Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

duke
Topic Author

Would You Like It If More Women Wore Pigtails?

Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:32 pm

Pigtails (called "bunches" in the UK) are very rarely seen on grown women. So here's a little question: how would you like it if more women started wearing them? I'll immediately say for myself that I think that would be awesome and that it's too bad that lots of people write them off as childish. On the right woman, they can be real cute and not immature at all. The great thing about a woman wearing pigtails is that it allows you both to see the beauty of the long hair and to look at the contour of the head, the exposed nape of the neck and the part in the back of the head. I always liked pigtails on women (on the very rare occasions where I saw them), but didn't really think about it in any great depth until last year, when I got acquainted with the ultimate pigtail person, the very talented film critic Lindsay Ellis, who wears them as part of her "Nostalgia Chick" online persona. The style of her pigtails has actually varied quite a bit over the years. Here's her first review (Pocahontas, 2008), where she wears them rather low:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjwMn_eO2jo

At one point in 2010, she cut her hair into a bob. I'm glad she let her nice brown hair grow out again (not that she did not look good when it was chin length) but even so, when it was shorter, the resulting little pigtails were cuter than a pile of kittens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jvoWNAWjEc

When her hair grew out, she eventually started wearing the pigtails hitched up real high on her head, which IMO is the ULTIMATE way of wearing them. Have a look at these, aren't they EPIC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7nr5YajWJc

http://hellyeahobscuruslupa.tumblr.com/post/40525139116

http://www.screwattack.com/news/flap...ing-blog-ep-114-boldly-flee-review

IIRC, I was a little disappointed when I found out that this was not Lindsay's everyday look; she conceived the pigtails for her "Nostalgia Chick" character and they basically represent the character's being a sort of "womanchild". Which brings me to people's general perception of pigtails on adult women. Going from what I've googled on the subject, it seems to be the kind of thing you either love or hate. A lot of people are dead-set against them, claiming they look silly and childish. And then there are some women who e.g. find them practical, as well as guys who really like the idea of their girlfriend/wife wearing them. My thoughts: isn't writing them off as childish just an impression people have and just one of these artificial conventions that society has developed which needlessly and arbitrarily restrict people's choices (such as the stupid idea that you shouldn't wear white after Labor Day and the even stupider idea that you should stop wearing hair past a certain length when you turn 40)? How about just looking past the person's age and taking into account how well the pigtails suit a particular individual? I agree that like any look, they may not look good on everyone, and the older you are, the less becoming they may tend to eventually get, but why assign random standards to them? If someone thinks they look good, they should just wear them and not be judged as immature or what have you, no? At any rate, I might just be asking a future girlfriend, very nicely, to at least wear some pigtails around the house from time to time when nobody else is looking.  

So, who shares my liking of pigtails? Come on, fess up, deep down, you do like those things, dontcha?   

Braybuddy

RE: Would You Like It If More Women Wore Pigtails?

Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:41 pm

Quoting duke (Thread starter):
So, who shares my liking of pigtails? Come on, fess up, deep down, you do like those things, dontcha?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm . . . there wouldn't be a little fetish going on here, now would there?  

LAX772LR

Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:52 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 1):
there wouldn't be a little fetish going on here, now would there?

This post seems a bit more appropriate for Xtube Personals or Craigslist, to be honest.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

vikkyvik

Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:10 pm

Well. That's probably the longest post about pigtails that I've ever read.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

duke
Topic Author

Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:53 pm

Hmmmmmmmmmmm . . . there wouldn't be a little fetish going on here, now would there?

This post wasn't meant as "fetishing". I recall there being other posts on Anet about what people like/don't like on men or women. Is discussing this to be considered inappropriate? So I mentioned I liked pigtails. Are they a fetish for me? Well, do I think they're cute? Yes, I do. Am I enthusiastic about them? Yes, I am. Do I get a major high from them that forces me to share my enthusiasm with others and read their posts in order to increase my high? No, I don't. So if it's a "fetish" for me, then it's no more a fetish than liking blond or brown hair, blue or green eyes, miniskirts, leggings, perma-stubble, whatever else. My post was simply meant to see if anyone else shared my liking of this unusual style and to suggest that it may be close-minded to dismiss it as "childish" or "immature". I don't get any special high from it.

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 3):

I tend to be long-winded in my posts when I want to make a point.

Braybuddy

Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:32 pm

Quoting duke (Reply 4):
This post wasn't meant as "fetishing". I recall there being other posts on Anet about what people like/don't like on men or women. Is discussing this to be considered inappropriate? So I mentioned I liked pigtails. Are they a fetish for me? Well, do I think they're cute? Yes, I do. Am I enthusiastic about them? Yes, I am. Do I get a major high from them that forces me to share my enthusiasm with others and read their posts in order to increase my high? No, I don't. So if it's a "fetish" for me, then it's no more a fetish than liking blond or brown hair, blue or green eyes, miniskirts, leggings, perma-stubble, whatever else. My post was simply meant to see if anyone else shared my liking of this unusual style and to suggest that it may be close-minded to dismiss it as "childish" or "immature". I don't get any special high from it.

No need to be so offended, it was only a playful reply (as indicated by the  ) on what was certainly an unusual post. I didn't say or imply there was anything childish or immature about it.

duke
Topic Author

Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:47 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 5):
No need to be so offended, it was only a playful reply (as indicated by the ) on what was certainly an unusual post. I didn't say or imply there was anything childish or immature about it.

OK, I just wanted to make it clear that the post was really just meant to discuss what I wrote at face value and that there are no ulterior fetish-trolling motives. BTW, the comment about being childish or immature referred to pigtails themselves, as I wrote in the original post - my point was that I think that stereotype about them should end.

Braybuddy

Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:10 am

Quoting duke (Reply 6):
my point was that I think that stereotype about them should end.

Well you're probably too young to remember, but they were enormously popular with clubbers twenty years ago. I have no doubt that their time will come round again:

Macarena

Saturday Night

Ahhhhh . . . the '90s  Cool

[Edited 2015-04-19 17:13:15]

IMissPiedmont

Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:57 am

I will fess up and say I do not like pigtails, ever. They should be strongly discouraged on anyone over the age of three.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

Max Q

Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:06 am

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, ok                  
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

KFLLCFII

Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:37 am

"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

Kiwirob

Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:41 am

You wouldn't see me complaining.

tommy1808

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:55 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 7):
I have no doubt that their time will come round again:

I see many girls in their early 20's running around with pigtails and it does have a cuteness factor.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

PhilBy

Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:42 pm

Quoting duke (Thread starter):
Pigtails (called "bunches" in the UK)

Pigtails are certainly not called bunches in the UK. Bunches are loose hair and pigtails are plaited/braided. Not one of the photos above shows pigtails!

flyingturtle

Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:13 pm

I had to google "pigtail".

The first result was a Harnleiterschiene. German for a ureter stent.

I don't mind any person wearing pigtails. I think their medical problems make for a good smalltalk topic.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

Skydrol

Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:08 pm

I have no problem with pigtails.  

Funny, the first image that came to mind with this topic was when Blanche Ravalec with glasses and pigtails came to the rescue of giant Richard Kiel in Moonraker, and then they fell in love.

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

duke
Topic Author

Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:03 am

Quoting PhilBy (Reply 13):
Pigtails are certainly not called bunches in the UK. Bunches are loose hair and pigtails are plaited/braided. Not one of the photos above shows pigtails!

In North America, we tend to call the loose ones "pigtails" and the braided ones can be called pigtails but are sometimes just referred to as "braids". I myself have found the terminology confusing in the past. I was mainly thinking of the loose ones (the braided ones seem a tad more common on grown women) but sure, why not? Braids are way cool.

YVRLTN

Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:36 am

I (still...) have a Katy Perry crush and she wears pigtails sometimes. The red t shirt with eyes...

Other than that I think I will stick to snowglobes  
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

fallap

Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:38 am

Oh yes. It's also an advantage when giving blowjobs  
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

bjorn14

Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:11 am

I prefer ponytails, pigtails not so much. A ponytail through a basebll hat is kind of sexy. IMHumbleO
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

bhill

Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:34 pm

Handle bars..........................................
Carpe Pices