Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

swissy
Topic Author

Bye Bye Iphone 6plus Hello BB Passport

Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:15 pm

yup had enough with the IOS crap the fruit clowns put out lately... just ordered a unlocked BB Passport.
Have way to many issues lately on the software side... email, wifi/cell, txt, my cell rings and the wife' s at the same time, keep my fu.. settings after an update. wtf all was running so good but since the latest updates... bloody joke ...

BB it is for now, with an close eye on the MS phones  

don't know if i am the only one here having these bloody issues...but enough is enough.

cheerios

WestJet747

RE: Bye Bye Iphone 6plus Hello BB Passport

Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:54 pm

I use an iPhone 6 for work and I find the email experience to be completely inferior to BB10. But I don't find myself having any real "issues" with it, just a mediocre product by design.

I'm a big BlackBerry fan, but the Passport was one offering that never grabbed my attention. If I were to buy a BB device today it would likely be the Classic.
Flying refined.

swissy
Topic Author

Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:17 pm

i came via Samsung to BB, but had to look for something else because i could not get the apps with BB i needed... I4S was our first apple phone, worked great so did the I5 at first... after the last updates nothing but rubbish. we got 5 ipads , 2 ipods and 2 I6plus on one account, was fine first now just bs. all these devices have their own setup and i can't understand after one update all hell breaks loose because apple just disregards old settings... Why do we have one account with apple? to keep it simple and have somewhat control over our kids stuff and business stuff. same with the macpro what a disappointment...my Asus I7 laptop rocks compare to the macpro... got them within 2 weeks of each other... now i got 2 ipads in the office and if someone calls me or the wife? 2 ipdas and 2 I6 plus ring at the same time!!!wtf and if i work at that time on the macpro that thing rings also!!!

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 1):
I use an iPhone 6 for work and I find the email experience to be completely inferior to BB10. But I don't find myself having any real "issues" with it, just a mediocre product by design.

did some net searching and it seems i m not the only one out there having frustrating issues...

BB passport for interim until the Leap is available...

cheerios

Ken777

Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:43 am

Everyone in the family has moved to Apple. The son-in-law was the first because he's a musician who has done studio work for decades and the Macs were a must for him. I moved to a PowerBook after total misery for a week on a business computer. I paid out the nose for Dull to provide US based support and they up and moved support to a 3ed party company in India who never resolved my issues. I checked with Consumer Reports for the computer company with the highest rated customer service and Apple was on top. That was all I needed to know. There is still one old XP PC acting like a door stop because of 1 small app I might need to use (with a serial port) once every year or so. That is about to end as the dust collector really isn't needed any more.

Now we have 7 iPhones in the family, from a 4S to multiple 6's and aren't having any major problems. Text works as does email. Basically it does what we want it to do - and then some. I have a few apps I want and the grandson has a major collection of apps on my iPhone, collected over the years. And. like the Macs, my support from Apple has been first rate.

zckls04

Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:06 am

Quoting swissy (Thread starter):
yup had enough with the IOS crap the fruit clowns put out lately... just ordered a unlocked BB Passport.
Have way to many issues lately on the software side..

Yeah, iOS has decreased somewhat stability-wise as it has tried to compete feature-wise with Android. More worryingly it's also lost the only thing I ever liked about it- intuitiveness. I spent a miserable Easter trying to find a way to get an iPad set up with some Apps for my nephew without whoring all my information to Apple. Ended up buying a gift card on the Apple website, but that turned out to be only for the Apple Store. And was non-refundable. And could not be used on iTunes. Asked in the Apple Store and they didn't have a clue what to do; after 40 minutes calling somebody at their head office they told me there was nothing they could do.

Apple's lack of agility lost me as a customer in 2013, but until recently I had recommended it to my parents and other aged relatives. But it looks like those days are over. Dealing with their products is what in the UK we would term "a tremendous faff".
Four Granavox Turbines!

iFlyLOTs

Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:40 am

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 1):
I'm a big BlackBerry fan, but the Passport was one offering that never grabbed my attention. If I were to buy a BB device today it would likely be the Classic.

The Classic has such a great design, but I really hate how the hardware is so incredibly behind. I've heard terrible things about it's multitasking and that would be a huge issue for me.

Quoting swissy (Thread starter):
BB it is for now, with an close eye on the MS phones

I'm the exact opposite, switched from iPhone to MS with the Icon, and I absolutely love it (now that Verizon has decided that I can update it). But BB has definitely grabbed my attention over the last few months with what they've been offering.
"...stay hungry, stay foolish" -Steve Jobs

nws2002

Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:38 am

I shelved my iPhone 6 and went back to a BB Q10 I already owned a few weeks ago. I missed the keyboard and the email is 10x better on the BB. Also, now that Android apps are easy to load on BB I can get nearly any app I want/need. I still have an iPad and a Macbook though.

Rara

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:20 am

My family has gone mostly Apple. My brother has been Apple all the way for a few years now, but now my mother has taken to a MacBook and iPhone 6, and my father has switched to using an iPad rather than his old Windows laptop.

On the other hand, my wife has gotten a Galaxy S6 after several iPhone years, and she sure doesn't look back.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

swissy
Topic Author

Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:16 pm

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 4):
Yeah, iOS has decreased somewhat stability-wise as it has tried to compete feature-wise with Android. More worryingly it's also lost the only thing I ever liked about it- intuitiveness.

Could not agree more... thats why we went with apple, wife is no techie and she does not handle very big changes well. so i got her the macpro, ipad and iphone, since Win8 is just so different from what she was used to with MS. Well that bit me in the a.. big time. I got myself an Asus I7 laptop and a surface pro and just love it. Still got my BB Playbook...and it still runs strong. Don't need a keyboard on my cell but for now it is the BB Passport, have to check when the Leap is available here in Canada and see. Do need a 5" display because i do a lot on the cell on the go and i am not young anymore! somewhat bigger is better!  

I also will keep an eye on what MS is bringing on the table down the road on the cell side...that would work with laptop and surface  
Quoting nws2002 (Reply 7):
I shelved my iPhone 6 and went back to a BB Q10 I already owned a few weeks ago. I missed the keyboard and the email is 10x better on the BB. Also, now that Android apps are easy to load on BB I can get nearly any app I want/need. I still have an iPad and a Macbook though.

same here, sold 2 I4s, gave one I5 away for free and now got a I5 and one I6plus shelved now for good and will see if wife wants to make a switch over to BB or MS sooner or later. i have very few apps and they are all available now for BB's  

cheerios

EUflyer

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:48 pm

Snap

I'm picking up a Blackberry Classic tomorrow - I started off in Blackberry back in 2006 and in 2012 went to an iPhone4S then went to a Samsung S5 in 2014, but hate the touchscreen and prefer a proper keyboard on a phone.

The Blackberry Passport I feel is too big for my needs and going on the experience I had with my Samsung S5, and as my last one I had was the Bold - which is in effect what the classic is I am happy with this.

I suspect I will be getting Blackberry for a long time to come once again.

[Edited 2015-04-20 15:28:33]

nws2002

Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:57 am

I haven't used iTunes for anything iOS related in a long time. Everything syncs and backs up with iCloud. Although I now use a BB, when I got my iPhone 6 all I did was put in my Apple ID and it downloaded all my apps, photos, music, etc. That part of iOS has always worked perfectly for me.

zckls04

Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:08 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 36):
I think you may have answered your own question within the question. The Apple Store (mostly hardware) and the iTunes/App Store are two different things with little overlap. That's why there are different gift cards.

Why can't they use the same gift card? I can use a single Amazon gift card to buy hardware, Apps and music files; what's the reason for the distinction?
Four Granavox Turbines!

jetblueguy22

Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:16 pm

Quoting swissy (Reply 2):
2 ipdas and 2 I6 plus ring at the same time!!!wtf and if i work at that time on the macpro that thing rings also!!!

You can deselect it in the settings.

Quoting nws2002 (Reply 10):
I haven't used iTunes for anything iOS related in a long time. Everything syncs and backs up with iCloud. Although I now use a BB

Agreed. I just got a 6 Plus and I put in my e-mail and it was like I'd had the phone forever.

It's interesting to see all the people who have left iOS. I defected to Android back in September in the Galaxy S5. I hated it. It was so buggy, apps were crashing quite a bit, and every time I would close an app I would get an alert that Contacts had closed. It was driving me nuts. Finally one afternoon I had enough and went and bought a 6 Plus off contract, something I never thought I'd do. Everything loaded up right away. I'm never going back. Maybe I'm too simple for Android, but I just love my iPhone. Everything just works.
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

opethfan

Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:34 pm

I worked part time in mobile for several years to save some extra money, and here is my one-line analysis of each platform, with a firm tongue in cheek. Feel free to disagree.

BlackBerry: If we build devices from the early 2000s, maybe we'll recreate our success from the early 2000s!

Windows Phone: Baby's first smartphone. Nice performance and aesthetics, no apps or features.

Android: Can do everything! Except keep the battery alive for a day and not stutter from all the bloatware.

iPhone: Do things your way? Why would you want to do that? Our way. Our charger. Our apps. Our phone. Not yours.

Ubuntu: Pissing off their core audience to chase a market segment that has already ran away from them.

Tizen: Page 14 of Wired Magazine, until it changes its name and ownership again.

N1120A

Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:49 am

Quoting Rara (Reply 7):
On the other hand, my wife has gotten a Galaxy S6 after several iPhone years, and she sure doesn't look back.

Smart lady
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

LFutia

Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:37 am

Quoting opethfan (Reply 13):
Android: Can do everything! Except keep the battery alive for a day and not stutter from all the bloatware.

I went android and never looked back. I love android. I had a blackberry back in thee day and realised how the times have changed. iPhone is too simple. there is no real customisation compared to android.

I had the whole line of the HTC Droid Incredible except the DNA. I got tired of HTC and when Sony and Verizon partnered up, I QUICKLY jumped on the Sony Z3v bandwagon and needless to say, I really love my phone. I love how water proof it is and the battery life. Unless something new and special happens for iPhone, I'll be sticking to Android.

Leo/ORD
Leo/ORD

opethfan

Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:31 am

Quoting LFutia (Reply 15):

I have a Nexus 5 and love it. If Sony ever release a Z3 Compact with stock Lollipop, I'll bite immediately.

notaxonrotax

Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:45 am

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 12):
 Maybe I'm too simple for Android, but I just love my iPhone. Everything just works.

I hear ya.
Writing you from Android....it's OK, don't get me wrong.
But you need a lot of external Apps for things, it keeps asking me with which program to open up certain documents and it has so many options that I don't use.

Apple keeps it simple.....

The I-phone just feels better in the hand, (hate the plastic Samsung cover) and now with the I-phone 6+ they finally have the size I always wanted.
After owning the I-phone 3GS and an I-phone 4....I will be returning to the 6s+ later this year!

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

opethfan

Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:30 am

Quoting notaxonrotax (Reply 17):
But you need a lot of external Apps for things, it keeps asking me with which program to open up certain documents and it has so many options that I don't use.

That's called the Intents system, and it's probably the biggest thing separating iOS from Android... being able to choose how you handle your files and data rather than having one way (and only one way) that Apple decides is best. Personally, I find it incredibly limiting and quite arrogant for Apple to always be locking things down their way or the highway. OS X isn't quite as bad, so I still happily use that.

(hate the plastic Samsung cover)

I've always hated the plastickyness of Samsung phones, too. I used to always have customers asking me "iPhone or Samsung?" and I'd say neither. Go LG, Sony, or HTC.

I always used to say the iPhone was too small, but now the Android makers are going bigger and bigger and all that's left at the sweet spot of 4.3-4.8" is the Sony Z3c and iPhone 6.

AirPacific747

Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:32 am

I like trying different phones, but I am beginning to be too dependent on iOS, simply because it offers an app I can only find in the app store which I use as my digital logbook. Plus it syncs between my private iPhone and my iPad for work.

And in my opinion, the quality of the apps are better in the app store compared to any of the competition. I really wish Android would improve in terms of quality of apps.

[Edited 2015-04-23 01:34:21]

notaxonrotax

Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:31 am

Quoting opethfan (Reply 18):
being able to choose how you handle your files and data rather than having one way (and only one way) that Apple decides is best.

I think that summarizes it nicely.
And then it all depends of what type of user you may be.
I quite happily have Apple work out the most efficient and bug free way of doing things for me.
I do E-mail, chat, take the odd picture, navigate and type a little text document now and then. iOS handles that quite well.
Still love the fact that it's an I-pod at the same time, and although the battery life could be better....it is very manageable with an external battery.
I live a pretty unusual life, not the one to follow fashion of ANY kind......but I am pleased to go with Apple on this one.
My life style is Android-y enough as it is.

But I am the first to understand if other people want to customize their smart phone a whole lot more.
There is not 1 answer.......to this smart phone conundrum.

OS X isn't quite as bad, so I still happily use that.

Definitely. I am a staunch defender of OS X´s stability and ease of use compared to the Windows mess!

I've always hated the plastickyness of Samsung phones, too. I used to always have customers asking me "iPhone or Samsung?" and I'd say neither. Go LG, Sony, or HTC.

Fair enough, I will have a look at those.

And in my opinion, the quality of the apps are better in the app store compared to any of the competition. I really wish Android would improve in terms of quality of apps.

I tend to agree with that too.
I managed to download quite a lot of garbage apps for Android.
Apple is believed to be quite difficult with regards to allowing an app to be sold in their store.
Hope they keep the standard up.

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

Klaus

Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:27 pm

That's called the Intents system, and it's probably the biggest thing separating iOS from Android... being able to choose how you handle your files and data rather than having one way (and only one way) that Apple decides is best. Personally, I find it incredibly limiting and quite arrogant for Apple to always be locking things down their way or the highway.

There is really not that much of a difference. iOS apps also declare which kinds of files they’re able to handle, and you can select which app you want to use with a given file.

And an app like Good Reader can serve as a general file manager and even expose its data for external access as a network drive.

[Edited 2015-04-23 05:30:16]

jetblueguy22

Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:35 pm

I hear ya.
Writing you from Android....it's OK, don't get me wrong.

That's one thing I really hated. It kept asking me "Open with" and I was like enough! Just open the darn file!

being able to choose how you handle your files and data rather than having one way (and only one way) that Apple decides is best.

But the way the phone handles the file works. The problem with android is the same software is used on too many phones. Sure the manufacturers adjust it to their models. But even then, I know my S5 was buggy as all get out, and my roommate who also has an S5 on a different carrier, is having the same issue.

but now the Android makers are going bigger and bigger and all that's left at the sweet spot of 4.3-4.8" is the Sony Z3c and iPhone 6.

The size of phones has really gotten crazy. One of my employees got a Note 4 a couple months back and I couldn't get over how massive it is. Like a tablet in his pocket.

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 19):

I love the fact that Apple is really strict on apps going in the store. Now don't get me wrong, not all apps are bad in the Play Store. All the apps put out by major companies are just as good as on iOS (Except for twitter. I HATED the twitter app on Android). But there were plenty others that were essentially just opening the apps website.
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

swissy
Topic Author

Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:02 pm

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 12):
You can deselect it in the settings.

sure you can do that...why did it turn on after an update? without any notifications. We went to Apple because it was much easier for all and i went mostly because i could not get apps i needed for my BB. IOS however went IMO the wrong way...way to frustrating lately. Great quality hardware...

Now playing around with the BB PP for the last 2 days... like it! about as wide as the I6 plus but a bit shorter   works smooth and all my documents and apps i need work just fine. Much clearer conversations compare to the I6 plus, battery? no issues just like the I6 plus   sure could live without the keyboard   LOL

cheerios

Revelation

Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:24 pm

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 22):
One of my employees got a Note 4 a couple months back and I couldn't get over how massive it is. Like a tablet in his pocket.

Yep, and I love it. I love having one device (phablet) rather than two (phone and tablet). Cheaper than two (both at purchase time and per month since it's one data plan vs 2) and easier to manage as well. It helps that I have large hands, large pockets, and don't use it as a phone as much as some other people do. When I do use it as a phone it's in a cradle and I'm using bluetooth hands free most of the time. Different strokes for different folks... I've never felt it was too big for me. I have some times wanted it to be a bit lighter, but I suspect that weight will improve over time rather than size will decrease.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

yvrtoyyz

Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:27 pm

Passport was my primary choice when looking for a new phone and I have absolutely no regrets.

BB10 OS version 10.3.1 is killer
Swipe-to-type
Swipe-to-backspace entire words vs character-by-character
Smaller keyboard = more screen space
Pop-up numbers/icons is intuitive
Swipe to leave apps vs pressing button
Keyboard can be used to scroll page / move icon
40hr battery life (with medium usage)
Fits in the pocket comfortably
Belt holster is not intrusive (my preference)
Amazon App Store
Can sideload SNAP (Google App Store)
BBM
BB Blend

I could go on-and-on but those are the highlights for me.

opethfan

Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:00 pm

Quoting notaxonrotax (Reply 20):

I tend to agree with that too.
I managed to download quite a lot of garbage apps for Android.
Apple is believed to be quite difficult with regards to allowing an app to be sold in their store.
Hope they keep the standard up.

That quote wasn't me.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 21):
There is really not that much of a difference. iOS apps also declare which kinds of files they’re able to handle, and you can select which app you want to use with a given file.

iOS has no native intents handling, and Apple actively block apps from the store that duplicate functionality of its own apps. The only reason Chrome is allowed is because it uses the Safari rendering engine instead of the native Chrome one.

That's one thing I really hated. It kept asking me "Open with" and I was like enough! Just open the darn file!

So hit the "Always" button?

The problem with android is the same software is used on too many phones. Sure the manufacturers adjust it to their models. But even then, I know my S5 was buggy as all get out, and my roommate who also has an S5 on a different carrier, is having the same issue.

Every Android device since the Nexus One has used a standard ARMv7 instruction set with a GCC compiler. The issue isn't so much that it's the same software, it's that each manufacturer modifies it. And that means taking the software that's been tested by Google, replacing huge chunks of it with something made by a programmer whose probably never met the original authors, pushes it out in a few months for the next deadline without sufficient testing, and then the company moves onto the next phone, so it never gets bug fixes or security updates.

It's terrible and it ruins the ecosystem.

But Windows, OS X, and Linux all work great on a variety of hardware. It's only phones and other embedded devices that have this weird "custom fit" software. I'd very much like to move to a one-distribution-fits-all trend heading forward.

The size of phones has really gotten crazy. One of my employees got a Note 4 a couple months back and I couldn't get over how massive it is. Like a tablet in his pocket.

I already can't reach the top corner of my Nexus 5 while holding the phone with a "pinkie shelf" - 4.5" is the size for me. (hurhurhur)

I love the fact that Apple is really strict on apps going in the store.

I agree - Google Play requires a nice sort out of apps that haven't been update in years, are clones, just open web pages, etc.

(Except for twitter. I HATED the twitter app on Android)

Falcon Pro 3 costs $4 for your first account, but is absolutely brilliant. Instagram support, handy notifications, frequent updates, etc.

swissy
Topic Author

Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:33 pm

Quoting YVRtoYYZ (Reply 25):

Passport was my primary choice when looking for a new phone and I have absolutely no regrets.

Understand you! it is rather cool once you get the hang out the keyboard functions   discovering new good stuff by the minute... no regrets here so far.
Now i have to find someone that wants an unlocked I6plus 128g with apple care  

cheerios

OA260

Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:40 pm

I have been a fan of the iPhone since the 4 came out. Currently on the 5S but was not impressed at all by the 6. Just don't like the design and it feels cheap. I didn't bother to ''upgrade''. I don't really have any issues with IOS and everything works well. So at the moment staying with what I have and hoping that Apple will offer an upgrade based on the 5S design otherwise I can see myself getting another 5S if I need to replace my current one. I had Blackberrys and didn't like them at all.

TLG

Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:53 am

I believe you're missing something here. Whenever the "Open with" prompt comes up, it also gives you two options: "Just once" & "Always". If you choose "Always", the app you select becomes the default. Android handles this exactly like Windows.

N776AU

Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:51 pm

I LOVE my 6 Plus. It's a huge upgrade from my 5. Before that I was rocking a dumb phone. Talk about moving up in the world. I enjoy Android and Windows phones as well, but I have so much in the App Store already in my name it would be hard to migrate. Not to mention I do like iOS. It's very clean and for someone like my either of parents it's idiot-proof. I no longer have to be the over-the-phone tech support, at least not for their phones anyway   

Quoting opethfan (Reply 13):
iPhone: Do things your way? Why would you want to do that? Our way. Our charger. Our apps. Our phone. Not yours.

Exactly why my phone is jailbroken.
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.

Rara

Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:04 pm

Quoting opethfan (Reply 26):
I love the fact that Apple is really strict on apps going in the store.

I agree - Google Play requires a nice sort out of apps that haven't been update in years, are clones, just open web pages, etc.

Honestly - when is that ever a problem? I see so many people complain that there's a lot of junk in the Google Play store. Yes, there is - but where is that relevant? There are hundred thousands of apps, no-one would just go into the Play store and just download a random one, just to see that it's crap. I mean, how do you usually choose the apps you download? You get a recommendation from a friend, you search for a specific app (and you immediately see the ratings and the comments), you are directed towards an app from a website, or from a newspaper article etc. Nine times out of ten the app then delivers quite what you want from it. I don't see how the junk is ever a relevant problem unless you go to the Play store and specifically choose some random junk and then say "well that's junk. How annoying."

There's a lot of junk on the internet - does that make the internet bad?
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

chrisair

Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:43 pm

Blackberry is still in business? I'm shocked.

Seriously though, a coworker just had to get her S4 cleaned of viruses. Apparently she downloaded some programs from Google Play and picked up some nasty viruses that more or less disabled her phone.

swissy
Topic Author

Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:01 am

Quoting chrisair (Reply 32):

Blackberry is still in business? I'm shocked.

LOL yup just like Apple still is!  
Quoting chrisair (Reply 32):
Seriously though, a coworker just had to get her S4 cleaned of viruses. Apparently she downloaded some programs from Google Play and picked up some nasty viruses that more or less disabled her phone.

Just a matter of time it will hit the "smart phones" hard. I would say about 80% the apps i got from Apple worked fine...rest not so or were junk IMO

Cheerios

opethfan

Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:20 am

Quoting Rara (Reply 31):
Honestly - when is that ever a problem?

For me, never. I know what apps are good, and I don't download willy-nilly. But when I worked in the field there were so many instances of kids downloading terrible ad-filled Minecraft clones, old people with "news" apps that required every permission under the sun, and teens who downloaded music downloading apps that were just frontends to MegaUpload.

Just like how I can run Windows without an antivirus, but there's always a family friend who gets Bonzi Buddy, Cryptolocker, and Blaster worms past their Kapersky antivirus.

Quoting Rara (Reply 31):
There's a lot of junk on the internet - does that make the internet bad?

The internet isn't a "walled garden" with a brand presenting it to you under their umbrella. If the repositories of my Linux distro contained deliberately malicious software, I'd be pissed with the distribution, too.

Quoting swissy (Reply 33):
LOL yup just like Apple still is!  

When was the last time Apple laid off a double digit percentage of their workforce and had rumours of their sales floated around?

jamincan

Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:36 pm

I was using a Z10 and am now using a Oneplus One. On the whole, the BB10 OS is far better than Android (I've used iOS on other people's phones or tablets and wouldn't even consider it, though I love my Macbook Air). The Hub, in particular, is a far superior method for notifications, especially for more productivity-focused people. I also loved BB's virtual keyboard and long for a similar one to be available on Android (no, Swiftkey doesn't cut it). Task switching seems far more intuitive than Android and iOS as well; they never really feel like multitasking in the way that BB10 does.

Ultimately the battery life on the Z10 led me to seek another phone and I heard good things about the Oneplus One. While it has delivered on the battery life (usually good for two days with regular usage), I'm much less satisfied with Android over BB10, even with the greater freedom offered by CyanogenMod. Software considerations aside, the phone itself is very well crafted and the material they use on the back has got to be one of the nicest I've ever seen.

Apple's proprietary connectors for their devices immediately disqualifies them from consideration for me, but on the whole, I find iOS to emphasize aesthetics far too much over function. It seems that there have been some improvements with the most recent updates (such as allowing replacement keyboards - the stock one was by far the worst of the bunch), but I still generally find using iOS devices frustrating and dissatisfying.

chrisair

Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:30 pm

Quoting opethfan (Reply 34):
When was the last time Apple laid off a double digit percentage of their workforce and had rumours of their sales floated around?

Rumors? They posted a 33% drop in revenue in Q1. Total revenues were $660 million--their lowest in 8 years. To put that in perspective, their highest quarterly revenue was in 2011 when they reported more than $5 billion in revenue.

They sold 1.6 million handsets in Q1 compared to 74.5 million iPhones. These aren't rumors. The numbers are contained in their financials.

It's a sad state of affairs for that company, which really laid the groundwork for the smart phones (most of us) use today.

Quoting swissy (Reply 33):
Just a matter of time it will hit the "smart phones" hard. I would say about 80% the apps i got from Apple worked fine...rest not so or were junk IMO

You're absolutely right. However, I think viruses will be more prevalent on Android based smart phones since it's an open system. I wouldn't worry about apps from legit developers (like Google Maps, Instagram, Uber etc) but I'd be more wary about apps from Joe Blow developer.

opethfan

Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:27 pm

Quoting chrisair (Reply 36):
Rumors? They posted a 33% drop in revenue in Q1. Total revenues were $660 million--their lowest in 8 years. To put that in perspective, their highest quarterly revenue was in 2011 when they reported more than $5 billion in revenue.

They sold 1.6 million handsets in Q1 compared to 74.5 million iPhones. These aren't rumors. The numbers are contained in their financials.

It's a sad state of affairs for that company, which really laid the groundwork for the smart phones (most of us) use today.

That's still a very, very far cry away from anything like RIM are experiencing. Any claim to the contrary is, frankly, delusional.

swissy
Topic Author

Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:27 pm

Quoting opethfan (Reply 37):
That's still a very, very far cry away from anything like RIM are experiencing. Any claim to the contrary is, frankly, delusional.

Was pointing out Apple once was at the brink to puff up in hot air also and look at them today... BB has what it takes (technology) to pull out of it and make a comeback...provided they have the proper folks in place  

most industries/companies go through the motions... grow grow grow, down size down size... story of life, single digits or double digits...does not matter, all secondary  
You're absolutely right. However, I think viruses will be more prevalent on Android based smart phones since it's an open system. I wouldn't worry about apps from legit developers (like Google Maps, Instagram, Uber etc) but I'd be more wary about apps from Joe Blow developer.

Agree... Android is very vulnerable...albeit super cool if you know what you are doing with it. Apple much better but with that you get way more restrictions... The more these smart phones advance in their abilities what they can do and are used for "over all security" will have to step it up large. Believe overall BB has today the best possible security available in the smart phone market. Still deal with some global companies and most of them are with BB...ok their employees are crying because they don't have these super cool apps like the iphones/android..just the stuff they actually need to do their work  

Yup... once you re on top of the mountain?? only way is? down...

cheerios

LFutia

Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:03 am

Quoting opethfan (Reply 16):
I have a Nexus 5 and love it. If Sony ever release a Z3 Compact with stock Lollipop, I'll bite immediately.

I'm yet to get Lollipop. I kind of want it but on the otherhand I dont want it. Anyone have it so far?

Leo/ORD
Leo/ORD

opethfan

Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:58 am

Quoting LFutia (Reply 39):
I'm yet to get Lollipop. I kind of want it but on the otherhand I dont want it. Anyone have it so far?

I have it on my Nexus 5; it's fantastic. Smooth, beautiful, and stable. I love Material Design. It still has some nasty battery drain bugs, and smart unlock is very much a WIP, but it's an incredible OS. Notifications especially just keep getting better and better.

TLG

Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:26 pm

Quoting LFutia (Reply 39):

I have a Nexus 6 and Lollipop is rock solid. But that should be expected because the Nexus 6 had Lollipop originally. It never had anything else. It's already had about 4 or 5 OS updates.