Aesma
Topic Author

Do You Own Land?

Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:29 pm

It can be where your house is or not, but I'm not talking about a large garden, rather 1 hectare or more (2,5 acres).

I recently learned that you could buy land for pretty cheap in France, as long as it's not for building purposes. A relatively common investment is to buy forests. Others buy ponds for fishing or pleasure.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

mham001

RE: Do You Own Land?

Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:07 pm

Somebody has to own all that land. I have a smaller parcel of 14 acres with a house overlooking the Pacific. It is used to grow medicinal marijuana.

Aesma
Topic Author

Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:48 pm

Quoting mham001 (Reply 1):
Somebody has to own all that land.

I guess I didn't realize this until recently. I live in a city so any open space is owned by the city, not by a person.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

PhilBy

Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:06 pm

I have 1.2 hectares in the Lauragais but it's mostly at a 30degree slope so of limited use other than decorative. Lawnmowing is an experience!

If you compare to the UK you can buy land pretty cheap in France even if it has a house on it!

Marcus

Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:45 pm

Yes I do own land....they don't make that stuff anymore so get it while you can...
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

fr8mech

Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:01 pm

My home sits on about 5 acres, give or take a survey line here and there. Most of it is wooded and backs up to a creek. .

Quoting Aesma (Thread starter):
. A relatively common investment is to buy forests.

That doesn't sound like an investment. An investment presumes an expectation that you will receive some return on that investment in the future. If you can't build or improve on it, there should be no real appreciation in value...absent a large demand.

Of course, just owning some land provides its own return, if you enjoy the land...maybe an investment in your own well being?

Quoting mham001 (Reply 1):
Somebody has to own all that land.

Here in the states, there are vast tracts of land that are still 'owned' by the federal government. I would also look at state governments and utilities as owning large tracts of land. I suspect railroads still own quite a bit.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

zkojq

Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:17 am

My parents bought the family farm a few years before I was born while they were living in Europe. When I was young, the planting of trees (mainly pines) began. About 17,000 were planted in total. They're nearly ready for harvesting.
http://bit.ly/1Dfo7ur
http://bit.ly/1Dfo7ur

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 5):
That doesn't sound like an investment. An investment presumes an expectation that you will receive some return on that investment in the future. If you can't build or improve on it, there should be no real appreciation in value...absent a large demand.

Of course it is, just rather a long time for the investment to reach maturity:
Wait for the trees to grow and reach maturity (between 15 and 30 years, depending on the type of trees) and then harvest them. Here you can claim carbon credits in the interim under some circumstances.
First to fly the 787-9

andrej

Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:40 am

Quoting ZKOJQ (Reply 6):
Of course it is

Timberland is an investment and in my view quite attractive and alternative one. You get a land and product with long storage and no need to harvest (like for example grain).

mham001

Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:45 pm

That doesn't sound like an investment.

Oh yes it is, I know of acreage near San Jose with known $300,000 in harvest-ready redwood. Of course, that is dependent on the government letting you cut it.

Here in the states, there are vast tracts of land that are still 'owned' by the federal government.

I almost mentioned that but cut it in the interests of keeping it civil. Around here, the government(s) are still buying land.

Ken777

Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:58 pm

My parents bought an acre just outside of Estes Park when I was in the Navy and Dad planned on building an A Frame home for retirement. Then Mom had a stroke some years later and Dad realized that they would always need to be close to medical care found in a larger town.

Quoting ZKOJQ (Reply 6):
When I was young, the planting of trees (mainly pines) began.

When I was a Cub Scout we went to a week of camp and spent a day of planting pine "trees" (4" to 6" tall) in an area at the entry of the camp that had been hit with a fire. Over the years when we would drive by the camp on the way to Houston I would check out "our forest", enjoying how it was growing. That was in the mid 50's andI can't spot the trees any more because of the Interstate routing. Might make a trip down there this summer to see if i can find it.

fr8mech

Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:28 pm

Quoting andrej (Reply 7):
Timberland is an investment and in my view quite attractive and alternative one.
Quoting ZKOJQ (Reply 6):
Wait for the trees to grow and reach maturity (between 15 and 30 years, depending on the type of trees) and then harvest them. Here you can claim carbon credits in the interim under some circumstances
Quoting mham001 (Reply 8):
Oh yes it is, I know of acreage near San Jose with known $300,000 in harvest-ready redwood. Of course, that is dependent on the government letting you cut it.

Pardon my ignorance, but I suspected that if he couldn't build on it, then he wouldn't be able to harvest the trees. Of course, there is a gain on investment (assuming he doesn't pay some exorbitant price) if he would be allowed to harvest it, but what if he isn't? I can't harvest any of the trees on my land, except those that are dead or diseased.

There is something to be said about the aesthetic reasons for buying land, even if it is to keep others from building improving on it...in fact, I'm a fan of that tactic, so long as it remains in the private market.

But, it is not an investment, absent a large future demand, if you can not build/improve or harvest.

Quoting mham001 (Reply 8):
I almost mentioned that but cut it in the interests of keeping it civil. Around here, the government(s) are still buying land.

As far as I'm concerned, that is not a problem, so long as they are paying market prices and are not 'taking' it without 'just compensation'. And, so far as I'm concerned, 'just compensation' is the market value of the future use of the land.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

duke

Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:00 pm

No, I don't and that sucks.

andrej

Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:07 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 10):
Pardon my ignorance, but I suspected that if he couldn't build on it, then he wouldn't be able to harvest the trees.

I believe that you have to invest in a timberland, not just any land with trees on it. Furthermore, before proceeding, you should conduct due diligence (in this case, top priority is to know that tree harvesting is allowed on the property/in the area).

So it should not be an issue to invest in a property that allows (has a history of) tree harvesting.

You may also rent the timberland to timber harvesting company or hunting organization (i.e. generating rent).

Cheers,

Andrej

flipdewaf

Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:45 pm

27acres on the north yorkshire moors with a farmhouse and a holiday cottage. My wife and I currently live in a small cottage near pickering (if you know steam trains you know pickering) and plan to move to the farm in a few years when she quits work to make sprogs.

Fred

PlymSpotter

Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:10 pm

Came close to buying around 35 acres in North Devon a few years ago, partly for equine use, but decided against it. The extended family own a number of farms in North Cornwall and commented that the area I was looking at sees a microclimate which results in a much lower grass yield.

Ultimately I plan on buying 50-100 acres for an altruistic project I have in mind, but that is a long term goal.

Quoting flipdewaf (Reply 13):
My wife and I currently live in a small cottage near pickering (if you know steam trains you know pickering) and plan to move to the farm in a few years when she quits work to make sprogs.

Well you certainly won't disturb the neighbours with it...

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

zkojq

Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:31 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 9):
When I was a Cub Scout we went to a week of camp and spent a day of planting pine "trees" (4" to 6" tall) in an area at the entry of the camp that had been hit with a fire. Over the years when we would drive by the camp on the way to Houston I would check out "our forest", enjoying how it was growing. That was in the mid 50's andI can't spot the trees any more because of the Interstate routing. Might make a trip down there this summer to see if i can find it.

I hope they're still there!

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 10):
I can't harvest any of the trees on my land, except those that are dead or diseased.
Quoting andrej (Reply 12):
I believe that you have to invest in a timberland, not just any land with trees on it.

If the trees weren't planted and raised (for the first few years they have to be pruned in a certain way that promotes vertical growth) with the purpose of harvesting in mind, then they won't be worth doing so. Trees intended for harvesting are selectively bred for optimal growth characteristics. The wood from trees that aren't the right breed and which aren't grown properly will often be full of knots and doesn't make very good timber.

http://www.appletons.co.nz/forestry.php

Quoting andrej (Reply 7):
You get a land and product with long storage and no need to harvest (like for example grain).

and every time there is a heavy storm, you get quite a few logs of free firewood (or raw materials for DIY projects, if you're that sortof person). My grandfather was very skilled at wood turning, so we would usually give him some each year. He would turn it into beautiful bowls, vases, dishes etc.
First to fly the 787-9