minute major + a game misconduct. I understand the 5 minutes, but a game misconduct? Wasn't this a bit too harsh?

And what to say about Cameron's comments after the game: "You either suspend [Subban], or one of their best players gets slashed, and they give us 5". Seriously? This is coming from an NHL coach? Retaliation, threats?

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 16):
ut the last place team only has a 20% chance of getting the first overall pick. As the last place team, 4 out of 5 draft lotteries you are not getting the top pick. Those really aren't great odds.

We'll see! If they don't get McDavid, they can get Eichel, who isn't bad either  

GrahamHill

Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:52 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 18):
What do you think of PK's penalty for slashing yesterday? 5 minute major + a game misconduct. I understand the 5 minutes, but a game misconduct? Wasn't this a bit too harsh?

Just read that Stone has a fractured wrist. So ok, penalty was fair.

us330

Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:34 pm

This is a day late--but my pick for the conference finals are St Louis v. Winnipeg and Rangers v. Tampa.
St Louis over Tampa for the Stanley Cup.

VHVXB

Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:48 am

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 8):
It's a tough road for my Habs. They'll play teams they couldn't beat this year (Ottawa won the season series 3-1, and Tampa won the series 5-0...). I believe we can get past Ottawa, but it will be extremely difficult against Tampa.

The new faces did well yesterday. I thought they would've struggle with Pacioretty out.

GrahamHill

Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:38 pm

Quoting us330 (Reply 20):
St Louis v. Winnipeg and Rangers v. Tampa.
St Louis over Tampa for the Stanley Cup.

I predicted Rangers v. Tampa in the Eastern finals too, but I think NYR will go through to the Stanley Cup finals. Tampa is a great team this year and they're tough to play, but I think NYR has more experience overall and, at this stage of the competition, it's a big factor to take into consideration. Just my    !

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 21):

The new faces did well yesterday. I thought they would've struggle with Pacioretty out.

Yes, it surprised everybody. The 4th line did the best job. Let's hope they keep going!

WestJet747

Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:37 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 19):
Just read that Stone has a fractured wrist. So ok, penalty was fair.

It was a minor microfracture. Athletes get them all the time from much lesser impacts. If it was anything serious he wouldn't have been back on the ice for Game 2.

I'm not shedding any tears for Glass Wrists Stone.

And what to say about Cameron's comments after the game: "You either suspend [Subban], or one of their best players gets slashed, and they give us 5". Seriously? This is coming from an NHL coach? Retaliation, threats?

The league is handling Ottawa with kid gloves because Reeds died only a day earlier. If it wasn't for a recent death in their organization, Campbell would have fined Cameron in a heartbeat for his extreme commentary.
Flying refined.

jetwet1

Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:25 pm

"You either suspend [Subban], or one of their best players gets slashed, and they give us 5". Seriously? This is coming from an NHL coach? Retaliation, threats?

Why not ? In instances like this, I go back to the Kris Draper/Claude Lemieux incident, I am in no way saying that Subban is a dirty POS like Lemieux btw, but there comes a point where a team has to make a stand, the Wings did it with the Avs, it took them a year to finally get Lemieux isolated and McCarty didn't hesitate, as a hockey fan, you knew it was coming, Lemieux had crossed the line one to many times.

The Wings players had said it was going to happen and frankly, is a $10,000 fine worth it to have a star player wondering when they are going to get their butts kicked....I would say so.

I'm actually not a big fan of fighting in hockey, for me it's the amazing skills these guys show in every game.

Anyways, back to the original topic, could the Jets please wake up and knock out the Ducks.

WestJet747

Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:56 pm

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 24):
Why not ?

Because he was talking about injuring someone who wasn't Subban.

I'm actually not a big fan of fighting in hockey

But you're OK with cheap shots?
Flying refined.

GrahamHill

Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:22 pm

Well, Habs lead the series 3-0. Honestly, I thought this would go in 7, but I doubt Ottawa can win 3 before the Habs can win their 4th. Anderson has been stellar again yesterday (like he was two years ago), and yet he gives the match away on a shot he should have stopped.

Dale Weise, incredible. He's the first Hab since Eric Desjardins in 1993 to equalize with less than 6 minutes to go and score the OT winner. That's also two playoffs GWGs for him.

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 23):
If it was anything serious he wouldn't have been back on the ice for Game 2.

And he even had two assists!

Why not ? In instances like this, I go back to the Kris Draper/Claude Lemieux incident, I am in no way saying that Subban is a dirty POS like Lemieux btw, but there comes a point where a team has to make a stand, the Wings did it with the Avs, it took them a year to finally get Lemieux isolated and McCarty didn't hesitate, as a hockey fan, you knew it was coming, Lemieux had crossed the line one to many times.

But was the "retaliation" instigated by the coach? A coach should give the example and shouldn't add fuel to the fire. At least that my vision of things!

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 25):

That too.

slider

Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:53 pm

Flames and Canucks is 2-1 for YYC now, but damn if this isn't two VERY well matched teams. wow.

Habs look like the only runaway winner in the first round so far, as pretty much every other series is either 1-1 (Blues @ Wild tonight) or 2-1. Scratch that, I think Anaheim is up 2-0.

LittleFokker

Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:21 pm

I feel bad for Ottawa. This series could just as easily be 3-0 in favor of them it's been so close. Refs are clearly biased towards Montreal, as every close call has gone their way. The series is close enough that referee bias has been the difference.

I think Winnipeg wins tonight, though Anaheim likely to win in 5 or 6.

GrahamHill

Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:55 pm

Quoting LittleFokker (Reply 28):
I feel bad for Ottawa. This series could just as easily be 3-0 in favor of them it's been so close. Refs are clearly biased towards Montreal, as every close call has gone their way. The series is close enough that referee bias has been the difference.

Yesterday, I saw only one controversial penalty and that was the call on Lazar for boarding Emelin. Penalty didn't change the score.

Thing is, MTL suck this year with their PP, so getting penalties is not even an advantage for them.

aerobalance

Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:21 pm

Great game to watch this past Saturday...
 photo Ducks-Jets_zps7lrcyyij.jpg
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

WestJet747

Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:53 pm

Quoting LittleFokker (Reply 28):
Refs are clearly biased towards Montreal, as every close call has gone their way.

What series have you been watching? Because it surely hasn't been Montreal/Ottawa based on the above comment.

The reffing in Game 3 was so stacked against Montreal that it was even the topic of discussion by the panelists during both intermissions. I counted 5 egregious missed calls for Ottawa, and only 1 for Montreal.

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 29):
Thing is, MTL suck this year with their PP, so getting penalties is not even an advantage for them.

They're almost better when they're shorthanded. It's embarrassing.
Flying refined.

jetwet1

Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:26 pm

That's what I get for reading when i'm half asleep.

But you're OK with cheap shots?

100% not, good clean hits sure.

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 26):
But was the "retaliation" instigated by the coach? A coach should give the example and shouldn't add fuel to the fire. At least that my vision of things!

I would lay money that Bowman knew that if the team got the chance there was going to be blood spilled, hockey was different back then.

910A

Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:05 am

Rangers were impressive tonight. Keith Yandle play so far with the Rangers, exceeds what he did with the Coyotes over the last couple of seasons. He was known as the no defense defenseman here in the desert, but was a heck of a set up man on the power play. Another ex-Coyote got the 1st shutout in the playoffs this season for the Wild.

slider

Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:59 pm

Yeah, the Rangers' speed finally paid off.

Nice to see the "whiteout" in Winnipeg too! Those fans have waited a long time to finally get a playoff game in their home.

Blues played some of the worst hockey I've ever seen from them last night, and conversely, the Wild jumped all over them. Skated fast, hard, Dubnyk was good too (although didn't face many SOG at all and wasn't really tested much). That series could be interesting. Once again, STL has a great regular season then falls apart when it matters most. That was bad hockey.

GrahamHill

Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:13 pm

Quoting aerobalance (Reply 30):
Great game to watch this past Saturday...

Nice! And good seats too  
Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 32):
hockey was different back then

Oh yes.

Quoting Slider (Reply 34):
Once again, STL has a great regular season then falls apart when it matters most

That's why I never pick them to go in the Finals when I do my bracket challenge  

910A

Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:21 pm

RIP until next season, Winnipeg Jets and the Pittsburgh Pens.

runningonempty

Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:30 pm

What do you all think of the Islanders-Capitals series? I'm an isles fan myself, so I'm saying isles in 7 as I predicted a while back.

910A

Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:49 am

Quoting RunningOnEmpty (Reply 37):
What do you all think of the Islanders-Capitals series? I'm an isles fan myself, so I'm saying isles in 7 as I predicted a while back.

Been a hard hitting series, I have to go with the Caps in Game 7 with home ice the deciding factor.

opethfan

Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:43 am

Today, I'm going for my 'Nux.

910A

Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:19 am

What a last 10 minutes between the Nashville and Chicago..RIP Predators.

LittleFokker

Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:45 am

And then there were 12....congrats to the Rangers, Ducks, Flames, and Hawks for advancing. Detroit, Montreal, and Minnesota face game 6s with the 3-2 advantage, and Isles/Caps in game 7.

Much more entertaining set of first round series than the NBA, which has been marked by blowouts so far, and the majority of those series aren't going past 5 games.

What a game tonight between Calgary and Vancouver - and you can add another notch to the "Annual Canuck Playoff Dissapointment" tally board - it's getting to be quite full!

seb146

Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:09 am

shut up shut up shut up

just shut up...

I have two tatts and I never give up. We will take the Cup again. And long before the Cubs win the Series.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

LittleFokker

Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:28 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 42):
I have two tatts and I never give up. We will take the Cup again.

Which team is this?

GrahamHill

Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:45 pm

Quoting LittleFokker (Reply 41):
Montreal, and Minnesota face game 6s with the 3-2 advantage,

I have to say, I got a little scared in this series. Up 3-0 and suddenly 3-2 with a 5-1 defeat at the Bell Center? You can't avoid thinking "what if...".

Anyway, Habs qualified thanks to Carey Price. They were outshot 43-20. This is not acceptable. I understand you need a good goalie to go far in the playoffs, but the guys are just relying too much on Carey. They have to produce more if they want to go far.

Tonight I'll be supporting Detroit. First because I like the team and second because Habs didn't like playing Tampa this season. I'm thinking maybe the way Detroit is playing fits us better.

Much more entertaining set of first round series than the NBA, which has been marked by blowouts so far, and the majority of those series aren't going past 5 games.

Yeah, no surprises at all in NBA. GS sweeps NOLA, Cleveland sweeps Boston (I actually expected Boston to win one or two), Washington sweeps Toronto, Chicago should be done in 5 games, Memphis should qualify in 4 or 5 games too... Only the series between LAC and SAS is keeping its promises.

Hopefully the next round will be a bit more disputed.

ER757

Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:25 pm

and you can add another notch to the "Annual Canuck Playoff Dissapointment" tally board - i

No kidding - perennial underachievers up in YVR. I feel bad for their fans.

910A

Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:42 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 44):
Anyway, Habs qualified thanks to Carey Price.

and some back luck on the Sens side. At least Ottawa was classy enough not to go ape shit on the missed goal call.

jetwet1

Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:42 am

What a game tonight between Calgary and Vancouver - and you can add another notch to the "Annual Canuck Playoff Dissapointment" tally board - it's getting to be quite full!

LMAO, between them and the Sharks the West coast is a flood of tears.

Now, if the Flames can pretty please take care of the Ducks, the universe will be back in balance...Saldy I think the Ducks take this one.

What will be interesting though is the Hawks, this is their last year to really do something before the team gets blown up, thank you Mr Salarycap, so they really will be motivated.

910A

Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:57 pm

My 2nd round picks:
Ducks over Flames
Rangers take out the Caps
Has get by the Lighting as long as Price remains awesome
My upset pick - Wild stun the Hawks.

GrahamHill

Fri May 01, 2015 1:42 pm

Quoting 910A (Reply 46):
and some back luck on the Sens side.

One always need a tiny bit of luck to win  
Quoting 910A (Reply 48):
Ducks over Flames

Yes, and the Flames got a taste of it yesterday.

Quoting 910A (Reply 48):
Rangers take out the Caps

I agree, though NYR lost the first at home.

Quoting 910A (Reply 48):
Has get by the Lighting as long as Price remains awesome

True. It will be a tough one. And Tampa will want to avenge last year's sweep. Habs will have to be extremely solid.

Quoting 910A (Reply 48):
My upset pick - Wild stun the Hawks.

I have no idea for this one.