Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TR763
Topic Author

Suburban Or Mini Van For Vacation Rental?

Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:17 pm

Hello everyone.

I did a lot of research on the internet to decide, but I'm still in doubt. A little more inclined to get a Suburban over a Caravan (or equivalent).

This is what will happen:
I´ll be in Orlando with 6 other friends. We are looking for a car to rent but I honestly think that a mini van will not have enough space for our luggage when coming in and out.
Still, I've read some reports that the Suburban or the Yukon Denali XL are tight in the back rows, so the comfort for the passengers is better in a mini van. Is that true?

My first choice is to rent a Suburban, but seeing that people could be uncomfortable made me consider other options.
What do you guys think and recommend?

Thanks!!
Picture by Justin Cederholm at MCO.

casinterest

RE: Suburban Or Mini Van For Vacation Rental?

Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:23 pm

Toyota Sienna Minivan if at all possible. You can throw 6 in it, and still fold a seat down for luggage space if required.

It ain't the coolest, but it has the space and comfort. Otherwise, with 7, I would be inclined to go with 2 sedans.
Where ever you go, there you are.

PHLBOS

Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:34 pm

Quoting TR763 (Thread starter):
Still, I've read some reports that the Suburban or the Yukon Denali XL are tight in the back rows

I believe those reports regarding the tight 3rd-row seating were referring to the shorter Tahoes & standard-length Yukons not the longer-length Suburbans & Yukon XLs.

Other alternatives are the Suburban's direct rival, the Ford Expedition EL, or a full-size passenger van (Ford, Chevy, GMC, Ram or Nissan). If a 15-passenger model's too big; one can opt for a smaller-length 12-passenger model.

Quoting casinterest (Reply 1):
Otherwise, with 7, I would be inclined to go with 2 sedans.

I believe the OP is looking only to rent one vehicle as opposed to two.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

af773atmsp

Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:05 am

Go with the minivan, except a Mazda5, that is a very short minivan. The 3rd row seating is much more comfortable in a minivan than a SUV. I tried sitting in the back of an Acura MDX (2015 model) and clearly the 3rd row was meant for children, and this applies to pretty much every SUV with a 3rd row.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788,74M
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK,KL,B6
Too many airports to fit in signature.

Polot

Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:08 am

How much driving are you planning on doing? The Suburban/Yukon XL's 3rd row seats are by no means the most comfortable place to be but it is sufficient if you are just driving around town.

TR763
Topic Author

Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:12 am

Quoting casinterest (Reply 1):
Toyota Sienna Minivan if at all possible.

The rental companies always put, for example: "Dodge Caravan (or similar)". I can't make a reservation for THE model itself, but try asking if there is one available at pick up. At least in this category.

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 2):
Other alternatives are the Suburban's direct rival, the Ford Expedition EL

Same as above.

I believe the OP is looking only to rent one vehicle as opposed to two.

Yes, we want only one car, for sure.

Quoting af773atmsp (Reply 3):

Yes, I just have in mind that the luggage may fit better in a large SUV than in a mini van.

Quoting Polot (Reply 4):
How much driving are you planning on doing? The Suburban/Yukon XL's 3rd row seats are by no means the most comfortable place to be but it is sufficient if you are just driving around town.

The farthest we plan to go are Kennedy Space Center and Busch Gardens, both are a little over an hour of driving.

Thank you very much guys!!

casinterest

Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:15 am

Quoting TR763 (Reply 5):
Yes, I just have in mind that the luggage may fit better in a large SUV than in a mini van.

With 7 people. both are going to be a bit tight with luggage. Does the rental offer a cargo carrier for the top?
Where ever you go, there you are.

BMI727

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:53 am

Quoting TR763 (Thread starter):
Suburban Or Mini Van For Vacation Rental?  

You're on vacation in Orlando, so since style points are out the window anyway you might as well get the van.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

PHLBOS

Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:51 pm

Quoting TR763 (Reply 5):
The rental companies always put, for example: "Dodge Caravan (or similar)". I can't make a reservation for THE model itself, but try asking if there is one available at pick up. At least in this category.
A phone call to the actual rental car branch you'll be dealing with might be a better way to find out what models they actually have and are available.

Also, do keep in mind that many rental companies tend to over-classify their vehicles. If one asks for just an SUV, one might be directed to a smaller model (Explorer, Durango); whereas if one asks for a Premium SUV, one might acually be directed towards the larger models (Tahoe, Suburban, Expedition, Expedition EL).

The other big question is, how much luggage/cargo will you & and your 6 friends be carrying? The one advantage of a full-size van is that one can place all their luggage on the back (4-across) seat & underneath (thereby making the 12-passenger van an 8-seater w/cargo) without the added cost and hassle of a supplemental cargo carrier.

Regarding the Suburban's 3rd-row seating issue: As I mentioned earlier, the negative 3rd-seat space reviews were more directed towards the shorter, but still full-size Tahoe. In addition to being longer and having a longer wheelbase; the Suburban's 3rd row seat is positioned differently (due to the latter) and allows for more legroom than its shorter Tahoe brother.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

DocLightning

Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:34 pm

Just remember, the Suburban is a huge vehicle. If you're used to driving small cars, it's not an easy adjustment.

A minivan will be easier to drive and offer more room. Yes, the performance sucks and the gas mileage is not good, but the functionality for what you need is very good.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Superfly

Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:09 pm

I'm not a fan of either but given the choice, go for the Suburban.
Those minivans are just so damn dorky!
Bring back the Concorde

jetwet1

Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:50 pm

How about a full size van, something like a Chevy Express or Ford Ecoline, i've used them a few times when we have had a large group in town, plenty of room for a group of 7 plus luggage.

[Edited 2015-04-15 14:50:50]

PHLBOS

Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:56 pm

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 11):
How about a full size van

I already mentioned such in my 2 previous posts (bold emphasis added):

Other alternatives are the Suburban's direct rival, the Ford Expedition EL, or a full-size passenger van (Ford, Chevy, GMC, Ram or Nissan). If a 15-passenger model's too big; one can opt for a smaller-length 12-passenger model.

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 8):
The other big question is, how much luggage/cargo will you & and your 6 friends be carrying? The one advantage of a full-size van is that one can place all their luggage on the back (4-across) seat & underneath (thereby making the 12-passenger van an 8-seater w/cargo) without the added cost and hassle of a supplemental cargo carrier.

Whether he accepted that suggestion or not is unknown.

TR763
Topic Author

Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:25 am

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 11):
How about a full size van, something like a Chevy Express or Ford Ecoline
Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 12):
Whether he accepted that suggestion or not is unknown.

I´ve done a California trip before in a Ford Econoliner. Great space, but I found it very basic. Not to mention that for this trip to Orlando it's average price is about the same as of 3 mini vans or 2 Suburbans.
So it's off the table.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 9):
Just remember, the Suburban is a huge vehicle. If you're used to driving small cars, it's not an easy adjustment.

Here in Brazil I'm used to drive a Mitsubishi Pajero Full (I believe it is called Montero elsewhere, as Pajero in Spanish is a bad word). Even though the Suburban is bigger, I don't think it will be difficult to get used to it. I did well with an Econoliner in LA, a Suburban in Orlando would be no problem, I believe. lol

I think I'll go with the Suburban. Even though the mini vans are very versatile, they are kind of boring imho. For sure a huge SUV excites me more

Thank you very much guys, I really appreciatte your answers!

nws2002

Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:21 pm

It really is a toss up. The third row in any normal vehicle is not exceptionally comfortable for three adults. Most minivans now have a deep well in the cargo area where the third row folds down into, and this greatly increases the cargo volume. The Suburban looks much cooler, but sucks down gas.