Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Tango-Bravo
Topic Author

Will Pay Increases Improve Walmart?

Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:19 pm

Will Walmart's new minimum wage of $9/hr (set to go to $10/hr in Feb 2016) lift Walmart from their 'bottom of the barrel' customer experience ratings? I say no...unless the following issues are also addressed and resolved in a meaningful way:

1) Management style at the store level and above needs to undergo a drastic makeover to improve associate morale from current sub-zero levels...which will require major 'housecleaning' of manager and supervisor ranks.

2) Understaffing that is largely and directly responsible for Walmart's negative reviews needs to be corrected.

While Walmart's $9-10 minimum hourly wage is an improvement for associates not already there or above, most to nearly all of Walmart's competition for quality entry-level employees have responded in kind. Plus, said competitors may well offer a more positive work experience, leaving Walmart with the same personnel issues that contribute significantly to customer satisfaction ratings that consistently fall somewhere between 'terrible' and 'disappointing' ...unless 1) and 2) above take place along with said wage increases.

So, please 'weigh-in' with your thoughts on the subject.

[Edited 2015-04-16 12:22:28]

DLFREEBIRD

RE: Will Pay Increases Improve Walmart?

Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:53 pm

Walmart is the 3rd largest employer in the world. a dollar a hour more is a big deal for our economy. I have no idea what it will do for the moral of their employee's. Since i do not shop there.

[Edited 2015-04-16 12:54:27]

[Edited 2015-04-16 12:54:51]

[Edited 2015-04-16 12:55:37]

frostyj

Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:11 pm

No the quality of products offered will improve Walmart.
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

falstaff

Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:14 pm

Walmart is fine just like it is. Low skill workers deserve low wages.... Get skills and get a better job. I started out making Minimum wage in 1992 and I kept moving up from there. Millions of other people did the same thing. People need to make good choices. Poor choices early in life and hurt you forever. I work with teens everyday that all come from similar backgrounds. Some study hard, earn good grades and go off and make a good living. Some sit in the house, smoke weed all day and drop out of high school at age 16. That kid will likely be hurting when he's 30, but he made the choice.

I shop at Walmart all the time. I don't see any more grumpy employees than I see at the union represented grocery stores.

Quoting frostyj (Reply 2):
No the quality of products offered will improve Walmart.

The junk they sell at Walmart is sold everywhere; Walmart doesn't corner the market in cheap stuff.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

AAlaxfan

Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:21 pm

Unless they're including a health benefit package, and a guaranteed work hours minimum, the morale of non supervisory personnel will stay low. Customer service and store upkeep (cleanliness, stocking conditions etc.) will continue to suffer. The extra pay will not help if your hours go from 30/week to 25/week, which management of all retail companies have been known to do in order to cover the cost of raises.
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

frostyj

Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:24 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 3):

Compare Walmart clothes to Gucci. No
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

luckyone

Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:28 pm

Wal Mart, for me, is just like any other big box retailer...only not as clean and not as well-organized. They don't usually have the quality of goods I want, I find the shopping experience less-than-ideal (online shopping is hands-down more convenient), and good lord do we really need to comment on the customers that seem to only shop at Wal Mart...

My biggest beefs with Wal-Mart are most likely coincidental, but it seems persistent: It's always a long way to get into the building itself, and whatever I need always seems to be at the back of the store. Then, when I need to leave, it's a nightmare because they have 30 cashier stands, of which ten will be open if you're lucky.

Increased pay is unlikely to fix most of those beefs.

[Edited 2015-04-16 14:29:32]

falstaff

Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:38 pm

Quoting frostyj (Reply 5):

You could say the same with comparing Brooks Brothers and Gucci. Different market all together. I buy all of my work clothes at Walmart, I wrench on cars... I have no need for designer anything. I like my dress clothes to come from Brooks Brothers; very conservative.

I buy shirts and pants from Rural King and Tractor Supply. You wouldn't catch me in anything from a modern designer. I most certainly can afford designer clothes, but I have zero desire to own them. I am a redneck and I dress like one most of the time.

Quoting luckyone (Reply 6):
only not as clean and not as well-organized

Depends on the Walmart store.

frostyj

Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:42 pm

Hmmm well that is fine and I am not going to criticize you because that is your life but looking at the clothes I seen in Walmart gave the suggestion that they would rip apart pretty easily.

In the UK we actually have great quality of clothing in low priced places i.e Primark and Asda.

I didn't feel like I was in a supermarket and I didn't like that.

fr8mech

Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:48 pm

Many studies have shown that employees do not look at pay alone for morale. $1/Hour will not increase morale.

Quoting DLFREEBIRD (Reply 1):
Walmart is the 3rd largest employer in the world. a dollar a hour more is a big deal for our economy. I have no idea what it will do for the moral of their employee's. Since i do not shop there

I've no clue how many employees will be affected by the $1/hour raise, but I can assure you, it will not affect our economy in the slightest. It will affect the corporate bottom line, but an increase in prices, or more likely, a little squeezing on the suppliers will keep the margins right where they need to be to satisfy the institutional shareholders.

Quoting frostyj (Reply 8):
Hmmm well that is fine and I am not going to criticize you because that is your life but looking at the clothes I seen in Walmart gave the suggestion that they would rip apart pretty easily.

Actually, their work clothes, I can't recall the line they carry (Dickies?), are very durable.

Did you just try to compare Gucci products to products sold in Walmart? My God man, that's like trying to compare Bentley to Schwinn...they are not even in the same category. They do not share any part of the market.

In the UK we actually have great quality of clothing in low priced places i.e Primark and Asda

There is a difference between quality and name-brand recognition. You can get quality clothing (products) at Target, Walmart, Penny's, etc at a fraction of the cost of the high-end retailers. To tell you the truth, the durability of a Brooks Brothers suit is only slightly better than the durability of a, say, Men's Wearhouse suit, but the cut, fit and styling will be better. Worth the difference in cost? That's up to the consumer.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

DLFREEBIRD

Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:15 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 9):
Quoting fr8mech (Reply 9):
've no clue how many employees will be affected by the $1/hour raise, but I can assure you, it will not affect our economy in the slightest. It will affect the corporate bottom line, but an increase in prices, or more likely, a little squeezing on the suppliers will keep the margins right where they need to be to satisfy the institutional shareholders.

Wal-Mart told The Associated Press that within the next six months it will give raises to about 500,000 workers, or nearly 40 percent of its 1.3 million U.S. employees.

The average hourly worker makes 8.81 a hour. This year their wages start out at 9.00 a hour and next year there wages will be 10.00 a hour. right now most employee's are making 7.25 in the short term

the average working hours are 30 so the increase in wages will be 1.4 billion in the first year. and 2.2 billion
in the second year.

they will be moving money from richer people to poorer people. rich people save 15% of their income while poor people save 0 % and yes general 1$ an hour won't make much of an impact, but it will make some impact, and even more so when they are making 10.00 a hour next year. But hey! Let's ask Wal-mart employee's if it makes a difference to their economy?

swissy

Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:54 pm

don't think so... WM is WM, extra cost will be rolled in the retail pricing or suppliers will be asked for better pricing. It won't cost a penny extra to WM  

cheerios

seb146

Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:56 pm

Quoting Tango-Bravo (Thread starter):
Will Walmart's new minimum wage of $9/hr (set to go to $10/hr in Feb 2016) lift Walmart from their 'bottom of the barrel' customer experience ratings?

No. It will go from 20 check stands with only three open to 20 check stands with only two open and the second cashier is going on break in five minutes.

Low skill workers deserve low wages.... Get skills and get a better job.

Source? I hear this time and again and, still, we find that people with legitimate degrees (things like finance and computers and health care) end up getting low wage jobs because there are no jobs they are qualified for in this country. A lot of tech jobs moved to Asia and we in the USA refuse to work for $1 an hour when we know darn good and well that an individual can not survive on less than $15 an hour.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

fr8mech

Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:32 am

Quoting DLFREEBIRD (Reply 10):
But hey! Let's ask Wal-mart employee's if it makes a difference to their economy?

Who said anything about their economy. The question was about 'our economy'. And, no, I don't think $40 - $80 a week, for full-time employees will make much of a difference to the economy in the short term. The increase, if these folks are smart, will be used to pay down the debt they must surely have.

And, again, this will be offset by price increases or cost-cutting.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

luckyone

Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:49 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 13):
And, again, this will be offset by price increases

Most minimum wage increases are. Which puts minimum wage earners right back where they started...in a bind.

seb146

Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:14 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 13):
The increase, if these folks are smart, will be used to pay down the debt they must surely have.

Like for housing and transportation and health care and utilities. This increase in pay will surely kick these employees off food stamps making it necessary for them to get a second or third job just to keep paying for low quality, high fat/sugar/sodium foods.

BMI727

Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:30 am

Will Walmart's new minimum wage of $9/hr (set to go to $10/hr in Feb 2016) lift Walmart from their 'bottom of the barrel' customer experience ratings?

I hope so but probably not. I don't know how to do it, but Walmart along with Taco Bell and Burger King seem to find employees who are a cut below anywhere else. I think most of their paychecks must go to weed and mismatched parts for their Saturn.

2) Understaffing that is largely and directly responsible for Walmart's negative reviews needs to be corrected.

I'm fine with understaffing because employees asking me if I need help every ten seconds pisses me off. But not nearly as much as it pisses me off when the cashier asks me if I found what I needed, as if I'm going to pick up all my stuff and take their guidance to go find that last thing I was looking for. Someday I'm going to go off on one of them...

Low skill workers deserve low wages.... Get skills and get a better job.

Somehow Walmart seems to find dumber people than other minimum wage employers.

Walmart clothes are low quality, but the prices for designer labels are ridiculous. I have little use for shopping anywhere nicer than Macy's. (Macy's has a wide enough variety of clothes to highlight just how stupid it is to buy some of the fancy stuff. $90 for a polo shirt?)
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

falstaff

Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:07 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 16):
Walmart clothes are low quality

I buy Dickies work clothes there, they are very rugged.

Quoting seb146 (Reply 12):
I hear this time and again and, still, we find that people with legitimate degrees (things like finance and computers and health care) end up getting low wage jobs because there are no jobs they are qualified for in this country

Too many people have those degrees to make them valuable. A degree in finance isn't a skill. Welding, machinist, mechanic, etc are skills in high demand. I get employers coming to me for my students. Just because people have s lot of education doesn't mean those are skills employers are looking for. When I was in college the humanities had no problem attracting students, but they graduated without jobs or low paying jobs. The auto tech department had 100% job placement (good jobs), but a lot of kids didn't think of taking auto. When people are young and idealistic they don't think about what skills are needed in the world.

There are lots of things still made in the USA, particularly high dollar durable goods. If you are looking at nothing but consumer goods you think nothing is made here. Take a look at industrial goods.

e but looking at the clothes I seen in Walmart gave the suggestion that they would rip apart pretty easily.

Your profile says you're under 21 and don't live in the US; how many Walmart stores have you shopped at?

The Dickie's work clothes I get at Walmart are fantastic. I wouldn't be interested in wearing designer clothes to repair automobiles...

I've spent a fair amount of time in the UK (Yorkshire) and there are lots of people who dress exactly the way I do.

seb146

Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:49 am

Quoting falstaff (Reply 17):
Too many people have those degrees to make them valuable.

And that's another thing: people (more often than not, GOP'ers) demand low wage workers just get a degree and problem solved. Not knowing anything of the worker's back ground or pay.

Look at Gwyneth Paltrow living on $29 for food for a week. That is not suffering. That is not understanding the issue. Likewise, right wingers (mostly) standing around saying "well just get a degree" when that is not the only part of the issue. Many low wage workers do not have the time or money (both, usually) to get any other training. Dropping one low wage job for two years or more that was barely keeping the family afloat is going to kill that family.

It is great to make a suggestion, but how can people get there? It's like saying right wingers "Let's just repeal ACA and see what else we come up with." Don't start with Pelosi's comment because at least ACA was something. Not single payer but better than the right wing proposal.

LAX772LR

Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:44 am

Quoting luckyone (Reply 6):
do we really need to comment on the customers that seem to only shop at Wal Mart

That's sort of a regional thing.

In places in the DeepSouth, where Walmart is *everywhere* and often the primary shopping center.... you see all types of folk: for ever toothless pickup-driving bumpkin in the who walks in, you see a doctor or lawyer getting out of a Mercedes/BMW.

In larger/coastal cities, where Walmart is rare, they seem to be the pentacle of backwater ratchetness.

Quoting seb146 (Reply 12):
No. It will go from 20 check stands with only three open to 20 check stands with only two open

THAT would be the most infuriating thing in low-end (and grocery) stores, to me.

I've sworn off Target for that reason-- I NEVER shop there, as a 10min shopping trip always turns into a half hour, due to the wait in line; while there's 15 other lines available, but nobody to work them..

Most Walmarts I've been to, offer self-checkout, which is usually a pretty easy way to get around this problem.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

bhill

Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:31 am

Quoting falstaff (Reply 17):
Too many people have those degrees to make them valuable. A degree in finance isn't a skill. Welding, machinist, mechanic, etc are skills in high demand. I get employers coming to me for my students. Just because people have s lot of education doesn't mean those are skills employers are looking for. When I was in college the humanities had no problem attracting students, but they graduated without jobs or low paying jobs. The auto tech department had 100% job placement (good jobs), but a lot of kids didn't think of taking auto.

College teaches critical thinking....yes, even the humanities. And don't forget..SOMEONE engineered the arc welders and gas regulators...and the plasma torch??? Physics!!!
Carpe Pices

Aesma

Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:11 pm

Quoting DLFREEBIRD (Reply 10):
The average hourly worker makes 8.81 a hour. This year their wages start out at 9.00 a hour and next year there wages will be 10.00 a hour. right now most employee's are making 7.25 in the short term

the average working hours are 30 so the increase in wages will be 1.4 billion in the first year. and 2.2 billion
in the second year.

So they're making less than 1000$ a month ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams